Dutch, et al.: please take some tornado pictures for me. :blink:

Have a fun (and safe) ride!

We'll try to get a group shot in front of the twister.:beer:

Uhh....Gary, leave the rain in Oklahoma please!warranty.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products

Dutch, et al.: please take some tornado pictures for me. goofy.gif

We'll try to get a group shot in front of the twister.laughing6-hehe.gif

huskysooner - I'm holding you personally responsible for any severe weather I drive through on the way down tomorrow. 'Cause I know you secretly control the weather with your radar and computers and top-secret weather stuff.

• Member Contributer

Uhh....Gary, leave the rain in Oklahoma please!:biggrin:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products

Dutch, et al.: please take some tornado pictures for me. :goofy:

Let's not go down tornado alley. This is a real no sh_t story: Back in my flying days, our local aerobatic club was hosting it's first contest, called the Okie Twist-off. Our logo consisted of several aerobatic airplanes spiralling around a tornado. Late in the afternoon of the first day of the contest, with aircraft in the air and on the line ready to take off, I had to scrub all flying and everyone had to make a mad rush to hangar their airplanes as a squall line was approaching from the west. Just as the last plane was hangared and the doors closed, a funnel was sighted less than two miles from the airport. The squall line passed, flying resumed and all was good. Some of the non-locals wanted to know how we scheduled that tornado to coincide with the contest. I can't control the rain, but I may be able to conjur up a good twister. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

Lived in Oklahoma all my life and never seen one tornado. :biggrin: Always out of town when they come close, just bad or good timing I guess.

• Member Contributer

So what happens if it rains over the weekend? Looking at weather.com and it looks like a good chance for rain.

Got any rain gear? There's always a chance of showers in the Ozarks this time of year. If it's pouring Friday or Saturday then we might wait for it to clear before we head out.

Rain or shine I'll be there.

Not really...just my jacket. Please please don't rain.

You'd do good to at least pick up a cheap vinyl suit or even frogg toggs. Riding these roads while cold, wet, and uncomfortable is not a good mix and potentially a recipe for disaster. I can loan you some glove covers if your gloves aren't waterproof.

Thanks, but I forgot, I do have a pair of W/P gloves, but there bulky and I hate em. But I guess I'll bring them anyways.

Lived in Oklahoma all my life and never seen one tornado. pissed.gif

+1.gif Same for me in KS. I was directly under a very small one once in a Chevy Luv pickup truck. (with a storm chasing acquaintance who made a small miscalculation) But it was after dark, heard the wind, saw small debris in the headlights, never saw the tornado.

After my Uncle's farm was destroyed by one, I sorta' lost interest in ever seeing one.

• Member Contributer

Just finished mowing the yard in the rain. A quick bit to eat, shower, pack, then I'm outta here! Man do I procrastinate. :fing02:

I got to thinking I might have been a bit overzealous on the routes so I cut them back some. Friday's route will be around 275 miles with several stops and Saturdays route will be around 325 miles with a few stops. I changed the links above.

Tomorrow I do an oil change, clean my bike, waterproof my stich', and try to recall where I put my tail pack. I'm jones'n for some curves! :cheerleader:

I am one of the "several" with LUVMYVFR coming down. I ride a 1098 Ducati, so My fuel light goes on about every 90-100 miles, So I will need to stop at least that much...my dang bike isn't as comfortable as your guys either...hoping I can hang on the comfort side of things..Got all loaded up and ready to come in the morning...Going to be 5 total coming. Should get there late afternoon Friday.post-18402-1271993377_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hmmmmm. It would seem that computers aren't allowed in Arkansas. Or everybody's having way too much fun!

No, computers are allowed. It's just I've been too afraid to get close to the computer since I'm soaked to the core with rain. Other than that, yes, we are having fun. Time for five of us to head from home in the AM. Look for ride reports later.

I didn't see if it came through where you are for certain, but if the line that hit us in Nashville came through the ozarks...holy smokes did you get wet....can't wait to see the report :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I didn't see if it came through where you are for certain, but if the line that hit us in Nashville came through the ozarks...holy smokes did you get wet....can't wait to see the report :cheerleader:

Made it home yesterday. My dad and I left out of Harrison Arkansas for Shawnee Oklahoma Saturday morning as the group headed out for another ride around Arkansas. Im not sure if they got rained on again but I can't see how they didn't. My dad and I headed out of Harrison taking 412 then down 69-south to I-40 west taking us into Shawnee. When we left Harrison it wasn't raining but soon after we got wet.....really wet. The rain didn't let up until we hit the Oklahoma boarder and from there on we started to dry out from the sun.... :cheerleader:

The VFR needs a cleaning!

Thanks Dutch for putting this ride together, we had a great time and can't wait to do it again.

• Member Contributer

I just rolled in a few minutes ago after a looong day. Thanks all!! :cheerleader:

Luvmyvfr and his crew should have had a great day since they're still there.

Short Recap:

We rode in the rain.

We stood around in the rain.

We drank vodka in the rain.

We had our pictures taken by a couple of chicks.

We sprinted to the restaurant in the rain.

We watched some guy attempt to change tires at the hotel.

We watched dogs in the rain.

Motorman rode back and forth to the hotel in the rain.

Some of us got stopped by Arkansas State Troopers.

Oh yeah....it rained.

That cover it?:cheerleader:

I'll start a ride report thread pretty soon.

One thing you left out, Dutch. IT RAINED. (there was Vodka?)

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME ride. Not a damned thing any of us could have done about the weather. I think everyone brought a great attitude and dealt with the weather we were given wonderfully.

Thanks for the great routes. Now I'm kinda regreting giving your maps back to you. I guess I'll have to come again next year to steal them from you.

I made it home at 3:45. I stopped in Eureka Springs to buy the girls some gifts and took a very relaxed lunch in Carthage. I took all back roads. For one 20+ mile section of Kansas I only saw 3 turkeys, 7 vultures, a turtle and 5 cars, speeds were appropriately high.

My photos are ready to be uploaded to your ride report thread.

Also, you forgot to mention that we met Joe Rocket and were told he is really good in bed.

Seriously, there was Vodka?

"Screw It,Let's Rain, no that's not right, "I ride too far and too fast to ride a ......" Nope that ain't right either, Oil well there was a good one in there somewhere! Thanks Dutch for puttin' this thing together, worked out great for me although if you like to drink beer and make fire you might want to check out my little home away from home. Great laminated, waterproof maps of the best roads in the state, I'll try to get them back to you some day! :biggrin:

One thing you left out, Dutch. IT RAINED. (there was Vodka?)

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME ride. Not a damned thing any of us could have done about the weather. I think everyone brought a great attitude and dealt with the weather we were given wonderfully.

Thanks for the great routes. Now I'm kinda regreting giving your maps back to you. I guess I'll have to come again next year to steal them from you.

I made it home at 3:45. I stopped in Eureka Springs to buy the girls some gifts and took a very relaxed lunch in Carthage. I took all back roads. For one 20+ mile section of Kansas I only saw 3 turkeys, 7 vultures, a turtle and 5 cars, speeds were appropriately high.

My photos are ready to be uploaded to your ride report thread.

Also, you forgot to mention that we met Joe Rocket and were told he is really good in bed.

Seriously, there was Vodka?

We met Joe Rocket tonight!

Archived