'95 Vfr750 Conversion

mrmatt

BTW, are you also doing a rear brake caliper flip??

Might as well do it now while you're deep in there!!

You will avoid ride height reducing effect when you tighten the chain.

Beck

95 VFR

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here, I ended up putting the rear caliper back at the 12 oclock position again since that is how long the brake line is. Also, anywhere between 1 and 9 the caliper bolt heads would hit the swingarm, I didn't want to try to make a whole new caliper bracket and just used the Triumph one.

(and now its too late, I just put everything back... getting to know every screw very well...)

Edited by mrmatt

BTW, are you also doing a rear brake caliper flip??

Might as well do it now while you're deep in there!!

You will avoid ride height reducing effect when you tighten the chain.

Beck

95 VFR

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here, I ended up putting the rear caliper back at the 12 oclock position again since that is how long the brake line is. Also, anywhere between 1 and 9 the caliper bolt heads would hit the swingarm, I didn't want to try to make a whole new caliper bracket and just used the Triumph one.

(and now its too late, I just put everything back... getting to know every screw very well...)

When you tighten the chain on a 4th (and maybe also 3rd) gen VFR, the eccentric makes the rear end drop down a little, slightly changing your bikes chassis geometry. If you flip the eccentic and relocate the caliper to the bottom of the disc, the effect will be reversed, so you raise the tail (which the VFRs can all use anyway to improve handling/response) when you tighten the chain on the bike. It's been done by some here, but does involve countersinking a couple of bolts for clearance. You can do a search on the site. I'm sure a few threads must have been saved on the topic.

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck

All day in the garage but I finally have it back together, with the Ducati rear wheel installed

gallery_12942_4385_108085.jpg

DSC01773.JPG

gallery_12942_4385_321454.jpg

DSC01774.JPG

I used a few washers to space the rear caliper the same 5mm

gallery_12942_4385_177264.jpg

DSC01771.JPG

And made my own torque arm (with my dremel and hand-held drill)

gallery_12942_4385_93962.jpg

DSC01772.JPG

Its pretty rough, just used two 1/8 inch aluminum bar stock because I couldn't find anyone with the 1/4 inch stuff. I'll be making a better one later, but it'll do for now. I didn't get much of a chance to ride tonight, but what I did felt great, I'm really happy on how it's turned out. Also, I only swapped brake calipers out and it seems to work with the VFR rear master cylinder.

And I fixed the temperature sensor, ordered a CBR900 one and it is the same size as the VFR, just screwed it in and I get the right temp.

Look pretty good, stock/factory installed even!!! Any year on the CBR 900 in particular for the temp sensor, or is there a specific year that needs to be ordered? It looks like you have Pirelli Sync tires installed, I have a spare rear that will fit your rim, so if you need it, perhaps we can work something out...

When you tighten the chain on a 4th (and maybe also 3rd) gen VFR, the eccentric makes the rear end drop down a little, slightly changing your bikes chassis geometry. If you flip the eccentic and relocate the caliper to the bottom of the disc, the effect will be reversed, so you raise the tail (which the VFRs can all use anyway to improve handling/response) when you tighten the chain on the bike. It's been done by some here, but does involve countersinking a couple of bolts for clearance. You can do a search on the site. I'm sure a few threads must have been saved on the topic.

Beck

95 VFR

Ok, thanks, that makes sense. I'll have to think about that one, but it will be super easy to do once I figure out the caliper bracket/torque arm link again.

Look pretty good, stock/factory installed even!!! Any year on the CBR 900 in particular for the temp sensor, or is there a specific year that needs to be ordered? It looks like you have Pirelli Sync tires installed, I have a spare rear that will fit your rim, so if you need it, perhaps we can work something out...

Thanks, I matched the temp sensor with the year of gauges I got, so its from a 98 CBR900 (about $30). From riding today, I'm getting a warm bike temp of 165-175 F, is this the normal operating temperature? It looks very reasonable to me so I believe its accurate.

Thanks for the offer, the tire is just what came with the wheel and it seems to hold air have have some tread left. Tire types represent a large hole in my mind where there should be information, I was planning to wear it out and replace with a Pilot Road 2 or Pilot Power since I've heard a lot of people around here like them both.

Thanks, I matched the temp sensor with the year of gauges I got, so its from a 98 CBR900 (about $30). From riding today, I'm getting a warm bike temp of 165-175 F, is this the normal operating temperature? It looks very reasonable to me so I believe its accurate.

Thanks for the offer, the tire is just what came with the wheel and it seems to hold air have have some tread left. Tire types represent a large hole in my mind where there should be information, I was planning to wear it out and replace with a Pilot Road 2 or Pilot Power since I've heard a lot of people around here like them both.

My Ducati rear rim also came with the Pirelli. I have a new Conti Sport Attack mounted to it. The pirelli has about 85% tread life in it, I don't really know what to do with it. I'm a fan of the Conti's so far. I've done trackdays at Assen, Valencia and Sachsenring on the Conti Road Attacks, but I want something a little stickier. Perhaps like you, my next set may be the new Pilot Power 2CT's or something similar. The Bridgestone BT-016's look intriguing as well. I still need to install my new rear axle, courtesy of SAFE-T, and am just waiting for my final 2 pieces of parts to arrive. More than likely it'll be the weekend of the 13th, of June that is. I'm envious, yours is ready to go!!!

