Winter Is Here....need Some Advice

Guest sigsauer33

Guest sigsauer33

Ok so I have been doing some searching around the site for a few days and I got some questions. I have been riding the VFR as my only vehicle for some time now. While living in SC only 1.5 miles from work the cold weather was no bother. Now I have moved to NC and the drive to work is over 40 miles and the temp on the bike the other day showed 35 and trust me I was feeling it. As of right now the only cold weather gear that i have is a BMW heated vest that I plug into my BMW plug on the VFR. So to try and make my riding a little more comfortable I have come up with the following questions.

Heated grips:

I have looked at the many kits that most of you post for this and I must say that they are cheaper than I expected. But do they really do anything for you, as most of you said they do nothing for the tops of your hands so would this even be a smart purchase for me?

Heated Gloves:

This price for the ones that i have seen are a little high IMO unless there are cheaper ones that I have not seen (under 100). Are they really worth the money or would a pair or winter riding gloves be fine?

Face Warmth:

I have an HJC AC Carbon. I bought the helmet in the summer and of course I borught the sized that fit comfortably. Now in the winter I try and put the head thing ( I forgot what it is called, the thing that goes over your head and covers your face) but when I wear it, it makes my helmet really tight. Any other thoughts on how to keep my face warm.

Legs:

Has anyone worn the cold weather under armor? Or is there something else I can put under my uniform to keep my legs warm?

I think that should somewhat wrap up my questions for the time being. thanks for your help in advance.

• Member Contributer

Take a look at a snowmobile gear website. There are lots of cold weather accessories that could easily be adapted to the motorcycle. Your list is good -- typical of what most of us do. Heated grips, heated clothes, layers of clothes, turtle shell under the helmet, blocking anyplace air can get in. In full gear, I've been on a snowmobile in 10 degrees all day long without a shiver.

Winter Motorcycle Gloves

Overpants with quilted liner

UnderArmor Balaclava (very thin, helmet fits fine)

Scarf to keep neck warm (this one I want a different Balaclava for, with a thicker neck material)

I don't have a heated vest, but I have gone into the teens using a sweatshirt under my jacket (textile with thin rain liner).

Like your mom always said "Dress in layers." I am pretty lucky here in Arizona with the mild weather but I used to live in Baltimore and it gets pretty cold. The best thing I can say is invest in a good set of gloves. I have an awesome set from Joe Rocket that is warm without being too thick. That's important becuase you still need to be able to control the motorcycle. If you have a good textile or leather jacket and pants w/liner you should stay warm. I have never had heated gear although it sounds nice and I have ridden down to 17 degrees outside. The most important thing is that you get something that is warm without being too thick. You should be able to find some stuff for a reasonable price on newenough.com.

• Member Contributer

To answer for the heated grips. The tops of my hands still get a little cold. Right now my MIL and I are working on a copy of the Hippo Hands for me to use on the Viffer. They won't be the most stylish thing, but just keeping the wind off will be a huge improvement, especially when you have the headed grips as well.

To answer for the heated grips. The tops of my hands still get a little cold. Right now my MIL and I are working on a copy of the Hippo Hands for me to use on the Viffer. They won't be the most stylish thing, but just keeping the wind off will be a huge improvement, especially when you have the headed grips as well.

Let me know if you get something does with the HIPPO HANDS I would love that set up, I could care less how I look going 60 MPH down the road. In my 10 years of riding never once did I have someone jump out and stop me just to tell me that I look rally good on my bike so untill then I think that I care more about being comfortable.

Let me know if you get something does with the HIPPO HANDS I would love that set up, I could care less how I look going 60 MPH down the road. In my 10 years of riding never once did I have someone jump out and stop me just to tell me that I look rally good on my bike so untill then I think that I care more about being comfortable.

Brand name hippo hands are expensive, but you can find these at nearly any ATV shop and they work great.

DSC03339.jpg

My thread after installing them: here

They work well, although they do look goofy, and they take some getting used to. They allow me to wear my thin gloves, with the grip heaters on low to the upper teens (the coldest i've ridden). I don't use them all the time, and they take less than a minute to put them on and adjust them.

As for grip heaters, i run ones i also picked up at a local ATV shop, iirc, they cost around $20 and work GREAT. there is a warning on the package saying not to use them on motorcycles, as they could melt the throttle, but i haven't had an issue in over a year. I usually only ride with them on low, as high feels as though its going to fry your hands. Use extra hold hairspray to re-attach your grips.

As others suggested, wear layers.

• Member Contributer

These things are great.

I used them for years when I was a dispatch rider in London. Driving all day in winter, easily down to -2C in the mornings, with frost and then the rain. With heated grips the only part of me that wasn´t frozen was my hands.

No they dont look great but they work.

A small hint for installing.

A bit of Alu bar or similar screwed into the bar end and bent around in front of the levers stops the "Mitts" from pressing onto your levers while driving, definitely helps with the life of your brake pads. Also screw the bar end bolt through the mitt then the alu bar, everything stays nicely in place.

