Sp1 Front End. Various Q´s

Bren

Question

• Member Contributer

Despite my delay in getting an SP1 front wheel I hadn´t, and haven´t, given up the quest for bits and bobs as they come along.

I think I´ve found a cheaper alternative to Helibars and need some measurements before I go ahead, as its nearly the last thing, expensive thing, I need to buy.

For the Helibars;

First the rise from the top of the Helibars fork clamp to the top of the clipon. So actual total rise if you know what I mean.

Also the height of the Helibars fork clamp, the bit that bolts to the fork tube. JZH you mentioned an issue here?

Linky

I´m not sure on these as the height extending piece is to the back of the fork clamp. This would in turn move the bars further away and increase reach to the bars. Or turned to the front would bring them too close whereas Helibars come out the side.

Also Rob I know you used an F4i master but what calipers did you use?

AB-OZ you used 954 calipers but what master?

I have F4i calipers but I would prefer gold with a VFR matching master, not remote res.

Bren

17 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

That's a much better deal than heli's. :fing02:

Sp1 or 2 forks are 50mm. I found a set of ducati 90ss clipons with even more rise than the rc51 heli's.

IMG_0645.jpg

KG9K6446.jpg

Oh and I picked 'em up for $75 off flea-bay. :biggrin: :wub:

Remember: being mounted under the top triple, you can slide the clip ons down if they are too tall.

FWIW

• Member Contributer
Nice price, but it seems the 50mm + rise are not avail at this time? Special order?

Have emailed to ask a few things, I assume they make some sizes only on order.

But my concern lies in the way they are constructed and with either pushing the bars too far away or pulling them too close.

Bren

That's a much better deal than heli's. :wub:

Sp1 or 2 forks are 50mm. I found a set of ducati 90ss clipons with even more rise than the rc51 heli's.

Oh and I picked 'em up for $75 off flea-bay. :biggrin: :ohmy:

Remember: being mounted under the top triple, you can slide the clip ons down if they are too tall.

FWIW

Doug, were these stock Duc clip-on's or aftermarket? :fing02:

• Member Contributer
That's a much better deal than heli's. :fing02:

Oh and I picked 'em up for $75 off flea-bay. :biggrin: :wub:

FWIW

What rise from top of the fork clamp to centre, or top, of bar have you got Foto? There is an option for 2 inch rise just need to see if they are suitable with the way the "height extender" piece is fixed. Helis come out the side whereas these come out either further away from the rider or nearer.

Hope they work, damn good price.

Bren

• Member Contributer
What rise from top of the fork clamp to centre, or top, of bar have you got Foto?

Approx 80mm or 3 1/4 inches. Comfy but I have a CBR upper fairing so I can't tell you anything about clearances.

• Member Contributer
Doug, were these stock Duc clip-on's or aftermarket? :blink:

Kevin,

Not 100% sure. Seller only stated they were for a Ducati 900SS. I didn't ask since I was only interested in the rise. :cool:

• Member Contributer
Also the height of the Helibars fork clamp, the bit that bolts to the fork tube. JZH you mentioned an issue here?

Thanks for the link.

I was thinking about mounting the Helis on top of the top clamp, but now I see that they are probably better mounted below (and the forks dropped all the way down until they are flush with the top clamp). I've only mocked-up the parts, nothing fitted to the bike yet.

(LOL, I have BTDT on the SP1 front wheel...The good news is that brand new ones are "only" about $450 from someplace like Service Honda or Zanotti in the USA. I ended up getting a nice one through someone on VFRD, but I was this close to buying a new one...)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the link.

I was thinking about mounting the Helis on top of the top clamp, but now I see that they are probably better mounted below (and the forks dropped all the way down until they are flush with the top clamp). I've only mocked-up the parts, nothing fitted to the bike yet.

(LOL, I have BTDT on the SP1 front wheel...The good news is that brand new ones are "only" about $450 from someplace like Service Honda or Zanotti in the USA. I ended up getting a nice one through someone on VFRD, but I was this close to buying a new one...)

Ciao,

I remember Rob had a problem with clearance when he tried this, thats why he went over the top triple.

Looking at the various pictures I think these will work. Just need to decide on the rise.

What is "BTDT" ?

Bren :wheel:

Not to thread jack, but Didn't want to start a new post for a similar mod...

Im working on a 01 V5, and I was going with the SP1 Swap.

My issue is does one have to use the 954 upper triple clamp or can you go with the SP1 upper as well?

I don't mind any fairing clearance issues, as I plan on going with a naked setup.

And I was going with dirt bars with risers bolted to the upper triple clamp. (Hence why I need the flat surface of a SP1 Upper clamp vs. the gull wing 954.)

TIA.

Guest vfrrider

The 929-954 upper gives you enough fork length to come close to factory height, regardless of bars used.

Larry

VFRrider

BTW, I ended up with convertibars for the reason that they can be moved around to avoid fairing interference.

• Member Contributer
Not to thread jack, but Didn't want to start a new post for a similar mod...

Im working on a 01 V5, and I was going with the SP1 Swap.

My issue is does one have to use the 954 upper triple clamp or can you go with the SP1 upper as well?

I don't mind any fairing clearance issues, as I plan on going with a naked setup.

And I was going with dirt bars with risers bolted to the upper triple clamp. (Hence why I need the flat surface of a SP1 Upper clamp vs. the gull wing 954.)

TIA.

The use of the 954 upper triple is to avoid the problems of fairing clearance issues. If you´ve got no fairing then no issues!

Post up a pic, would like to see what you´re doing.

And check out the link further up to see what Rob did for his conversion.

Bren

Regarding top tripleclamps and bars - zRoYz found that when he went to fit Convertibars to his VFR1, he was not able to use the CBR929 top triple with the forks at the correct height for optimum rake/trail/groundclearance spec, because he ran out of 50mm tube under the 929 triple to fit the Convertibars. So he went with an SP1 top triple which sorted the problem.

Something to keep in mind when putting your combination together.

Archived