Edited by douglasthecook

My Ducati rear rim also came with the Pirelli. I have a new Conti Sport Attack mounted to it. The pirelli has about 85% tread life in it, I don't really know what to do with it. I'm a fan of the Conti's so far. I've done trackdays at Assen, Valencia and Sachsenring on the Conti Road Attacks, but I want something a little stickier. Perhaps like you, my next set may be the new Pilot Power 2CT's or something similar. The Bridgestone BT-016's look intriguing as well. I still need to install my new rear axle, courtesy of SAFE-T, and am just waiting for my final 2 pieces of parts to arrive. More than likely it'll be the weekend of the 13th, of June that is. I'm envious, yours is ready to go!!!

Nice, I hate waiting for parts.

Which axle/wheel combo are you going with? I suspect the VFR400 might be an easier swap, plus without the cush drive it should be lighter.

How mine looks all together with stock bodywork. The 5 spoke looks a lot (almost exactly) like the 5th-6th gen VFR, I think it looks good with the design of the bike. If I want something more radical and lighter there's always more options now (with a price)

gallery_12942_4385_491207.jpg

DSC01775.JPG

Nice, I hate waiting for parts.

Which axle/wheel combo are you going with? I suspect the VFR400 might be an easier swap, plus without the cush drive it should be lighter.

How mine looks all together with stock bodywork. The 5 spoke looks a lot (almost exactly) like the 5th-6th gen VFR, I think it looks good with the design of the bike. If I want something more radical and lighter there's always more options now (with a price)

gallery_12942_4385_491207.jpg

DSC01775.JPG

So did you notice any handling difference with the wider rear tire? I had a stock VFR rear axle modified, sent a new one off to SAFE-T, and he knew a machinist that could do the work. It's so good, I can't tell where the stock axle ends, and the new part begins!!! This is something that I seem to have pestered him about every winter for the past 3 winters. Well this winter I finally did it. Phase II is almost complete, gimme a few more weeks for the rest of my parts to arrive, and I'll post up pics!!!

• Member Contributer

That single nut sure looks sweet! It is cool that you were able to use the Triumph rear end with almost no mod to bolt on. That is something that the 3rd/4th gen guys certainly can obtain.

You should be able to use any aftermarket wheel that would bolt onto the Triumph. What a nice selection to choose from.

I'm sad I was unable to pull it off without major modification. :biggrin:

Enjoy.

Awesome. I vote for PVM 10Y wheels!!

Yikes, that's more than I paid for my whole bike (before mods). They should at least throw in a tire for free...smile.gif

So did you notice any handling difference with the wider rear tire? I had a stock VFR rear axle modified, sent a new one off to SAFE-T, and he knew a machinist that could do the work. It's so good, I can't tell where the stock axle ends, and the new part begins!!! This is something that I seem to have pestered him about every winter for the past 3 winters. Well this winter I finally did it. Phase II is almost complete, gimme a few more weeks for the rest of my parts to arrive, and I'll post up pics!!!

Well, I can't really say that I have, but that doesn't mean much coming from me. I've only ever (in my life) ridden probably 3500 miles, 3k of which is on the 700, so I'm still trying to figure out how to ride these things. I really did notice the front 954 swap though, totally different bike. Maybe sometime down the road I could give a better ride review...

Glad you finally got that axle modified, waiting for the pictures

Edited by mrmatt

• Member Contributer
You should be able to use any aftermarket wheel that would bolt onto the Triumph.

Now that he had the spindle shortened he can only fit Ducati wheels, but there are more Duc wheels out there than Triumph wheels, so I think he came out ahead.

Some pics of Doug's modified spindle before I boxed it up...

gallery_654_4563_220384.jpg

PICT3146.JPG

gallery_654_4563_6415.jpg

PICT3147.JPG

gallery_654_4563_56309.jpg

PICT3152.JPG

gallery_654_4563_205138.jpg

PICT3153.JPG

• Member Contributer
I really did notice the front 954 swap though, totally different bike.

Now you need an RC51 front wheel to match the five-spoke Ducati rear wheel.

hi mrmatt

very interesting your modification smile.gif i want to do the same thing with 929 or 954 forck ( it's correct ?.. ) or front suspension

what problem did you have to resolve ?

do you have the advice for me ?

perhaps i must create a new topic to collect information and advice

hi mrmatt

very interesting your modification smile.gif i want to do the same thing with 929 or 954 forck ( it's correct ?.. ) or front suspension

The front fork swap is fairly straight foward if you have any mechanical know-how. I believe that if you do a search for "Frankenviffer" you will get alot of results. I have also done the swap, so between the two of us (MrMatt) I'm sure we can get you squared away!

hi mrmatt

The front fork swap is fairly straight foward if you have any mechanical know-how. I believe that if you do a search for "Frankenviffer" you will get alot of results. I have also done the swap, so between the two of us (MrMatt) I'm sure we can get you squared away!

