Cell Phone Jammers

symbiotix

• Member Contributer

Well put Knife, and I agree also.

We just had a fairly strict cell phone/laptop/pda law passed (doesn't go into effect until Jan 2011), so we've had a lot of dialog on this. Enforceability is a big concern. All the LEOs have acknowledged it will be impossible to 'catch' everyone, or even a majority.

The longer-term better answer to me seems to be to use technology to help save us from ourselves. A couple possibilities - cell phone jammer in all cell phones, activated by the phone's accelerometer (i.e. over a certain speed, no phone). Doesn't help passengers, but maybe activated within X distance of the steering column. Cell phone jammer in all vehicles, activated when over a certain speed. (Also doesn't help passengers yet, but we'll see the ability to have only the area of the driver scrambled before long at all.)

Ironically, I'm generally against the erosion of personal choice, but I'm in favor of our new law. I've already seen way to much stupidity in my lifetime related to cell phones and not paying attention.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The longer-term better answer to me seems to be to use technology to help save us from ourselves.

With all due respect, I sure hope that you are in a minority on this one.

• Member Contributer

The longer-term better answer to me seems to be to use technology to help save us from ourselves.

With all due respect, I sure hope that you are in a minority on this one.

I understood the irony of what I wrote. Even more ironically, I agree with you. :cheerleader: Worse, far too often I don't think we can save us from ourselves. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Just what the hell do people have to talk about that they're constantly on the phone? It's like an addiction. I don't get it. And I don't know what the solution is either. I just ride past and give them a "hang up the f*ckin' phone" gesture, but they just return a dumb stare.

They need to know what's going on. I don't have a landline, but I do turn my cell phone on once or twice a week to check for messages. :cheerleader:

Once or twice a week? You are my hero!

most of the people i see jawing on the phone while driving.. ARE COPS!!!! :mellow: :biggrin:

If the law is written anything like California's cell phone law, then it doesn't apply to LEO's.

To the OP, get over it. Other people are always going to talk on their cell phones and there is nothing you can legally do about it. Now your idea of having the jammer is going to be distracting YOU from doing what you should be, riding and dodging all the drivers talking on their phones out there.

• Member Contributer

most of the people i see jawing on the phone while driving.. ARE COPS!!!! :mellow: :biggrin:

That's how it is in the town that I'm from....always on the phone?? Who could they possibly be talking to?

I can understand that there are people out there that can drive/ride and multi-task, and I'm one of the 1st ones to NOT want more legislation (which most of this crap can't be inforced anyway). Unfortunately the percentage of the ones that can are on the low side, while the rest think they CAN multi-task so they see no need to stop trying......

So don't think just because I "don't like" the fact that most of these twits can't drive/ride and multi-task, that I want more laws on the books..... I just like to say something about how I feel once in a while, it does the soul good..... and like deer it's something we just have to watch out for and hope we can stay out of their way.....

I have called in to the hi-way dept. to get the deer crossing signs moved to roads I don't use, so they'll cross there, but so far they haven't done it, and the deer are still crossing in front of me(all ways look for sets).:)

Just what the hell do people have to talk about that they're constantly on the phone? It's like an addiction. I don't get it. And I don't know what the solution is either. I just ride past and give them a "hang up the f*ckin' phone" gesture, but they just return a dumb stare.

I do turn my cell phone on once or twice a week to check for messages. :biggrin:

i must say, don't see too many people saying that. i have my phone on all the time (cause of work and wife), but i don't get very many calls to even warrant having the darn thing. since i don't talk much, if at all, while driving, i miss calls cause i wait to pull over and then call whomever back. they complain, but being in the military, those darn regulations help me NOT to talk to people cause it would be really unsafe to talk while driving. gotta love it.

as far as the jammer thingy, i agree with not having it. just what i don't need.... are people trying to figure out the dropped call. so much easier to drop a few gears, rap her up, and drown out their call. LOL. not that i can do that since my bike has stock exhaust and is entirely TOO quiet.

That's how it is in the town that I'm from....always on the phone?? Who could they possibly be talking to?

putting in an order at Dunkin Donuts?

I do turn my cell phone on once or twice a week to check for messages. :biggrin:

i must say, don't see too many people saying that. i have my phone on all the time (cause of work and wife), but i don't get very many calls to even warrant having the darn thing. since i don't talk much, if at all, while driving, i miss calls cause i wait to pull over and then call whomever back. they complain, but being in the military, those darn regulations help me NOT to talk to people cause it would be really unsafe to talk while driving. gotta love it.

as far as the jammer thingy, i agree with not having it. just what i don't need.... are people trying to figure out the dropped call. so much easier to drop a few gears, rap her up, and drown out their call. LOL. not that i can do that since my bike has stock exhaust and is entirely TOO quiet.

