Sandblasting '98/'99 Headers

Guest Pete McCrary

Guest Pete McCrary

I'm in the process of sandblasting my '98 headers I have on my '02 VFR. The two rear pipes cleaned up real easy, real quick.

It seems like the front pipes/main body of the exhaust has some sort of special primer or coating under the flat black paint that you really have to blast to get off to get down to grey metal.

Anyone else ever experience this?

I'm planning on painting the pipes with Techline's Satin Finish Ceramic paint this weekend.

• Member Contributer
I'm in the process of sandblasting my '98 headers I have on my '02 VFR. The two rear pipes cleaned up real easy, real quick.

It seems like the front pipes/main body of the exhaust has some sort of special primer or coating under the flat black paint that you really have to blast to get off to get down to grey metal.

I'm planning on painting the pipes with Techline's Satin Finish Ceramic paint this weekend.

Once you get the hang of it, how much will you be charging to do mine? :wheel:

Yup. When I had my powdercoated ceramic coat my headers, he said the main headers cleaned up differently from the rear tubes. He thought there was something wrong with it at first, but in the end they look great.

Yup. When I had my powdercoated ceramic coat my headers, he said the main headers cleaned up differently from the rear tubes. He thought there was something wrong with it at first, but in the end they look great.

Got pics of those? How much ,where?

The coating??

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/uploads...59_551_6121.jpg

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/uploads..._551_106300.jpg

PM if you are interested in more details so we don't hi-jack Pete's thread.

Once you get the hang of it, how much will you be charging to do mine? :biggrin:

Ain't happening. I bought a $21.95 blaster gun from MSC. I do it out in the back yard. You wind up with blast medium in your hair, mouth, every frigging orifice on your body even wearing all of the proper gear. I've got aluminum oxide in places I didn't even know I had.

The coating??

That guy in Athens do those for you? They look good.

Guys:

I am done with Harbor Freight/Northern Tools. When I started this project I went and bought a "Pressure Pot" type sand blaster for about $100 from Northern Tools. Half of it didn't fit together without redrilling the holes, etc. Then when I went to use it, it wasted more media than it blasted.

There is some good Chinese stuff out there and then there is some junk. HF/NT specializes in selling nothing but the junk.

I went over to MSC yesterday. Bought a Cyclone brand sandblast gun. It's nothing more than a gun and a syphon hose. Works like a champ. $21.95. Made in the USA BTW.

Just my 2¢.

Pete

Check out Harbor Freight, I've seen some nice size units on sale there lately.

Spend the extra bucks and go to either Grizzly or MSC and get something worth putting your money into that will work more than once and last.

Spend the extra bucks and go to either Grizzly or MSC and get something worth putting your money into that will work more than once and last.

I spent nothing and took home a TIG welding cabinet from work(argon purge chamber) that I have yet to convert. Then I spent $75 on a brand new $400 cabinet that a neighbor was selling - that one needs a vaccuum and a bigger compressor before I can run it.

If I had to spend money on buying one for volume work, I'd get a Skat cabinet from TP Tools. Otherwise the HF cabinets really did look ok...

The coating??

That guy in Athens do those for you? They look good.

Yes. I had two sets done. One is on the bike and holding up well so far. The other set is for sale. He can coat them for probably about $125 which includes stripping them. :biggrin:

Seb:

Their stuff looks good. The problem I ran into when I even thought about a cabinet is that with the exception of the frame, the front exhaust piece is one of the largest parts on a VFR. To blast that piece in a cabinet requires a pretty good sized cabinet. Then you're looking at some major $$$. Hard to justify just to do the headers.

For a one time deal of coating my headers, $21.95 was a real bargain. I'll probably use once every two or three years.

I finally broke down and spent the bucks on a decent 7 x 12 lathe. Suppose to get it tomorrow. Bought one from Grizzly.

Pete

Seb:

Their stuff looks good. The problem I ran into when I even thought about a cabinet is that with the exception of the frame, the front exhaust piece is one of the largest parts on a VFR. To blast that piece in a cabinet requires a pretty good sized cabinet. Then you're looking at some major $$$. Hard to justify just to do the headers.

For a one time deal of coating my headers, $21.95 was a real bargain. I'll probably use once every two or three years.

I finally broke down and spent the bucks on a decent 7 x 12 lathe. Suppose to get it tomorrow. Bought one from Grizzly.

Pete

Lathe?? Where is that drool smiley when I need it???

How much blast media did you use? I am thinking the cost is more in lost media, where a cabinet can reuse it?

Usually you can lay down a tarp and reclaim most of the spent media - the down side to that, IMO, is that when you have parts that need blasting and it raining/snowing/too damn hot in the sun, it's nice to have a cabinet!

Seb:

Pete

Lathe?? Where is that drool smiley when I need it???

How much blast media did you use? I am thinking the cost is more in lost media, where a cabinet can reuse it?

I used about 50# of media. Hope that stuff is good for my grass.

Like I said before, a blast cabinet big enough to get a set of headers in is gonna be expensive. I had one of those HF blast cabinets once before. It leaked so bad that the dust it would put out made my shop area a constant mess.

I used about 50# of media. Hope that stuff is good for my grass.

Like I said before, a blast cabinet big enough to get a set of headers in is gonna be expensive. I had one of those HF blast cabinets once before. It leaked so bad that the dust it would put out made my shop area a constant mess.

Did you have a vaccuum hooked up to it?

Jeez, and I actually used to complain of a slight shock when I blasted spark plugs in my brothers gigantic cabinet. i wont grumble so much now.

• Member Contributer

Pete,

Should have used turf builder, as a media.

A good used S.B., that will take headders, (just barely), will prolly run about 350++, used. If you had a vac system, and could recover fast enough, you could prolly do it with about 15 lbs. of media. I recommend glass.

What's the deal? Got to know someone, who could blast them for you. wink.gif

I spent nothing and took home a TIG welding cabinet from work(argon purge chamber) that I have yet to convert. Then I spent $75 on a brand new $400 cabinet that a neighbor was selling - that one needs a vaccuum and a bigger compressor before I can run it.

If I had to spend money on buying one for volume work, I'd get a Skat cabinet from TP Tools. Otherwise the HF cabinets really did look ok...

Hey SEB, our vac at work broke. So I hooked up our shop vac to it to suck out the dust. Guess what. It's still hooked up a year later! LOL

Archived