'95 Vfr750 Conversion

mrmatt

gallery_12942_4385_363036.jpg

Rear shock install

My work has officially started this week, first a little background.

This will be my second motorcycle project, the first being my restoration of an '86 700. I really like the styling of the RC30 and think it still looks better than the newest bikes, so I wanted to make a VFR take on the round headlights and smooth lines. But after looking at pictures, the shape of the tank of the RC30 appeared significantly different than any VFR models (that I could find for sale), so I have settled on the RC45 which appeared close to the 4th gen VFR.

I found the bike with 13,300 on it for $2600, it had been dumped on the left side which bent the clutch lever and gear switch, and scratched the middle fairing, other than that it is in great condition.

gallery_12942_4282_93896.jpg

DSC01604.JPG

The goal of this project is not so much to make an RC45 replica, but to make a bike that has the looks that I think are the best of any bike on the road today, plus add any mechanical upgrades that will help performance.

The list of the major work I have planned:

929/954 rear shock

954 complete front end

RC45 bodywork

-CBR900 headlights

-CBR900 dashboard

Items I have not yet committed to (but think would be a great addition) are a single nut rear wheel and left side exhaust.

I have yet to order the bodywork so I still have no idea if I can make it work, but have started on the rear shock already and will do the front end next. Thanks to the threads here, the rear has been mostly a breeze, minus getting the battery heat shield out. I bought the 954 shock before I knew there was a difference from the 929, but I am going to see if it will work for me before I order another.

This will probably drag out into the summer, especially since it's not a heated garage. Good news is that it will give me lots of time to get feedback, even if you're trying to convince me not to change the body (which won't work) or paint it anything but red (which won't work either). I'll be posting lots of pictures as I go for your viewing pleasure

Curious if you are also planning to replace the crude, heavy, and low steel rear subframe too? Will a CBR 900 aluminium rearsubframe work if tweaked a bit here and there??

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck

But after looking at pictures, the shape of the tank of the RC30 appeared significantly different than any VFR models (that I could find for sale), so I have settled on the RC45 which appeared close to the 4th gen VFR.

G'day mrmatt, great project! Will look forward to seeing how it progresses.

If you do still have designs on the RC30, you could get a VFR400 tank, which looks the closest to the RC30 tank. But the RC45 is just as desirable :laugh:

The list of the major work I have planned:

929/954 rear shock

954 complete front end

RC45 bodywork

-CBR900 headlights

-CBR900 dashboard

You probably know a bit of or all of this, but anyway, for the record:

The 954 shock will not fit unless you mod your inner fender.

The 954 front end is a bolt-in but is substantially shorter than the OEM front end, clearance issues may ensue.

RC45 bodywork looks great, some of the Thurn stuff (Germany) is interesting as it combines 4th Gen and RC45 styling cues.

CBR900 dashboard is from memory a plug-in which just needs some tweaking, there may be some info in old topics here.

And the CBR900 headlights leads me to this - I reckon you can use the whole CBR900 (1st Gen) as a basis for what you are doing - just do some mods between the lights to add the bodywork that is scalloped out on the CBR, fill in the little holes each side of the headlights, and you're nearly there:

015f_1.JPG1eb2_1.JPG

Items I have not yet committed to (but think would be a great addition) are a single nut rear wheel and left side exhaust.

Single nut rear wheel can be achieved by combining a VFR400 hub assembly (fits into the 4th Gen SSS) and either an original RC30/45 wheel ($$$) or a modified 3rd or 5th Gen wheel (or an aftermarket wheel, more $$$). For the exhaust you need a TBR left exit full header...

Good luck with it!

• Member Contributer

mrmatt,

Since most of your oem bodywork is in good to great condition and you sell it off, you should be able to fund most of your project. :biggrin: I originally wanted to go the RC45 route on my RCBVFR project. At the time I found the front to be too many headaches and went another direction yet continued on with using a 45 tail. I also wanted underseat pipes so I used a vtec subframe too. Ultimately, I decided to go with the vtec tail and seat too so I do have the white rc45 tail section sans pipe, seat, and tail light cut outs if you're interested in it. It's from airtech.

gallery_611_2920_26817.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

gallery_611_2920_8772.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

gallery_611_2920_70942.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

Good luck with your project. If you haven't seen it, there's a Euro rider who did a 4gen/RC45 conversion complete with OEM style paint several years ago. It looks fantastic. I think he used a 45 tank (they grow on trees ya' know) and upgraded both the front/rear suspensions to complete the look. :laugh:

rvf750rr.jpg

HPIM0811.jpg

ASIASIvfrrvf.jpg

HPIM0767.jpg

Compared with the real deal:

Achterkantklein.jpg

rvfsamen1.jpg

Voorkantklein.jpg

Zijkantklein.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, the more the better

A good night's work

gallery_12942_4385_3854.jpg

DSC01666.JPG

I set the rear shock in place to see how much modification I would need to do on the rear fender, but it looked more like an inch out of place. I deemed it not worth the trouble and ordered a 929 shock today ($42 shipped)

gallery_12942_4385_377552.jpg

DSC01660.JPG

On a side note, would the 954 shock be a good upgrade to an NT650? I know of one that might make it into my garage for some wrenching...

