Staintune Exhaust - W/wo Baffle

swimmer

• Member Contributer

HI,

I am considering buying an out of state 06 VFR800 with Staintune exhaust and I need to make a decision soon. I had a member of another forum check out the motorcycle for me to see what sort of shape its in or for anything that was not as advertised. The motorcycle appears to be in very good shape. I did ask him specifically to pay attention to the exhaust note as I have never heard a VFR with staintune exhaust in person (only soundclips online) and really don’t want a loud exhaust. I know the staintune exhaust is highly regarded and the sound clips sound awesome but its sometimes hard to gauge actual relative volume.

Anyway this person that looked at the VFR said it was quite loud or at least too loud for his tastes. The owner of the VFR does have the baffles that go with the exhaust just not installed.

So my question is what sort of difference will the baffles make? Does it change the cool sound of the baffled staintunes to something that is not just that cool sound with less volume but a bad sound?

I have considered that if I didn’t like it I might be able to get someone’s stock exhaust and sell the staintune. PM on this if you might be interested as I can consider that in the total deal.

So I’d appreciate any input from someone who has heard the baffled and unbaffled version. I did find one sound clip of the baffled version but I am hoping for some opinions from a live experience.

TIA

• Member Contributer
HI,

I am considering buying an out of state 06 VFR800 with Staintune exhaust and I need to make a decision soon. I had a member of another forum check out the motorcycle for me to see what sort of shape its in or for anything that was not as advertised. The motorcycle appears to be in very good shape. I did ask him specifically to pay attention to the exhaust note as I have never heard a VFR with staintune exhaust in person (only soundclips online) and really don’t want a loud exhaust. I know the staintune exhaust is highly regarded and the sound clips sound awesome but its sometimes hard to gauge actual relative volume.

Anyway this person that looked at the VFR said it was quite loud or at least too loud for his tastes. The owner of the VFR does have the baffles that go with the exhaust just not installed.

So my question is what sort of difference will the baffles make? Does it change the cool sound of the baffled staintunes to something that is not just that cool sound with less volume but a bad sound?

I have considered that if I didn’t like it I might be able to get someone’s stock exhaust and sell the staintune. PM on this if you might be interested as I can consider that in the total deal.

So I’d appreciate any input from someone who has heard the baffled and unbaffled version. I did find one sound clip of the baffled version but I am hoping for some opinions from a live experience.

TIA

Well, I bought my bike with staintunes, so I've never heard it with a stock exhaust, but it's sounds good both with and without the baffles. I wouldn't expect it to be as quiet as stock though...

Even the stock exhaust is going to be loud at 10k rpms...

• Member Contributer

I am sure that if you do not like it, you could sell the exhaust and get a stock one cheap. You would probably even come out a couple hundred ahead.

• Member Contributer

Hello Swimmer,

I am in Tucson, too. I have an '02 with Leo Vince. I have never put the baffles in and am big fan of the way it sounds. I do have a stock pipe. I'm sure I could sell it to you if you hated the sound of the staintunes.

Either way, we should go for a ride.

• Member Contributer

If ya dont buy it because of the exhaust you're seriously hearing challenged. The Staintunes sound great and aren't louder than any other aftermarket exhaust, gutted stock cans are as loud if not louder. That being said I have a set of stockers you can have if ya dont like the Tunes, just let me know.

• Member Contributer

I had stock exhaust and now have Staintunes. I run mine with restrictors in now that I have some (thanks Ken!). It is not much, if at all louder than stock with them in, and sounds much better than stock. With them out, they are not quiet, but not obnoxiously loud, and sound great.

'Tunes are funny pipes. I have them on both my VFR and my KTM Duke II. On the VFR, I don't run baffles and they sound great. On the Duke II, I do run them as it is obnoxiously loud without them (and dyno proven to lose 5 hp with them out).

I've always wanted to do a back to back dyno runs with the VFR just to see which puts out the most grunt - baffles or no baffles.

The quality of StainTunes is second to none. Take care of them, hit them with some Simichrome every now and then and they will maintain their chrome look. Workmanship on 'Tunes is right there with Akrapovics. They're made by Australian aborigines who are specially trained to work/weld stainless steel. If you remember your high school history, it was the aborigines who first refined stainless steel.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds (ha ha) like I can't really lose if I don't like them. It's pretty much a done deal with this VFR then. Unless some great deal comes up in my area or I come to my senses first I'll be owning a VFR in about 10 days. Then doing a 900 mile ride to get it home.

• Member Contributer
They're made by Australian aborigines who are specially trained to work/weld stainless steel. If you remember your high school history, it was the aborigines who first refined stainless steel.

Ah ha, so there are Americans who've studied Australian history, well done Pete :beer: :491:

You did however neglect to mention that these Aborigines with the Stainless steel talent were also the first to produce the Aluminum can, they needed something to hold their liquer in whilst welding. They found they were losing 50% of their thirst quencher outta the bark weaved bowls they were using and realised when used in conjunction with a Coleman cooler they not only saved drink, it kept em cold. Little known fact........

:goofy: They eventually went on to discover flip flops and the folding chair .... tongue.gif

They're made by Australian aborigines who are specially trained to work/weld stainless steel. If you remember your high school history, it was the aborigines who first refined stainless steel.

Ah ha, so there are Americans who've studied Australian history, well done Pete :beer: :491:

You did however neglect to mention that these Aborigines with the Stainless steel talent were also the first to produce the Aluminum can, they needed something to hold their liquer in whilst welding. They found they were losing 50% of their thirst quencher outta the bark weaved bowls they were using and realised when used in conjunction with a Coleman cooler they not only saved drink, it kept em cold. Little known fact........

