Another Wheel Color Question

fotodadi

• Member Contributer

Hi guys!!

Just ordered an 8 spoke rear wheel after bending my rear rim and I am thinking of giving my 08 silver baby some pep.

Cant seem to find any color combos for the 08 silver Viffer. Does any one have any suggestions or pics?? I was thinking of white but the silver is such a difficult color to match. I dont know. Any suggestions?? Anyone??

Another option that I think will look cool is black and polished like Western Star and Viffer madness. But to spend like a whole day stripping, polishing and painting doesn't sound like an option to me.

• Member Contributer
Hi guys!!

Just ordered an 8 spoke rear wheel after bending my rear rim and I am thinking of giving my 08 silver baby some pep.

Cant seem to find any color combos for the 08 silver Viffer. Does any one have any suggestions or pics?? I was thinking of white but the silver is such a difficult color to match. I dont know. Any suggestions?? Anyone??

Another option that I think will look cool is black and polished like Western Star and Viffer madness. But to spend like a whole day stripping, polishing and painting doesn't sound like an option to me.

I have an 8 spoke on my 03 and I simply took it to a metal shop and they chemical dipped it and the only thing I had to do was use a little polish on it and coat it once a year with nyallic (clear coat) Nyallic comes in liquid application or spray can. I found wiping it on with a application pad worked best. I had too many runs with the spray can.

Check out my gallery. My 8 spoke appears in both "Before and After" and in "Hondas" albums. For some it may be too much silver and aluminum, but I think it gives it a classy look that sets it apart from just being painted black.

Good luck!

gallery_5448_2836_271802.jpg

DSC07257b.JPG

gallery_5448_3982_372752.jpg

Copy of DSC09565.JPG

• Member Contributer

Powder coating can be a good route. My powder coating guy sand blasts and does cool colors for a very fair price. PM me if you want a link to his site. Hes in Oregon but but well priced enough it is worth paying for shipping.

bl005.jpg

• Member Contributer

STRIPPED = MO BETTA!!!

Your photos are direct proof. BaileyRock had a silver with chrome wheels for a while and I almost passed out looking at his photos from time to time. I think he decided it was too much silver but his bike convinced me to go the silver route when the time comes. Slammer's "how to" on stripping made it an easy task to strip mine on a boring, cold February day a few years back. I love the silver but I'll have to get used to the slower pace. 8 spoke is a bonus too!

• Member Contributer
Powder coating can be a good route. My powder coating guy sand blasts and does cool colors for a very fair price. PM me if you want a link to his site. Hes in Oregon but but well priced enough it is worth paying for shipping.

bl005.jpg

(Advice from a friend of mine.) Be careful with "sand" blasting. You will create tiny pits that will show as a tiny bubble when powder coated. Use a mild media such as walnut shells to avoid this.

• Member Contributer
Just ordered an 8 spoke rear wheel

From Honda? I thought they are NLA. Oh, and how much? :warranty:

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys for all your input.

For the wheel, I am getting it from www.ronayers.com

I have lazers under my tail so to do Solid black just appears all wrong. I am thinking of grey and polished alu edges. This will not be too lound and work nicely with the gey of the bike. Changing the colour of the bike is also an option but not just yet.

I've ordered some paint stripper and will post the results in about a month when am done.

• Member Contributer

Not to beat a dead horse but..... I know the parts numbers and prices are still there and you can submit an order but that's not a guarantee. Do you have tracking number from them?

• Member Contributer

I know others have stripped the wheels themselves and they have turned out nicely, but I had a bear of a time getting the right temperature and humidity combination to strip the wheels myself. I worked and worked on the rear rim and finally gave up. So I took it to a local metal shop that strips car bodies, wheels, you name it. They basically dip it in a chemical bath, so the rim is basically unmollested. The $40 they charged me was well worth my time.