Yeh... I had the same phone up bringing, 1st my Father (8 years service) say say what you need to get the point across and get off the phone in case of incoming... Then myself with 8 years of service ... same thing........ When I worked for FedEx I had to have the phone 24/7..... But now I'm retired from FedEx, and the cell...... I've told my family to send a email if they want me to turn my phone on for an incoming call......

• Member Contributer

I think I want to get one of these things... JUST so anytime I go someplace w/ the wife, I won't have to listen to half-conversations. I swear... that woman WEARS her cell phone. :pissed:

I do turn my cell phone on once or twice a week to check for messages. :mellow:

I have a cheap little pos pre-paid phone, the only time it gets turned on is when I'm going on a trip somewhere. And that's how I like it. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I think I want to get one of these things... JUST so anytime I go someplace w/ the wife, I won't have to listen to half-conversations. I swear... that woman WEARS her cell phone. :laughing6-hehe:

Now, that's a worthy cause :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Second time in two days with a texter swerving in my lane. :blush: Care to share what your gesture is, I'd like to start using it.

I don't get the constantly on the phone virus either..."Hi, yes, I'm actually in the grocery store picking out a zucchini while ignoring this guy who wants to get around me, yes, I know, the zucchinis are really great right now, what, you're cooking pasta, no way, tell me what kind of sauce, omg, did you know tomatoes are on sale....."

Good grief...

Second time in two days with a texter swerving in my lane. :wheel: Care to share what your gesture is, I'd like to start using it.

I don't get the constantly on the phone virus either..."Hi, yes, I'm actually in the grocery store picking out a zucchini while ignoring this guy who wants to get around me, yes, I know, the zucchinis are really great right now, what, you're cooking pasta, no way, tell me what kind of sauce, omg, did you know tomatoes are on sale....."

Good grief...

I know this may sound like I'm old, but people seemed to do fine 15 years ago without them..........

• Member Contributer

"Hi, yes, I'm actually in the grocery store picking out a zucchini while ignoring this guy who wants to get around me, yes, I know, the zucchinis are really great right now, what, you're cooking pasta, no way, tell me what kind of sauce, omg, did you know tomatoes are on sale....."

:wheel:

I think my score yesterday in my "See how many cellphone conversations you can get mentioned in" game was 4.5. Three of them were definites because I made gestures. Wild, flailing gestures. Another one actually hung up on account of the 9K rpm hovering I was doing. The 0.5 was a guy, all by his lonesome doing under the speed limit in the fast lane with open lanes to his right. Had he not been on his cell phone, I like to think that he might have followed the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs. Which are black text on white backgrounds here, which makes them mandatory. :lobby: Anyway, I looked right at him, made eye contact, and just shook my head. I think he might've paused his conversation for a bit, but man, it was like looking into the eyes of a zombie. Just nothing there. A half-mile up the road, I looked back and saw him still camping out, oblivious.

Sorry, folks, but down here where it is still legal in most places, it is not a "policing" issue. It is a societal issue. It is a lack of mutual respect, like intentionally cutting in line at the grocery store. Eventually, people are going to get tired of it and react rather than wait for laws to catch up to the complaints and statistics...

• Member Contributer

"Hi, yes, I'm actually in the grocery store picking out a zucchini while ignoring this guy who wants to get around me, yes, I know, the zucchinis are really great right now, what, you're cooking pasta, no way, tell me what kind of sauce, omg, did you know tomatoes are on sale....."

:cheerleader:

I think my score yesterday in my "See how many cellphone conversations you can get mentioned in" game was 4.5. Three of them were definites because I made gestures. Wild, flailing gestures. Another one actually hung up on account of the 9K rpm hovering I was doing. The 0.5 was a guy, all by his lonesome doing under the speed limit in the fast lane with open lanes to his right. Had he not been on his cell phone, I like to think that he might have followed the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs. Which are black text on white backgrounds here, which makes them mandatory. :wub: Anyway, I looked right at him, made eye contact, and just shook my head. I think he might've paused his conversation for a bit, but man, it was like looking into the eyes of a zombie. Just nothing there. A half-mile up the road, I looked back and saw him still camping out, oblivious.

