Gps Recommendations For Both Car And Bike

FotoMoto

• Member Contributer
DAMN, you guys aren't helping here!!!! :cool: Now I got too many great choices.

I really like the 20 hour life on the quest series. No on board power hookup needed. sweet.

For the money the Quest 2 is packed with features, fully loaded with v8 detailed maps of the entire US, is waterproof, 20hr battery life, for the cage it has a suction cup holder that plugs into the cig outlet that has a speaker built-in on you can hear the voice directions, blah, blah, blah. :cool:

There is a like new quest 1 with a BIN for $90 shipped. Worth it or get the 2 for $30 more? Garmins' site doesn't really show much difference between the two.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DAMN, you guys aren't helping here!!!! :cool: Now I got too many great choices.

I really like the 20 hour life on the quest series. No on board power hookup needed. sweet.

For the money the Quest 2 is packed with features, fully loaded with v8 detailed maps of the entire US, is waterproof, 20hr battery life, for the cage it has a suction cup holder that plugs into the cig outlet that has a speaker built-in on you can hear the voice directions, blah, blah, blah. :huh:

There is a like new quest 1 with a BIN for $90 shipped. Worth it or get the 2 for $30 more? Garmins' site doesn't really show much difference between the two.

Get the "2"

the reg Quest doesn't have any of the good maps pre-loaded and less memory than the 2 has w/ all the detailed maps already loaded. That alone is worth the $30 IMO. :cool:

I've researched GPS, but this thread has had a lot of good advice. Thanks for asking the question.

Anyone that has the ZUMO 550 can you take a couple pictures of the motorcycle and car mounts, I haven't been able to find any pics of them to see where they mount. Thanks.

$90 is a bargain. I heard lots of people having problems with the quest 2 crashing when longer routes were loaded. Apparently the CPU is not powerfull enough to handle all the compressed data.

Also be aware that a lot of these older units use the older map file format and you won't be able to get updates anymore. This year's update is the last.

Anyone that has the ZUMO 550 can you take a couple pictures of the motorcycle and car mounts, I haven't been able to find any pics of them to see where they mount. Thanks.

Check this topic and this one in the electronics forum

• Member Contributer
$90 is a bargain. I heard lots of people having problems with the quest 2 crashing when longer routes were loaded. Apparently the CPU is not powerfull enough to handle all the compressed data.

Also be aware that a lot of these older units use the older map file format and you won't be able to get updates anymore. This year's update is the last.

Rosso,

You bring up some very valid points. I didn't mention in the OP but these are the reasons for my interest in a new GPS. My father gave me his ancient Sony (who knew they made them?) which has let me down on more than a couple of occasions. It can't be updated nor has any of the more modern "extras" of today's products.

I've now decided against the quest. More so because of the speaker arrangement when used in the car (80% usage for us). The 12v supply is near the floor and somewhat concealed; combine that with constant A/C, sound system, and two kids and there's probably no way we'd hear the speaker down near the floor.

The search continues.......

Rosso,

You bring up some very valid points. I didn't mention in the OP but these are the reasons for my interest in a new GPS. My father gave me his ancient Sony (who knew they made them?) which has let me down on more than a couple of occasions. It can't be updated nor has any of the more modern "extras" of today's products.

I've now decided against the quest. More so because of the speaker arrangement when used in the car (80% usage for us). The 12v supply is near the floor and somewhat concealed; combine that with constant A/C, sound system, and two kids and there's probably no way we'd hear the speaker down near the floor.

The search continues.......

The nuvi 750 has FM broadcast capability - you can set it and your car radio to one station and it will transmit the directions through your radio. Or, you can plug in a set of $7 radioshack speakers meant for a walkman, that would be loud enough & small, too.

• Member Contributer

I paid a visit to the Garmin store on Michigan Avenue on my way out of Chicago the other day to checkout the Zumo 660 and try and get my Nuvi 760 power/cable issues sorted out. Man, that Zumo 660 is sweet! Their 3D street view is fantastically realistic. Just as soon as Garmin marks it down with a 75% price discount I'm installing one.

