Looking To Buy 1st Vfr

Guest ride4ever

Guest ride4ever

Hey all - I'm a newbie to the VFR forum and I'm looking for some advice.

I'm looking to buy a 6th generation VFR-probably an 03 or 04 if I can find the right one. One that I'm considering taking a look at is an '03 ABS with 51k miles on it. I'll be honest, I don't know much about these bikes but should I be concerned with mileage that high?? What things should I look for to make sure I'm not getting screwed on the deal? The guy's asking $4,700 (which I think is way to high) what might be a good number to offer him for a bike with this kind of mileage? He's the 2nd owner but hasn't put any miles on it - apparently he buys bikes flip them as a second job. He say's the 1st owner put all the miles on it.

How long do the chain and sprockets typically last on these bikes? What other kind of costly maintenance might I be looking forward to in the next 10-20k miles?

The mods that it has are:

-Staitune pipes

-Rear wheel hugger

-Gravity zero screen

Any and ALL help will be greatly appreciated!!! smile.gif

I'm not afraid of a properly maintained high mileage VFR. Many have been known to go well over 100,000 miles and even more than that. You should be able to look the bike over and tell whether or not it has been well cared for. $4,700 is way high. That's the cool thing about these bikes the value goes to nothing after they become high mileage, but they still may be great bikes. Knock a grand off his asking price and you have a deal.

its worth whatever the guy can get for it, but if you can ride away for 4 large, i would say it was equitable. the mileage should not be an issue, as it says "honda" on the tank.

but remember, it is the end of most people's riding season, so you have some leverage. 3500 would be a home run.

if it is flat black, give him more than he is asking!

Find out first what kind of maintenance has been done on it. If it's had a recent oil, coolant, fork oil, brake fluid change, nice tires, good brake pads, good chain, etc, then it's worth close to what he's asking.

Welcome to the forum! smile.gif

Without knowing more about that particular bike (maintenance history, condition of tires, brakes, chain and sprockets, and the bike in general) I would say $4700 is high. But if it's been properly maintained, 51k mi. is not a problem. My '04 is nearing 30k mi. and I think it runs better now than when it was new.

If I remember correctly, chain and sprockets generally are good for 16k mi. I got over 18k on my OEM set, but the chain was very worn by that point.

Depending on what has or hasn't been done recently, you could be looking at oil change and filter, air filter, tires, brake pads, fork oil, brake and clutch fluids, and valve inspection/adjustment. Obviously you can do a lot of these things yourself and save money, but excluding the tires and valves I'm guessing you'd be looking at around $1k for a shop to do all of the above.

There are tons of terrific folks on this forum, many of whom are pretty good at wrenching on bikes, so for the price of a pizza and a few beers you might get some cheap help with this stuff, depending on where you live (i.e. how close you live to some other VFR nuts).

Please let us know how it turns out with that '03 ABS. wink.gif

Agreed - the 51K is NOT a problem **IF** it's been properly maintained. If not, that's 51K hard miles.

As for sprockets, chains, and other parts -- you'll replace stuff like that several times in the NEXT 51K miles, so don't sweat it.

NADA low retail is $4,540 and average retail is $5,970: http://tinyurl.com/6nq43l

That said, I do NOT think that $4,700 is "way high" as others have stated, but I do think that you should be able to negotiate your way down to the low $4xxx, depending upon how motivated the seller is to move the bike.

But don't get stuck on one bike, just because you've seen it. I just picked up my third VFR, a '98 in absolute pristine condition, loaded with about $2,000+ worth of (newer) aftermarket accessories, and only 13,800 miles -- for $4,000.

The deals ARE out there. So don't short-change yourself and overpay for something you'll regret later. If this guy won't deal down to the low $4xxx, then there are plenty of others who will.

3500 would be a home run.

On a bike with a NADA average retail of $30 short of $6,000, getting it for $3,500 wouldn't be a home run -- it would be a wet dream (and, realistically, an near-impossiblity, unless the seller is an absolute idiot and/or the bike was NOT maintained and is in poor operating condition).

• Member Contributer
Agreed - the 51K is NOT a problem **IF** it's been properly maintained. If not, that's 51K hard miles.

As for sprockets, chains, and other parts -- you'll replace stuff like that several times in the NEXT 51K miles, so don't sweat it.

NADA low retail is $4,540 and average retail is $5,970: http://tinyurl.com/6nq43l

That said, I do NOT think that $4,700 is "way high" as others have stated, but I do think that you should be able to negotiate your way down to the low $4xxx, depending upon how motivated the seller is to move the bike.

