3rd Annual Fall Ride In The Catskills- The Official Report!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
Hey Pocono, do you have bigger versions of those pics? There's a couple that I'd like to have bigger for home...

Oh yeah, But you know me and my computer skills....or lack there of. :unsure:

woke up before the alarm and was already packed, so the first hurdle was overcome. Pien joined me for coffee on the portch and then I was off.

caskills041.jpg

No problems finding my way to Allentown, but I had to stop for this picture since Pien is bonafide Dutch.

caskills039.jpg

I was actually 90 minutes early to our waypoint (its a cop thing) so I parked here and actually took a good nap in the grass behind the yellow peril. I used the green outhouse in the backround and while doing so, I picked up a feather on the ground. I absent-mindedly stuck it between my plastic and windscreen, and it is still there! It never gave up, even at speeds approaching 300 miles per hour

caskills040.jpg

The boys showed up at exactly the stroke of noon, and we were off. Left, right, up, down, pretzle shaped, u-turn and more right, left. I was thinking "man, that RWB paint scheme is quite possibly faster than flat black". We noticed we had too much fun and were getting late, so we went somewhere near where the settlers are still lost on our way to Port Jervis. And then it happened. I'm going along listening to Lush in my speakers and I see it. It was 11 feet tall if it was an inch. Black as midnight, ugly. He came across the road, grabbed his package and said "uga-booga". I think he was drawn to the flat black because his eyes met the yellow peril's eyes and a challange was offered. After I pooped the green suit of justice, sasquatch had enough and ran up a vertical rock face, shaking his fist at me and waving his package. We were near here. The angle is because I am on the groung recovering.

caskills005.jpg

caskills002.jpg

We found Peto and his motorcycle equivalent of Kit from night rider. Off to meet Seb and a long ride to Stewarts. We are finally with Seb and he takes us the "fun" way to the motel. I say "fun" because at first I was having a great time. Then the night fell and I think Seb increased the pace exponetially quicker as it got darker. Now I am not the fastest fella around in the day, but I cannot see my hand in front of my face at night and my contact lens is 6 months old, so I was sure that I was going to die. I figured that when you die, you dont see white lights, you see a glowing orb of red, rapidly getting smaller. Somehow, buy shear happenstance, I infact survived the hell-ride, despite Seb's intent on killing me. We got to the resort and had beer and pizza.

caskills009.jpg

I behaved and was quiet. I think I was the first in bed. Speaking of bed, the Sarge knew his VFRs and put the Fifth Gens in a separate wing.

caskills008.jpg

caskills007.jpg

Sleep was good except Peto is so skinny, I couldnt tell if he was in bed or if the blanket had a lump in it. Great riding except the international deer incident of '08. (I will let someone else go into details) I was very happy that I wasnt needed to shoot the deer to put it out of it's misery, as the VFR took care of that. The deer wasnt on the ground for 5 mins, before the fireman took her home.

caskills018.jpg

caskills017.jpg

Great day of riding and eating. And jim crashed.

caskills019.jpg

caskills021.jpg

caskills022.jpg

caskills023-1.jpg

Back to the motel and I was an example of reserved gentlemanly behavior.

Then we were all so pooped from the brandy and cigars, it was off for home in each direction. Even though I wasnt the farthest away, I do think I got home last.

caskills010.jpg

caskills043.jpg

Great time. Good show. Great people. Aint no strangers from VFRD, just good people I aint met yet.

• Member Contributer

Great job, looks like everyone had a great time (and drank a lot of beer)! Good turnout, looks like one of shaynej's SoCal rides, only without the warm weather! :unsure:

Wow, you guys took some great pictures. Hey Sebastian are you planning another ride before it starts to snow up there? :fing02: If you are then give us a heads up because I need to get some cold weather riding gear! Tell the hunters in your area to get busy or we might have to do a combined hunting and riding trip :unsure:! Hey Timmy how long did it take you to get home?

The hunters ARE the problem!! The deer are usually out of sight most of the year, it's when the silly bushwackers go running and tromping around that they get scared off their normal paths and go for where the hunters aren't - near roads!!

• Member Contributer

here's a few more (Sorry Timmy - pic I took of Sasquatch was real blurry so I just left that one out) guinea hens, sasquatch, and turkeys, Oh My!! (not to mention a few suicidal rabbits and squirrels).. I do have a low-quality vid clip of running the baby-dragon that I'll try and get out (if I can figure out how to post it up).

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00136.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00149-c.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00155-c.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

Sweet pics, except I noticed a couple of BMWs snuck into the photo.

"These things happen" :unsure:

I can tell you that they weren't slowing anyone down! :fing02:

I can also tell you that after having so much fun this weekend, I have one SERIOUS case of the Mondays... :biggrin: :pissed: :comp13:

I got home at 1030, but I stopped at Pocono's to drool on the RC51, and at Burns' for coffee. And then I stopped in a coupla places that caught my eye.

Plus I was sore from holding my bike at 50 degrees leaned over when I got off without putting down the kickstand at the bank. (had nothing to do with the acute hangover). I would not let that bad boy hit the deck, so I used my super sasquatch strength and lifted her back up. I think I damaged my spleen, pulled my back and broke 3 ribs though.

so, these stops were helpful.

Plus THE SKINS HAD ALREADY WON!!!!!!!!

Plus my kids were already in bed, so I was in no rush.

