8 Spoke/price

Guest TAD

Question

• Member Contributer

Within the last few months, I've seen them go as low as $150 and as high as $550 depending on condition. A fair average would be the $250-$300 range in my opinion.

Second the 250-300, though last couple I've seen on ebay went for >400. A bit hard to find too since it seems everybody's looking for them (wouldn't mind one myself)

• Member Contributer

Traded my stock wheel + $150 for my 8 spoker. Spent another $50 powdercoating it black.

I've heard the wheel fits happily (at least on a 5th gen) but is it the same sized tyre as the 5th/6th gen? If so, is anyone noticing detrimental handling changes on 8-spoke mod'd 5th/6th gens?

Traded my stock wheel + $150 for my 8 spoker. Spent another $50 powdercoating it black.

I've heard the wheel fits happily (at least on a 5th gen) but is it the same sized tyre as the 5th/6th gen? If so, is anyone noticing detrimental handling changes on 8-spoke mod'd 5th/6th gens?

I believe the 3rd/5th/6th gen all have a 5.5 inch rim (180 tire), only the 4th gen got the 5in

• Member Contributer

boys boys boys LOL I sold mine a couple of weeks

ago to a guy for 280 plus shipping.

if I get my way I'll sell the other one I have for the same price

but ( seb )I need my ass kissed first

:laughing6-hehe:

woot woot :goofy:

oh yeah the rim is 5.5 and I ALWAYS run a 180.

I swapped out the rear end (axle&eccentric assembly) to run a 5.5 inch rim from triumph

I'm running a 190 and love the change.

• Member Contributer

I believe the 3rd/5th/6th gen all have a 5.5 inch rim (180 tire), only the 4th gen got the 5in

+1.gif

• Member Contributer

So what was the time frame for the 8 spoke?

90-93. In the USA, each year had a new color: white, gold(ish), silver, and black. White seems to be the most prevalent since it was offered at least twice in that time frame.

boys boys boys LOL I sold mine a couple of weeks

ago to a guy for 280 plus shipping.

if I get my way I'll sell the other one I have for the same price

but ( seb )I need my ass kissed first

:laughing6-hehe:

woot woot :goofy:

oh yeah the rim is 5.5 and I ALWAYS run a 180.

I swapped out the rear end (axle assembly) to run a 6 inch rim

so I can run a 190 and love the change.

I can do 280, but this is the best I can do on the ass kiss :goofy: PM me.

I swapped out the rear end (axle assembly) to run a 6 inch rim

so I can run a 190 and love the change.

Do you have a thread on the swap? I'd be interested to see what you did, I found a Speed Triple hub/axle and Monster/Multistrada wheel works for me with some spacers, but it's still a 5.5 rim

• Member Contributer

I am using the Sprint St 1050 rear on this = 5.5" rim and I can tell you it handles perfect :biggrin:

I don't but I can show you and if you need help I can walk you through it.

I never take pictures when I'm working on it I just sit down and start till I'm done...

I'm not much of a multi tasker as you can tell :fing02:

here's how she looks after 2000 miles last week

(shh I wasn't suppose to be ridng) ;-)

DSC02471.jpg

I'm using parenthesis since I can't remember until I get back out there what the sizes are sorry guys)

first jack bike up with rear wheel still touching ground and secure it by the bars or mid frame.

start by loosening/not removing the cush drive nutside first! *should be able to move with hands*

it's not necessary to remove this side. - *you have a choice as to removing the chainguard-you decide-

now remove the exhaust (you may/may not have to remove the right side rider peg/mount (8mm I think)I do it to make life easier - to get to the (12mm on some 14mm on others)2 exhaust bolts(loosen don't remove until you have the passenger mount area bolt lossened)then you can remove them all from front of exhaust to the back.

now loosen and remove the wheel lugs (3/4) on the wheel itself.

SLOWLY jack bike up so the wheel comes off the ground.

remove wheel.

now loosen the rear brake caliper *there are (2) bolts on the brake mounting plate-those are what you un-bolt)(12mm) With the main bolt still attached '''pick-up''' the brake caliper to move it out of the way *simple procedure*.

now the rotor is free to come off.