Agree, it was a fairly simple bolt on, just put the VFR controls on the complete 929 or 954 front end (I believe they are the same) and you'll be good. The even use the same size steering head bearings. The three things that you'll have to figure out on the VFR side will be the clip ons clearance with the dashboard, the oil radiator mount, and the inner shroud for the bodywork.

If you get some taller clip ons they should be able to clear the gauges (sorry I don't know about this one), the oil radiator can be mounted on the last hole of the fairing stay (I haven't had any wheel clearance issues), and for the inner shroud I trimmed the top of it when it starts to curve in enough to get under the oil hoses.

Good luck, don't hesitate to ask any questions, and post some pics when you get it :blush:

Guest Laurent91580
hi mrmatt

Hello Pascal ! :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally gave in a bought a Speedohealer. The install was super easy, though I did enjoy the disclaimer

'Do not attempt to install the product if you don't have basic mechanical skills.'

Having barely passed this qualification, I plugged it in (right above the fuel pump)

gallery_12942_4385_372660.jpg

DSC01778.JPG

and put the unit under the passenger seat

gallery_12942_4385_333229.jpg

DSC01779.JPG

It will calibrate from -100% to +10,000% scale, plenty for what I need. I tested it out by a roadside speed indicator, so far I think around 550% is correct, I'll be fine tuning this over the next few days.

I'll recommend the Speedohealer, a bit expensive (just over $100) but it works, is easy to figure out, and looks durable and good quality, but time will tell.

Edit: Corrected to 570.4

Edited by mrmatt

• 3 months later...

After several months of stagnation (couple of trips mixed in) I pick up my conversion project again

I found a left exit system on ebay off of a 3rd gen, wasn't specially listed so I'm pretty sure the person parting the bike out didn't know what he had. Got it for $120 shipped (!)

Step 1: remove center stand by pulling the spring off with a pair of locking plyers

Step 1a: bash knuckles on the closest floor/exhaust pipe when plyers slip off

Step 1b: curse

Step 1c: take dremel and cut spring

Step 1d: finish removing center stand

Step 2: take stock system off (felt heaver than the new one, should have weighed them)

gallery_12942_4385_427439.jpg

Step 2a: shear two out of three of the rear header bolts

gallery_12942_4385_18350.jpg

Step 2b: curse

Step 3: install new system :mad:

gallery_12942_4385_24861.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_359706.jpg

gallery_12942_4385_271955.jpg

I still need to get a taller mid pipe, the one on it is a low exit, and find a carbon fiber muffler (or any lightweight one, any suggestions?)

Now that the exhaust is taken care of, nothing is stopping me from fitting the new bodywork, except that it needs to be trimmed and made to fit. I think I'll have to make a cut out for the side stand, but the exhaust seems to fit above the longer belly pan, the large stock collector used to get in the way.

I also picked up a really nice set of dual headlights from aztec8 ($178 sad.gif ), they needed to be spaced apart a little more but it was no problem

gallery_12942_4385_47808.jpg

I didn't want to give in and get these, but they're enclosed and should be easy to install, rather than trying to adapt a CBR bracket that was made to mount to the upper fairing instead of the frame. The brackets to mount the lights and gauges will still be tricky though.

• Member Contributer

Matt,

Smooookkkinnnnggg good looking!

You snagged a sweet header. You still might be able to use the center stand, it looks as though the outlet does not have a distinct bend outward.

Got the muffler on and then promptly repacked it (actually didn't have any packing, was a little loud for me)

gallery_12942_4385_213248.jpg

DSC02073.JPG

gallery_12942_4385_363221.jpg

DSC02074.JPG

I wasn't sure about the low mount mid pipe at first, but now I think it looks good enough to keep it on until I find someone to make a high mount one for me. I made the bracket out of some aluminum bar stock I had around my garage, two bends and two 8mm holes and its done, might do something more elaborate later

Great to see the progress MrMatt. Can't wait to see the new threads :biggrin:

A mate weighed his TBR left-exit and his stock system, will see if I can dig up the email he sent me.

• Member Contributer

I see your bikes looking like mine did over this summer.

I might well be selling on my high level carbon 2bros. can and connector pipe real soon.

Looks like i am going to put a 90 degree turn on the exit of this 2bros system im using here.

Will put an Arrows carbon can under the seat right exit at some point.

Wont be this month tho as there are a few things to tweek as yet. (like battery issues)

Have a 520 race swing arm with the rear Dymag all ready to go. But Ill use the standard 530 set up for the road, just clean it up.

Am hoping to ride bike to fabricator for exhaust pipe job. Just so i know it works properly first, Ill also be knocking up a temporay exhaust can stay....

gallery_5025_556_651850.jpg

september 09

Edited by B4D80Y

Bike's looking really good, put some more brakes on it before you ride though:), have you gotten all your fairing mounting points figured out? Also, what rearsets did you find there?

Edited by mrmatt