But don't get stuck on one bike, just because you've seen it. I just picked up my third VFR, a '98 in absolute pristine condition, loaded with about $2,000+ worth of (newer) aftermarket accessories, and only 13,800 miles -- for $4,000.

The deals ARE out there. So don't short-change yourself and overpay for something you'll regret later. If this guy won't deal down to the low $4xxx, then there are plenty of others who will.

:dry:

• Member Contributer

There was a recent recall for a wire harness isue. You might want to get the VIN number off the bike and check with your local Honda dealer to see if it has been done. If it has not, your dealer will do it free of charge as it was a recall by Honda.

VFR's are very solid bikes and will out last most others. Look the bike over for any signs it may have been wrecked. Ask the guy if the title is clear, (not salvage).

When buying the bike, assume that you will need to change out some fluids just to be safe, (brake, clutch, oil, coolant etc). The brake system bleed is a bit complicated to do correctly on these since they have the linked brakes.

The Staintune exhaust is a nice upgrade. The stock seat is not the best and a lot of folks here replace it with a Sargent seat.

Try to find out who the previous owner was and see if they can provide any maintenance history.

If you have any doubt, don't be hesitant to walk away. There are VFR's for sale on this site quite often.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for all your insight and knowledge on my post!!! I'll let everyone know what the final outcome is on this bike. I'm going to look at it over the weekend and take her for a spin. The owner says that all the maintenance has been kept up but unless he has receipts from the 1st owner I either take him at his word or assume the worst. With 51k miles, there very well could be some abuse but to rack 10k miles a year on a bike I'm thinking that the maintenance had to be kept up on it. After all, you can't ride that many miles on ANY bike without taking decent care of it or it's most likely going to let you sit.

I'm also looking at another 03 this weekend at a local dealer - asking $5,500 with only 9k miles - all stock. I'm thinking if I can talk him down to $5k that might be a better option than low $4k for a bike with 51k miles.

Your thoughts??? :unsure:

My suggestion is to take your time and find a bike with low mileage. With a high mileage bike, your cost of ownership over the next couple years may be more expensive in the end since maintenance and parts (i.e. shock, chain, sprockets, fork seals, etc.) will eventually need to be replaced. Then what you are left with should you decide to sell the bike is one with really high mileage that won't fetch much at all.

I've been successful for many years buying a variety of used bikes with low mileage at a very reasonable price which resulted in cost of ownership being negligible on most of them and even profitable on some others. I've never had a bike in for any kind of repair, ever.

• Member Contributer

Altho I don't think 51,000 is all that much for miles, the other one may be the better deal if you plan on riding alot.

I have 32,000 on my 07 now, absolutley no problems with it, maintenance consists of oil changes, rear brakes once, a chain at 20,000,,,, oh, and alot of gas stops.

Which ever one you choose, enjoy :unsure:

Altho I don't think 51,000 is all that much for miles, the other one may be the better deal if you plan on riding alot.

I have 32,000 on my 07 now, absolutley no problems with it, maintenance consists of oil changes, rear brakes once, a chain at 20,000,,,, oh, and alot of gas stops.

Change your fork oil you cheap bastage! :laugh:

After all, you can't ride that many miles on ANY bike without taking decent care of it or it's most likely going to let you sit.

If there's a list of bikes that COULD get away with that, the VFR would definately be at/near the top. But, I digress.

• Member Contributer

Change your fork oil you cheap bastage! :blink:

Hmmm, how often for that? Got 12,000 on it since the Racetech upgrade was done.

Just so this isn't a hijack, the #1 thing to improve a 6 gen,, Racetech springs and gold valve kit,, ALOT of bang for the buck :laugh:

Change your fork oil you cheap bastage! :blink:

Just so this isn't a hijack, the #1 thing to improve a 6 gen,, Racetech springs and gold valve kit,, ALOT of bang for the buck :unsure:

I'm doing mine every year, looks like bushings every other.

Totally agree on suspension being the #1 upgrade! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

While I wouldn't be nervous to buy a bike with mileage that high (and that is high for a bike that age) it would have to be a deal. I simply think that bike is overpriced. As far as NADA values are concerned I won't pay book for a bike, and as was mentioned it is off season and has anyone checked the economy recently? It's a buyers market. I think you could find a bike with much less mileage for very similar cash. Stick around here they come up quite a bit. Good Luck.

don't sell the ABS short either...while it adds to the cost/time to bleed the brakes, it also adds significantly to the value of the bike.