The forks side by side

gallery_12942_4385_270467.jpg

DSC01663.JPG

Had a little trouble measuring how long the forks should be, I ended up taking a measurement from the frame behind the lower triple to the axle. Hopefully it will be very close.

I actually did see the 4th gen/RC45 conversion, I've contacted him and it was he that told me about using CBR900 lights and gauges :lurk:

When I took the dashboard off I kept looking for a speedometer cable, still haven't found it yet. There are only two electrical connectors near the middle of the instruments, was it common in '95 to have an electronically controlled speedometer? Better question is whether the same year 900 had the same setup.

gallery_12942_4385_443863.jpg

DSC01667.JPG

I'm not determined to use 900 gauges, if anyone knows of a small aftermarket setup I could use I'd like to look at it.

Good question about the subframe, I hadn't thought about it, is there a better that would fit the single piece RC45 tail? I'm not a machinist, but can dremmel and bend brackets if needed.

Enough for now

Edited by mrmatt

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, the more the better

When I took the dashboard off I kept looking for a speedometer cable, still haven't found it yet. There are only two electrical connectors near the middle of the instruments, was it common in '95 to have an electronically controlled speedometer? Better question is whether the same year 900 had the same setup.

gallery_12942_4385_443863.jpg

DSC01667.JPG

I'm not determined to use 900 gauges, if anyone knows of a small aftermarket setup I could use I'd like to look at it.

Good question about the subframe, I hadn't thought about it, is there a better that would fit the single piece RC45 tail? I'm not a machinist, but can dremmel and bend brackets if needed.

Enough for now

Yes, The 4th gen speedometer is electronically driven from a pickup at the countershaft sprocket area. It's the thingy with the "TDK" letters on it and wires going to the harnes towards the front of the bike.

I was thinking of the CBR900's subframe because I always like the way it was exposed on the bike and how the luminum was finished. Not sure if it will line up close enough with an RC 45 tail fairing. Fotomoto should have an idea. You can maybe look at the mounting bolt holes of the RC45's tail in pics and see if they are close to where the CBR900, or other subframes you might find out there will work with the 45's tail fairing.

Good luck! We will wait in great anticipation for your future posts on your project!

Beck

95 VFR

I've run into a problem, the bearings on the triple I have are roller bearings instead of ball like the VFR (no pics right now). I've been trying to get them off of the steering stem but have not been able to, any tips on this?

Also, I put the whole thing together and from my highly technical measurement system it looks like the axle is 1/2 inch shorter than stock when the top of the forks are flush with the top triple. I am not very experienced with the concept of rake and trail, what would this do to my handling of the bike?

Pictures pending on the server switch (big thanks to HS for making all this work)

But after looking at pictures, the shape of the tank of the RC30 appeared significantly different than any VFR models (that I could find for sale), so I have settled on the RC45 which appeared close to the 4th gen VFR.

CBR900 dashboard is from memory a plug-in which just needs some tweaking, there may be some info in old topics here.

And the CBR900 headlights leads me to this - I reckon you can use the whole CBR900 (1st Gen) as a basis for what you are doing - just do some mods between the lights to add the bodywork that is scalloped out on the CBR, fill in the little holes each side of the headlights, and you're nearly there:

Single nut rear wheel can be achieved by combining a VFR400 hub assembly (fits into the 4th Gen SSS) and either an original RC30/45 wheel ($$$) or a modified 3rd or 5th Gen wheel (or an aftermarket wheel, more $$$). For the exhaust you need a TBR left exit full header...

Good luck with it!

Ok, so I'm kinda doing the same thing to my VFR, but in a round about way. I have already converted to an CBR 954 front end, and a fully adjustable Wilbers Shock out back. I'm looking at fabbing in an RC-51 tail section. The part that I'm really curious about here is the CBR900RR Gauge cluster, and how much fab/mod work is required to swap out the VFR400 hub assembly. I already have a Duc rear wheel, and can have the wheel pins put in the required locations. What else in involved with that??? TIA!!!

I've run into a problem, the bearings on the triple I have are roller bearings instead of ball like the VFR (no pics right now). I've been trying to get them off of the steering stem but have not been able to, any tips on this?

Also, I put the whole thing together and from my highly technical measurement system it looks like the axle is 1/2 inch shorter than stock when the top of the forks are flush with the top triple. I am not very experienced with the concept of rake and trail, what would this do to my handling of the bike?

