Mounting an f4i front wheel to a 6th gen

sckego

Question

• Member Contributer

I picked up a CBR600f4i front wheel with brake rotors this past weekend, hoping to use it as a spare for my 6th gen VFR. When I test-fit it, I found that the VFR spacers won't work with it; I think the RH spacer is too long. Should the f4i spacers fix this problem? Also, the VFR axle appears to fit the f4i wheel fine, but I'm not certain it will work with new spacers. Do I need a new axle along with new spacers? Has anyone fit an f4i wheel to a VFR before that would know this? Thanks for any help, guys!

I picked up a CBR600f4i front wheel with brake rotors this past weekend, hoping to use it as a spare for my 6th gen VFR. When I test-fit it, I found that the VFR spacers won't work with it; I think the RH spacer is too long. Should the f4i spacers fix this problem? Also, the VFR axle appears to fit the f4i wheel fine, but I'm not certain it will work with new spacers. Do I need a new axle along with new spacers? Has anyone fit an f4i wheel to a VFR before that would know this? Thanks for any help, guys!

Your axle will work just fine, I've put an F4i wheel in my VFR forks before. However, I installed it minus the rotors as a temporary measure to be able to roll the bike in the garage. I did not install the spacers.

I want to guess that the F4i spacers will fit and cure the problem, but I can't say for sure. I believe that the F4i wheel is wider in the hub, and therefore BOTH the VFR spacers would be too long. I sold my F4i - if I hadn't, I'd go pull the wheel and measure the spacers for you...

Oh, try checking the part numbers for the VFR axle vs. the CBR axle. From what I remember, they look very similar.

If the part numbers are the same, then you can infer that the forks are spaced the same on both bikes and that therefore the difference lies in the wheel width only, which means you could simply get F4i spacers... make sense?

If I remember correctly I used a F4i axle with VFR spacers to run a VFR wheel on F4i forks. The axles are different as are the spacers, but some combo will work. Sorry I don't have a list of the exact parts needed.

BR

If I remember correctly I used a F4i axle with VFR spacers to run a VFR wheel on F4i forks. The axles are different as are the spacers, but some combo will work. Sorry I don't have a list of the exact parts needed.

BR

Having said that, it would make sense that the F4i wheel and spacers would slot into/onto the VFR forks with the VFR axle.

• Member Contributer

Awesome, thanks guys! Just ordered an f4i axle and spacers off of ebay, should be here later this week... I'll update with the exact combination needed for this to work once I figure it out.

• Member Contributer

Awesome, thanks guys! Just ordered an f4i axle and spacers off of ebay, should be here later this week... I'll update with the exact combination needed for this to work once I figure it out.

I'm interested in how this works out too - I've been thinking of grabing an F4i front too since its supposed to be a pound or two lighter.

(Anybody weigh the 5th/6th viffer wheel and then the F4i?)

I'm interested in how this works out too - I've been thinking of grabing an F4i front too since its supposed to be a pound or two lighter.

The F4i wheels are several pounds lighter than the F4 wheels so be sure to avoid the F4's if your after lighter!

I think i have both off and bare at home if I can remember to weigh them. :idea3:

BR

The F4i wheels are several pounds lighter than the F4 wheels so be sure to avoid the F4's if your after lighter!

I think i have both off and bare at home if I can remember to weigh them. :cool:

BR

F4 wheels are also dimensionally different from the F4i, not a direct swap between those two! (F4 <-> F4i)

I have a bare F4i wheel here, but it's chrome... not a good idea for weight reduction! :idea3:

:fing02: I actually have both the front and rear in chrome, nice condish, for sale...

• Member Contributer

OK, if you want to use an f4i wheel with f4i rotors on a 6th gen VFR, you need the f4i wheel spacers, and the VFR axle.

The f4i axle is slightly longer then the VFR axle, which means that while it fits in fine, it extends too far through the RH fork for the axle bolt to screw down. Comparison: f4i on left, VFR on right.

P6250005.jpg

This is the wheel with the f4i axle installed. That axle bolt is screwed all the way down into the axle as far as it will go, and there is still a space there. The shorter VFR axle allows the bolt to bear on the fork leg, without bottoming out.

P6250006.jpg

BTW, if anyone needs an f4i axle and bolt, let me know, cause I can't use it!

OK, if you want to use an f4i wheel with f4i rotors on a 6th gen VFR, you need the f4i wheel spacers, and the VFR axle.

The f4i axle is slightly longer then the VFR axle, which means that while it fits in fine, it extends too far through the RH fork for the axle bolt to screw down. Comparison: f4i on left, VFR on right.

