"and Another One Bites The Dust"

Guest sigsauer33

Guest sigsauer33

Ok I will post pictures once i get the chance.

Two days before moving to NC I was making a right turn and the bike slid out from under me! Thank god I always wear full protection. The road ripped thru my jacket arm, and my riding pants. Skuffed up my boots a little but other than that for gear all is well. As for me, got some road rash on the arm and the leg from where the gear burned-out. Now for the bike. I am looking for cheap replacement part if anyof you got them hanging around, by no means do they have to be in perfect condition becuse mine are horrible.

right faring is all messed up

I guess it is called the crak case cover

foot brake is grinded down a bit

and am looking t get my hands on some shorty pazzo levers so if you know a cheap place to get them let me know.

For riding gear

looking for all black jacket, I usually wear size large, would like it to have a good amoun of padding

Riding pants all black, it can get really hot here so please no cold weather gear. I am around 5 foot 7 and like to wear a waist size of 38 to give room to tuck in sweat shirts.

I know I keep saying cheap but I am a Marine and the goverment is horrible with pay!

thanks for all your help in advance!

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear you went down, it happens to everyone.

I would recommend you get some leather replacement gear to avoid the road rash in the future. I crashed once in mesh and textile and learned my lesson.

It sounds like you are on a tight budget and not overly concerned with cosmetics so:

Unless the case cover is worn through, just color it in with a black permanent marker. I would also leave the brake pedal as is, just bend it back straight. Those things are expensive to be of so little use. Try some touchup paint on the fairings. Mine are all rashed up pretty bad, but with touchup paint that I brushed on, from a distance, it looks OK.

I would recommend you get some leather replacement gear to avoid the road rash in the future. I crashed once in mesh and textile and learned my lesson.

It sounds like you are on a tight budget and not overly concerned with cosmetics so:

Unless the case cover is worn through, just color it in with a black permanent marker. I would also leave the brake pedal as is, just bend it back straight. Those things are expensive to be of so little use. Try some touchup paint on the fairings. Mine are all rashed up pretty bad, but with touchup paint that I brushed on, from a distance, it looks OK.

that is some awesome advise!!!! Thanks

I would recommend you get some leather replacement gear to avoid the road rash in the future. I crashed once in mesh and textile and learned my lesson. AMEN TO THAT!

Travis(rivcyko) had a post with color matches, and cites a Dupli-Color(available at WalMart) color that matches the crankcase cover.

Good luck healing up and getting back on the road!

ps - how's the fender? :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

D-oh you bastage. Slow the f$#k down. Life is too short to end so soon. (I'm ragging your ass, because I give a crap).

I've noticed the shades on the crank case covers vary a little. I had one that was more of a charcoal gray and then when the dealer dropped my bike the new one is more black. Depending on which color yours is, you can still buy some high heat gray or black spray paint from the auto parts store and touch it up. It will blend right in and you'll never notice unless you're looking for it. Just make sure to mask everything around it off!

I also bought some Dupli-Color HA 00975 touch up paint from Pep Boys and it is a pretty good match to the r157 Italian Red. They sell it in bottles a little bigger than finger nail polish and it comes with a brush just like finger nail polish. Paint in the scratches and you've fixed your bike for about $15. No one will even notice unless they are up close looking for it.

• Member Contributer
Copied & pasted from Trav's thread:
-----5th and 6th gen. side case cover touch-up------

Dupli-color auto spray

EDSFM 286

or upc: 026916122865

It's not a matte, but works well. (Especially, if you paint the whole thing). Here's my touch-up.

100_4624.jpg

100_4632.jpg

Dirt doesn't help the contrast, under a camera flash, either. LOL.

Copied & pasted from Trav's thread:
-----5th and 6th gen. side case cover touch-up------

Dupli-color auto sprayEDSFM 286

or upc: 026916122865

It's not a matte, but works well. (Especially, if you paint the whole thing). Here's my touch-up.

100_4624.jpg

100_4632.jpg

Dirt doesn't help the contrast, under a camera flash, either. LOL.

And here I thought all this time that when you scratch those 'finny' things up, all you had to do wuz grind em kleeeeeeeeen off... :fing02: :fing02: :fing02: :blink:

SEB,

Th fender did notget touched THANK GOD, It is funny, everyone that I run into that owns a VFR wants to know what site they can buy one from, but I am not sure on how you feel about me givingout your email.

Thans for all of the input. Do you know if tat cover gets hot at all? I do not want to get a paint that will bubble or mess up when it gets hot.

You know, those of you how have crashed before can probally agree with me that after the accident you analyze every aspect of it.

Here is what I have come up with. I was making a 90 degree right turn. As most of you may know I am a pretty hard rider. I was taking the turn will all focus to getting low and getting leaned off the bike.

During the turn I was in perfect position and as low as the bike would get. I did notice that there was a patch of dirt in the road. I know that I missed it with my front tire but my back may have hit it.

All that kept going thru my head was what Keith Code taught us which is never to brake for gravel just attempt to ride it out. Granted I do not think that the dirt was the only factor to me sliding.