I learned an awful lot from the Garmin sales guy but came away realizing the Nuvi line is out of their element on bikes. He also indicated that both of my Powerlet cables that were supposed to be compatible with the Nuvi 760 were not, which explains why the unit spends most of the time in data mode, doesn't run on powered mode at all and is never able to recharge the battery during even a full day's ride.

Thankfully, he recommended I buy a universal 120/220V charger so I could a least recharge properly. That's worked like a charm.

To make a long story short, if you're in the market for a GPS for your bike shop the Zumo line.

He also indicated that both of my Powerlet cables that were supposed to be compatible with the Nuvi 760 were not, which explains why the unit spends most of the time in data mode, doesn't run on powered mode at all and is never able to recharge the battery during even a full day's ride.

Thankfully, he recommended I buy a universal 120/220V charger so I could a least recharge properly. That's worked like a charm.

Can you provide more info about this?? Why does it go into data mode and not charge?? Why does the 120/220V charger work??

Thanks

• Member Contributer

A little more information: The Garmin sales guy and I were discussing symptoms I had encountered over the past week having driven some thousand miles, the bike was not out front of his shop but my unit was in hand.

He said that how Powerlet connects and configures the wiring to plug into the Mini USB port is critical. If they utilize the dataport wire going in to the Mini USB the unit will become confused and not want to run off power. According to him the dataport wire must be left off of the cable running into the Mini USB.

What I am presently experiencing with my unit indicates Powerlet included the dataport wires into the harness which according to the sale guy defeats the external power source functionality. His hunch confirms my great frustration to date. Here are the two Powerlet wires I am using:

Mini USB Short Powerlet Cable PPC-015-USB and a MiniUSB Adapter for Garmin GPS PPC-024

Question: "Why does the 120/220V charger work??" Answer: Although it plugs into the same Mini USB plugs as my Powerlet cable, it works simply because the dataport wire is excluded.

As soon as we plugged this charger into a wall outlet and connected it via the Mini USB to my Nuvi 760 the battery bar indicators in the upper right disappeared. This according to him is the signal that your unit is off battery mode and running on power, a situation I have yet to encounter with my present set up running off of my current Powerlet cables.

Since purchasing 120/220V charger I've been able to start the day with a full battery and have then leveraged the 3 or 4 hours of life across the span of a day through powering it on and off and have abandoned the Powerlet cables entirely.

• Member Contributer

One final thought before I get back out on the road. After speaking with the Garmin, he implied if I could use the Powerlet cable in this picture I'd be set and the unit would be in powered mode.

MiniUSB Adapter for Garmin GPS PPC-024

Hmm, this one even says specifically "Required for use with Garmin GPS units. Special circuitry inside this adapter puts the GPS in charge mode."

I think I would be calling Powerlet on this one and ask them why it doesn't work correctly. My GF bought a Nuvi 750 and has just been using it on battery. At some point, I will probably have to wire it in and the Mini USB is soooo much easier then using the standard cradle and the plug that comes with it.

• 8 months later...

Hey all---I realize this an older post, but I have a similar situation. I own a Garmin Nuvi 260. I bought the PowerLet outlet and cables for my unit. (PPC-015 & PPC-024) As mentioned, specific for our units. I have the same problem that the Nuvi sees the PowerLet cables as "data" cables.

A call to PowerLet says they should work, but here's 4 work arounds that will otherwise. No they don't!

A call to Garmin says they don't recommend 3rd party cables for their stuff (of course). They suggested a "Master reset". It didn't work either.

Now, here's the kicker! Two of my co-workers have Garmins.(Nuvi 205 & Nuvi 260W). My Powerlet cables work on both of them. What the heck! Short of buying a new GPS, I don't know what to do. Any ideas from anyone??? Is there a fix for this short of modding the cables???

Thanks for any info.

Gary

Hmm, this one even says specifically "Required for use with Garmin GPS units. Special circuitry inside this adapter puts the GPS in charge mode."