:goofy: They eventually went on to discover flip flops and the folding chair .... tongue.gif

So basically you're saying the aborigines invented the beach party. I tip my hat to your countries native people!

I just installed a brand-new Staintune on my 5th gen last night, and to echo what's already been said,

the workmanship is superb and the sound (to my surprise) was exactly what I was looking for, not too

loud and with a nice deep "burble" at idle. I'd been running the OEM can prior to the Staintune, but the

bike originally had a D&D, which sounded absolutely wicked but after a couple hours the noise got old.

I haven't heard the 'tune without the baffle, but it sounds good right out of the box. They ain't cheap, but

I'm glad I went ahead and spent the $$. The wife ain't too happy about it, though. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I'm not too sold on the craftsmanship of the staintunes...

My left pipe didn't fit on the mid pipe worth a damn until I took some vice grips and 'modified' it, the weld on the mid pipe where the mounting hanger to attach the peg cracked and came completely off, and the mid pipe itself developed a crack through it (exhaust leaking out). My emails to Staintune were ignored and I finally had a local shop weld everything back up.

My Staintunes are only a tad louder than stock with the baffles in, you won't find it offensive. They're not overly loud with the baffles out, either, IMO.

What he said, or baffles out = ear plugs for added comfort

baffles in = no ear plugs needed

Girlfriend thought I changed out the system when I put the spuds in...

• Member Contributer

My left pipe didn't fit on the mid pipe worth a damn until I took some vice grips and 'modified' it, the weld on the mid pipe where the mounting hanger to attach the peg cracked and came completely off, and the mid pipe itself developed a crack through it (exhaust leaking out). My emails to Staintune were ignored and I finally had a local shop weld everything back up.

That's pretty strange. The Staintune guys are known to be really awesome - like ride up at the factory and they'll buff your pipes for you on the spot. Did you E-Mail the aussie guys or the local distributor?

As for the fit on the VTEC, the original runs of these pipes were a tad dodgy with their fitment to the mid pipe on the left side. I ended up using some gasket cement to make it a bit more grippy on mine because the fitment was very loose. You'd be the first person I heard of with cracks in the pipes though. VFR's down here in Australia are very popular and Staintune is the most popular brand of can for them. I've not heard of any cracking anywhere!

That's pretty strange. The Staintune guys are known to be really awesome - like ride up at the factory and they'll buff your pipes for you on the spot. Did you E-Mail the aussie guys or the local distributor?

As for the fit on the VTEC, the original runs of these pipes were a tad dodgy with their fitment to the mid pipe on the left side. I ended up using some gasket cement to make it a bit more grippy on mine because the fitment was very loose. You'd be the first person I heard of with cracks in the pipes though. VFR's down here in Australia are very popular and Staintune is the most popular brand of can for them. I've not heard of any cracking anywhere!

I too noticed a "near the hanger mount" crack on the mid-pipe when I had it apart during the Ohlins install this past winter. I'll probably have it welded or patch it next off season.

Ditto on the left can gasket cement to tighten things up! No Worries!

The OEM's remain in storage :biggrin:

Must have been a sober aborigine that built your pipe J.

Ah ha, so there are Americans who've studied Australian history, well done Pete :laugh: :laugh:

:biggrin: They eventually went on to discover flip flops and the folding chair .... tongue.gif

Thanks for the further information AussieinUSA. Now if I can just get on Jepodary! and Alec says "This race of people were the first to refine stainless steel and invented the aluminum can."

An advanced race of people indeed.

BTW, did you ever meet Crocodile Dundee before you moved here?

• Member Contributer

I sent a few emails to their email address in Australia, never heard back. Not a big deal, as I bought them second hand, and probably not covered by any warranty anyway.

I tried using high temp RTV a bunch of times. It work work for a couple weeks, then work itself free. Eventually I used some vice grips to bend the ends of the mid pipe out to make a VERY tight friction fit on both of them (like using a hammer to install the cans tight). A local guy charged me $10 to weld back on the hanger and the crack, so I am now pleased with them.

I sent a few emails to their email address in Australia, never heard back. Not a big deal, as I bought them second hand, and probably not covered by any warranty anyway.

I tried using high temp RTV a bunch of times. It work work for a couple weeks, then work itself free. Eventually I used some vice grips to bend the ends of the mid pipe out to make a VERY tight friction fit on both of them (like using a hammer to install the cans tight). A local guy charged me $10 to weld back on the hanger and the crack, so I am now pleased with them.

That's strange Jeremy. Mine fit dead solid perfect on both bikes and I have yet to have the first problem with either set. My mufflers fit the mid up pipe on the VFR nice and snug. No leaks, no RTV needed.

Who did your welding? I've been using that guy on Atlanta Road across from where the A-6 on the pylon use to sit (BTW, what did NAS Atlanta do with the Intruder and the A-6?). I think the place is called J & R Welding. Does nice TIG work.

• Member Contributer
HI,

TIA

Staintune with baffles = not much louder than stock. Deeper sound, like a muscle car.

I remember issues w/ the first "gen" of VTEC pipes, and Staintune was doing exchanges on the midpipes for a while through their N.A. distributor. Someone here posted about having the issue with the crack, that's how the replacement thing got started. Mine also had the crack and the slightly loose fit on the left, but I also tightened the fit on mine and also tigged the crack at work.

The issues were supposed to be taken care of with the newer pipe versions.

Archived