April Arkansas Rainy Ride

• Member Contributer

That last pic surely has front page written all over it :fing02:

I agree but he uploaded it to photobucket and not the vfrd gallery. so here it stays

Yeah, yeah....ok I'll go load it in my gallery.

• Member Contributer

It just rains in AR too much this time of year.

Some nice riding up there though.

• Member Contributer

It just rains in AR too much this time of year.

Some nice riding up there though.

Your name came up when we were talking about all the times we'd ridden in really rainy weather! :fing02:

4553234314_138767cc73_b.jpg

I had a few things I wanted to accomplish on my ride down to Dutch's "Arkansas in April" ride based at Harrison. The first thing on my list was to visit the Big Brutus steam shovel in West Mineral, Kansas. I also wanted to visit any remaining sections of the original Route 66 left in Kansas.

With those things in mind, I left Topeka on a raining Thursday morning riding directly down the length of a squall line of rain mixed with a small amount of lightning. There was some wind, but nothing I couldn't handle.

My first stop was at Big Brutus in West Mineral. I'm told that if you Google West Mineral, KS the only thing that comes up is Brutus. And quite frankly, I didn't run across anything other than Brutus.

I knew Brutus was big... but there aren't really words to describe just how BIG. I'll let the photos do the talking.

4552593695_8ec8d46fae_b.jpg

The bucket could scoop 90 cubic yards at a time. The operator could scoop, swing, dump, and be back scooping again in less than one minute. Brutus only removed overburden, he did not scoop the coal itself.

4553232506_0cb6de7fe0_b.jpg

Each pad on this track weighs 2,008 pounds. They are able to move Brutus along at 0.22 miles per hour. In the 11 years Brutus was in operation, he moved 11 miles.

4552595603_a79a41a61f_b.jpg

I guess 90 cubic yards amounts to a whole lot of VFRs. I was told I couldn't drive down to where Brutus sits. I could only drive on the service road back to where he is. But after touring the machine, I got to thinking, the old lady who told me I couldn't drive down there had no chance of running the quarter mile back to Brutus to tell me stop driving down there. So I did and then left right after the photos.

4552597539_b534e9da22_b.jpg

The operator's view of things....

4554398423_978d82765e_b.jpg

It took 3 men (yes, there was never a female on the crew) to operate Brutus. The operator controlled the bucket, there was an oil operator whose sole purpose was to lubricate the entire machine (a never ending job) and there was an electrician. Brutus ran off of 7,200 volt three phase power that was converted to DC to run all the motors that controlled movement. There were two 3,500 hp AC motors that ran DC generators. Power was supplied to Brutus by drop cords... he basically ran of extension cords laid on the ground.

After visiting Brutus it was time for lunch and my second goal of the trip down. I really wanted to see any original sections of Route 66 still left in Kansas. Route 66 just clipped the very south east corner of Kansas with only 12 miles of higway.

I stopped for lunch at a Subway sandwich shop in Baxter Springs, Kansas. I asked the lady who made my sandwich if there were any remaining sections of Route 66 still intact. She looked at me as if she had no idea what I was talking about. As you can see, the sandwich shop was completely empty exept for Mr. Lefty VanAuker. I noticed right away that he had a WWII Veteran hat on. So I asked if I could sit with him.

4552598519_d9d3a4eb42_b.jpg

As you can see in the photo I got out my notebook and proceeded to let Lefty talk. I was in hog heaven. Anyone who knows me, knows I love good combat stories. It doesn't matter if it is Afghanistan, Viet Nam, Korea, Germany or the Phillipines.... I love to hear veterans talk about their experiences.

Lefty landed at Normandy two weeks after D-Day. Shortly later, on July 23 to be exact, he was hit by shrapnel from a bomb dropped by a Nazi dive bomber between St. Lo and Caan. Lefty drove a M10 Tank Destroyer and was working on it when the German bombed him. Lefty told me that his buddies saw the dive bomber shot down by a P-51 shortly after he bombed Lefty. Lefty survived, but was told he would never walk again. Well, here lefty is at age 87! As you'll see later, he walks around quite well.

I asked Lefty if he knew of any remaining sections of Route 66 still in existence. He told me, "You're on it." I told him I knew I was on it, but I was looking for a section that hadn't been widened or straightened or divided. "Ah!" he said, "A purist." "Well, just so happens that I made my living off that higway for 50 years. I know just what you are looking for." Turns out that Lefty put his knowledge of big equipment to use after the war and started a tow truck company in Baxter Springs. He started with one surplus army 6x6 and had 7 trucks by the time he retired. He told me that Route 66 was a perfect road.... if you owned a tow truck company. It was curvy and dangerous. Lefty said he made a really good living.

