'95 Vfr750 Conversion

mrmatt

I gotta stop reading these threads,i've always liked the single nut look better than the 4,RC30 fairings,single endurance style light.....nice to see someone follow through

• Member Contributer
Bike's looking really good, put some more brakes on it before you ride though:), have you gotten all your fairing mounting points figured out? Also, what rearsets did you find there?

Brake disks are ready to go on as and when reqired......The front nose and rear subframes are now solid and ready to go... not really wanted a full fairing, but may add/make a belly pan for racing....The rear sets are cheapies from ebay.. think they came from hongkong... just chose the 76mm ones(or was it 78mm?dont remember now).. have just finished re-making the master caliper stay on the brake side so i get the lever where i want it.. A fairly simple make out of aluminium using saw, files and then quick polish up.

Am sure a few more pics will emerge soon as things progress..

• 4 weeks later...

Well, 10 months after promising to fit the RC45 bodywork, I have an initial stab at the front fiberglass

gallery_12942_4385_426945.jpg

DSC02077.JPG

gallery_12942_4385_448691.jpg

DSC02078.JPG

gallery_12942_4385_360808.jpg

DSC02079.JPG

gallery_12942_4385_280317.jpg

DSC02080.JPG

I had to chop a lot of the lower off because it wouldn't fit around the exhaust and the clutch cover seems to stick out into the right side, so I also had to trim a little off the lip (hope I don't have to do any more). The kickstand on the left also requires a lot of trimming to get around, but I'm pretty close and just need a little bit more to get it.

I'm using the two brackets that are already there (the ones just below your knees) as an anchor for one of the three holes that join the upper and lower, and then lining up the upper to match the angle of the frame. It looks to be really close, I did notice that the body does not quite reach the front wheel when viewed from the side, but I do not think I can move it any more forward as it will come away from the line of the frame.

I also think I'll need some new clip ons that just go straight out, the 954 ones may be too high.

Edited by mrmatt

Looks good Matt. If you moved the bodywork any further forward you might have clearance issues when the forks compress?

I could see that your bars were sitting very high in relation to the bodywork, looks like it will be a sporting riding position. SP1 bars?

• 3 weeks later...

Started some work on the electrical side. I found a 15 pin connector for the gauges that will save a lot of space over the ones I had before. After getting my hand used to soldering I finally got all 14 wires done, and then slipped some shrink wrap tubing around each. I'll wrap and tape the whole bundle before it goes on.

gallery_12942_4385_468862.jpg

Now I have to shorten all of these

gallery_12942_4385_58471.jpg

I also got this in the mail today

gallery_12942_4385_138536.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So here's a question... If I get a complete Triumph hub/drive assembly, like you did Matt, and want to use a Triumph wheel, then I will only need the 2.5mm spacer on the cush drive/sprocket side for chain alignment, yes? Everything else should bolt up?

Or will there be interference with the wheel & the caliper if the wheel is not spaced out?

Ok, sorry - 3 questions! :fing02:

So here's a question... If I get a complete Triumph hub/drive assembly, like you did Matt, and want to use a Triumph wheel, then I will only need the 2.5mm spacer on the cush drive/sprocket side for chain alignment, yes? Everything else should bolt up?

Or will there be interference with the wheel & the caliper if the wheel is not spaced out?

Ok, sorry - 3 questions! :fing02:

I'm not sure on the Triumph wheel, it depends on if they used the same offset as Ducati or not. You will probably have to measure it all again and see what you come up with. The caliper will have to be spaced the same as the wheel since I am actually spacing the axle (which holds the wheel and rotor) so you will not have to worry about interference with the caliper

Edited by mrmatt

Ok, sorry - 3 questions! :dry:

I'm not sure on the Triumph wheel, it depends on if they used the same offset as Ducati or not. You will probably have to measure it all again and see what you come up with. The caliper will have to be spaced the same as the wheel since I am actually spacing the axle (which holds the wheel and rotor) so you will not have to worry about interference with the caliper

Thanks Matt! I prefer to take the approach of spacing the wheel from the axle. That way all the driveline parts will align as designed. Not saying there's anything wrong with your setup at all, I'm just a stickler like that! +1.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't made any progress on the electrical, but I have been working on the headlight and gauge bracket.

For this I envisioned a Y-shaped bracket made out of several aluminum pieces that would attach to the outside of the lights. I got a piece of 3"x4"x1/4" L bracket and cut 4 1.5" slices out with my trusty hacksaw

gallery_12942_4385_127691.jpg

I'm wishing I had a metal cutting band saw at this point, but I do have one of these (I've been working on a different project for a while now, might show it when I'm finished)

gallery_12942_4385_198234.jpg

Squared up the top and bottom cuts and took the corner off

gallery_12942_4385_164759.jpg

Now I need to drill the holes and make the center pieces, the base of the Y. Here I think I'll go for two bars of 1.5"x1/8". So far I've only been guessing on how thick to make everything, I might mill some material away when I have it all bolted up.

