Pilot Road 2's As A Sport Tire Review!

Baileyrock

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suppose I was wrong to even compair my ride with yours and thanks again for reminding me and everyone else here that we are not worthy to be compaired to Bailyrock. :blush: LOL

The compairison I was trying to make is that I believe you and I have a similar STYLE of riding... and then admitted to being at least 10% slower... perhaps I should have stated 50% slower or 75% slower to be spared your wrath. :lurk:

:blink:

Didn't mean to step on your toes with my so called wrath Kev . :lurk:

I am just trying to do apples to apples Tire Wear comparo's.

I don't ride like someone who consistently only gets 1500 miles or 5000 miles from a rear. I'm talking about consistency, not speed. :mad:

I ride very consistently and even the same 400 mile loop over and over during the last 40,000 miles at a PACE between 65-85, no 100 mph and usually no brakes or much full throttle, just constant or accelerating corners.

Guys that ride with me here get almost the same life from a tire as I do no matter if their on a R6, CBR or GSXR. When one of these guys say I tried this or that tire and got whatever mileage I am very confident that I would get similar mileage as well as feedback about the tire.

Would I love to get 5k from a PP2CT, you bet! :fing02:

btw I think you would like the Road 2 rear and get better mileage from them. :mad:

It has nothing to do with your riding ability good or bad. Also you are correct in the fact that road surfaces make a difference in wear too. tongue.gif

• Member Contributer

LOL! Just messing with ya BR you know I got nothing but love for ya... you big lug! :blush:

As you describe your riding it is dead on my style. Not much over 80 not much under 60 I always say... brakes reserved for notifying those behind me that something tricky is coming up and for emergencies, thats my PACE.

I am not sure what they put in your highways down there in TN that makes it shine so much in the sunlight but we don't have that here. I will say TN roads are much cleaner and will latch onto a tire better than most of ours. Great for traction but hard on the rubber.

I may try the new Road2 next on the rear on your recommendation as now I'm 3k into the rear after another 400 mile day. Or, I may just continue to run the 2CTs and rub your nose in it that I can get 5K on em'. Ha!

• Member Contributer
[

I don't ride like someone who consistently only gets 1500 miles or 5000 miles from a rear. I'm talking about consistency, not speed. :blush:

I ride very consistently and even the same 400 mile loop over and over during the last 40,000 miles at a PACE between 65-85, no 100 mph and usually no brakes or much full throttle, just constant or accelerating corners.

It has nothing to do with your riding ability good or bad. Also you are correct in the fact that road surfaces make a difference in wear too. tongue.gif

and what is your average life of the brake pads? The front and the rear? if you changed them once already in the 60k:)

[

I don't ride like someone who consistently only gets 1500 miles or 5000 miles from a rear. I'm talking about consistency, not speed. :blush:

and what is your average life of the brake pads? The front and the rear? if you changed them once already in the 60k:)

I show new EBC HH's pads at 32k miles and I thought I just replaced them again, but didn't log it if I did!

:mad:

BJJB,

Glad your just messing with me as the last thing I want to do is berate a friend or even member, OK once in a while! :mad:

I'm exactly the same with the brakes, hardly ever use them but hit them to activate the brake light to warn riders behind that they might want to slow down for this one! :lurk:

• Member Contributer
I show new EBC HH's pads at 32k miles and I thought I just replaced them again, but didn't log it if I did!

:blush:

My rear were replaced at 40kkm/24kmi. the front ones are still half-full smile.gif

Yea, I ride more straights - 1/3 only were twisties in the Alps - and K12GT is a lot heavier than VFR. Also I noticed the engine braking became worse upon the latest software upgrade.

The PP2ct that was on before I fitted the PR2 had around 2800-3000 miles.......I i dont see more form the PR2 I'll go back to the original PP....2000-3000 miles is all I can ever get out of a rear of brand so after what Bailey statedof his experience with the PR2s I had to try it out..if hes getting almost double life out just imagine the savings I'll have!!!!!!!!! Honestly though I dont really know what wears out the tires worse ie: straitline blast or hard cornering...I know each one wears tires differently, just as you can tell if someone has a tendency to traillbrake hard before cornering..each style of riding leaves its fingerprint in the tire...I always thought rear tires wor first on any bike until recently a friend of mine bought a BMW LT and wore the front tire out in 3k!????? What was he doing, or is it the bike??? Anyway still cant say how many miles Ill get from the PR2 but I know it sticks good now!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

BJJB,

Glad your just messing with me as the last thing I want to do is berate a friend or even member, OK once in a while! :fing02:

I'm exactly the same with the brakes, hardly ever use them but hit them to activate the brake light to warn riders behind that they might want to slow down for this one! :fing02:

Where do you think I learned that "activate the brake like to warn riders thing?" From you man! :wub: I tell em all the exact same thing you told us at TMAC #2. "If you see me tap my brakes, there is a pretty good curve coming up... If you see me USE my brakes slow the hell down!" LOL

I'm gonna have to try some Road2s... I just logged another 350 mile day. I think I have a "problem?" :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Good tip on the Derby outfit. Cheapest I could find for the Road 2s and they made it to Colorado in just a few days. I think they shipped the same day I ordered them.

Thanks guys! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Dang... I hope Derby gives me a deal the next time I order from 'em for sending you all to them! :fing02:

• Member Contributer
LOL! Just messing with ya BR you know I got nothing but love for ya... you big lug! :wub:

As you describe your riding it is dead on my style. Not much over 80 not much under 60 I always say... brakes reserved for notifying those behind me that something tricky is coming up and for emergencies, thats my PACE.

I am not sure what they put in your highways down there in TN that makes it shine so much in the sunlight but we don't have that here. I will say TN roads are much cleaner and will latch onto a tire better than most of ours. Great for traction but hard on the rubber.

I may try the new Road2 next on the rear on your recommendation as now I'm 3k into the rear after another 400 mile day. Or, I may just continue to run the 2CTs and rub your nose in it that I can get 5K on em'. Ha!

The shiney stuff on Tenn. and N. Ga. roads is a mineral called "mica" found naturally in the rock and road building material in the area. It is a tiny flake (but can be large before ground up) that isn't really abrasive as used in the roads. I find the N. Bama and Mid-Tenn. roads to be less abrasive than the NC, Gap area roads. For example...Wayah road is a tire EATER, IMO.

Next time I need a new rear and front at the same time, it will be PR2s. If I don't get as good a mileage as BR, it will be someone else's fault... :laugh:

I would feel good to get 3K out of any kind of rear. I tend to ride without using the brakes also and no triple digit stuff either. I do hit it hard coming out of turns. I have nothing to do with poor tire wear..... :biggrin:

EDIT: I couldn't stand it anymore....just ordered a front and rear PR2 from Derby for the same price at PhatPat only shipping for two is less than three tires...duh. Now, I just need to ride some bikes and use up some tires. My new tire inventory is way too high. :unsure: :unsure:

Got my PR2CTs on the bike today and took it for a tire scrubbing ride around the neighborhood before the sun went down. First impressions:

1) Realize once again that tires are part of your suspension. The ride was much more compliant compared with my old Dunlop 208s, which aside from the bad front cupping, they were hard as a rocks from age.

2) Low speed handling was much more stable with no tendency of the bike falling in on slow u-turns.

3) Didn't go that fast yet, but the PR2CTs feel really stuck to the road. Just in the moderate speed turns and curves I was able to ride this afternoon, they already gave me much more confidence with the front end.

I don't think I'm ever going back to Dunlops again.

Can't wait for next weekend to try them out on the twisties up Skyline Hwy 35! :beer:

Funny thing about getting these PR2CTs this weekend, I noticed not to many shops in the bay area stock the correct 170 section for my 4th gen. The norm out there these days is 180 and wider. I got what seemed to be the only set left at a downtown SF MC tire and accessory shop for a good price. One shop in Fairfield was selling me sell me their only 170 section tire that have seen better days. The tire (Metzeler Sportec M3s), for some reason looked (rubber looks dry, oxidized, glazed) and felt (hard) old that it must have been harder than my old 208s. They must have left it out in the open too long that it aged quickly. Looking in the tire, I even saw signs of rainwater that must have pooled in it. I don't think they tried to sell me the old tire on purpose because the salesperson did not seem to be familiar with how new MC sport tires should look and feel, but you have to watch out for yourself when you buy the only tire they have your size, cause it could be the only tire that size left for a reason.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
They must have left it out in the open too long that it aged quickly. Looking in the tire, I even saw signs of rainwater that must have pooled in it. I don't think they tried to sell me the old tire on purpose because the salesperson did not seem to be familiar with how new MC sport tires should look and feel, but you have to watch out for yourself when you buy the only tire they have your size, cause it could be the only tire that size left for a reason.

a group of four digits on a tyre indicates week and year of its production. For example: 0408 = means week 4 of 2008. 4607 = week 46 of 2007. And so on.

