Cell Phone Jammers

symbiotix

I was looking on dealextreme and stumbled across various different models of cell phone jammers for reasonable prices. The reviews seem to dictate that they work pretty well - although range isn't as promised. I was thinking this would be a very satisfying piece of tech to have with you on the bike or in your car. Has anyone tried one?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4355

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24233

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7978

-P@

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I would prefer no talking on the road...... I would rather drive past someone happily talking on the phone than someone suddenly fumbling with their phone because it dropped their call.

I like the concept.... But being an on going devils advocate, I have two problems with it..... The range is poor..... by the time it might work would put us close to them about the time they quit talking and start looking at the phone to see what is the matter with it.... Which could put us in more danger.... Maybe if they made one that would just start a verbal warning to watch where you're going.... :fing02:

I was thinking more for those moments where your driving, some retard cuts you off, you look them in the eye, acknowledge they're breaking the law, then with a flip of a switch shut em down.

Or simply just to carry with you into any coffee shop and silence the self-righteous jackass that can't put down a phone to order his coffee.

• Member Contributer

Why do you need one? :fing02:

To me it is similar to when people drive just under the speed limit in the left lane in order to enforce speed limit...

I prefer to leave enforcement of the law to the police.

For instance, have a bluetooth connection to my car's built-in phone. When I drive, I just talk and the car does all the phone work for me.

Not distructing and perfectly legal. I would not want someone jamming my signal.

Cellphone jammers are illegal and if caught with one it is a Federal crime.

....yeah yeah I work with the ministry of transportation often, so I am aware of the legalities, but I'm still gonna buy one. :fing02:

Quite frankly, I commute 75km/day and each trip I encounter 5-20 drivers who are chatting on their cells sans bluetooth. In Ontario they simply aren't enforcing the laws as much as they should be.

• Member Contributer

These guys carry something with the range you need - but what they have on top might give you more satisfying results. Maybe switch to a Gold Wing and recruit someone to ride pillion?

Humvee_US_Army_news_01102007_001.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm not one for tolerating others infringing on my rights and choices, so I make it a point not to do likewise.

• Member Contributer

When I drive, I just talk and the car does all the phone work for me.

Not distructing and perfectly legal.

Actually, research has proven that it is not "holding" the cellphone that makes the conversation dangerous, it is the conversation itself. The act of sustaining a conversation takes more brain power than you might think - and keeps your mind off the road and surroundings. Which is why the hands-free concept is not exactly the solution. Sorry.

I agree that a jammer is a bad idea. I would rather have a paintball gun to "mark" the windows of vehicles who previously did not know I was there. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I not one for tolerating others infringing on my rights and choices, so I make it a point not to do likewise.

Ditto. And, you're very tactful Knife. Ditto on Rice too.

• Member Contributer

I think that we are policed enough as it is. Sometimes more than enough.

I do not want some concerned citizen to shoot a paint ball (I know you were kidding) or something else into my car just because he feels that I should not be scratching my azz while driving.

Actually, research has proven that it is not "holding" the cellphone that makes the conversation dangerous, it is the conversation itself. The act of sustaining a conversation takes more brain power than you might think - and keeps your mind off the road and surroundings. Which is why the hands-free concept is not exactly the solution. Sorry.

I agree that a jammer is a bad idea. I would rather have a paintball gun to "mark" the windows of vehicles who previously did not know I was there. :fing02:

True. In fact, anything you do while driving is distructing, b/c it takes some of your attention away.

Having a conversation in you car is still legal though.

• Member Contributer

I was looking on dealextreme and stumbled across various different models of cell phone jammers for reasonable prices. The reviews seem to dictate that they work pretty well - although range isn't as promised. I was thinking this would be a very satisfying piece of tech to have with you on the bike or in your car. Has anyone tried one?

-P@

Only thing worse than someone talking on the phone while driving is someone dialing after losing a call.

Now if you had something to deal with those stubborn drivers that glue themselves to the fast lane and won't speed up or move....

So by the same rule, as soon as I see you go over the speed limit, I should be able to press a button that'll shut your bike's ECU down...

The thing is, you're actually making it more dangerous for yourself (or other commuters) as they definitely will be way more distracted if their line drops out.

Leave it alone dude, let the police police.

I agree, I read the same thing and to take it up another notch, they were saying the driver is talking to a caller and something comes up that requires his full attention, but the caller doesn't see this and keeps on jabbering(the driver now has the option to shut up/drop the phone/what ever/ but the studies show the driver tries to explain instead).

Also as was said earlier about infringing on my rights, people that can't talk and drive safely ARE infringing on my rights to use a public road safely.

• Member Contributer

I do not want some concerned citizen to shoot a paint ball (I know you were kidding) or something else into my car just because he feels that I should not be scratching my azz while driving.