Bren

ATV handlebar mitts! Only costed me about $15.

gallery_4208_389_434095.jpg

Actually, I found these things to be quite annoying. At highway speeds, the wind would push back on the mitts enough to slightly tap my brake lever, which would cause me cruise control to disengage. Around town though, these things were awesome.

After trying heated grips for a bit, I've moved on to heated gloves. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Heated grips are critical. I left a gas station in TN in November last year, it was 28 degrees out. I pulled into the gas staion before 5AM as I pulled out it was 9AM. Its a long story, but I was stuck with no key for 4 hours. As I was riding down the road, I was not freezing, I was frozen. I was beginning to think I accidentally disconnected the heated grips switch as I was working on the bike. I remember thinking, "How am I going to make it without these grips." My widder lectric vest was good, but my hands were numb..... Finally, I started feeling them heating up. You have no idea how relieved I was! I cooked my hands (both sides) on the HIGH setting so thankful my bike was giving me warmth again. Heated grips are 20 bucks. Heated grips are wonderful. I will put them on every bike I ever own without question.

Underarmour cold gear is great stuff. Pricey, but a good flat seamed first layer. Here is my equipment:

-I use underarmour cold gear "metal" LS top.

-Put the heated vest right over this. You want it close to you skin so you actually warm your insides, not the air around your body.

- I wear the cold gear leggings and socks.

- If its really really cold (below 25), I will wear a pair of BMW gortex pants over the leggings.

- I have a full riding suit with internal liners. (wind/water proof)

- I wear a EDZ multi-tube for my neck (inside the colar of the vest, and tucked inside my helmet)

- I use thin/medium Held Steve gloves.

- I have good, tall riding boots

- I have underarmour glove liners if it gets really cold.

I been on the bike in the 20s all day long and for hours on the slab dressed in the above. The only parts that got cold were my bicepts by my elbows. Its nice beacuse I can pack very light, even in the winter.

I purchased the widder "arm chaps" which connect to my vest to fix that one problem area. Haven't tried them yet.

• Member Contributer
...I think that should somewhat wrap up my questions for the time being. thanks for your help in advance.

You can't beat the military polypro for warmth (shirt, pants and gaiter). And it's free. I've got piles of the stuff collected over multiple PCS moves.

I use it for riding, snowboarding and general cold weather mischief.

In combination with some kind of windblock (ie, rainsuit), you should be inexpensively warm.

Arctex makes long john top and bottoms that are my 2nd choice. A bit expensive but warm.

...I think that should somewhat wrap up my questions for the time being. thanks for your help in advance.

You can't beat the military polypro for warmth (shirt, pants and gaiter). And it's free. I've got piles of the stuff collected over multiple PCS moves.

I use it for riding, snowboarding and general cold weather mischief.

In combination with some kind of windblock (ie, rainsuit), you should be inexpensively warm.

Arctex makes long john top and bottoms that are my 2nd choice. A bit expensive but warm.

I have been meaning to get out the poly pro's but I always forget, right now I wear sweat pants under my cammies but I will have to try them tomorrow.

Face Warmth:

Your helmet is already well insulated as long as the vents and face shield seal up good-n-tight. So I think you can drop the baclava.

I use the Aerostitch "wind triangle". It is a thick windproof material lined with fleece that I fasten directly below my ears and nose. I tuck it into my jacket, then put on my helmet. The material is thick enough that it seals up the bottom of my helmet.

Thus, just the tip of my nose is exposed (within my helmet), because I also use the "Respro foggy breathguard".

I ride at highway (+) speeds down into the single and sometimes negative temps. Aerostitch has everything you need.

d_2727.jpg

Face Warmth:

Your helmet is already well insulated as long as the vents and face shield seal up good-n-tight. So I think you can drop the baclava.

I use the Aerostitch "wind triangle". It is a thick windproof material lined with fleece that I fasten directly below my ears and nose. I tuck it into my jacket, then put on my helmet. The material is thick enough that it seals up the bottom of my helmet.

Thus, just the tip of my nose is exposed (within my helmet), because I also use the "Respro foggy breathguard".

I ride at highway (+) speeds down into the single and sometimes negative temps. Aerostitch has everything you need.

d_2727.jpg

The only issue with that is with helmets that do not have the breath guard in them the wind will still come in through the space between your mouth and the helmet. So if I were to wear that my nose would freeze as well as all the cold air blowing into my eyes

• Member Contributer

Another consideration would be to invest in a one piece suit. An aerostich or Fieldsheer Highland (Other brand as well)

This will allow you to wear your normal work attire without the additional layers, so no changing at work.

+ zip out liner for use on warm/cool/cold days

++ waterproof/resistant

+++ protective armor

Today the temp got down to 33 degrees. I was fairly comfortable with:

Respro Foggy

Quiet Rider (blocks most of the air from below)

thin Turtleneck (t-shirt thin)

Jacket with Rain Liner (no quilted liner)...rain liner blocks the wind and retains body heat pretty well)

Overpants with quilted liner installed

Winter Gloves (Firstgear)

Normal boots

Heated Grips

All of this over my Khaki pants and button down long sleeve shirt.