"PR2CT( paid $600 mounted). She said they were much better than the PR2."

$600 BUCKS!?????? +1.gif Isnt that a little....HIGH?????

Yes, that's the hell of " a little high" smile.gif

But I had no choice - that was the price of my BMW dealer(including 10% discount). But the problem was to find them here - Michelin does not produce mototyres in their Moscow plant and the importers always made mistakes in market estimations, every year we face a deficit of tyres in the middle of the season.

A set costs Euro 355 in the Netherlands so with exhange rate and fee for fitting that comes close to $600 too...... :beer:

Petrol running towards Eur 1,60 a litre :goofy:

Will than make me ride a single kilomer less? Nope! tongue.gif

For Europeans THIS site has some OK prizes I think

• Member Contributer

RESULTS so far: Ordered a set of PR2's from Derby Cycles last Friday night. Arrived an hour ago....Tuesday....pretty quick delivery AND, they came in a corrugated BOX!! That's a first for an internet ordered tire for me... :beer:

On both tires, it says "made in Spain" for whatever that's worth. The front sure felt soft. Is the front a two compound tire? The front on a BT021 is not a two compound tire.

Is the UPC label on each tire supposed to align with the valve stem when mounting? It is on another brand of tire but heck if I can remember which one.

They'll get put to the Bent test on one of the two VFR's when both need to be changed at the same time...tightwad here... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

PR2 is a 2 compound tire.

Michelin does not mark a heavy spot on their tires, the bar code location is meaningless.

• Member Contributer

With only having 600 miles on a 05 VFR, I purchased a month ago used that had 1,046 miles when I bought it with the stock Dunlop sportmax two D204, would the upgrade to the Pilot Power (Front) & Pilot Road 2 (Rear) be a good idea? Or should I just keep running the Dunlop's. I ride slow and I'm not trying to keep up with anyone just want to have good solid tires that I can have some confidence in that will do it all when I need them.

• Member Contributer

I'm just an average rider. Chicken strips a mile wide, and never skipped out a wheel, except a few wet spots. I rode Roads for the first 30,000 km, and have PR2s now. Confidence inspiring, kind of a "Stiffer, but softer" feel. These are my tires from now on.

• Member Contributer
With only having 600 miles on a 05 VFR, I purchased a month ago used that had 1,046 miles when I bought it with the stock Dunlop sportmax two D204, would the upgrade to the Pilot Power (Front) & Pilot Road 2 (Rear) be a good idea? Or should I just keep running the Dunlop's. I ride slow and I'm not trying to keep up with anyone just want to have good solid tires that I can have some confidence in that will do it all when I need them.

You'll replace plenty of tires on your bike. Unless you have a problem with the stock tires I'd use 'em up.

You'll replace plenty of tires on your bike. Unless you have a problem with the stock tires I'd use 'em up.

%201.gif

The stock tire are fine if you don't push the bike at all, whenever you wear them out any new tire will be an improvemnt! :fing02:

I don't feel that I'm pushing it at all, I'm usually riding the speed limit for the most part.

So you're the guy! I knew there was truth to the legend...

Brian

Got my next set of tires ready to go, PP front & Road 2 rear ready to try after a full set of Road 2's which I liked!

Road2s003.jpg

I got 3500 miles from the rear and here's the front at 4240 miles and I've hit the wear bars on the sides, but not the center yet.

Road2s004.jpg

Now this Road 2 is worn, but you can see the profile difference between the PP & Road 2 fronts.

Road2s006.jpg

Went for a first twisty ride up to Alice's on my new PR2CTs and OH MY GOD!, what a difference!! My 4th gen was literally reborn with smoothest/neutral handling and transitions through sweepers and tight curves. I haven't felt this much confidence with my front and rear end ever! I don't remember the bike handling this great even when it was new. I hope the tires wear well and the handling stays good for a loooong time. No more Dunlops ("Dudlops"?) for me, ever(?)!

Bumped into and had a nice chat with "VFRPorrada" up at Alices on his cool looking Asphalt Gen 6. Hope to see more of you guys up there this summer, specially now that I have more reason to ride more often with the sweet handling the PR2CTs have given the old red horse! I noticed that there haven't been too many Viffer riders at Alice's in the past few years. sad.gif I also bumped into a couple of former Viffer riders that seem to want to come back to the fold.......if only Honda will come up with the next gen to freshen up the line once again.

I give the PR2CTs a solid 10 rating! :fing02: You can't go wrong with these Spanish made Frog tires! :comp13:

Beck

95 VFR

Archived