I asked Lefty if he could tell me how to get to this original section.... He said "Follow me, I'll show you." I told him I didn't want to take up his time. "Son, I'm retired. I've got nothing but time." He said goodbye to the sandwich makers (who he obviously knew well) and waited for me to suit up beside his car.

Lefty is very proud of his Purple Heart license tag:

4553237260_b97cfe209f_b.jpg

Then lefty gave me the personal guided tour of the small remaining original section of 66 still left. Here he waits while I take a photo of a marker sign.

4553238318_12f5382c24_b.jpg

He drove me to an original bridge built in 1923. "I made a lot of money off this bridge. Not quite wide enough for two trucks to pass at the same time."

4553245180_5d60a3996b_b.jpg

Again, Lefty waited while I took a lot of photos.

4552603307_df8667fa34_b.jpg

4552604333_05d7212614_b.jpg

4552602365_ef42e45893_b.jpg

4552601367_25217bdce5_b.jpg

4552605327_5b03064042_b.jpg

Thank you for your afternoon and knowledge Mr. VanAuker. You'll be getting a note from me soon.

Off to the motorcycle meet:

I didn't quite get the tripod level. Our Saturday morning group:

Adam 79's Dad, Lee 2002, GSwanson, dutchinterceptor, hondalover, motorman, Adam 79

4553246042_11a56a18f5_b.jpg

Dutch had awsome routes all planned out. Laminated maps for everyone. Organized, organized, organized.

Part of the route included riding the Peel Ferry across Bull Shoals lake. Dutch even called ahead so that the ferry was coming across as we arrived.

4553246956_3eda942b20_b.jpg

Here dutch negotiates an equitable group price for the crossing with the pilot.

4552610043_f23a100099_b.jpg

At one point in our journey we were stuck in a log jam of traffic due to an overturned tractor trailer. About 2 miles of traffic going nowhere.

4553249602_5b4ddaa922_b.jpg

What do you do in these kind of situations... Well if you're Adam 79, you borrow Lee's camera and go meet the neighbors in the Camaro ahead of us.

4552612977_9a912db8e8_b.jpg

4553251594_8a4907ffcf_b.jpg

Dutch treated us to an excellent lunch at the Ozark Cafe in Jasper, AR. Thanks for the grub, Dutch. Above and beyond.

4553254634_a07155dd9d_b.jpg

For Slammer and Skuuter (for different reasons):

4553255542_03202ab1db_b.jpg

4552618747_46a7498927_b.jpg

4553257652_10b3e54113_b.jpg

Everyone all lined up at Arkansas' Grand Canyon. An amazing view of a beautiful scene.

4552620711_aca238b4d3_b.jpg

4553259684_11b328af9f_b.jpg

Friday night festivities. Luvmyvfr has arrived with his friend njlamber who rides a 1098.

4553261424_75669961da_b.jpg

We shared the hotel with bunch of dog show contestants and an internet group of Kawasaki riders. They spent two days changing a tire on a bike. Seriously...two days. This is where we met Joe Rocket.... who is apparently quite a treat for the ladies in bed and a really, really, really, really fast motorcycle rider (so we're told, on both accounts, anyway). Requirement for changing a tire.... lots and lots of alcohol and a wood vise to break the bead.... and two days time.

4553262322_350bba10d0_b.jpg

Our ride group for Saturday. Adam 79 and Dad had went home Luvmyvfr and his crew joined us. Rain, Rain, Rain.

4552625295_b590431a0b_b.jpg

hondalover, unfortunately took a really nasty spill in the rain. Fortunately, hondalover is an ATGATT kind of guy.

4553266050_f770126a58_b.jpg

Someone told me that Slammer requests at least one gas station pic per ride report:

4553267002_29481f8944_b.jpg

You really want to drive with care the way the rain was coming down. Still, we kept a very respectable pace in the rain and had some great fun.

4552630023_7a75afbb00_b.jpg

We were riding in and above the rain clouds. You would not believe how dark it got at one point. We're talkin' headlights at midnight dark. And the fog was so thick that the headlights did nothing but make a wall of white.

4553269826_eb6ee2b2bf_b.jpg

On my ride home, one last photo stop along the KS/MO border.

4552632769_c264cf606e_b.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well done, Lee! fing02.gif

I believe we all hit push mountain so in case you didn't realize it you can view your pictures at PushMountainPics. He split some of us between sport and sport touring so you may need to check both albums.

Mike, Kenneth and I seem to be tourists while everybody else was classified as sporty.goofy.gif

Pat did you see the RWB 07 with Givi bags? Looks like he came through after Mike and I but before your crew on Sunday.