I think I would be calling Powerlet on this one and ask them why it doesn't work correctly. My GF bought a Nuvi 750 and has just been using it on battery. At some point, I will probably have to wire it in and the Mini USB is soooo much easier then using the standard cradle and the plug that comes with it.

• Member Contributer

I am glad to see all the great advice on how to use a non-motorcycle GPS on a bike.

I wasted my money on a Zumo 550. I am on my third right now. It would take 7 GPS units to equal what I spent on mine. I think the baggy trick would work fine and you would probably get more life out of yours.

• Member Contributer

The basic cheapest Nuvi runs for about $80 on Amazon. It's not waterproof but that is easily fixed by throwing it in the tankbag under the plastic map case or buying a waterproof box like this one for $40. That is MUUUCCCCHHHH cheaper than buying the waterproof version. The waterproof box works very well and the membrane front cover makes it easy to use the GPS inside without any hassle. The box is solid and will outlast the lifespan of the Nuvi.

One thing to realize about Garmin is that while they make a pretty easy to use unit with decent features they will NICKLE & DIME you to death on little things. Map updates will cost you something like $70-80 each year. Buy a high-end unit like the waterproof Zumo and you'll get butt-sex'd every year when you want to put all the new roads in it. When you buy the cheapest Amazon Nuvi Garmin always gives you the latest map update free when you register it so you don't have to worry about it being out of date. If you wreck it or the battery dies (Another but-sex opportunity for Garmin to suck your wallet dry as the battery is not user-replacible) you just buy a whole new unit that is up to date for less than fixing and updating an older high-end unit. New features come out every year and if you are married to an expensive older Garmin you will be paying like-new prices to keep it up and you'll still not have all the features the new ones have. Garmins are pretty much disposable due to the way they nickle & dime you. It's just not worth it

My $.02

• Member Contributer

I can tell you what NOT to get. Stay away from TomTom. I had to have one replaced under warranty and they are a nightmare to work with. The replacement works fine but if you need help, it just isn't worth it. :warranty:

• Member Contributer

I am glad to see all the great advice on how to use a non-motorcycle GPS on a bike.

I wasted my money on a Zumo 550. I am on my third right now. It would take 7 GPS units to equal what I spent on mine. I think the baggy trick would work fine and you would probably get more life out of yours.

I'm curious as to what kinda of problems you had/have with the Zumo. I've had my 550 for a short while, but I love it. I have it hard wired directly to the battery, and I use my Cardo Scala 2 to hear it. It's also synced with my iPhone. Before I ran the wire, the battery life was something like 3-3.5 hours, which is kinda short. But other than that, I don't have any complaints yet.

• Member Contributer

I'm curious as to what kinda of problems you had/have with the Zumo. I've had my 550 for a short while, but I love it. I have it hard wired directly to the battery, and I use my Cardo Scala 2 to hear it. It's also synced with my iPhone. Before I ran the wire, the battery life was something like 3-3.5 hours, which is kinda short. But other than that, I don't have any complaints yet.

6 weeks into use, it failed to turn back on. I was on an epic ride and after sitting in a Hardees parking lot waiting for a customer service representative to get around to talking to me, we determined that it was Dead and I needed to send it in........ I was 4 states from home.

18 months later the same thing happened, and Garmin claims that there is no known issue. It is amazing how speedy they are at taking my repair money and turning around my failed unit. Almost like they do it ALL THE TIME.

I went to the zumo forums and there is an ongoing argument that these units have a high rate of failure. The mods on that website claim the rate of failure is low, and they push around people that have anything bad to say about the Zumo.

Huge waste of money.

• Member Contributer

Hey all---I realize this an older post, but I have a similar situation. I own a Garmin Nuvi 260. I bought the PowerLet outlet and cables for my unit. (PPC-015 & PPC-024) As mentioned, specific for our units. I have the same problem that the Nuvi sees the PowerLet cables as "data" cables.

A call to PowerLet says they should work, but here's 4 work arounds that will otherwise. No they don't!

A call to Garmin says they don't recommend 3rd party cables for their stuff (of course). They suggested a "Master reset". It didn't work either.

