What do you guys think of this trailer??

2thdr

• Member Contributer

Looks like it has leaf springs (crappy, no torsion bar) and smallish 10" wheels...

Not going long distances, just to the track and stuff with two bikes sometimes.

http://scandipacific.com/index.php?o...d=47&Itemid=29

• Member Contributer

I would watch Craig's List for a used one. For about that price, you should be able to get a decent landscaping type trailer with a ramp door, wire mesh floor, welded construction, maybe a tandem axle with some 14" wheels.

It wouldn't be fold-able, but I don't think fold-able ones work very well anyway. It is tough to move around 350+ pounds on 4 tiny caster wheels that are only a few inches apart.

• Member Contributer

For about the same coin you can score a nice used Kendon on c-list.

Can't do better than that methinks.

I went down to their location in OC to check out their trailers when I was looking for one a few years back. Guy was really nice. Worked out of an industrial park.

I ended up going with a landscaping trailer with a loading ramp (as jeremy556 suggested). I bought mine from Carson Trailer new for just under $900. 4x8 with 15" wheels. I wanted a 5x8 but the place I store it at has a very narrow driveway. I did find a used 5x8 for $500 when I was looking. If space is of a concern, then folding is the way to go. But a landscaping, general utility trailer can haul stuff besides bikes, in the event you need to do that kind of stuff.

hth,

Roger

• Member Contributer

Maybe it's just me but that design looks very unstable if loaded as pictured. I appears all the weight would be on one side with no possibility to center load a single bike. That's OK with tiny 250# dirt bikes but a big-ass cruiser like that? I bet it would be entertaining to watch during a quick accident avoidance type maneuver! :idea3:

• Member Contributer

I never imagined the trips I would take with a trailer. I like not worrying about whether the wheels are going to blow off somewhere. Don't go too cheap and make sure you have enough room for a couple of bikes....as you never know.

I am trailering some KLRs to Seattle this week.....and then riding to Alaska. Never thought I would be doing that.....ever!!!

One thing I do like is the a-type tongue bars up front. It takes the load across the whole width to the hitch point. At least a little more stable.

Would be nice if there was a center trough option for single bike transport.

Greg :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I am trailering some KLRs to Seattle this week.....and then riding to Alaska. Never thought I would be doing that.....ever!!!

+1.gif To say I'm suffering from extreme envy would be an understatement. Have a great (and safe) time!

• Member Contributer

Imagine how much better it would be if you rode from San Diego to Alaska...

Think about this trailer...I don't think about trailers at all...

• Member Contributer

If you are not in a hurry, do as others have said and watch Craig's List. I picked up a very nice aluminum trailer with torsion axles, 13" wheels, and a drop down ramp for $650 two years ago.

• Member Contributer

Also, doesn't appear to have any tie down points on each side of the rails. Nobody in their right mind would actually haul a bike with it resting on the kickstand as pictured. You would need to add some outriggers near the front aarrow, shortnd back wheels to secure tie downs to. Doable, but can be tricky with two bikes on a narrow, short trailer like this.

• Member Contributer

Imagine how much better it would be if you rode from San Diego to Alaska...

Think about this trailer...I don't think about trailers at all...

Good for you.

All my tours are compromises. The other guys have what they call JOBS (I think)..... we have to blast up to Seattle to save time...still gone for over three weeks. MCs (especially KLRs) suck on I5 and hot too.

I guess my point is...... I have found that trailers may be used for more than the original purpose .....so keep that in mind when buying one. Also your MC stable may change or be augmented......right horse for the course. If you have a trailer it should be versatile but like bikes there is no perfect one.

• Member Contributer

I have found that trailers may be used for more than the original purpose .....so keep that in mind when buying one.

Good point. I put a hitch on my lawn mower and use my trailer around the yard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Really appreciate all the input...I've been watching CL around here but no decent ones have I seen. Another question came up however...If I get the flatbed landscape type trailer (I'm leaning towards a pressure treated wood deck that's easier to drill to add chocks), how wide do I need to carry two bikes? Is this big enough? (The one at the bottom)

Trailers Plus

I also went to the Orange County shop and purchased a 745 trailer w/12" wheels and 3 rails - 2 for dirt bikes and 1 wide rail for the VFR rear tire. Great little trailer as it never swayed whiled towing and was easy to move around. Only catch is you will need to purchase 2 loading ramps and cut and weld them together for length, otherwise the single ramp is too steep of an angle and the VFR will catch on the bottom. Enjoy

• Member Contributer

When I bought my first trailer I didn't even consider the "ramp" issue. I assembled the trailer and added all kinds of features and tie downs, BUT I still needed my two college age sons to help load the bike. Unloading on my own would have been a problem. The motorcycle I owned then (Honda 750) would fit on the bed of the trailer, but I did NOT have much room to move around and two bikes would have been another problem, since space was so very limited.

I guess what I'm saying is to figure out the ramp thing first and then get the largest trailer you can afford or fit in your storage space. The SECOND trailer I bought folds and stands upright on wheels. And I added a nice long (and strong) ramp.

I went with Red Trailers since they were local and the product came with a title so getting a tag was easy - http://www.redtrailers.com/

Yea it was a kit. Some trailer kits only offer a certificate or origin from the manufacturer... like in China. You have to jump through hoops with the government to get a tag for this in Pennsylvania.

Big Trailer and Big Ramp... makes life easy. I can walk around on the bed of the trailer to load and unload my bike SAFELY anywhere and anytime.

Good Luck with your selection.

• Member Contributer

Link or their site isn't working.

For 2 street bikes, you will need 5' wide, 6' is better.

Steel mesh is easy to add accessories to, just use machine screws and washers. Tie down points should be to trailer frame rails.

• Member Contributer

Maybe it's just me but that design looks very unstable if loaded as pictured. It appears all the weight would be on one side with no possibility to center load a single bike. That's OK with tiny 250# dirt bikes but a big-ass cruiser like that? I bet it would be entertaining to watch during a quick accident avoidance type maneuver! :blink:

+1.gif

If you go with a trailer like that, I'd add a third rail down the middle for those times when you're only towing one bike :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Fixing the broken link above...

Trailers Plus

The gate is actually the ramp as well and can be stowed upright or flat like in the photo.

• Member Contributer

Maybe it's just me but that design looks very unstable if loaded as pictured. It appears all the weight would be on one side with no possibility to center load a single bike. That's OK with tiny 250# dirt bikes but a big-ass cruiser like that? I bet it would be entertaining to watch during a quick accident avoidance type maneuver! :blink:

+1.gif

If you go with a trailer like that, I'd add a third rail down the middle for those times when you're only towing one bike :fing02:

Good idea about the third chock. I found these for sale on Harbor Freight and only ordered two, but I think I'll get a third and mount it so I don't have to move one of the others everytime I want to just tow one bike.

wheel chock

• Member Contributer

Fixing the broken link above...

Trailers Plus

The gate is actually the ramp as well and can be stowed upright or flat like in the photo.

Looks decent, but I think you can do a lot better on a used one if you watch craigslist for a few weeks.

gallery_14592_3953_208063.jpg

'nother shot at the Workin On It Ranch!

I don't care for it. I spent 600 on a utility trailer with a wheel chock that at least gets used once a month for lawn and garden purposes.

Archived