Coldest part was my hands(finger tips), with the way I have my helmet configured my shield fogs up at stops, no way around that without some kind of venting. I could have ridden much longer than the 20 minute commut very comfortably.

The only issue with that is with helmets that do not have the breath guard in them the wind will still come in through the space between your mouth and the helmet. So if I were to wear that my nose would freeze as well as all the cold air blowing into my eyes

You are talking about riding in 35 degree temps... you are going to need some form of anti-fogging device.

I rode this morning at 24 degrees indicated at highway (+) speeds and only my nostrils were exposed to the air. You need to remember that the Respro covers and seals over the top of your nose with neoprene.

• Member Contributer

I find heated grips, vest, winter/goretex gloves and an Aerostich suit the ticket for my cold tours and high mountain passes anytime. One thing about grips vs heated gloves is that you can never forget your heated grips.

• Member Contributer

Yep,

You are right it has been a little nippy in the mornings. I commend you for having the nads to ride in the colder temps but man, watch for deer. I was riding up to a few weeks ago when a large doe had been hit and was in my path. One swerve right and I missed it by centimeters. Put the fear right through me. Parked the bike that evening when I got home and will not ride before dawn. Since then, I have seen one-two new does daily. My commute to work is 40 miles and I see it as adding more dangers than I care for. Be careful. Thanks, JD

Yep,

You are right it has been a little nippy in the mornings. I commend you for having the nads to ride in the colder temps but man, watch for deer. I was riding up to a few weeks ago when a large doe had been hit and was in my path. One swerve right and I missed it by centimeters. Put the fear right through me. Parked the bike that evening when I got home and will not ride before dawn. Since then, I have seen one-two new does daily. My commute to work is 40 miles and I see it as adding more dangers than I care for. Be careful. Thanks, JD

Yea I get what you are saying, so far this year I have not seen a single deer, I am not sure if it is because Marines look for any reason to shoot things so they are all dead here, or that my route is not a common place for them. With the VFR being my only mode of transportation it really have no way around riding to work. Now dont get me wrong I am not complaining I love riding the bike everyday, I told my wife (who hates motorcycles) that I will get another car when I have the 07 CBR Repsol 08 Fischer MRX650 and the BMW k1200r sitting in my dog house.

• Member Contributer
Yep,

Yea I get what you are saying, so far this year I have not seen a single deer, I am not sure if it is because Marines look for any reason to shoot things so they are all dead here, or that my route is not a common place for them. With the VFR being my only mode of transportation it really have no way around riding to work. Now dont get me wrong I am not complaining I love riding the bike everyday, I told my wife (who hates motorcycles) that I will get another car when I have the 07 CBR Repsol 08 Fischer MRX650 and the BMW k1200r sitting in my dog house.

After my reply, I paid extra attention this morning and counted 3 new deer "impact zones" (blood trails) while going north on Hwy 220. Coming home at 4:30 pm, I saw one in the south bound lane. I leave my house around 5:45am and I guess they are starting to stir at this point. Thanks for your service to our country!!! JD :biggrin:

I froze my nadds off last week end I started off at 44 degrees...Mesh with the windblocker and a long sleeve T shirt.. I MISS read the temp I thought it was 54!

I had a thermafleece top in my tail bag but after about 45 minutes I was already frozen so I just manned up and did the rest of the leg to the spot I was going.

I had a Descente Balacava on which is thin with light fleece lining my neck got cold but the head was toasty warm.

I will definatly get some heated gloves...and a vest..

ANyone try some Hunters heated liners? I know they use to make them to go under gloves...

• Member Contributer

Just got my TourMaster Synergy heated jacket ($117.00 to my door) and the heated pants ($100.00 to my door), complete with controls etal. Looks like high quality gear. It's only been down to 30ish to 50ish a couple of times for my commute, so I haven't needed this gear yet. As soon as it gets really cold, I'll give it a try and post a report.

I still need to get either heated grips or heated glove liners. I'm kind of leaning towards the heated glove liners, but I'd like to hear some advice from others. From what I've read, heated gloves don't seem to be the way to go (too bulky, uneven heat, annoying cords)?

Anybody have the ultimate solution for keeping your feet warm (while riding)? :fing02:

Here's what I wear

gallery_9137_2250_102139.jpg

Gear

JR Winter Jacket W/quilted liner

Tourmaster pants W/O liner

Set Up boots W/ heavy socks

Tourmaster winter gloves

Military neck gater(sp?)

Shark helmet (comes with anti fog visor. I've had it ice up slightly but never fog.)

I've ridden to work in in the above gear over jeans, long sleeve shirt and under shirt with the temp in the low teens and have not had any issues.

Heated grips are the best thing for winter riding. If you have winter gloves they heat up the whole glove. Even riding in the low teens I have mine n 75%.

Action

Archived