Pictures pending on the server switch (big thanks to HS for making all this work)

I used a dremel tool to remove the steering stem bearings from the steering stem, and had a local garage press on the tapered roller bearings. I have the 954 front end installed, and I like it alot, it does lower the front of the bike a little, but if you use the 954 top triple clamp you'll be fine, just get some clip-ons that mount below it. You'll find that turn-in is a little quicker with the 954 set-up, but I haven't had any issues with stability at all. I'm getting my bike more set up for the track than anything, and the RC-51 tail is a one piece unit, and is quite alot lighter than the stock rear tail. If you have any questions about the 954 front end, PM me, or ask here, and I'll do my best to get back to you

Good luck with it!

Hmm, is that the VFR400 (NC30) or RVF400 (NC35) ? And could I use an NC30 or 35 rear wheel as well? Project may have gotten a little more expensive...

Been a little slower lately, ordered new steering head bearings and still trying to get the old ones off the steering stem. The new Dremmel may see some action tonight

Still saving up for all the fairings, lights, mounts, and dashboard I have yet to buy...

I'm keeping track of the cost for future members' reference

not to thread jack but are there any bolt on 6th gen swaps for just the front end? I luv my 6th but I think there are alot of better looking cowls out there.

No, but with time and some fab skills you could make anything work to a certain point. One limiting factor for any 800 vfr is the side mount radiators and the cowls that cover them attach to the upper cowl.

i've got a second sharkskinz 900rr race upper if you'd like to buy it for that project. im basically doing the same thing but with a 3rd gen. 900rr subframe won't work without mods to at least the top bars. the gas tank mounts to the subframe on the 900rr (and i dont think it is on the 4th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Pics are back, sorry if I repeat myself...

Front end bolted on (loosely)

gallery_12942_4385_67218.jpg

DSC01671.JPG

gallery_12942_4385_176499.jpg

DSC01677.JPG

With the top of the forks flush with the top triple I figure it is about 1/2 inch short with my highly technical measurement system

gallery_12942_4385_201115.jpg

DSC01669.JPG

gallery_12942_4385_22513.jpg

DSC01668.JPG

I think I'll settle on having the top of the fork tubes flush with the top triple so the blue cap will stick above the plate.

I've done some searching on the CBR gauges, the 93-94 model will not work as it still uses a speedometer cable

gallery_12942_4385_3371.jpg

93_94 cbr900 gauges f.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_1265.jpg

93_94 cbr900 gauges b.jpg

I am still not certain on the 95 CBR900 gauges, I have not been able to get a good picture, but I am fairly certain that the CBR600 F3 gauges will work, judging from these pics*

*Correction: with my new found skill of counting, the CBR gauges have only 8 pins per connection

gallery_12942_4385_62244.jpg

95-98 cbr f3 F.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_136422.jpg

95-98 cbr f3 B.jpg

I'm only worried that the F3 gauges will be as big as my VFR so they wouldn't help me much, I think I'll be fighting for space anyway as the clipons are fairly low

I got the inner race off the steering stem by grinding a notch in it with my dremmel and knocking it loose with a cold chisel, shop charged me $10 to press the new one on. I suppose it's worth since I didn't destroy anything trying to hammer it on. I special ordered some washers that are 1mm diameter smaller than the outer races, so I will be able to press these on myself.

Ordered an NC30 taillight, shipping from England was more than the part, oh well

Still many more things to buy

Edited by mrmatt

watching this very clocley mate looking good , i also have 4 gen vfr would like to do some kinda conversion like this does the cbr900 headlight ass faring fit straight up? and the tail sec does it fit a fartory vfr sub frame? ig you know

keep it up ill hopfully post one up some day

The front forks are now officially installed

gallery_12942_4385_306561.jpg

DSC01680.JPG

With a new front tire next week I'll be able to get it back on the ground.

I'm also anticipating my spacer for the rear shock to come in on Monday, once I grind down the bolt head I can get that hooked up as well.

Been doing a lot of thinking about the subframe, some have gone with the CBR 900 (flyguyeddie) or RC51 (douglasthecook), but I've been thinking about an NC30. The tailpiece is basically the same shape, but I'm not sure on the length or angle from the frame. They are easily bought from the UK, so I might give it a try unless someone has some knowledge they can give me here.

Newest parts ordered:

Galfer SS front brake lines ($90) (I'll probably get the rear sometime too, just not as important right now)

EBC HH brake pads ($30ea) (thought I might as well replace them while its apart)

93-94 CBR900 headlights ($70)

• Member Contributer

Did you decide on the rear wheel setup? Here's an option I never saw before, go with the Hawk spindle and modify the 3rd gen 8 spoke wheel to make it single nut: +1.gif :mellow:

vfrwheels.jpg

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/honda-haw...-vfr-wheel.html

Small update,

Still haven't put the front wheel on, waiting for the Pilot Power tire to come in.