True, I was kidding - I'd rather have something stronger. A paintball marker doesn't make much of a statement compared to the potential outcome of driving under the influence of electronics. :idea3:

If doing something dangerous is legal (in-car cellphone use is still legal here most places, except for school zones), I'm not sure how that is going to be "policed." Additionally, I want to know how being oblivious to surroundings and unsafe is going to be policed preventatively, i.e. prior to an incident. The fact is, talking on a cell phone (or eating, or applying makeup, or any number of the "legal" things one can do in a car) will get me and you killed. Yet, my only recourse at this point is to write my lawmakers or wait until I get run off the road? Sorry, but I'm all for a little more "policing" on this one.

I know I am preaching to the choir and apologize if this is veering political. But I just spend too much time in stop-and-go traffic every day getting cut off, run off the road, or otherwise hassled by people who are complacent about piloting a motor vehicle... :fing02:

True, I was kidding - I'd rather have something stronger. A paintball marker doesn't make much of a statement compared to the potential outcome of driving under the influence of electronics. :idea3:

If doing something dangerous is legal (in-car cellphone use is still legal here most places, except for school zones), I'm not sure how that is going to be "policed." Additionally, I want to know how being oblivious to surroundings and unsafe is going to be policed preventatively, i.e. prior to an incident. The fact is, talking on a cell phone (or eating, or applying makeup, or any number of the "legal" things one can do in a car) will get me and you killed. Yet, my only recourse at this point is to write my lawmakers or wait until I get run off the road? Sorry, but I'm all for a little more "policing" on this one.

I know I am preaching to the choir and apologize if this is veering political. But I just spend too much time in stop-and-go traffic every day getting cut off, run off the road, or otherwise hassled by people who are complacent about piloting a motor vehicle... :fing02:

Amen to that! I understand where most are coming from in that I would likely be creating more distractions than I would be solving.... For that reason, a jammer on a bike is likely a bad idea.

BUT: Case in point, tonight I was driving Snake Road in Waterdown Ontario. All of a sudden on one of the 30km/hr turns I'm faced with an oncoming asshole, in an H2, on a cell phone, AND COMPLETELY IN MY LANE. I had to upright & shoulder the bike to avoid getting taken out - while buddy was nattering away in his tinted truck. It just gets to me :idea3:

ps. For those who live in Toronto the driver was the owner of www.greatglasses.ca He lives in my neck of the woods, and he's piece of work....

• Member Contributer

-P@

Only thing worse than someone talking on the phone while driving is someone dialing after losing a call.

Now if you had something to deal with those stubborn drivers that glue themselves to the fast lane and won't speed up or move....

No, the one thing worse is someone two handed texting with the phone in their lap, head down while driving with her knee and drifting in to my lane which is what happened this afternoon. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Just what the hell do people have to talk about that they're constantly on the phone? It's like an addiction. I don't get it. And I don't know what the solution is either. I just ride past and give them a "hang up the f*ckin' phone" gesture, but they just return a dumb stare.

• Member Contributer

I started a personal challenge a few weeks ago to see how many cellphone conversations I could get mentioned in during my commute.

Granted, there is no way to know for sure - so I just have to make an educated guess. My assumption is that making the "hang up" gesture to someone making eye contact will get a at least a scoff and a "OMG, this guy on a crotch rocket just told me "hang loose."

Dropping down to third or even second on the freeway (with gutted pipes) may also work. I made a guy roll up his window the other day. :fing02:

Just what the hell do people have to talk about that they're constantly on the phone? It's like an addiction. I don't get it. And I don't know what the solution is either. I just ride past and give them a "hang up the f*ckin' phone" gesture, but they just return a dumb stare.

They need to know what's going on. I don't have a landline, but I do turn my cell phone on once or twice a week to check for messages. :fing02:

Also as was said earlier about infringing on my rights, people that can't talk and drive safely ARE infringing on my rights to use a public road safely.

According to the law, the possession of a driver's license is a privilege, not a right. You have no right to operate a motor vehicle on a public road unless you have paid your fees and received your "education" from your local Motor Vehicles office. This privilege is subject to suspension and revocation if you break the rules of the road. Unfortunately, there are violations that just aren't policed enough.

My suggestion to the original poster is to enroll in the police academy if you feel the need to personally make some changes for the better.

According to the law, the possession of a driver's license is a privilege, not a right. You have no right to operate a motor vehicle on a public road unless you have paid your fees and received your "education" from your local Motor Vehicles office. This privilege is subject to suspension and revocation if you break the rules of the road. Unfortunately, there are violations that just aren't policed enough.

My suggestion to the original poster is to enroll in the police academy if you feel the need to personally make some changes for the better.

Gotta agree with SEB here Monk. Just got done checking my Bill of Rights and nowhere is it mentioned that you are to be accorded a safe environment while driving a motor vehicle.

... and I think no reasonable citizen would expect as much. It's dangerous out there... if it ain't people on phones it's the damned deer.... now there is a jammer I would support.... Deer Jammer ®.

Shhhhh don't tell anyone.....

gallery_17230_5488_86451.jpg

Certificate

** I had posted my anonymized Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police Certificate here - but the gallery was a bit too public **

-P@

Archived