Race Tech Oil And Springs Recommendations......hurry!

Guest heavymental

• Member Contributer
Thanks! Now, how do I adjust HS dampening in front. My Elka manual is great for the rear, but frontwise I have only top set-screw and outer bolt. If I understand correctly, set-screw is for preload, but outer bolt is not adjustable. I'll try two clicks softer.

The VFR forks do not have any damping adjustments available, only preload. Any adjustments have to be made by the valving, shim stack, or oil.

You could increase the size of the air gap (remove some oil) which should take some of the edge of the big bumps.

• Member Contributer

Thanks again. It's not so bad, I'll leave fork internals alone. The odd severe bump is not worth adjusting usual ride for.

• Member Contributer
I made a last minute decision to drop my forks off tomorrow at Racetech to get Gold Valve Compression and Rebound valves installed on my 2006. my bike is also getting a Elka shock installed. my question is what weight racetech OIL and what SPRINGS to go along with the valving. I'm 220lbs and ride very aggressive at times, but dont want it harsh in the front. There seems be alot of debate over spring rates and i dont wanna make a bad decision. THANKS

I see you're in Alhambra, and dropped your forks off at Racetech. Where is Racetech? I'm in Fullerton and have been pondering upgrading my suspension on my '99.

Thanks,

Steve

Speaking of Race Tech - why do they think so highly of their fork oil? $29.95/qt? Penske "suspension fluid" is about $15/qt and Amsoil's "suspension fluid" is only about $7.50/at.

• 1 month later...

I had posted this under a similar thread regarding Sonic Springs but it was under the BARGAIN FINDER forum. I thought it would be more useful here. So......

While reading the below, keep in mind I am 155 before gear, and wanted medium-aggressive setup for twisty road riding while retaining the touring capability (as I also have a sportier ride for hard riding and didn't need another).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE -

I ended up going with the .90 fork springs based on the Sonic Springs guy's suggestion. I installed with spacers as the instructions indicated and I mixed half Honda 5w with 10w to get a 7.5 fluid.

Holy Cow those forks were stiff. They were complete overkill, even with the preload adjusters backed ALL the way out. Just as I had thought in my gut, I shoulda went with the .85's that I wanted in the first place but got talked out of.

However, I had a trip planned for the weekend so I figured I would try to get it sorted at least enough for the weekend. I removed the spacers while the forks were on the bike this time, and saved a ton of time. I cut spacers 3/8" shorter, and when re-assembling I saw that I had just a 1/4" or so of built-in preload, instead of the 3/8-1/2 that the first set of spacers gave me.

I only turned the preload adjusters almost 1 full turn from full soft, just enough to engage them and get them off the stop. Took another ride and hit a bunch of speed bumps, etc. and... NICE...!! Now the forks were much firmer than stock, but did not overwhelm the rear quite so much. I commute on this bike too so I need to be able to handle less-than-ideal road surfaces. This definitely had me feeling the potholes much more but it was controlled hits. On the flip side the front end did not dive under braking much at all and generally felt more than adequate.

While I am not in the preload adjustment range as much as I would like (no room to back it off any) it is just enough that I may keep the springs in there. On the LONG wknd ride to VA and back (read many many curves) it performed remarkably! I can't think of any negative impressions the whole two days, and I was watching it closely. I intentionally hit some rough spots and could hardly feel any harshness at all. The only thing is that the spotlight is now on the rear, which is not sprung to match the front now.

I do wish I had gotten the .85's which would let me get into the middle of the adjustment range on the preload. They would prob better match the rear stock shock as well.

For now I am quite pleased though.

Archived