Found a 10x120mm corse thread bolt for the rear shock but the head was too thick to fit between the shock and bracket, so I have to show off some of my Dremel skills smile.gif

gallery_12942_4385_449932.jpg

DSC01686.JPG

With about 2-3mm removed at the middle it fits tight around the shock

I also had several aluminum spacers made at different lengths in case I wanted to change the ride height down the road. Right now I'm installing the tallest, 41.5mm, but the three shown here are 39, 40, and 41

gallery_12942_4385_280130.jpg

DSC01692.JPG

Parts update:

The NC30 taillight came in and I found it will plug directly into the wiring harness, thanks Honda

Brake pads installed, clear Galfer lines look great. I almost went for the super high dollar Goodridge lines but remembered I'm not a superbike racer in time.

98 VTR1000F brake and clutch master cylinders/reservoirs ordered ($100 each). Expensive, but looked to be the best preserved/not weathered/not scratched up I could find, and I wanted these to be in good shape.

98 CBR900 gauges ($100, good deal), wanted the 95-97 gauges but couldn't pass up as long as there's a chance of working. My concern with this is that the odometer is digital which is different than the VFR. Matching up the wires correctly will be tricky, plus I have no idea if the gauge inputs will even be the same scale.

Bidding on 900 subframe, I have even less of an idea if I can get that to work, I'm not much of a welder

watching this very clocley mate looking good , i also have 4 gen vfr would like to do some kinda conversion like this does the cbr900 headlight ass faring fit straight up? and the tail sec does it fit a fartory vfr sub frame? ig you know

keep it up ill hopfully post one up some day

I still haven't gotten my headlights in so I don't know how I'll attach them. I was kind of thinking of picking up a 93 CBR900 gauge mount so maybe they'll bolt on there, but haven't found a straight one I'm willing to pay for yet.

I'm still without the body work, hope to order it in the next few weeks, maybe month if I find some more parts I need.

Did you decide on the rear wheel setup? Here's an option I never saw before, go with the Hawk spindle and modify the 3rd gen 8 spoke wheel to make it single nut: :cool: :cool:

I hadn't thought of that either, right now I'm thinking the rear wheel and left side exhaust will be the second part of the series.

Heck, I'm tempted to put the OEM body back on just to see how it rides after all the suspension work.

Do you know if the Hawk spindle will work with a 17" NC35 rear wheel? And is that wheel good to use with the VFR? I see them for sale for around $220 so it would not be hard to get

Edited by mrmatt

Do you know if the Hawk spindle will work with a 17" NC35 rear wheel? And is that wheel good to use with the VFR?

IIRC the NC34 runs a 4.5" wide rear wheel, it will work but may make the bike appear a bit like a CBR125RR...

i have a cbr900rr gauge cluster from a 95 i believe. electric speedometer. i repinned my connector so i could use the stock vfr one, but then again i have to run a speedo line to my cluster. my bike had a cable and i bolted the new electronic drive unit straight onto my sprocket cover with no issues.

your doing exactly what i would be doing if i had a 4th gen. in fact, i wish i had a 4th gen, cause i would like to keep the 900rr tail stock and i wont be able to do that without it looking hideous. so mods would be necessary.

Sunday night update

I finally got my new Pilot Power front tire on the rim and the whole front end bolted on

gallery_12942_4385_528846.jpg

DSC01696.JPG

When the VTR master cylinder came in, I was pretty excited to find that it still had some really old brake fluid in it, some of which had congealed in the bottom. After some quality time spent cleaning this out, I was able to install the brakes and bleed them. I'm hoping I did it correctly, first time I've ever had to do that.

With the front back on the ground, I could finish installing the rear shock

gallery_12942_4385_150441.jpg

DSC01695.JPG

Since the 929 rear shock reservoir obstructs the heat shield somewhat, I chopped the lower angle off so I could still shield the battery

gallery_12942_4385_502979.jpg

DSC01698.JPG

I've done some searching on the single nut rear wheel and am certain I have to do it now. The only thing that would worry me is that I will eliminate the cush drive, but to get one of these on the back would be a great addition

gallery_12942_4385_6569.jpg

marchesini wheel.jpg

I found some NC35 spindles in the UK, but I am wondering if a Ducati spindle would fit in the 4th gen SSSA as well? The NC35 also has an inner axle that the Ducati does not seem to have, and the parts may be more available

I have not made any headway on the gauges yet, need to go by a computer store and see if they might have any connectors that I could use, then start to match up the pins.

Ordered the fender, tail, and windscreen from ARD in England, will probably call Beasley Composites this week for the upper and lower fairing, they're the only ones I've found that have the headlight cutouts.