Super Hot Weather Gear...suggestions Needed!

Tightwad

I commute day in, day out on my bike....come rain or shine or 103 degree Dallas humidity et al. I have a Leather Jacket that works well spring and fall, and a textile one with waterproof liner than does most of the winter just fine....but summers are killing me. I can take getting home sweaty, but getting to work sweaty doesn't fly. I work at a desk, so generally I am wearing long sleeve button up shirt and slacks or khakis. My overpants are also a bit warm, but haven't cause the issue the jacket does.

What do you guys use for good (preferably inexpensive) gear in the summer? The hotter the weather in your area, the more i want to hear from you!

THanks

• Member Contributer
I commute day in, day out on my bike....come rain or shine or 103 degree Dallas humidity et al. I have a Leather Jacket that works well spring and fall, and a textile one with waterproof liner than does most of the winter just fine....but summers are killing me. I can take getting home sweaty, but getting to work sweaty doesn't fly. I work at a desk, so generally I am wearing long sleeve button up shirt and slacks or khakis. My overpants are also a bit warm, but haven't cause the issue the jacket does.

What do you guys use for good (preferably inexpensive) gear in the summer? The hotter the weather in your area, the more i want to hear from you!

THanks

Hey Jason,

At some point you are going to come to the conclusion that there is no real solution to your problem but until then all I can suggest is the mesh or mesh/leather jackets that are available from several manufacturers. I have a Fieldsheer Mach I that I wear when it gets super hot and in fact prefer the perforated leather over it but I don't have to show up anywhere dressed to kill. Maybe carry the dress shirt in a tank bag or other carrier and put it on after you get to work. Here lately getting out of the air conditioned van I have worked up a pretty good sweat before I get inside some of my accounts.

The thing I don't like about the mesh stuff, aside from what I feel is a compromise in protection, is that they flow so much air that you get baked. When the mercury goes above 100 riding isn't a lot of fun, no matter what you wear.

I have seen water cooled apparel advertised but have no experience with any of it. Might be worth a look see. Good Luck! Thinking about that PB&J!

Ernie

There are a multitude of companies to choose from that offer mesh jackets. The Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket (about $135) is about the most popular choice which ventilates well and includes CE armor in the elbows, shoulders and a back protector, as well as a waterproof liner for the unexpected downpours. JR also makes the bargain basement Rio jacket for about $75. I recently switched to the Fieldsheer Congo Mesh jacket which has all the same as the JR Phoenix but is build a bit heavier and I feel would offer more protection in the event of a fall. Atlantacycle.com offers the Fieldsheer jacket for $103.95.

Dallas humidity

Just be real thankful you don't live in Houston smile.gif . Then you would have to put up with some serious humidity. I was born and raised in Fort Worth and often tell my wife that I'd like to move back there when I retire so I could get back to a dry climate.

Now, to answer your question, if you're in stop and go traffic in that kind of heat, there's just not a lot you can do and still keep your clothes dry (evaporative cooling vest will leave your clothes wet). I'm assuming of course that by textile you mean that you already use a mesh jacket such as a JR Phoenix. Not much else left that I know of. In 100+ degree heat in stop and go city traffic, I'd be concerned about heat stroke. It can sneak up on you.

• Member Contributer

I've done the suit and tie B.S. job before AND rode a bike in way worse stickier weather.

My solution....have a few sets of work clothes at work in locker, or office if you got one.

Wear the gear you want, freshen up and change clothes...good to go!!!

Only part that blows is you gotta ride the cage in once a week or so to change out clothes...or invite the wife for lunch...and when she pulls up throw a bunch of clothes in the car...problem solved.

It worked for me for a few years....

• Member Contributer

I have been looking for a nice Hot weather mesh jacket as well, after doing a bunch of internet research and some store test fits I finally chose a Rev'It Air.

Rev'It Air Mesh Jacket

This jacket appears to have the best manufactured quality of all that I looked at, granted you have to pay for that quality (and protection) but I hate to buy something solely on price point, you get what you pay for mostly and Rev'It's gear is all top notch.

Now I just need to find a matching set of hot weather pants and I'll be good.

I have a Fieldsheer Mesh Jacket and the Titanium Mesh pants, they vent pretty well. But in any type of humidity with traffic, you are going to sweat, there isn't anything you can do about that. I would go with what vfrurknee said and carry your dress clothes to work in a tank bag or pick up a Givi. If you do that, then you can wear shorts/t-shirt under some type of venting armor and you'll stay comfortable and still have a clean set of clothes to put on at work.

• Member Contributer

I have a Cortech GX Air mesh/leather jacket that I really like. I haven't crash tested it yet but it looks more substantial than most if not all of the mesh jackets I've seen.

I think its actually been discontinued but there is a version 2 that just came out.

Old

New

THanks

when I commuted I dressed not to sweat, which meant limited gear, i didnt have an issue with.

• Member Contributer

Waaaaaay down here in South Texas: Full mesh jacket and overpants and vented gloves. Also, don't stop moving if at all possible! :rolleyes: :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I don't really like the reading on the "protection meter", but I've given in to wearing a Joe Rocket Honda Performance mesh textile lately with my Olympia vented textile pants. If any mileage is done, I wear my ICON armor (back protector, leg armor, sometimes arm armor) under it plus the pads provided with the jacket / pants..........at least I stay cool........ :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I used to commute when I lived in Tampa.

Mesh doesn't seem to be any cooler than well ventilated leather and offers little protection. It is nice to be able to put a liner in them and ride in the rain though.

I wore under armor under my leathers or mesh, then kept clothes at my office and changed when I got there. I also had a fan in my office to help cool off and get rid of sweat when changing. I would throw my Givi trunk on once a week to change out my stock of clothes at the office.