I can also tell you that after having so much fun this weekend, I have one SERIOUS case of the Mondays... :unsure: :biggrin: :fing02:

I have a map and I'm looking for twisties as we speak. Hope Pien lets me out. :comp13:

• Member Contributer
I can also tell you that after having so much fun this weekend, I have one SERIOUS case of the Mondays... :unsure: :biggrin: :fing02:

feeling the same way today...

The pics being posted here are helping though...

• Member Contributer
Great time. Good show. Great people. Aint no strangers from VFRD, just good people I aint met yet.

Based on my limited experience I'd wholeheartedly agree. What a great gang.

And as if there weren't enough characters in this group the staff at the hotel made this a non stop, laugh-out-loud event. I fear poor Sarge is going to have his hands full with that place. I vote we stay at the same place next year just to see how he's making out. I hope he's got good fire insurance.

Seems like every time I attend a bike meet the riding always fades into the background. We go fast, we go slow, somebody crashes, blah blah blah. Although I did enjoy the heck out of following motorhead and Tom around some beautiful countryside, most of the memories are made while the bikes slumber.

Like Buki coming in on Friday night on his pristine pearl beauty. He was frozen solid. He jumps off the bike, shakes a couple of hands, opens his trunk and starts pouring shots of his grandmas homemade brandy. "Jis try little. You like you can have more." I figure my nose hair should start growing back in by the end of this week. No worries, Buki (Nino), I had an overabundance anyway.

The excursion with Seb and Timmy to the mancave was fun, too. Timmy rode Seb's race bike, but didn't race. When Seb demonstrated how to ride it he "accidentally" slipped the clutch and scared a family of owls from their tree. His neighbors must love him. Seb's garage is even better in person than pics. He's got a different project every 2 feet and rare motorcycle treasures piled high. We managed to catch a local Sheriff's attention but Timmy told him to get lost or he'd pop a cap in his ass. Way to take charge, Tim.

There are too many of these moments to write about here. Thanks for all the hard work, Seb. I sincerely thank everyone for making me feel like part of the gang. I am honored to have been included and am looking forward to Catskills 09.

Magoo

• Member Contributer

Just arrived home about 1 hour ago. Went to Wellsboro Pa Sunday with the old man and i rode home today. My dad wanted to make sure to thank the whole group for letting him ride with you guys and we both had a great time. The roads were awesome and Peto led a great ride. SEB, you mentioned having some rides next year to get some additional leaders and sweeps familar with the routes. Let me know, I'm there.

Randy

• Member Contributer

This is torture to read about. Work had me pinned down, but I'm already letting the powers that be know that next year in early October I have somewhere to be. Looks like a great time was had by all. Glad to see all the northeast guys doing the rest of us yankees proud riding in the 40 degree temps. All that I can say is that I am very jeaulous. Keep The Rubber Side Down.

Just arrived home about 1 hour ago. Went to Wellsboro Pa Sunday with the old man and i rode home today. My dad wanted to make sure to thank the whole group for letting him ride with you guys and we both had a great time. The roads were awesome and Peto led a great ride. SEB, you mentioned having some rides next year to get some additional leaders and sweeps familar with the routes. Let me know, I'm there.

Randy

Very glad you enjoyed it Randy, I will definitely keep you in the loop for more rides!

This is torture to read about. Work had me pinned down, but I'm already letting the powers that be know that next year in early October I have somewhere to be. Looks like a great time was had by all. Glad to see all the northeast guys doing the rest of us yankees proud riding in the 40 degree temps. All that I can say is that I am very jeaulous. Keep The Rubber Side Down.

If all works out, we'll try and make it even bigger & better next year. The cold was just what I needed to ease myself into winter commuting... on a more positive note, my Racetech gold valves were waiting in my mailbox when I checked it on Sunday, next year is looking better & better! :fing02:

Looks like a realy good meet guys. Wish the Revival dates hadn't conflicted as I would like to have made it up that way. I'll try to make it next year.

Kevin

Well, I think you might just cinch the "farthest traveled" award if you make it! Bring your layers though, most of our riding was below 50 degrees! :fing02:

Great pics.

I was drooling over the bikes, then saw that NY pizza and lost it.

Someone please Fed-ex me one out asap.

Ha !

Ex-Binghamton-ian,

Craig

Craig, how about you ride yourself out here and have one with me? :fing02: :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I would like to second what everyone else had said about how great the weekend was. As expected, the greatest bunch of guys and ladies really made the trip for me. I should know better by now, but I can't help but be amazed at how this sport or this site or whatever seems to draw some of the best people to it.

My only complaint is the freakin' cold of the mountains. There was almost 30 degree difference between the mountains and my homeland (Brooklyn).

Any way, we've ridden some great roads and seen some wonderful sights during the day and enjoyed some great company at night.

Sarge was reckless enough to bring a canister of gas and an open invitation to build a fire for a group of bikers who were drinking beer and fooling around. I don't know if I woulda been so generous in his place, seeing the contingent :goofy:

Thanks for all the laughs and the good times :warranty: and coodos to Seb for bringing it all together :blink:

Can't wait to see everyone again.

P.S.

It is times like these when you realize how small things can make or break a ride. I am talking about a bacalava, which I woulda' given almost anything for during my midnight ride back home. Needless to say, I'm shopping for one right now :rolleyes:

Archived