Pilot Road 2's As A Sport Tire Review!

Baileyrock

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
I just ordered two rears and a front and they should be arriving today. $430 shipped for the three tires

Hello from DerbyCycles.com,

ON--

Quantity: 2

Product: Michelin Pilot Road Two Tire $ 109.99 (each)

Options: 180/55 ZR-17-Rear-87-9687 35.00

Quantity: 1

Product: Michelin Pilot Road Two Tire $ 109.99 (each)

Options: 120/70 ZR-17-Front-87-9678 4.00

That's about $280 a set shipped, best deal so far, have a link to them?

I just came from their site....total cost per set delivered is $259.98 size 120x70 zr17/180x55zr17.

I thought STG was the lowest but these guys have them beat!!!

• Member Contributer
I hope the price comes more in line with other sport touring tires soon, as these tires begin to sell in bulk.

Tire prices will be going the same path as all Petro products,the time to buy tires would be yesterday.

Mike

How do you think the front PP2CT y rear PR2 would go at the track?

I personally think PP 2ct's are a waste of money, but I think the combo would do fine. :fing02:

Just ordered a 180 rear for $156 shipped from Durby! :fing02:

:fing02:

The difference between the PR2 2CT & PP 2CT is not just that the PP is a sport/track tire and the PR2 an ST tire. The way the two compounds are spread over the cross section is also very different. The PR2 has the hard compound in the about 1 1/2 inch wide middle section, so as soon as you lean the bike over you are riding on the softer compound. The PP 2CT only has the softer compound on the last 4/5" near the edge of the tire. With a PR2 rear I doubt you get to use the PP front to maximum lean angle and make use of the softer compound.

Hey Baileyrock easy on those things would ya, I tried to get a set last week for my bike and was told its a 3 week wait too get them. So I went with the BX014's, but I'm going to order a set of road 2's early next change

Check Derby Cycles mentioned in this thread, they seem to have plenty in stock and cheaper then anywhere so far! :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
Hey Baileyrock easy on those things would ya, I tried to get a set last week for my bike and was told its a 3 week wait too get them. So I went with the BX014's, but I'm going to order a set of road 2's early next change

Check Derby Cycles mentioned in this thread, they seem to have plenty in stock and cheaper then anywhere so far! :huh:

BTW, are we talking about PR2 or PR2CT( two component tyre)?

I stated the price for 2CT.

the new set is mounted to F800ST of my wife - will test them tomorrow.smile.gif

the previous one was PR2.

Check Derby Cycles mentioned in this thread, they seem to have plenty in stock and cheaper then anywhere so far! :fing02:

the new set is mounted to F800ST of my wife - will test them tomorrow. smile.gif

Yes, I think the official name is the Pilot Road 2, but they have CT molded all around both edges of the tread. The only Michelin that has CT in the name is Pilot Power 2CT's and there not worth the extra money IMO. :huh:

• Member Contributer

Check Derby Cycles mentioned in this thread, they seem to have plenty in stock and cheaper then anywhere so far! :fing02:

the new set is mounted to F800ST of my wife - will test them tomorrow. smile.gif

Yes, I think the official name is the Pilot Road 2, but they have CT molded all around both edges of the tread. The only Michelin that has CT in the name is Pilot Power 2CT's and there not worth the extra money IMO. :huh:

This thread has talked me into the Pilot Road 2 (REAR), and still a Pilot Power on the front after the Bridgestones cup / wear out. I know I don't ride as hard as some of you other Hooligans, but I've still been doing it long enough to like the merits of Quick Turn In and don't wanna' give up any............THANKS for the testing BR.......... :beer:

• Member Contributer
$300 for a set? :huh:

That's the cost of the rear tyre only here.

That's because the importer has to bribe 20 bureaucrats and 10 mafia bosses before he can get the tires to his store...

Nice to see a fellow Russian here.

Im getting a PR2 this weekend to tag along with my PP 2ct front, Cycle Gears seems to have a decent price, but Ive seen cheaper online prices..my only deal is I need a No Mar....

• Member Contributer
I'm getting a PR2 this weekend to tag along with my PP 2ct front, Cycle Gears seems to have a decent price, but Ive seen cheaper online prices..my only deal is I need a No Mar....

I have used a PP2ct front and a rear PP for several months,and Ii really pleased.Might try PR2 @$150ish but I like the grip of the PP2ct on the front,I like the feel and lean angle.

Mike

• Member Contributer
$300 for a set? :unsure:

That's the cost of the rear tyre only here.

That's because the importer has to bribe 20 bureaucrats and 10 mafia bosses before he can get the tires to his store...

Nice to see a fellow Russian here.