P6250005.jpg

This is the wheel with the f4i axle installed. That axle bolt is screwed all the way down into the axle as far as it will go, and there is still a space there. The shorter VFR axle allows the bolt to bear on the fork leg, without bottoming out.

P6250006.jpg

BTW, if anyone needs an f4i axle and bolt, let me know, cause I can't use it!

Will this work on a 5th Gen VFR too? I am in the process of restoring a crashed bike and I have found a few F4i wheels near me in pretty good condition.

• Member Contributer

Will this work on a 5th Gen VFR too? I am in the process of restoring a crashed bike and I have found a few F4i wheels near me in pretty good condition.

That's a good question. I know that the spacers are different on the 5th & 6th gens, so I guessing this won't work exactly at sckego did it.

I just bought all the parts to do this on my 2000 VFR, I hope I didn't go to all this trouble for nothing. Maybe custom spacers can be machined? Are the forks different from a 2000 bike as compared to a 2002 bike?

I just bought all the parts to do this on my 2000 VFR, I hope I didn't go to all this trouble for nothing. Maybe custom spacers can be machined? Are the forks different from a 2000 bike as compared to a 2002 bike?

Yes, 5th gens run a 41mm fork and 6th gens run a 43mm fork.

Not sure how much that matters though?

• Member Contributer

Did the f4i wheel swap on 5th gen, f4i wheel is only 300 grams lighter than f4 and vfr wheel, f4i hub is bigger so maybe some weight savings moving to outer diameter of the rim, f4i axel and spacers needed.

• Member Contributer

I did the F4i fork swap -- I put 6th gen triples and F4i forks on my 5th gen, de-linked the brakes and kept the 5th gen front wheel, axles and spacers. Now I have the option for F4i front wh3l now too if I buy spacers! Cool!

• Member Contributer

Yea Switchblade,

Was hoping for more, thoughts were on forum it was lbs. lighter. I needed a new rim after hitting that rock and slightly bending so thought I would go lighter if able. Found a like new rim with rotors for $180 on eBay, had front and rear powder coated for $150, so have like new straight rims and rotors for $330. The larger hub is also supposed to help handling so you prob won’t be able to keep up with me this year running the Dragon at T-Mac; but I’ll wait for you at the turnaround!! ;)

• Member Contributer

Yea Switchblade,

Was hoping for more, thoughts were on forum it was lbs. lighter. I needed a new rim after hitting that rock and slightly bending so thought I would go lighter if able. Found a like new rim with rotors for $180 on eBay, had front and rear powder coated for $150, so have like new straight rims and rotors for $330. The larger hub is also supposed to help handling so you prob won’t be able to keep up with me this year running the Dragon at T-Mac; but I’ll wait for you at the turnaround!! ;)

Ok looking forward to that .

• Member Contributer

Was hoping for more, thoughts were on forum it was lbs. lighter...

You may have been looking for more but 10.6 oz reduction in rotational & unsprung mass is meaningful... in overall weight reduction of the bike, it contributes a little; for suspension & handling it contributes a lot more in comparison.

• Member Contributer

Weighed before and after. I found in print that the f4i wheels were 300 grams lighter, reworked with larger hub for better handling, and less offset for rotors vs f4. Was hoping f4 wheels would be lighter then VFR to start with, but could not find any print info on weight. I picked up the wheels from powder coating and they told me proudly, "I think they shot them multiple times to get them looking so good", i almost got sick. I weighed, and they added 12oz of weight per wheel = 1.5lbs! Took them back and let them know, weight was most important issue. Sandblasted and reshot with that in mind, and they came back a bit lighter then when i started somehow. So now I hoping they don't implode. As they are 3 spoke with larger hub, thinking the weight savings is toward the outer diameter and will make more of the weight savings, and makes me feel better about the prodject.

I think i have both off and bare at home if I can remember to weigh them. :idea3:

BR

I guess i should have said several ounces lighter! :unsure:

Thought I read it in some Honda ad about the f4i wheels being so much lighter! :wacko:

• Member Contributer

BR,

Thanks for the info, i needed a new wheel, and would not have known the f4i was an option. I ended up with new lighter wheel and rotors, better handling, with the only downside, having to wait for switchblade at the turnaround!!

Thank You

• Member Contributer

BR,

Thanks for the info, i needed a new wheel, and would not have known the f4i was an option. I ended up with new lighter wheel and rotors, better handling, with the only downside, having to wait for switchblade at the turnaround!!

Thank You

:woohoo::woohoo:

2015 is gonna be a great year .

Archived