Capped Exhaust - Force To Single

Guest 1976Mike

Guest 1976Mike

Since I have lost 1 exhaust Canister, and I am having trouble finding replacements. (Called Salvage yards, forums, ebay, CL) I am thinking about what to do in the mean time.

This idea came to me, and I am requesting feedback/thoughts. What if I clamped a cap onto the Left side exhaust port exiting the collector box, forcing all the exhaust to the right side? Would this cause bad things to happen?

DSC00513.JPG

DSC00516.JPG

My thinking is that the exhaust gas will follow the path of least resistance and just exit the right side Canister, but would this cause excess back pressure to build up and damage the motor?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

-If I am mentally challenged in my thinking just say so, I will stop.

I thought you lost the whole slip on can, it looks like you only lost the sleeve? Take both of the slip ons to a muffler shop like Midas and have them cut you a couple new sleeves! Some diesel truck ex. pipe might be about right. They might have some sheetmetal to make the endcap with too.

Dunno what your budget is, but if you can swing it, buy 2 generic bike mufflers and have the same exhaust shop just make a pair of midpipes for you. You could have a new set of pipes for under $250 if you shop around.

Get creative!

(and not in a way that blocks your exhaust!!)

ok, so capping = bad :laugh:

Will have to check with midas and see if they can cut me something, also checking with some other local M/C shops to see if we can custom fit something.

I wish I could do this myself, I just never have, nor do I have any of the tools to do so...

Found a set of '84 VF1000F pipes on Ebay that I am watching, I think those should fit?!?!?!?! maybe

• Member Contributer
ok, so capping = bad :laugh:

Will have to check with midas and see if they can cut me something, also checking with some other local M/C shops to see if we can custom fit something.

I wish I could do this myself, I just never have, nor do I have any of the tools to do so...

Found a set of '84 VF1000F pipes on Ebay that I am watching, I think those should fit?!?!?!?! maybe

When you say "pipes" do you mean the exhaust cans? If so, like Seb said, any generic cans and take them to a local muffler/exhaust shop. They can fab up a fit for you. Avoid Midas. they will overcharge you.

Anyone heard of or used Bassani Exhaust? I found a complete system on for an VF700F that I like, just never heard of the company. I looked them up and they exist, currently manufacture exhaust systems for cars and harleys. Mostly V8 american muscle (Mustang, Corvette).

• Member Contributer

mike, can ya post up a pic of the remaining canister? I can't imagine it should be that hard to replace that... at absolute worst, have someone roll/tig up a new can of the proper diameter, and rivet that back on. Of course I do have a 4/1 Sudco I'm mulling over selling so I can get in on Seb's V&H replica system if worst came to worst.

• Member Contributer

You wouldn't be the first person to cap off one side - so it can be done. Performance will be hurt some, but those who have done it have reported that it's not really that bad.

You do what you gotta do!

Anyone heard of or used Bassani Exhaust? I found a complete system on for an VF700F that I like, just never heard of the company. I looked them up and they exist, currently manufacture exhaust systems for cars and harleys. Mostly V8 american muscle (Mustang, Corvette).

I know that the Bassani 4 into 1 pipes that used to go on in line 4s exited on the left side!

I know that the Bassani 4 into 1 pipes that used to go on in line 4s exited on the left side!

A quick Google map search reveals that Ashburn, VA is only ~40min from Bailey's Crossroads, VA, where Timmy's brother's motorcycle shop is located. You know, the one with the treasure trove of bike parts?!?

I'll bet my left pinky toe that you could find an exhaust there... www.crossroadscycleva.com

• Member Contributer
For SS_Burns

DSCN0958.jpg

DSC00405.JPG

you just lost the alum canister from what I can tell.. that REALLY shouldn't be that hard to reproduce.. any shop w/ a TIG could hook you up there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

A reverse-cone Bassani was the hot tip for my SL70, but that was about 1972..... Mowed a LOT of lawns to get one!

"from Bailey's Crossroads, VA, where Timmy's brother's motorcycle shop is located. You know, the one with the treasure trove of bike parts?!?"

That true, Timmy? :-)

Greg- got a new phone, fixed my collapsed roof, and now after I get this protest situated this morning and then watch my redskins opener tomorrow, my life will be back to normal. Re-PM me your info, because I lost it in the crash.

Mike- I think those pipes are Cobra F-1 slip-ons. Very popular in the 80's.

COBRAF1.JPG

and yes, crossroads cycle is Mecca.

"from Bailey's Crossroads, VA, where Timmy's brother's motorcycle shop is located. You know, the one with the treasure trove of bike parts?!?"

That true, Timmy? :-)

Greg- after I get this protest situated this morning my life will be back to normal.

and yes, crossroads cycle is Mecca.

I spoke too soon. This is me now

Archived