Helmet sizing thread

timmythecop

I gather alot of info from threads and place it in the back of my mind, but I was thinking maybe if this thread hung around for a while, it could be of use to some folks. What I aim to do is make a database of yer head, yer hat and yer helmet. I figure with enough info, somebody could compare stuff and be sent in the right direction whilst helmet shopping. If each poster would relay his or her specifics about head shape, hat size, actual circumference of the dome, helmet brand/style/size, it may well put some useful info in one place.

Or the thread dies and you all curse me again. Lets see.

I'll go first

I have a mellon head. Big. It is a wide oval shape. My hat size is 7 3/4 and most adjustable caps are on the last setting.

In Arai Quantum, XL fits perfectly.

In Nolan, I am just between a L and an XL

In Bieffe, I fit in a L, but anXL would prolly be just slightly too big.

I have no chin hitting in any of these helmets.

I just bought an AGV S-4 in XL and it fits absolutely perfect.

ARAI QUANTUM XL

BIEFFE PREDATOR L

NOLAN N-103 XL

AGV S-4 XL

• Member Contributer

I too have a melon head, sorta. Actually I have a largish head and extremely thick hair, which I wear long. The hair makes it hard to fit helmets. It's not about crushing my hairstyle - I'll compress it down as flat as it will get. But I have a LOT of hair and it only squishes down so much. It's like trying to put a helmet on over a heavy stocking cap.

So I wear a Shoei RF1000, size XL, and I buy the extra thick cheekpads. This gives me enough room in the back of the helmet, for my braid to get out, and the thicker cheekpads prevent the red Shoei dot from appearing on my forehead. This helmet actually fits pretty well, but if I were to get a crew cut I'd probably have to buy a new helmet in size L.

I've tried a couple Arais and they are too tight around the base of the neck - there's no room for hair to escape. If you have long thick hair you will probably not like Arais.

Head size: 24" long oval front to rear (Hot spot 2-2 1/2" above eyebrows) (all helmets require mod at hot spot)

Arai Signet-GT (XXL - 7 3/4 - 7 7/8) (least amount of mod)

Fits well around the neck least amount of noise.

HJC-SY-MAX2 modular (XXL)(a lot of mod)

Fits well around the neck a little noisier than the Arai.

Scorpion EXO-400 full-face Helmet (XXXL) (no mod)

Fits great and fits nice around neck

Also has fog free face shield and a really nice nose cup

This is the quietest helmet ever!!!

I have a round head, unsure of actual hat size since I don't wear a hat, and never measured(just kept trying helmets on).

AGV XL - pinches the sides of my head but fits front to back ok. Loud!

Icon Mainframe XL - like a glove, but on the heavier end of the helmet spectrum. Very quiet!

Icon Alliance XL - pretty much the same fit as the Mainframe, but a bit less perfect. The profile seems to be the same side to side, but nose to neck is a bit smaller. More noise than the Mainframe, but not bad.

Shoei RF1000 L - perfect fit. Have not yet taken delivery of the one I just bought, so no idea on noise level yet.

Arai Corsair L - perfect fit, chin bar is a bit closer than I'd like. Never owned one, just tried them on.

I just recently bought my second Caberg off the web without trying it on. I followed their size chart and taped measured my head. Fits like a glove. Bald as a cue ball, so fit is important. They don't participate in the DOT program but do test to European standards. (Can't be as good as DOT, right?) so they were a real value even after shipping.

I have a long oval head. I have a melon head when I wear my hair longer as I have super thick hair.

With my current short hair:

My fitted hat size is 7 1/4 exactly

Current lid:

Shoei X-11 M with alternate cheek pads, comfortable all around but noisier than my Arias

Aria Vector L w/ alternate cheek pads depending on hair length, not as perfect as Signet GT but still comfy and great fit

Signet GT L (retired style but was PERFECT in every way for the decade they were available)

• Member Contributer

Some people might find this helpful. It's page 45 of the Dennis Kirk catalog. The only two brands I've ever owned are HJC and AGV. I use a medium in both.

scan0001-5.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have a slightly oval head. Hat size is 7 1/4, 56. Always get my helmets to fit fairly snug.

HJC Session - S : Fairly noisy. Stopped fitting snug after a season. Good in rain.

Skorpion EXO-700 - M : Fits very snug, but still comfortable. Somewhat noisy. Terrible in rain. Good in hot weather

• Member Contributer

I have a narrow head and my size medium Caberg Justissimo GT fits like a glove! It was too tight until broken in. Now it's perfect. Doesn't vent well, though.

• Member Contributer

I don't have my measurements or hat size, but I know (now) that I have an oval head. Of course, I didn't realize that until after I bought a Suomy Spec1R which is made for round heads. It's fairly uncomfortable for me. So yesterday I broke down and bought an Arai Vector which is for what they call intermediate oval. From what I've read recently, intermediate oval will fit most people. Not all, but most. I tried the various Arais (I forgot the specific models) for round, intermediate oval and long oval and found that the intermediate Vector fit me the best.

Now I'm trying to sell my 2 month old Suomy. :comp13: It's a beautiful, light weight helmet. But it just doesn't fit my head properly.

Archived