Race Tech Oil And Springs Recommendations......hurry!

Guest heavymental

Guest heavymental

I made a last minute decision to drop my forks off tomorrow at Racetech to get Gold Valve Compression and Rebound valves installed on my 2006. my bike is also getting a Elka shock installed. my question is what weight racetech OIL and what SPRINGS to go along with the valving. I'm 220lbs and ride very aggressive at times, but dont want it harsh in the front. There seems be alot of debate over spring rates and i dont wanna make a bad decision. THANKS

• Member Contributer

+1 to do as racetech says; they are experts afterall.

For reference, I am about 200lb geared up in my leathers and run .95s with gold valves and US1 (2.5-5wt) oil

• Member Contributer

Racetech told me that the VFR front forks don't benefit from their gold rebound valves, so I didn't get them when I had my forks serviced recently. I did go with the gold compression valves though, and I like how the front soaks up small bumps a lot better now. But I think their recommendations for spring rate are way over agressive. I'm a lot lighter than you (165 lbs) and they wanted me to go with .95 springs, but I ended up with .85 springs which is just a little stiffer than stock. And even with .85 springs the front is pretty stiff for my riding style, and now I have tons more preload adjustment to make it even stiffer. So in my opinion, whatever they recommend just be prepared for the front to be pretty dang stiff. Also, Baileyrock has said before about the importance of front/rear suspension balance, so for instance, if you increase the front spring rate by 15%, then make sure you also go with a rear spring that is approx 15% stiffer than stock.

I dont want to nit-pick because I am drinking sangria, But preload does not stiffen the front end. It just uses up the intial travel.

That is all.

If I had it to do over, and I will eventually, I would go w/ the .90 springs. I got the .95's and they are too stiff for my 220lbs. If you want it real stiff then go w/ the .95's. Either way will be a big improvement over the .74 OEM springs. As for the oil get their reccomendation.

Don't worry about it, your paying RaceTech to do that work for you and they know what their doing. Your only involvement should be writing the check after you tell them how much you weigh and the type of riding you do! :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

In my "humble opinion"......I think companies like RaceTech, etc. lean toward "Track-Stiff" in their set-ups. Mechdziner714's post above echos my thinking. A "tick" below their recommendations might be more overall "street-friendly". This opinion doesn't represent BR's or other members bikes that are primarily "close to track flogged" most of the time.

A lot of members that primarily ride paces that are more the "normal pace" for most of us, then "occassionally flogged" might be better served with a tick softer suspension day in and day out............. :rolleyes:

In my "humble opinion"......I think companies like RaceTech, etc. lean toward "Track-Stiff" in their set-ups.

I agree completely, Race Tech set ups are all too stiff IMO and you need to tell them you want on the Soft end of their set-up or you'll have a track ready Stiff suspension. If they recommend a .95 I would ask for a .90 and the valving to go with it. :goofy:

Fork oil being the least important factor here IMO, correct spring and valving are your biggest concerns because most owners can't/won't mess with these, but can change oil in needed. :rolleyes:

Timely thread...

I have been perusing other fork spring posts, and getting ready to pull the trigger on some Sonic Springs for my 2000 5th gen. I weigh 155 nekkid :blush:

When I did my '95 a few yrs ago, I went with Race-tech's suggested .90 springs, and while it was better than the too-soft stockers, it went a bit too far.

This time around I want the .85's, as I want to split between touring ease AND handling well when I crank it up. I mean, no sense in having the ride as my sportier bike. I want to keep the different-tool-for-different-job utility of the VFR.

So, I found a post on Sonic Springs and they WAY undercut RaceTech's prices. Even have a spring rate calculator for your weight and various riding styles. For my info it comes up with .80 for touring, .85 for normal, and .90 for aggressive street riding.

Problem is, when I go to order they do not list anything softer than a .90! I emailed them though and by all accounts they are responsive, so maybe I can get them to find the correct springs for me and take care of this with plenty of time for my late-July trip.

Don't know if anyone has been on the Race Tech site lately but they have come out with a new generation compression valve (G2-R) for the VFR. It's $10 more than the original Gold Compression valve. They've also come out with an updated rebound valve but recommend it for racing only. The original Gold compression and rebound valves are still availble from them.

FWIW, I did a spring rate check on Sonic, Race Tech, and Traxxion's sites. Race Tech and Traxxion both recommended 1.1's for my weight and riding style while Sonic recommended 1.2's.

Don't know if anyone has been on the Race Tech site lately but they have come out with a new generation compression valve (G2-R) for the VFR. It's $10 more than the original Gold Compression valve. They've also come out with an updated rebound valve but recommend it for racing only. The original Gold compression and rebound valves are still availble from them.

FWIW, I did a spring rate check on Sonic, Race Tech, and Traxxion's sites. Race Tech and Traxxion both recommended 1.1's for my weight and riding style while Sonic recommended 1.2's.

man, i dropped my forks off already and told them .95's with both gold valves and 5wt. I sure hope i did'nt go too light on the spring rate :fing02:

man, i dropped my forks off already and told them .95's with both gold valves and 5wt. I sure hope i did'nt go too light on the spring rate :fing02:

No worries, I wouldn't run 1.0 unless I was over 250 lbs or better!

thanks to all for the help

250 lbs or better - what a tactful way to put it BR. Because I am ever so slightly "better" than 250 lbs.

250 lbs or better - what a tactful way to put it BR. Because I am ever so slightly "better" than 250 lbs.

:fing02: We have had guys run 1.0's that weighted around 250 and still thought they were stiff, but if it's valved correctly it should be ok. :pissed:

So, for everyone doing these changes up front what are you doing out back?

After having the forks re-valved/re-sprung and rebuilt(.95 kg springs)Aftershocks $350, I installed a Ohlins from a CBR F3(eBay $300) needing only a spacer on the top mount point to make it work on the Vtec. Bought a 19kg rear spring (Ohlins $96)to keep the bikes balance in relation to the front and ride the crap out of it! :unsure:

So for less then $750 TOTAL I have a very nice suspension on my VFR that's matched to my weight and the rear if fully adjustable. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I got full Racetech set-up 2 months ago and went with Racetech-website values. .95 springs (210lbs) do seem a bit stiff, but only on BIG potholes, where it's a thud rather than bounce. Definitely stiffer than stock, but isn't that the idea? Elka rear also as recommended by Elka. (3-way) So far, I have not ridden long enough or hard enough to mess with settings, but it's so much better than stock.

I got full Racetech set-up 2 months ago and went with Racetech-website values. .95 springs (210lbs) do seem a bit stiff, but only on BIG potholes.

That sounds more like to much high speed dampening then spring. :wheel:

H/S dampening is what controls the sharp/big hit feel, low speed covers ride and small movements. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Thanks! Now, how do I adjust HS dampening in front. My Elka manual is great for the rear, but frontwise I have only top set-screw and outer bolt. If I understand correctly, set-screw is for preload, but outer bolt is not adjustable. I'll try two clicks softer.

Archived