No More Condom Mirrors

Guest Jakes98

Guest Jakes98

Hi, This is my first post. Been reading up on things on this site for a while, was turned on to it from a friend of mine with a VFR. I just went though all 12 pages of paint and body forums and couldn't find much help in the way of mirrors. I have a 98 Viffer with those dang condom rubber things on the mirrors. Both the stock ones were messed up and I bought the Emgo foe-carbon ones. but the rubber is even worse on those, its not long enough and looks like crap. I was going to just live with them but I cracked the glass on one with my head while washing the bike after a ride. Actually it was the day all the fires started here in CA. It was a crazy day. I live in Redding and was going with some friends over to Weaverville for breakfast about 40miles one way. Anyway after all the rain and lightning and hail the bike needed a bath and the top of my head wanted to get to know bottom of the mirror real bad I guess. No big deal just a cracked mirror. But now is my chance to find something without the rubber.

Does anyone make an aftermarket mirror that is like the 2000-01 model's or do I have to go and just kick down and buy the OEM ones? Is there a reason that Emgo doesn't make them or they just being punks about it? They make the 98-99 ones and don't want to re-tool is that it, or is there some copyright/patent thing going on?

Thanks so much for your help.

Isn't the Y2k mirror shared by other Honda sportbikes of the same model years (CBR600 or VTR1000?)

I thought Emgo does make them for the other Honda bikes and maybe those could possibly bolt right in.

I still can't figure out why many of you guys have a problem with the Condom mirrors. As long as they are installed and adjusted properly and you don't goof around with them so much, they should stay in place OK. Mines been trouble-free since 1995! IMO, the more aerodynamic look of the "condom" mirrors look better on the bikes than the stick-like newer mounts....but that's just my opinion. everyone's free to go ahed and go "condomless" at their own risk! :fing02:

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Simple, just go buy a pair of Y2K (2000) mirrors they bolt right on and look so much better.

+1+1+1+1+1+1

:fing02: +1.gif+1.gif+1.gif

www.ronayers.com

www.servicehonda.com

www.bikebandit.com

ect...

See if its not too late to get a set of the Darth bling mirrors??

:fing02:

These mirrors rock I recommend them as well. And I think he still has a few.

I prefer the safety of condoms on my 97. Oh, and I, like Beck like the look. Personal preference but sounds like there are a few options out there if you want to change or are forced to change. You may consider putting some soft padding on the bottom of the new ones.

I know that 1994-2001 VFRs all have the same bolt pattern so you can interchange mirrors. You may be able it interchange from years earlier than that, but I dont know for sure. And you could use CBR F2-F3 mirrors.The only diffrence is that, while they look identical from a distance, the VFR mirrors are a bit longer than the CBR's. It is much simpler to find aftermarket replacements for the CBR though if you want to replace both mirrors!

I know that 1994-2008 VFRs all have the same bolt pattern...

Not so. The fifth (1998-2001) and sixth (2002+) generation mirror mount patterns differ. You cannot interchange mirrors between these generations. Can't reliably speak to the earlier generations, but IIRC they did not interchange with the fifth.

Not so. The fifth (1998-2001) and sixth (2002+) generation mirror mount patterns differ. You cannot interchange mirrors between these generations. Can't reliably speak to the earlier generations, but IIRC they did not interchange with the fifth.

Correct. The bolt spacing for the 5th gen mirrors is 50mm and for the 6th gen it's 40mm.

• Member Contributer

I just replaced mine on my 99. Make sure you get the hardware that goes with them. The old bolts will fit but the new Y2K allen bolts and rubber gasket are a lot cleaner install.

med_gallery_2144_2760_232029.jpg

I prefer the safety of condoms on my 97. Oh, and I, like Beck like the look. Personal preference but sounds like there are a few options out there if you want to change or are forced to change. You may consider putting some soft padding on the bottom of the new ones.

Yeah thanks, I think I can just cut a hole out of my mattress topper and hot glue it the bottom of the mirrors. That would look really cool! And it would add a little more girth to the end. :fing02:

Isn't the Y2k mirror shared by other Honda sportbikes of the same model years (CBR600 or VTR1000?)

I thought Emgo does make them for the other Honda bikes and maybe those could possibly bolt right in.

I still can't figure out why many of you guys have a problem with the Condom mirrors. As long as they are installed and adjusted properly and you don't goof around with them so much, they should stay in place OK. Mines been trouble-free since 1995! IMO, the more aerodynamic look of the "condom" mirrors look better on the bikes than the stick-like newer mounts....but that's just my opinion. everyone's free to go ahed and go "condomless" at their own risk! :fing02:

Beck

95 VFR

I tried the Emgo ones for the CBR somethingrather. they are pretty close the the bolt hole patter is narrower. Thanks Honda :pissed:

I just replaced mine on my 99. Make sure you get the hardware that goes with them. The old bolts will fit but the new Y2K allen bolts and rubber gasket are a lot cleaner install.

med_gallery_2144_2760_232029.jpg

You have confirmed my fear, It looks like I'll be forced to just bend over and pay "the man" for the good mirrors, thanks for the tip on the hardware, It will save some time to order the hardware with them than to have to make a special run to Ace for some trinkets later when I just want to put them on.

• Member Contributer

Emgo has a replacement Y2K style for about $28 each. I prefer actual Honda parts. They are built better in my oppinion. Also taking off the condom and putting on the Y2k Honda mirrors in their place was one of the more gratifiying add ons I've purchased for my daily commute and cop spotting. Sorry, but they are a better designed mirror which stands and delivers a better angle of view. Plus I got tired of trying to keep the cuffs of the rubber boots attached properly. Next would be extenders. Looks wise, I'll let everyone decide for themselves as neither design is perfect.

Sorry you are right it is only 94-01 that are interchangable.

• Member Contributer
Y2K mirrors with Lobster extenders. Does not get any better.

gallery_11554_3576_52414.jpg

I had extenders on my condom mirrors but find the Y2K mirrors are almost as good without the extenders but will probably extend sometime soon. My old condom extenders won't work without a great deal of hassle.

Emgo has a replacement Y2K style for about $28 each. I prefer actual Honda parts. They are built better in my oppinion. Also taking off the condom and putting on the Y2k Honda mirrors in their place was one of the more gratifiying add ons I've purchased for my daily commute and cop spotting. Sorry, but they are a better designed mirror which stands and delivers a better angle of view. Plus I got tired of trying to keep the cuffs of the rubber boots attached properly. Next would be extenders. Looks wise, I'll let everyone decide for themselves as neither design is perfect.

Hey Capt.

Are you sure Emgo makes a set. I was just on there site and couldn't find them. Only could find the ones like I already have. All protected in a rubber sheath. And a bad fitting one at that.

• 4 weeks later...

Much like the real thing, when you no longer need to use the condoms, life gets better.

IG

See if its not too late to get a set of the Darth bling mirrors??

:biggrin:

These mirrors rock I recommend them as well. And I think he still has a few.

Archived