Was it too much of Hollywood movies? :blink:

They are for entertainment only, mate smile.gif

P.S. Michelin built new factory here, in the vicinity of Moscow.

• Member Contributer

I receved a reply form Michelin on the extra marking matter.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

If it is possible to get the same tyre ie180/55 ZR17M/C (73W) PIL.ROAD K TL then this is the best situation but it is not absolutely necessary and a non K marked tyre in the same size, tread pattern and load/speed ratings would be ok.

Once again thank you for your interest in Michelin.

Yours sincerely

Webmaster.

Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company

I receved a reply form Michelin on the extra marking matter.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

If it is possible to get the same tyre ie180/55 ZR17M/C (73W) PIL.ROAD K TL then this is the best situation but it is not absolutely necessary and a non K marked tyre in the same size, tread pattern and load/speed ratings would be ok.

Once again thank you for your interest in Michelin.

Yours sincerely

Webmaster.

Michelin Tyre Public Limited Company

Well that doesn't seem real helpful! :unsure:

btw em, just got my new rear and it says Michelin Pilot Road 2 U right on the manufacture label. +1.gif

I can't remember the last time I was anxiously awaiting my current tires wearing out. +1.gif

For a couple of months a new set of PR II's have been setting in my garage waiting the demise of the Pilot Road I rear and Pilot Power front on my bike now. Well, I just hit the wear bars, not much longer to wait :unsure:

Thanks for the review

All right, you guys talked me in to it. I just went down the local Honda dealer (R&S) and ordered a set. I was a little upset because I called and asked if they had a set in stock, they said yes so I drove down. When I got there what they had was Pilot Powers. So I ended up ordering a set of Road 2's that should arrive with in a week. No big deal, I have another week or two left on the current rear (D220). My out the door price was 261.34 for the set including tax. As an interesting side note, they now quote the same price to mount and balance on or off the bike - $50.00 per wheel. I told them Cycle Gear does it for $25 per wheel off the bike. The guy just shrugged his shoulders. Anyway, I should have a set on the bike by the end of next week, can't wait to try em out.

gallery_9137_2250_45793.jpg

Road 2 price

Action

All right, you guys talked me in to it. I just went down the local Honda dealer (R&S) and ordered a set. I was a little upset because I called and asked if they had a set in stock, they said yes so I drove down. When I got there what they had was Pilot Powers. So I ended up ordering a set of Road 2's that should arrive with in a week. No big deal, I have another week or two left on the current rear (D220). My out the door price was 261.34 for the set including tax. As an interesting side note, they now quote the same price to mount and balance on or off the bike - $50.00 per wheel. I told them Cycle Gear does it for $25 per wheel off the bike. The guy just shrugged his shoulders. Anyway, I should have a set on the bike by the end of next week, can't wait to try em out.

gallery_9137_2250_45793.jpg

Road 2 price

Action

That's an increadiable price, even more so from a Dealer!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Congrats!

• Member Contributer
That's an increadiable price, even more so from a Dealer!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

I assume they are counting on an additional $100 for mounting! +1.gif

• Member Contributer

We had a short 500 mile ride this afternoon - due to National Day there is a day off. So my better half tested the set of tyres, PR2CT( paid $600 mounted). She said they were much better than the PR2. though the weather was rather chilling and tarmac was not heated. She was delighted.smile.gif

I assume they are counting on an additional $100 for mounting! :unsure:

Thats what I'm guessing too. If they would price match on the mounting I would give them my business for that also, since they won't, they lose out.

Action

We had a short 500 mile ride this afternoon - due to National Day there is a day off. So my better half tested the set of tyres, PR2CT( paid $600 mounted). She said they were much better than the PR2. though the weather was rather chilling and tarmac was not heated. She was delighted. smile.gif

"PR2CT( paid $600 mounted). She said they were much better than the PR2."

Do you mean PR (Pilot Road) and not PR2 here? PR2's are what I'm running and talking about and there is no PR2CT offically! :unsure: The only Michelin tire w/CT in the name is a Pilot Power 2CT.

We had a short 500 mile ride this afternoon - due to National Day there is a day off. So my better half tested the set of tyres, PR2CT( paid $600 mounted). She said they were much better than the PR2. though the weather was rather chilling and tarmac was not heated. She was delighted. smile.gif

"PR2CT( paid $600 mounted). She said they were much better than the PR2."

Do you mean PR (Pilot Road) and not PR2 here? PR2's are what I'm running and talking about and there is no PR2CT offically! :unsure: The only Michelin tire w/CT in the name is a Pilot Power 2CT.

I believe so, easy to get mixed up, as my tires have 2CT on the sides (PR2's). :ohmy:

Archived