Pics Of New (beefy) Solo Rack On A 5th Gen

Lobster

• Member Contributer

I was lucky enough to be the guinea pig for Kanadian Ken's new 5th gen Solo Racks. He has designed this one using much thicker steel and has it sitting an inch or two lower than the last version. I will tell you this thing is friggin beefy...you will not bend / ding / wreck this thing. Plus I think the new lower position looks much better. Here are a few pics I took today once I finally got it mounted. I would love to go test this thing on a 4-5 day trip soon, but that just aint in the cards right now.

You should also know (if you don't already) Ken is a top notch guy and will not leave you hanging...period. You can trust him.

Reply here or PM me with questions.

gallery_1904_3808_2164759.jpg

IMG_2752.JPG

gallery_1904_3808_3178955.jpg

IMG_2751.JPG

gallery_1904_3808_1267616.jpg

IMG_2750.JPG

gallery_1904_3808_2720706.jpg

IMG_2749.JPG

• Member Contributer
I was lucky enough to be the guinea pig for Kanadian Ken's new 5th gen Solo Racks. He has designed this one using much thicker steel and has it sitting an inch or two lower than the last version. I will tell you this thing is friggin beefy...you will not bend / ding / wreck this thing. Plus I think the new lower position looks much better. Here are a few pics I took today once I finally got it mounted. I would love to go test this thing on a 4-5 day trip soon, but that just aint in the cards right now.

You should also know (if you don't already) Ken is a top notch guy and will not leave you hanging...period. You can trust him.

Reply here or PM me with questions.

gallery_1904_3808_2164759.jpg

IMG_2752.JPG

gallery_1904_3808_3178955.jpg

IMG_2751.JPG

gallery_1904_3808_1267616.jpg

IMG_2750.JPG

gallery_1904_3808_2720706.jpg

IMG_2749.JPG

It does look beefy but why does it have to sit up so far in the air. Why not be more snugly attached at seat level.

• Member Contributer
It does look beefy but why does it have to sit up so far in the air. Why not be more snugly attached at seat level.

Because if it does, how will you take your seat off? :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Because if it does, how will you take your seat off? :laugh:

Yes, plus I know some folks like to strap stuff under there for more storage area. I think the seat issue would be a hassle if it were any lower. IMHO it's a nice compromise.

Boy, that almost sits far enough back, that without the Givi mount on there, I could possibly make a back rest for it for my 8 year old son.

What do you think Lobster...since you have one to look at. ALthough without the grab handles, it may not work.

• Member Contributer

didn't really think about taking the seat off. Then again, I'm used to packing so much gear on there that if I have to take the seat off its usually a 30min endeavor.

• Member Contributer

Hootch,

I would think there would be enough room for a backrest and your 8 year old. If you're kids grow as fast as mine then it may not work when he's 9, though!

To those who want the thing to sit closer to the seat... With a bracket set up like this, regardless of the manufacturer, making it sit closer to the seat would not allow the seat to come off and I firmly believe that would be a HUGE pain in the ass. If you want something that sits right on the seat, then go buy a bag you can strap around your cowl, or figure out a way to attach a small tail bag directly to the seat. (Baileyrock did this with a small seat bag strapped rght to the rear portion of his seat on his 6th gen. It looks great, but it is MUCH smaller than my bag and not lockable and not waterproof.) I've used both types and can tell you this setup is MUUUUUUCH nicer for touring and having the lockable waterproof bag is VERY convenient. I also think this looks much better than the typical Givi mount where the bag hangs off the end of the cowl section, but that is just my opinion.

Ken is putting together a nice product at a very reasonable price.

• 3 years later...

I did earlier after some fishing and some stalking. Waiting for reply

Err why not make it clip on so it would practically sit on the seat ? Problem solved !

Mostly because this one is higher and more practical for my needs. A clip on would be the same as a bungie cord and a soft bag IMHO. I already have a backpack that i dislike carrying around.

Hey Guys - PM responded to Jimmy.

I have 2 or 3 others that are also looking for a 5th Gen Solo Rack, but I need 25 firm listers to do another run of these.

So for now - sorry - its not on the priority list.

The Rack height is not an issue as far as any performance hindrance is concerned - you don't even know the topbox is there when you are riding - the mass of the topbox is moved MUCH forward, and the wind doesn't even notice its presence. With a stock GIVI topbox rack - the thing acts like a sail - pushing you left and right.

I've ridden thousands of miles with my Topbox on my 6th Gen - and its not even noticeable.

However, folks are entitled to appearance opinions - and I won't argue that a Solo Rack up high isn't as pretty as one down low - but lets remember one thing - you plan to put an ugly ass topbox on it!!! :)

I was thinking about his because it looks like a great piece.

Bought a Givi rack instead for $155 to mount my new $45 JC Whitney trunk. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I'm still using mine for commuting and touring. So nice not to have a backpack on. Plus I can stash my jacket and small tank bag inside it when I get to work and take the bike cover to keep the sun off the bike all day.

Sounds like you got a good deal on the Givi rack Lee.

I'll look when I head out this morning, however if there is a way to make this work with the Givi side racks, I'd be interested in knowing what price range we would be looking at. (<$100, $100-$200??)

I know either the Givi side or top rack mounts to where this mounts to, I just can't recall which part. And for the 99% of my riding that is done without a thing on my back seat, this is just the ticket. Especially when I pick up groceries and end up with heavy stuff in the top box. Gets kinda wheelie-happy. :unsure:

I thought the Givi was expensive at $155, iirc Kens was $140.

But, not available unless he gets enough commitments to make it worthwhile to invest the production cost for a batch up front.

Sounds like a good idea to me. :warranty:

Sounded like an adventure in herding cats, is why I just bought the Givi.

Maybe this weekend I can get in the garage and work on the some assembly required thing. :happy:

The Givi isn't half bad. Whenever I have something with several components like that, especially large components, I like to lay them out on the floor of the garage. And then put labels on the floor (painter's tape usually) that correspond to the directions. Then as I read the instructions, there is less to think about.

(No, you cannot have my man card for me reading instructions. I have no idea who has it, it was taken from me years ago!)

The Givi isn't half bad. Whenever I have something with several components like that, especially large components, I like to lay them out on the floor of the garage. And then put labels on the floor (painter's tape usually) that correspond to the directions. Then as I read the instructions, there is less to think about.

(No, you cannot have my man card for me reading instructions. I have no idea who has it, it was taken from me years ago!)

The instructions that came with them are mostly some crappy black and white pics, few words. :laugh:

Fortunately it's not rocket surgery, so I can suss it out. First I need some room to work in the jam packed garage. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Once I sorted out which bolts were which, and which parts went where, it was relatively easy to install. :cool:

Archived