That being said, I think 4500 is too high. I paid 5K for my 2002 w/ABS 1.5 years ago, with only 14K miles and near mint condition.

While I wouldn't be nervous to buy a bike with mileage that high (and that is high for a bike that age) it would have to be a deal. I simply think that bike is overpriced.
You can THINK all you want, but nobody's going to sell an '08 VFR for $3,000 (or whatever your dream price may be), unless it's been beat to hell. Too many others willing to pay a fair price for a great bike.
As far as NADA values are concerned I won't pay book for a bike,
Nobody told him to pay book. The NADA prices were presented only as an FYI. If you read, we told him he should be able to talk the seller down to the low $4xxx range, which is more than fair for an '03 with 51K miles that has been maintained _properly_.
and as was mentioned it is off season and has anyone checked the economy recently? It's a buyers market. I think you could find a bike with much less mileage for very similar cash. Stick around here they come up quite a bit. Good Luck.
Be sure to post back and show us the 2003 ABS VFR for under $4,000 and "much less mileage".

I paid 6k for mine but it has a running ton of Farkles and is in unbelivable condition. A buddy thought my VFR was new when he looked at it.

I looked around for probably six months before I found what I thought was "the" bike... Basically I wanted one with ALL the stuff already on it I would ever want... Since the wife would kill me if I bought a bike then started dumping money into it on "toys" +1.gif

I think 30-50k is not high basically its 5kish per year.... Pretty low. It is a Honda...They run forever!

• Member Contributer
While I wouldn't be nervous to buy a bike with mileage that high (and that is high for a bike that age) it would have to be a deal. I simply think that bike is overpriced.
You can THINK all you want, but nobody's going to sell an '08 VFR for $3,000 (or whatever your dream price may be), unless it's been beat to hell. Too many others willing to pay a fair price for a great bike.

Thanks for the permission but I was going to THINK anyway. Who mentioned 3K?

As far as NADA values are concerned I won't pay book for a bike,
Nobody told him to pay book. The NADA prices were presented only as an FYI. If you read, we told him he should be able to talk the seller down to the low $4xxx range, which is more than fair for an '03 with 51K miles that has been maintained _properly_.

You used average retail as a reference. I would not pay average retail. I did read it, again thanks for your concern.

and as was mentioned it is off season and has anyone checked the economy recently? It's a buyers market. I think you could find a bike with much less mileage for very similar cash. Stick around here they come up quite a bit. Good Luck.
Be sure to post back and show us the 2003 ABS VFR for under $4,000 and "much less mileage".

Again who mentioned 4K? If you read what I said it was that he could find a similar bike with less mileage for a similar amount to what the high mileage bike owner is asking.

And since you were so concerned with me I want to return the favor as I am concerned for you.

My suggestion DECAF +1.gif

apparently he buys bikes flip them as a second job. He say's the 1st owner put all the miles on it.

I am sorry, but I have never trusted individuals who purchase vehicles of any kind with the express purpose of reselling them at a profit. These people often do not know as much about the quirks of the vehicles as someone who purchased it in order to use themselves, and their primary motivation is generally to get rid of it as quickly as possible for as high of a profit as possible.

There should be many options around the same year, and for the price you are looking for, which have been maintained by motorcycle enthusiasts. At the very least, get in contact with the previous owner and get a proper inspection by a trusted local shop.

• Member Contributer

Change your fork oil you cheap bastage! :laugh:

Just so this isn't a hijack, the #1 thing to improve a 6 gen,, Racetech springs and gold valve kit,, ALOT of bang for the buck +1.gif

I'm doing mine every year, looks like bushings every other.

Totally agree on suspension being the #1 upgrade! :laugh:

If you'd keep the front wheel on the pavement....oh, nevermind... :blink:

Just wanted to let you know I found a similar one with only 18k miles, abs, Leo Vince exhast, tank bra, upgraded grips and windscreen in Honda red and I bought it for 5k. Has a couple of minor scatches on the tank most of which I've already buffed out. At the end of the day thats the most I wanted to spend and it has a majority of the upgrades that I wanted and I was happy with the price. The one thing that it was missing was the saddle bags which are hard to find anyway and ad quite a bit to the cost too. I figure that I may buy a Givi set up rather than the factory Honda bags since they seem to be about half the cost.

I took it out for a short spin today and think I may want to invest in a taller windscreen than what is on there now. Does Givi make the tallest aftermarket screen for these bikes? I'm going to get it to a shop this week to have all the fluids changed and to check the chain and sprocets since I don't know if they've ever been changed.

Archived