Sorry, folks, but down here where it is still legal in most places, it is not a "policing" issue. It is a societal issue. It is a lack of mutual respect, like intentionally cutting in line at the grocery store. Eventually, people are going to get tired of it and react rather than wait for laws to catch up to the complaints and statistics...

You're fortunate to be living in Texas where I understand that it's legal to shoot asshats that just will not vacate the left lane. I may just visit your great state for a left-laner hunting trip. Is it open season? I imagine they can be shot during rutting season to keep the population well under control and diminishing every year. Do you also have a driving-while-cell-phoning hunting season? If so, I may just move to Texas rather than just visit.

:goofy:

Where I live in North Dallas it is even worse....bunch of overpriced cars with people that are texting, or maybe web browsing, while driving. I am amazed that people can't manage to spend 5 minutes alone in their cars...they have to be talking to someone.

I have thought about these cell phone jammers, but arrived at the same conclusion...it would cause them to get all concerned and lose even more concentration...plus they wouldn't do much for texters.

Too bad it is illegal to display a concealed weapon....

so how do you shoot someone? thru your coat? :idea3:

reminds me i need to check CCW laws here in MO.

• Member Contributer

You lose me when you try to claim some sort of moral high ground. If you just said, "They piss me off and I want to be an a$$," then it's at least something I can relate to.

• Member Contributer

I am a technophile. I absolutely love technology. Maybe that's why I am an electrical engineer. But I also consider myself a responsible adult capable of making a decision and willing to suffer the consequences of said choice. With that said, I talk on the road as little as possible while in a car and not at all when I am driving the VFR because I have to dedicate 100% of my concentration to staying alive.

Would I use a cell phone jammer? No. Not because I think it's wrong morally. I just don't think it will do any good. Idiots are idiots whether due to being distracted by their cell phone or the kids in the back seat or trying to eat their double quarter pounder, etc. In fact, that is why I installed my most beloved farkle I have ever owned....my Stebel Nautilus. Nothing like it in the world to shake those dolly day dreamers back into reality. It works wonders for both parties involved. The ethereal satisfaction of watching someone blabbing on a cell phone doing the lane wandering two step practically shart their pants as they knee jerk back into their lane in wide eyed fright as they look over expecting a semi truck to be bearing down on them giving me the room I need to accelerate safely through my lane is incredibly gratifying in every possible aspect I can think of in those situations. :idea3:

And a final point I would like to make is that almost all cell phones out there have integrated GPS systems now. With a minor firmware update it would be the easiest thing in the world to disable texting/talking while the phone is in motion (say above 20 mph?) while still allowing 911 calls for emergencies. Of course that would require said updates to be federally mandated which is the sad indicator of how low people's standards on responsibility have fallen. And it would never happen because those with money and influence are fully integrated into their electronic leashes and suffering even a minor inconvenience would be an affront. But the option is always out there should it be needed....

so how do you shoot someone? thru your coat? :cool:

No, to shoot them I would certainly have to draw the gun, but it would be tempting to let them see it to know you are a bit upset....but that is VERY illegal and would get you arrested and = the loss of your CCW.

• Member Contributer

so how do you shoot someone? thru your coat? :cool:

You should check CC laws in different states. Kind of interesting. In Tenn., for example, if you have a permit, you can carry concealed or openly. In the state where I live, it has to be concealed but the law is very clear about when I can legally "unconceal" my gun and use it on someone. Look up "the castle law".

BTW, the length of this thread reminds me of people that talk on cell phones a lot while driving....... :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

You lose me when you try to claim some sort of moral high ground. If you just said, "They piss me off and I want to be an a$$," then it's at least something I can relate to.

Well, I'm sorry I lost you. But IMHO being pissed off and being right are not mutually exclusive. Likewise, being "wrong" and illegal are not prerequisites for each other. If drunk driving were legal, would the act bother you less? Maybe it would be only a minor annoyance not worth getting in a tizzy over?

I'm not perfect, and I'm not a perfect rider. But with regards to cellphone usage, there is a "high ground," and I'm going to claim it - because I categorically don't use my phone when riding/driving. It's a pet peeve of mine, obviously. There are sacrifices involved (like I have to go all the way home to find out I need to stop for a gallon of milk) but I accept that. My company, as a policy, doesn't even allow cellphone usage while driving on company business, so I've kinda gotten used to it anyway.

FWIW, Implying the little antics of mine that I described above are "being an a$$" sounds like it's coming from the kind of person who gets "shushed" in the movie theater and doesn't understand why. Maybe "being an a$$" is all relative... :cool:

Archived