Now the front wheel was another story. I was trying to not remove my wheel bearings and thought I'd try more patience with the front. Apparantely I lack the patience or something, but I worked and worked and worked and still could not get all the paint to come out of the little crevasses and I finally resorted to sos pads and steel wool. In hindsight I wish I would have removed the wheel bearings and just had the machine shop's chemicals do all the dirty work. Since I did that I've never been able to get the front rim to polish out as shiny as my rear rim.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck and please post some pics when finished. If you look in my "before and after" album, the bike really looks completely different with black rims to natural aluminum rims.

• Member Contributer

Not to beat a dead horse but..... I know the parts numbers and prices are still there and you can submit an order but that's not a guarantee. Do you have tracking number from them?

Just succeeded in placing the order yesterday. I dont have a tracking number yet. Will wait and see what happens :blink:

Grizfan, thanks for the heads up. Points duly noted. Will post pics when all is ready.

• Member Contributer

The other thing about polishing is be absolutely sure the wheel is straight. I paid $250 for an 8 spoke plus $250 to get it polish and as it turned out the wheel was bent in a way that could not be repaired. So i ended up with a very expensive polished turd. I will never buy used rims again. People just lie... And also knife is telling the truth. I used the term "Sand Blasted" when I should have said "Media Blasted" Sand is not good for aluminum. Heres a pic of the rear wheel shortly before I discovered it was trash and I wasted my wheel budget for the summer on garbage

P4200158.jpg

• Member Contributer
The other thing about polishing is be absolutely sure the wheel is straight. I paid $250 for an 8 spoke plus $250 to get it polish and as it turned out the wheel was bent in a way that could not be repaired. So i ended up with a very expensive polished turd. I will never buy used rims again. People just lie... And also knife is telling the truth. I used the term "Sand Blasted" when I should have said "Media Blasted" Sand is not good for aluminum. Heres a pic of the rear wheel shortly before I discovered it was trash and I wasted my wheel budget for the summer on garbage

P4200158.jpg

Not to make fun of your situation, but I would use that polished wheel as a wall clock or something. It's way to purty to just trash.

Muff

• Member Contributer

Looks like you were right. No 8 spoke wheel for me sad.gif

• Member Contributer

If you haven't already seen this in another post, here's what I'd do if I had a sword silver VFR like yours:

08VFRsilverblackwheels-1.jpg

I'd then get some carbon fiber cans for even more contrast. Ideally, a black frame and swingarm, too, but that's far more trouble than it's worth.

A couple days ago I saw a black '09 VFR for the first time (on the showroom floor.) I LOVE the bodywork (and wish I had it), but, overall, the bike has too much black: black bodywork, black frame, black swingarm, black wheels, black forks, black brake carriers, etc. It needs contrast. I think it would look a lot better with silver wheels and a silver frame and swingarm.

I think the cost to powder coat wheels is about $100 each. That's not a bad price considering this mod alone can really change the look of your bike.

Looks like you were right. No 8 spoke wheel for me sad.gif

Not sure where you're from, but Cruzinaz (Kent) at Nuwheel.com did mine, and I live in Ontario Canada. He repairs/straightens refinishes car/bike wheels for a business. You tell me what kind of job he does....... :cool:

Old before

DSCF0002.jpg

Now(Well what a surprise, I got Lasers too!!!) :huh:

DSCF1540.jpg

DSCF1339.jpg

And if you need tires, he might be able to help you there too, since Southwest Moto is just up the road. :491:

There was recently a member who had an 8 spoke for sale, http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=53463# (Jim) and vfrrider (Larry) is who I got mine from..... He hoards them sometimes :dry: and he's straight up about what you're looking at. smile.gif

Good Luck! :beer:

Greg :cool:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Eventually settled for a color scheme that seems to match the bike without having to spend hours and hours on polishing.

Rear Wheel

gallery_15902_5021_51401.jpg

Front Wheel

gallery_15902_5021_63237.jpg

• Member Contributer

gallery_5448_3982_372752.jpg

Copy of DSC09565.JPG

Not sure why more people don't do this. An alkalide dip and about 45 min. per wheel with Blue Magic is all it takes. No messing around with harsh aircraft-grade paint stripper, fumes and wire brushes to remove the paint from the wheels u-shape spokes.

Archived