Custom Ear Plugs

landlover

• Member Contributer

Hi,

My right ear seems to not fit Howard Leigh Max foam ear plugs. Thinking about getting some custom earplugs made. Do any of you have custom earplugs and what is your opinion of them? If some are made do you have any tips on how to get a good pair made, meaning how long into the canal because there was an article that said they can be uncomfortable with a helmet on and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

I use the Howard Leight Max "Lite" ear plugs which are slightly smaller and softer than the regular ear plugs while still offering 30db of protection. As far as ear plugs go, they are the most comfortable I've used. A box of 200 pairs can be had for just 20 bucks.

• Member Contributer
Hi,

My right ear seems to not fit Howard Leigh Max foam ear plugs. Thinking about getting some custom earplugs made. Do any of you have custom earplugs and what is your opinion of them? If some are made do you have any tips on how to get a good pair made, meaning how long into the canal because there was an article that said they can be uncomfortable with a helmet on and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

I have to wear hearing protection on my job,so I have tried every type made,The custom made ones are the most comfortable and I never ride without them,they work great with a helmet.

Mike

• Member Contributer

I have a custom molded pair of ear plugs. The plastic fits perfectly, but the material is rather firm and it is uncomfortable to take my helmet off and on sometimes. Great noise reduction, but expensive considering the foam disposable ear plugs do the same job almost as well for just pennies on the dollar.

I was at the New York Cycle World Show and decide to have the ear protection molded to my ears.

They fit perfect, but the plastic material is MORE firm than I would like.

For what it's worth I use the soft foam ones on an "everyday" basis and the custom ones for long trips.

• Member Contributer

I had a custom set made by Now Hear This while at the Cycle World show a few years ago. This was the best $75 I ever spent (other than that one time in Boston's Combat Zone). They work great and have held up perfectly. They're all-day comfortable and they absolutley kill wind noise. :goofy:

I also have a funny ear canal on 1 side, and other plugs didn't fit well. These were injection molded into my ears and are mad from a soft silicon, probably similar to boobies. Mmmmm. Boobies! :unsure:

• Member Contributer

I've been using custom ear plugs now for about 10 years and I think they're great. Very easy to use. For maintenance I clean them once in a while with soap and water, let them air dry and then put on a light coat of Vaseline.

I had mine done at the bike show and wear them all the time with no problems. Mine were done without my helmet on, but I've heard that some people have the molds made while wearing their helmet. I guess that can affect the shape of the ear canal.

IIRC I think I paid about $150, expensive, but to me, they were worth it.

Here's a link to Custom Protect Ear. I have the dB Blocker (Convertible?) Vented style, which they recommended for motorcycle use. It's about 1/3 page down.

I had a custom set made by Now Hear This while at the Cycle World show a few years ago. This was the best $75 I ever spent (other than that one time in Boston's Combat Zone). They work great and have held up perfectly. They're all-day comfortable and they absolutley kill wind noise. :unsure:

:pissed:

Got myself two pairs of Now Hear This custom earplugs at the Cycle World show in Seatle last December. I absolutely love them. They're rated 29 DRR (not quite as good as some 33 DRR form plugs, but at 29 DBB they are more than adequate). They're super comfortable and take only a few seconds to put into your ear once you get the hang of it. I've worn them as long as 16 hours in a day and they never hurt my ears. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

There are two kinds of custom ear plugs, the ones you get through an audiologist and the kind you get at a bike show, a rally or something like that. I have both and I like the kind you get at a show or a rally best.

I've got a couple sets of custom plugs. I am also a provider for Big Ear Inc.

Looks like you are in Ohio. I'll be vending at the Vintage Days and AMA race at the end of July if you are there and want to get some made.

Ken

• Member Contributer

Trust me, I'm a scientist (and a motorcyclist and a professional drummer)

First, go to an ear doctor. You can find them anywhere. Tell them you want some musicians' ear plugs. They are made by Westone. The doctor will make a mold of your ear canal (it's actually pretty cool, and feels wild). They send those off, and you get some custom ear plugs that fit your ears perfectly.

They have removable attenuators, so you can select the level of hearing protection that you need. PLUS, they just turn the volume down; they block all frequencies equally, so everything sounds natural, just quieter.

Added bonus: You can purchase Etymotic Reaserch ER6 inserts, and have the SWEETEST set of headphones you have ever heard.

I have had my Westone earplugs for over 10 years. I made the mistake of washing them with alcohol once, don't do that, they get hard. Soap and water. They rule. End of story.

FWIW there are a few places that offer you to give customs a go yourself. Maybe worth looking into. How hard could it be? :fing02:

http://www.diyearplugsonline.com/

Those probably work to a degree, but nothing like having someone do it for you. DIY ones don't go in the ear canal deep enough for 30 db attinuation. You would probably be luck to get 15-20 db out of those.

First, go to an ear doctor. You can find them anywhere. Tell them you want some musicians' ear plugs. They are made by Westone. The doctor will make a mold of your ear canal (it's actually pretty cool, and feels wild). They send those off, and you get some custom ear plugs that fit your ears perfectly.

They have removable attenuators, so you can select the level of hearing protection that you need. PLUS, they just turn the volume down; they block all frequencies equally, so everything sounds natural, just quieter.

Added bonus: You can purchase Etymotic Reaserch ER6 inserts, and have the SWEETEST set of headphones you have ever heard.

I have had my Westone earplugs for over 10 years. I made the mistake of washing them with alcohol once, don't do that, they get hard. Soap and water. They rule. End of story.

Duce...how much those go for? This is exactly what I'm looking for, ear protection with integrated headphones that I could use w/ a bike to bike comms system...How much wind noise do the Westone kill? The foam plugs don't do such a great job, and ear protection is a big deal for me...already have a mild case of tinnitus from years of loud rock'n'roll (I'm a bass player) and loud machinery...

