Instamapper

NorthernVFRDave

• Member Contributer

Found this on the weekend, set it up in minutes and it works great. Works with most smart-phones that have an internal GPS

Great tool so the loved ones at home can keep track of where you are on the bike, and know you’re safe.

I set it up before I took my son home yesterday and the girl friend was able to see where I was and could guess what time I was going to be home so she could time dinner. I'm going to set it up for the T-Mac trip to send updates every 30mins (default is 60seconds)

Updates and be viewed by anyone on a computer or can be seen on a mobile browser on a cell phone.

InstaMapper

livetrack.jpg

Thats awesome(that your girl cookslol). My wife worries, not about me but all the crazies trying to kill me.

• Member Contributer
Thats awesome(that your girl cookslol). My wife worries, not about me but all the crazies trying to kill me.

G/F is an awsome cook :fing02: , so good actaully I've had to start going to the gym again, food is heathy but I have a hard time controlling myself :blush:

• Member Contributer

I have a G1 and have been using it for a couple months now. Works great but really drains the battery. I'd suggest a report time of at least 5 minutes or more. Wifey loves it.

• Member Contributer

My wife helped a friend move across country from Maine to California a few weeks ago and we turned on Google Latitude on our phones for the week that she was driving across country. It was kind of fun to send her texts and ask how she liked Omaha as I watched the little dot on the map move across the country, but once she was back home we turned it off because it's just a little too creepy +1.gif

I hadn't thought about using it for rides but I like that idea :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Can't get it to work on my Verizon Blackberry Storm... :blush:

I can think of times I've found a good ride by trial and error. Usually I ride around just to see the sights, take new roads, get lost then find my way back. Having this would be nice to see where I'd gone. That having been said, I don't think I'll actually bother with the effort it'd take to set it up.

• Member Contributer
Can't get it to work on my Verizon Blackberry Storm... :blush:

Works on my Verizon Blackberry Storm ... :dry: Do you have the newest version of Google Maps installed?

• Member Contributer
Great tool so the loved ones at home can keep track of where you are on the bike, and know you’re safe.

I set it up before I took my son home yesterday and the girl friend was able to see where I was and could guess what time I was going to be home so she could time dinner. I'm going to set it up for the T-Mac trip to send updates every 30mins (default is 60seconds)

InstaMapper

livetrack.jpg

Having the girlfriend tracking you, is that a good thing? Hmmmmmmm

Now I can see for your own personal use, route planing, trip time estimates etc.

But man if theres a Sancho she's gonna know exactly what time to ell him to leave.... :blush:

Big Brother would love to track you also! :ph34r:

Heck, my bike brother never even calls...I doubt he cares :goofy:

I have thought about getting something like this...too bad I don't have a smart phone. Although i am not sure I want my wife knowing how fast I may or may not ride, I know when i take trips she would like to know that I am safe...and moving around would constitute being safe mostly.

• Member Contributer

I see the potential big brother aspects, but I also kinda like it. I ride around by myself out there a lot and I know people at home worry. I just might try to set this up. Thanks for the pointer!

• Member Contributer
I see the potential big brother aspects, but I also kinda like it. I ride around by myself out there a lot and I know people at home worry. I just might try to set this up. Thanks for the pointer!

Who says big brother is not already track us? :blink:

• Member Contributer
Who says big brother is not already track us? :goofy:

Considering they can track you simply if you have your phone on and are using it or it has GPS built in (most do now-a-days) I don't really consider this software something you need to worry about. :ph34r:

Now I need to get the girl a "new" smart phone for Christmas and load this up without telling her.... :goofy:

coderighter, there are other options for the G1, such as an app that will send your location if someone calls you twice in a row or will respond to a text with a keyword. smile.gif

This is a great feature and since I almost always ride alone, a great comfort to my family when I am out. But since I also want to be able to summon help in all the non-cell areas I ride in (emergency and non-emergency), I have been using a SPOT Messenger.

But this option is much more cost effective!

• Member Contributer

dweese - thanks for sharing info on this app. I'm going to check it out. This will be particularly helpful while I'm out riding and the wife being able to check up. My wife is really cool and really doesn't mind me going on my Sunday outings, but this will definitely help her in being able to know all is well.

I have the BB stormy Storm and have it loaded. Works like a charm.

Archived