With the rotor now off, take a 17mm socket - deep well - and loosen/do not remove the chain adjust bolt so it's 'hand moveable'

using the chain adjust wrench, move the adjuster either way to loosen the chain to its max slack.

use a block of wood (4x4)to prop up the cush drive/chain + maybe even have a rope tied to the ride side passenger pegs mount laying over the seat to the left so you can tie the cush drive in place *'hangin freely'*

after that is securely held... remove the axle with a rubber mallet to the right side of the bike(not dead blow) it's safer. lol

install the triumph 1050 axle EXACTLY the same way you removed your stock one. rotors/nut/and spacers are interchangeable(even the eccentric is if you want to use a newer one ;-)

***check other postings in this thread... I forgot I changed out my eccentric to match the triumph ID... it's 5mm smaller on the non drive side***

• Member Contributer

pic 1 - cush drive nut

DSC02495.jpg

pic 2 - right rider set

DSC02491.jpg

pic 3 - exhaust bolts

DSC02492.jpg

pic 4 - exhaust hanger bolt

DSC02493.jpg

pic 5 - wheel lugs

DSC02494.jpg

pic 6 - caliper bolts (2)

DSC02496.jpg

pic 7 - main caliper holding bolt DO NOT REMOVE THIS

DSC02497.jpg

pic 8 - hub tightening bolt

DSC02498.jpg

If you guys need me to I can tear both bikes apart again so you can see each step.

(time consuming but if so please let me know and give me a couple of days - it's really nice out here) ;-)

Matt, per our previous conversation with SA1713, the 6" wheel wouldn't fit the 4th gen arm. I'll bet it fits the third gen because of the difference in arms. It wouldn't be simple to swap a 3rd gen arm into a 4th either, because the shock mount is offset.

• Member Contributer

^^^ SEB I believe that. I forgot the 4th gen went 5mm shorter and has the dogbone instead of the knuckle.

plus the 4th gen is shorter in width than th 3rd you just don't wanna do that type of grinding in that spot... :fing02:

:goofy: I love the way this thing feels man... using all the front tire, and all the rear... WOW

• Member Contributer

If I remember correctly, the Triumph 5 spoke split rear wheel is a 5.5 and their 3 spoke is a 6.

I was going to run the 5 spoke split or their multi "flower" pattern multi spoke as both are 5.5.

If I remember correctly, the Triumph 5 spoke split rear wheel is a 5.5 and their 3 spoke is a 6.

I was going to run the 5 spoke split or their multi "flower" pattern multi spoke as both are 5.5.

After a little research, I found that the 3-spoke runs 190 tires while the flower and split spoke wheels run 180's, so it would seem you are correct.

• Member Contributer

I'm gonna have to check on that today then?

I put the 190 on without tire levers. just popped right on... ?

thanks for the insight... I'm definately checking into that today... :fing02:

Matt, per our previous conversation with SA1713, the 6" wheel wouldn't fit the 4th gen arm. I'll bet it fits the third gen because of the difference in arms. It wouldn't be simple to swap a 3rd gen arm into a 4th either, because the shock mount is offset.

Ah, hadn't thought of that. I can actually compare when I get home since I have one of each (from an unfortunate ebay purchase).

Thanks for the description, did you find the alignment to be correct on the axle and wheel? When I did mine it looked like the chain side needed 2.5mm out and the wheel side 5mm out to get centered up. I've been meaning to check alignment on mine for a while but haven't done it yet.

(maybe we should make this a different thread)

• Member Contributer

After a little research, I found that the 3-spoke runs 190 tires while the flower and split spoke wheels run 180's, so it would seem you are correct.

yup yup and yup...

the newer are in fact 5.5. I guess the older (90's) are 6" 3 spoke... DAMN ;-) LOL

see what happens when excitement gets the better of ya?! HA HAA :fing02:

Archived