Gotta agree with everyone else, if you have to stop moving at all, your going to sweat. I am from Louisiana (humidity is 100% today highs in the upper 90's), I wear a JR mesh/leather jacket and don't think I could ride without it, it doesn't give you the most "safe" feeling, but its better than nothing.

And as everyone else has said, dress clothes are not made for riding, use a tank bag etc. with clean clothes and some smell good stuff, its about the best you are going to do.

Thanks for the input...sounds like clothes at the office is the most common fix...not much accomodation for that thought.

Last thing i want to do is sacrifice safety so i don't wrinkle a shirt, second to last thing I want to do is show up to a meeting smelling of sweat and wet leather....

I will look into Fieldsheer gear, after a couple of recommendations in that direction.

• Member Contributer
I will look into Fieldsheer gear, after a couple of recommendations in that direction.

These guys seem to have a decent selection of the Fieldsheer stuff, not sure how their pricing compares though, maybe worht a look or a place to start.

Fieldsheer Gear

• Member Contributer

:rolleyes: Mesh gear.

I commute in the high desert of So. Cal to work, and temps go beyond 100 starting in June. I know there are those who are anti-mesh, and yes, mesh gear doesn't provide substantial abrasion protection, but I prefer to have some coverage opposed to none at all. I recently bought a FirstGear Torrent mesh jacket because I like 3/4 jackets (hard to come by in mesh). The jacket isn't what I was hoping for and rather surprised that it lack amenities found w/ other jackets (lame armor, sleeve snaps to adjust arm fit). I have a TourMaster Intake mesh jacket that has two seasons on it, and it is very versatile. As for pants, I have a set of AlpineStars that are mesh w/ light armor- they zip up like warmup pants. They are great in hot and mild weather.

I always keep a second pair of dress shoes at the office, so riding to work in boots isn't a hassle.

Plenty of heat and humidity in Georgia. Last week it was over 100 most of the week and I wore my Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket every day. Like others said, not as much protection as leather, but the black leather jacket I have is HOT with very little ventilation. Check out New Enough, they have a couple on close-out. One even with some leather patches on it.

Phoenix 4.0

Cortech

Oops, just noticed they only have XXXL left in the Cortech jacket.

• Member Contributer
I used to commute when I lived in Tampa.

Mesh doesn't seem to be any cooler than well ventilated leather and offers little protection. It is nice to be able to put a liner in them and ride in the rain though.

I wore under armor under my leathers or mesh, then kept clothes at my office and changed when I got there. I also had a fan in my office to help cool off and get rid of sweat when changing. I would throw my Givi trunk on once a week to change out my stock of clothes at the office.

I commute year round in Southern California, and it gets over 100 deg during August and September. I also just keep clothes at work and show up a few minutes early to get changed. However I'm probably not much help for summer riding gear because I wear leather year round. Sure it gets a little uncomfortable even with the perforated leather, but I like to ask people driving cars if they only wear their lap belt when it gets hot? We don't wear riding gear because it's fashionable or comfortable, we wear it for that ONE time.

I took a hiatus from wearing full leather to wearing jeans and a leather jacket, right up until I watched a friend go down wearing jeans and a mesh jacket. Now I'm back to wearing full leather again.

• Member Contributer
I have a Cortech GX Air mesh/leather jacket that I really like. I haven't crash tested it yet but it looks more substantial than most if not all of the mesh jackets I've seen.

I think its actually been discontinued but there is a version 2 that just came out.

Old

New

I tested mine a couple weeks ago. Held up so well, it's almost not noticeable. Still wearing it. :thumb:

I ride to work daily in AL heat and humidity and it flows air really well even at low speeds, 2 liners (one waterproof, one quilted) allow you to match it for every temp from below 0 to way up high (also tested). You'll still be slightly sweaty if you're in heavy traffic but on unbearably hot days, I take my uniform top off and ride with just a tshirt under the jacket just in case.

• Member Contributer

I use Olympia Motosport's Airglide II jacket and pants but even without the liner it is too hot for anything over low 80s. I just picked up a Teknic Supervent Mesh Jacket from newenough on closeout for $65 and although I've only worn it once it is WAY cooler than the Airglide. At any speed over about 30 the sleeves vent so well it seems like you don't have a jacket on. Portions of the chest feel the same way. It is cool enough that I can actually tell where the back protector is because that is the only really hot spot on the jacket. The protection difference is obvious but it is better than nothing in the arms and the back protector is probably better than the one in my Airglide. I figured for $65 if I didn't like it I'd sell it but now I'm considering buying another one as a spare. I don't think you could go wrong testing this jacket for the money...but it is a closeout so act fast.

Plus, I have a pair of BMW Venting Machine pants on the way (eBay steal!!).

• Member Contributer

Timmy, do they have a name for what is wrong with you? I've spent plenty of time on the internet and consider myself reasonably seasoned in things disturbing and wierd, but that one leaves me speechless.

Congratulations.

VFRD member (and sole yellow 6th gen. owner) theoxmole swears by his perforated leather jacket. Not sure of brand but I think it's a Joe Rocket.

I bought a FirstGear mesh jacket last summer that I like a lot. (Bought at The Iron Pony for $100.) I only use it for my 11-mile commute and running errands on the hottest days. More serious rides still rate my normal leather riding jacket.

• Member Contributer
How about this

jacket

That's interesting. Being the electronics guru that Tightwad is I'm sure he could rig up a couple exhaust fans to his leather jacket. :fing02:

Oh yeah....clothes at the office would be my suggestion. Check shirt materials too when your shopping as some don't wrinkle nearly as bad as others and also dry quicker. :goofy:

Archived