Now, here's the kicker! Two of my co-workers have Garmins.(Nuvi 205 & Nuvi 260W). My Powerlet cables work on both of them. What the heck! Short of buying a new GPS, I don't know what to do. Any ideas from anyone??? Is there a fix for this short of modding the cables???

Thanks for any info.

Gary

Hello Gary,

If I inderstand you correctly, once you plug the unit on the powerlet, you get the screen that shows the little image of the unit connected to a PC.

Did you then wait for say 1 miute for it to go away? If not try that.

Or, with the unit powered up and displaying the above, press the on/off button.

nothing ventured nothing gained :rolleyes:

NUVI 550 :ohmy: So far so good. A basic setup, voice prompt only, no audio in or out. Does route uploads and is waterproof. I bought and extra power source for bike hook-up (at GPS city).

Every model has some distinguishing features. The difficulty with Garmin is finding which model offers which features and probably even tougher is figuring out which you actually want/need BEFORE you buy.

Mine was simple:

1. waterproof

2. route uploads

3. NOT 800$ (a la ZUMO :rolleyes: )

A bonus to the Nuvi 550 is that it has a 7 hour battery (never tried it since I have a powered setup on the bike) and the battery is replaceable, which is not true for most of the later model versions.

Good luck to all looking for a GPS unit.

Personal comment here: It doesn't make sense to me to have a unit buried in a tank bag, :huh: , especially when you are following an uploaded route or directions for a POI (restaurant/gas station), but that's just me...

Brian

• Member Contributer

Pair of Nuvi 765T's. I love them. Waterproof RAM bax mounted to front Tank bolts on VFR, stem mount on CBR.

Only down side of these is that to get the free lifetime traffic you need to use the cigarette power cord that comes with the unit. Nto a big deal, just means that instead of wiring a poer cable to the unit, you have to wire in a cigarette lighter socket, and plug the cable into that. (Only down side is a little more space used under the seat)

Been running these for a year now and they ROCK.

I listen to my MP3's from it while riding.

It has bluetooth as well as an FM transmitter for hookup options to you helmet if you do not want to use an audio cable.

• Member Contributer

Personal comment here: It doesn't make sense to me to have a unit buried in a tank bag, :tour: , especially when you are following an uploaded route or directions for a POI (restaurant/gas station), but that's just me...

Depends on your definition of "buried."

Mine sits in the map pocket and is only about an extra 10-15% further looking down than at the triple-clamp area at the front of the tank. I can operate the touchscreen just fine through the clear plastic tankbag map window, as well as have it plugged into the bikes power that I've got wired into the tankbag for this and charging my phones.

Hey guys not to :tour: but I have two friends that use the Zumo 550 everyday on their police bikes. They have had to have them replaced 5 times between both of them. They have only been using them for the past 2-3 years, so you do the math. While they both love them....I see a pattern. Also, one of my buddies uses a Zumo 550 on his Goldwing and he has had to replace his twice in the past 4 years. Just FYI.......

IMHO: I would recommend taking the GPS off the bike while it's baking in the sun (in the car too for that matter) and just giving them all TLC.

• Member Contributer

I have had better luck with the Zumo 550 since I got it right after its introduction in late 2006. The screen is taking some hits recently but I attribute that to a lot of dirty off road work. I use it on all my bikes plus the truck. Still ticking....original issue.

• Member Contributer

Hey guys not to :cheerleader: but I have two friends that use the Zumo 550 ........

I don't think this is beating a dead horse at all. This is a place for consumers to voice their opinions about a product. This is the only thing we have left against a huge Corporation like Garmin that can stiff us with...... "well sir, there is no known issue"

We need to know that there are many many others out there that are having the same problems, so we can ask for the manager enough times to get our $700 of use from our throw away GPS.

Knock on wood, I haven't had any real issues with my Zumo 550 in 3 years. I think I've had to pull the battery out twice, but that has been it. Well, besides cradle issues (which Garmin resolved for no cost to me), but the actual unit has been pretty good.

Archived