I belive that I powered out of the turn a little to early, thus causing the front tire to loose some traction and then with that and the rear hiting the dirt it all went down hill from there. I remeber the front tire buckling then feeling the bike start to slide so i pushed myself away from the bike since the exhaust is right there on the right side and would hate to get stuck under the bike. The slide was like slow motion. After going back to the sight we found out that i slid for over 25 feet before htting grass.

So over all 50% user error 50% nature error. It was a good experience. If you learned from something it was not a failure! The bike is still rideable. Shortly after I got home from the crash I made it a point to go back out and ride so not to develope a fear for the bike. 48 hours later i was back on the bike for 6 hours from SC to NC and all is well.

where do you get color match touchup paint? is that a HONDA only thing?

• Member Contributer

where do you get color match touchup paint? is that a HONDA only thing?

I got a bottle from ColorRite. It doesn't match very well; of course it is not a catalyzed paint, it was brushed on instead of sprayed, and has no clearcoat, so I can't complain too much.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a good experience.

OTOH, if you can get up and ride away relatively unhurt, it's not so bad.

All that kept going thru my head was what Keith Code taught us which is never to brake for gravel just attempt to ride it out. Granted I do not think that the dirt was the only factor to me sliding. )))))))))

you can brake up to the point just before you hit the gravel(recommended), then let off the brakes and ride what ya got.

I've come into corners with golf ball sized rocks scattered across the entire corner , running at a pretty good clip.

Thats called Braked like a bitch before corner entry, then let up and ride what ya got

I got a right side lower fairing, scratched from a static drop but not broken, fits 2006...pearl white...perfect workable piece to have redone in a body shop....100.00 for it shipped....let me know.

• Member Contributer
All that kept going thru my head was what Keith Code taught us which is never to brake for gravel just attempt to ride it out. Granted I do not think that the dirt was the only factor to me sliding.

I belive that I powered out of the turn a little to early, thus causing the front tire to loose some traction and then with that and the rear hiting the dirt it all went down hill from there. I remeber the front tire buckling then feeling the bike start to slide so i pushed myself away from the bike since the exhaust is right there on the right side and would hate to get stuck under the bike. The slide was like slow motion. After going back to the sight we found out that i slid for over 25 feet before htting grass.

Glad to hear you are up and about. On the slide, I don't believe Code teaches that you can lose the front under power. If anything, weight is transferred from the front to the rear. Now, you may have hit gravel causing the front to lose traction, but my bet is you spun the rear. Of course, this is the internet and YMMV. :idea3:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Two days before moving to NC I was making a right turn and the bike slid out from under me! Thank god I always wear full protection. The road ripped thru my jacket arm, and my riding pants. Skuffed up my boots a little but other than that for gear all is well. As for me, got some road rash on the arm and the leg from where the gear burned-out. Now for the bike. I am looking for cheap replacement part if anyof you got them hanging around, by no means do they have to be in perfect condition becuse mine are horrible.

and am looking t get my hands on some shorty pazzo levers so if you know a cheap place to get them let me know.

For riding gear

looking for all black jacket, I usually wear size large, would like it to have a good amoun of padding

Riding pants all black, it can get really hot here so please no cold weather gear. I am around 5 foot 7 and like to wear a waist size of 38 to give room to tuck in sweat shirts.

I know I keep saying cheap but I am a Marine and the goverment is horrible with pay!

Sig!!!!!

I was checking your post to check out a post on the little guy. I have been traveling a bit so I guess that is why I missed you post. Sorry to read you went down.

I hope you don't think I am a bad person for not sending along a comment. Reading the title scared me to death. I am glad you escaped without much damage to

your body. A bike can always get fixed. As you know my bike drop was a lot less dramatic. I guess you are hurting a tid bit but for a Marine a little rash is nothing.

Glad you are ok, my friend.

Wrestler

• Member Contributer

Hate to hear about another "lay-down", but glad you're OK.......fresh out of gear, or I would be donating....hope all goes well................. :fing02:

For riding gear

Hey sigsauer33 sorry to hear about that... if your needing a leather jacket I have a couple of them. If your interested send me a PM.

Good luck with the fairing.... what are they 350 dollars brand new.. :fing02:

You know, those of you how have crashed before can probally agree with me that after the accident you analyze every aspect of it.

Here is what I have come up with. I was making a 90 degree right turn. As most of you may know I am a pretty hard rider. I was taking the turn will all focus to getting low and getting leaned off the bike.

During the turn I was in perfect position and as low as the bike would get. I did notice that there was a patch of dirt in the road. I know that I missed it with my front tire but my back may have hit it.

So over all 50% user error 50% nature error. It was a good experience. If you learned from something it was not a failure! The bike is still rideable. Shortly after I got home from the crash I made it a point to go back out and ride so not to develope a fear for the bike. 48 hours later i was back on the bike for 6 hours from SC to NC and all is well.

Glad to hear you're okay. But.......if you don't have it on video for the world to critique, it didn't happen. Probably more likely something like the kids at the middle school jumped you for your lunch money.

Archived