Edited by mrmatt

I've recently discovered Google's SketchUp, so I couldn't help myself and instead of actually milling my pieces I've been making them in my virtual reality. The program is decent, I've found a couple of problems with objects that have lots of arcs and circles, and a few of the functions are not quite intuitive, but for free it's great.

This is about how far the bracket has come in my mind, now if I can just get off my butt and make it

gallery_12942_4385_9176.jpg

Now in living color

gallery_12942_4385_184509.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_199503.jpg

I threaded the two holes on the forward bracket since there isn't much room behind the headlight dome, but everything lines up pretty well. After sketching it up on the computer I realized I didn't have enough room between the ends of the bracket so I had to move the screw holes in another half inch, and with the slide I have the flexibility for L-R adjustment

Edited by mrmatt

• 2 weeks later...

Headlight is mounted

Just mentally photoshop out all the wires

gallery_12942_4385_229.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_392014.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_532095.jpg

I cut two small sections off of some channel stock I have (1 1/2"x1/2", 1/8" web) and drilled a couple holes and another slot for the horizontal adjustment

gallery_12942_4385_484252.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_488758.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_256403.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_404023.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_129561.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_5051.jpg

I also made a couple of brackets to hang the fairing, the ones already there were not quite where I wanted them

gallery_12942_4385_111657.jpg

(yes, the 1/4" web was probably a bit too much, but at least I'll be able to hang the bike from them)

For the headlight I might add one more link to the top screw hole on the frame so they won't sink, but I'll have to figure that in when I get the gauges mounted. Next I need to finish trimming the lower/belly to fit around the exhaust and clutch cover, or get all that electrical cleaned up...

Wow man really nice work!

What are you gonna do about painting this beast?

-P

I'm kind of partial to red... but I'm open to see some photoshop suggestions when its ready to paint

Looks great and you will be able to push fag Harleys out of your way with the headlight bracket battering ram! smile.gif

On colour - I think the RC45 doesn't take a solid colour scheme quite as well as a VFR... Castrol Honda WSB colours always looked good :fing02:

Or you could probably find a Suzuka 8-Hour colour scheme that presses your buttons (I reckon most of the RC45s that ever raced were raced at Suzuka):

09_rvf750_1991.jpg

96-2-hrc.jpg

Looks great and you will be able to push fag Harleys out of your way with the headlight bracket battering ram! smile.gif

:fing02:

BRUUUUUUUBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLMMMMMMMRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! BRUUUUUUUBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLMMMMMMMRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

South-Park-Gays-Against-Fags.JPG

• Like 1

On colour - I think the RC45 doesn't take a solid colour scheme quite as well as a VFR... Castrol Honda WSB colours always looked good :rolleyes:

Or you could probably find a Suzuka 8-Hour colour scheme that presses your buttons (I reckon most of the RC45s that ever raced were raced at Suzuka):

09_rvf750_1991.jpg

96-2-hrc.jpg

Especially if you could track down that twin exhaust can setup!

Also, scraping pegs in front of a large group of fag harleys is a great way to make them poo themselves :goofy:

96-2-hrc.jpg

Especially if you could track down that twin exhaust can setup!

Yeah it's a great look! I had the chance to buy one of these a few years back for $200, brand new... didn't grab it :rolleyes:

Mail_Shot_Gun_Full.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_469698.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_193836.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_282671.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_463057.jpg

Got the Vortex clip ons installed, then realized one was upside down. Had to get the triple off again and make it right. I'm still working on making the wiring the right length, learned it's best to take the battery out BEFORE cutting wires to the fuse box.

Problems I'm still thinking about:

Ground clearance - have about 4" as it sits now, I can maybe get another inch but will have to hack up the belly a lot more. I also like how well it fits around the front tire, moving it up will just separate it visually (may not be significant though)

Oil Radiator - not sure if there is room above the fender how it was before, would like to put it below the main radiator but the PAIR system is in the way (may get rid of it too before I'm 'done')

Headlights - bracket I made works perfectly but need to get some sort of rubber gasket that will fill in around the fairing and headlight domes. Visually I think it is fine but the gap would let in lots of bugs, etc so I'd like to seal it off

Fuse box - not sure how to mount it, I know where but want something better than a bunch of zip ties

Progress is good, despite the 18F lows

Edited by mrmatt