Cheers!

I've been a musician for years and just started riding a couple years ago. I never used to wear earplugs on stage but now at some gigs I can't live without them.

Same goes for riding. If I'm slabbing it more than 20 minutes I have to have earplugs in. I try to keep at least one pair in my riding jackets at all times, but if I've forgetten the earplugs I'll stop and buy a pair. Lower speed rides aren't as bad, but I still want the 'plugs in if I'm riding more than half an hour.

I've only used cheap earplugs so far but am considering getting fitted for better ones soon.

• Member Contributer

I wish to enjoy moozic non stop on every ride...

I went with custom molded ear plugs with tiny Sony digital

speakers... they cut 30db of wind noise and allow every note of the

music through even at low volumes... perfect...

EarPlugInstalled.jpg

RockinEarPlugs.JPG

Now Hear This

Marilyn Navia, M.S., FAAA

10265 NW 56 St.

Miami, FL 33178

Phone: 305-477-2333

http://www.plugup.com/earplugspeakers.php

I added a light weight Xact Sirius satellite receiver...

SiriusSatelliteRadioRC45..JPG

• Member Contributer
I wish to enjoy moozic non stop on every ride...

I went with custom molded ear plugs with tiny Sony digital

speakers... they cut 30db of wind noise and allow every note of the

music through even at low volumes... perfect...

Now Hear This

Marilyn Navia, M.S., FAAA

10265 NW 56 St.

Miami, FL 33178

Phone: 305-477-2333

http://www.plugup.com/earplugspeakers.php

Hey BLS, I've tried the ear bud thing, went thru about 5 different sets, all of them were uncomfortable after an hour of riding, and hard to keep in place.

With the custom ones how are they when the helmet comes off and on?

Right now I opted for the speakers that velcro into the helmet, very comfy but on longer rides the wind noise kills me, and with plugs in hard to hear the "moozic"

• Member Contributer

Hello:

I had ear plugs custom made at a motorcycle show a couple of years ago. I absolutely love 'em, and will not ride any distance without them.

They are very, very comfortable. (Although it did take me a bit of time to learn how to install them quickly.)

The product is known as "Ear Defenders." They were made by the W. K. Baker Co. They had a booth at the San Mateo bike show.

I can't find a web site for them. They are located in Santa Margarita, CA. Their phone number is:

(805) 438-5249. I know they show up at motorcycle shows and gun shows.

rctwentyfour

• Member Contributer
Hey BLS, I've tried the ear bud thing, went thru about 5 different sets, all of them were uncomfortable after an hour of riding, and hard to keep in place.

With the custom ones how are they when the helmet comes off and on?

Right now I opted for the speakers that velcro into the helmet, very comfy but on longer rides the wind noise kills me, and with plugs in hard to hear the "moozic"

I messed around with the ear bud things but they hurt my ears too...

They stay right in place when the skid lid comes on and off...

• Member Contributer

I wear plugs a lot at work. I also have trouble with the fit on my right ear compared to the left. I love the Howard Leight Laser Lite foams and sometimes it is just a matter of inserting correctly. Try using both hands and opening the ear canal with your left hand while inserting plug with the right hand. It really helps to get it in there!

If that doesn't work, I recommend custom molded plugs. I have three sets and the first were hard material, too uncomfortable for a helmet and kept falling out. The second and third set are softer and fit much better and have different levels of attenuation. I use one set at work and the other to sleep with. Comfortable.

I think I will spend the money to get a third set made from the same guy and get earphones molded in too.

I love riding with earplugs in as I can hear my music and the engine noise fine, but the wind is greatly reduced.

• Member Contributer

Duce...how much those go for? This is exactly what I'm looking for, ear protection with integrated headphones that I could use w/ a bike to bike comms system...How much wind noise do the Westone kill? The foam plugs don't do such a great job, and ear protection is a big deal for me...already have a mild case of tinnitus from years of loud rock'n'roll (I'm a bass player) and loud machinery...

Cheers!

Francois,

When I bought my custom earplugs, it cost me around $100, but that was over 10 years ago. I got the headphone inserts about 3 years ago and they were around $100. The earplugs come with different attenuators so you can block as little or as much noise as you want! When you have the headphones in there it blocks pretty much everything but the music.

-Duke

• Member Contributer

This may be just what I need. Tried some off the shelf [DePlug from DEGIL] ear protection mid ride just before some twisties. Somehow felt disconnected from the bike, guess I was using sound as a feedback and these earplugs worked too well. What really surprised me was glancing at the speedo mid corner and finding it reading higher than ever before in these twisties, after reaching home found the chicken strip was about 30% narrower. How's that for a cheap performance upgrade.

good to hear so many of you are musicians! (me too btw) :unsure:

I get 'Moldex' earplugs, I can't stand the annoying foam ones, they always seem to pop out of place and you get a funnel of sound, have to throw them away after a ride or two and you can feel uncomfortable. I would never spend money on getting costum-made ear plugs, I'm sure they have many advantages but I ride far too often and eventually they get tatty and need throwing.

as for wearing ear plugs on stage, well I'm too young for that yet :goofy: :unsure:

I would never spend money on getting costum-made ear plugs, I'm sure they have many advantages but I ride far too often and eventually they get tatty and need throwing.

Or just to be cleaned. :laugh:

i've used this kit. works really well. after a few seasons they need to be replaced though as the latex/material doesn't fit quite as snug.

FWIW there are a few places that offer you to give customs a go yourself. Maybe worth looking into. How hard could it be? :laugh:

http://www.diyearplugsonline.com/

Archived