• Member Contributer

I had a great time at the meet, regardless of the weather. The rain and fog just added to the adventure. It's very adventurous when your face shield is wet on both sides along with your glasses, and it's getting darker as you climb higher into the clouds. Fortunately, Hondalover was riding in front of me with his hi-vis Olympic suit on, it showed through the fog like a beacon of light. I followed the light. :beer: I actually enjoyed riding in the rain on the twisty bits, as it gave me more opportunity to get a feel for wet traction and what you can and can't do. The only really squirrely moments were the wet tar snakes, causing that brief slip or wiggle. Heck, for me the most dangerous time of the trip was when I got back into town on Sunday and had two cars try and share my lane without looking before changing lanes. I need a bigger horn. All my pics are similar to Dutch's and Lee's so I won't add any duplicates. Hats off the Dutch for the organization of this little shindig, it was well worth the trip.

Awesome weekend, awesome roads...It was a blast hanging out with you all. Too Bad you didn't stick around to ride on Sunday, we put in another 265 miles, including 3 trips up and down Push Mountain. I will post the GoPro video on Youtube and post a link when I get it up. Hope we can ride again sometime, even though I don't have a VFR.

• Member Contributer

Awesome weekend, awesome roads...It was a blast hanging out with you all. Too Bad you didn't stick around to ride on Sunday, we put in another 265 miles, including 3 trips up and down Push Mountain. I will post the GoPro video on Youtube and post a link when I get it up. Hope we can ride again sometime, even though I don't have a VFR.

You've got a 1098. I think we can make an exception! :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Great report! Looks like a fun time, if a bit damp.

Excellent report guys. Looks like you all had a lot of fun.

• Forum CEO

Damn I just got my new parts about 2pm yesterday, started installing and putting the throttle bodies back on. Oh well maybe we will do some Ozarks on the way to Tmac this year. I have yet to actually get the bike running! Dutch that gas station looks familiar, didnt we stop there on the way to Mountain Home Tmac 2 years ago? Then you spanked me in the morning riding Push Mountain. You always seem to get me on Push Mountain and the tight part of Mt Judea you have more practice in on those roads than I.

It was raining hard here the day I was supposed to leave - and not that semi warm Ozarks rain either it was a typical Pre Spring Colorado freezing rain the kind that sneeks into your bones and makes you shiver 3 days later, turns to snow if you even think about complaining.

• Member Contributer

Well done, Lee! fing02.gif

I believe we all hit push mountain so in case you didn't realize it you can view your pictures at PushMountainPics. He split some of us between sport and sport touring so you may need to check both albums.

Mike, Kenneth and I seem to be tourists while everybody else was classified as sporty.goofy.gif

Pat did you see the RWB 07 with Givi bags? Looks like he came through after Mike and I but before your crew on Sunday.

Not sure if it was the same guy or not but we did get to PM Sunday around 3:30 give or take and there was an 07 RWB with a trunk and sidebags, but the bags were off....he was there with his wife on a yellow Bimmer...had to be the same guy?? They were both super nice and we talked with them and the PM photo guy for a good half hour at least! :lobby:

We made a few runs back and forth having a blast!! As Nate said, we got some great GOPRO video and I can't wait for it to be on YouTube....even though I've seen it several times already!

It was fantastic meeting everyone, :wheel: all great guys just as I knew you would be! Right now I'm on tech overload as I have avoided email and returning phone calls all weekend and have photos to upload and I'm sure lots of posts to make!

It was a great trip, all bikes came home safe and I know everyone is dying to come back :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Hey Dutch, yeah it was the same guy on the RWB, I just checked the the PM photos....he had the GOPRO on his helmet!!

I CAN'T wait to get back :lobby:

• Member Contributer

Damn I just got my new parts about 2pm yesterday, started installing and putting the throttle bodies back on. Oh well maybe we will do some Ozarks on the way to Tmac this year. I have yet to actually get the bike running! Dutch that gas station looks familiar, didnt we stop there on the way to Mountain Home Tmac 2 years ago? Then you spanked me in the morning riding Push Mountain. You always seem to get me on Push Mountain and the tight part of Mt Judea you have more practice in on those roads than I.

It was raining hard here the day I was supposed to leave - and not that semi warm Ozarks rain either it was a typical Pre Spring Colorado freezing rain the kind that sneeks into your bones and makes you shiver 3 days later, turns to snow if you even think about complaining.

Spanked you? Not sure about that since I couldn't ever get you off my arse but yeah I've definitely had more practice on those roads. :lobby:

Yeah, that's the gas station in Jasper. Gary asked the same thing when we stopped there.

Archived