Pilot Road 2's As A Sport Tire Review!

Baileyrock

Rad,

I do have few miles of twisties, but there is just about 200 miles of straight roads to get to them.... :cool:

So, is $370 installed for PR2's a good price? Are they worth 100 bucks more than the powers? I can't even find PP on-line for less than $270, not to mention installed, so will the Road's give me that much more mileage to make it worth the extra green? Like I said, as soon as they go on, I'll be hitting the highway to the tune of 1000 miles or so.... Hopefully I will find some twisties at the half-way mark.... smile.gif

Thanks,

JB

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rad,

I do have few miles of twisties, but there is just about 200 miles of straight roads to get to them.... +1.gif

So, is $370 installed for PR2's a good price? Are they worth 100 bucks more than the powers? I can't even find PP on-line for less than $270, not to mention installed, so will the Road's give me that much more mileage to make it worth the extra green? Like I said, as soon as they go on, I'll be hitting the highway to the tune of 1000 miles or so.... Hopefully I will find some twisties at the half-way mark.... smile.gif

Thanks,

JB

Come up to Athens, GA and I'll put some PP take-offs (150 miles) on your bike for $245 installed. :cool:

If you want just the tires, I can get them for $175 a set.

So, is $370 installed for PR2's a good price? Are they worth 100 bucks more than the powers?

JB

Yes, IMO. I get close to 70% more miles from a PR2 than a PP and have no loss in grip. :cool:

They do steer a little slower than the PP's though.

So, is $370 installed for PR2's a good price? Are they worth 100 bucks more than the powers?

JB

Yes, IMO. I get close to 70% more miles from a PR2 than a PP and have no loss in grip. :cool:

They do steer a little slower than the PP's though.

The PR2s cost you more?? If anything they may cost less here... although where I purchase mine, they charge the same for a set of PR2s as for a set of PP2CTs: 320€ fitted and balanced. Of course I get mine over the net for 250€ a pair or the equivalent for a mixed bunch (PR2 rear PP2CT front). I then take them in to get fitted on the rims, OFF THE BIKE, at 5€ a rim. If I'm lazy or don't have the time, I just ride in and they charge me 10€ a rim. They couldn't give a damn if I want to mix and match, it's not their responsability if I order them to shoe a mixed set. I wouldn't be looking to litigate anyway, bad workmanship is another issue, I have one small chunk taken out of the rim from the last tyre change which I have yet to discuss with them...

• Member Contributer

For what it's worth. This is the first year that I will not have to put a new set of shoes on the bike before I can go for a ride. I am throughly impressed with the PP2's > I did put fewer miles on this year but enough that the tires should so some sort of wear.

Next set will be PP2's again, but at the rate I am going Michilin will have a new version out by then.

• Member Contributer
I hear you on the worn out Powers. If I do the trailer up to the good road thing, my Powers are worn into a V shape even more severe than they come from the factory, and straight line stability is well, nonexistant. I have not found any way to counter it other than to ride superslab, and I would rather deal with the weaving back and forth before riding highways.

Just move to Michigan! You won't have enough twisties to wear the outside's first!

• 3 weeks later...

Having read all of this thread I have at last got around to making a comment. This thread has been a fantastic lot of information and peoples experience and it has helped me at last make a final choice. At last I decided on and had fitted last Friday a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Saturday of course was belting down with rain but regardless had to ride 150km in the late afternoon in order to attend a level 2 advanced cornering and baking course on Sunday. The dealer had buffed them a little and took the bike for a longish ride for me, to check on and give me his impressions of its handling, braking etc. As a result we have tweaked the rear settings a bit and on the ride home on Friday (20km mixed city/freeway commute) it already felt much better, and on Sunday I got a lot constructive advice, learning and track practice. I really enjoyed the new feeling of confidence and that the bike wouldn't go out from under me that I had with the old Dunlop D205's. My suspension settings for anyone interested are as follows: my weight about 95kg (210lb) fully kitted up. Rear preload 3 clicks off soft, rear rebound 1.75 turns off full hard, front spring preload 2 rings showing and have dropped the triple clamp down the forks 10mm. I'm always interested on others opinions about this stuff. I also plan to replace the fork oil sometime soon.

I've had my PR2's for about 4 months now, and LOVING them! Especially when they save lives!

Last weekend I was leaning right over at about 120 km/hr (75 mph) and accellerating on one of my favorate roads in otherwise great conditions, when suddenly there was like a 2 meter wide river running accross the road... :-o

There had been a little land-slide, that was directing a heap of the day-before's rain runoff from the maountain straight onto the black stuff.

Both wheels aquaplaned briefly, but after sliding only a meter of so off-line she gave a little wobble and whent right on as if nothing had happened (other than my heart beating significantly faster and the girl on the back holding on for dear life the next few clicks...)

Lesser tyres would have just declared: "I can be expected to hold that" and given up with dire consequenses!

Thanks PR2's, we live to ride another day!!

• Member Contributer

I just love the smell of all this fresh new rubber! It is almost worth the price just to get 'em in the mail. I love the PP's on the CBRR, but I am grinding off the rears on the VFR. Maybe it is the acceleration or speed, but I don't see what about that is likely to change, so it is off to Pilot Road 2's this spring.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Okay, Derby Cycles raised there price on PR2's $278.98, still a good price but is there any better place to prices????

Well, this all convinced me to give this combo a try. Derby Cycle price for the PP/PR2 set was $296.47 which included $30 for shipping. Cheapest price I found through the net, $80 less for the set than through CycleGear.

I just love the smell of all this fresh new rubber! It is almost worth the price just to get 'em in the mail. I love the PP's on the CBRR, but I am grinding off the rears on the VFR. Maybe it is the acceleration or speed, but I don't see what about that is likely to change, so it is off to Pilot Road 2's this spring.

Trust me, you will like it. No grip loss and a decent improvement in wear. The only negative (if your coming off PP's) is a slightly slower turn-in from the rear.

I probably have run through at least 10 sets of PP's (love them)before the switch to PP/PR2 set-up. I avg. around 2200 miles from a P Power rear and now I get over 3000 miles from the rear PR2(that's around a 40% increase) and I just replace them as a set now instead of 1.5 rears to a front. :cool:

I picked up my '98 recently and the PO had just put on PilotPower2CT's. Anybody familiar with them as compared to the PP's or PR2's? I don't have anything to compare them to on this bike, but so far I find them very grippy and confident tires. Based on Michelin's charts comparing their tires, it seems I can expect to get less mileage out of them than even the PP's.

med_gallery_15418_4489_12421.jpg

I picked up my '98 recently and the PO had just put on PilotPower2CT's. Anybody familiar with them as compared to the PP's or PR2's? I don't have anything to compare them to on this bike, but so far I find them very grippy and confident tires. Based on Michelin's charts comparing their tires, it seems I can expect to get less mileage out of them than even the PP's.

Howdy, the PP 2ct is a fine tire but IMO is a total waste of money for street riding of any kind over just the standard Pilot Power. 90% of VFR riders will never see the limits of a good ST tire let alone a standard Pilot Power and the extra premium of 2ct's is totally necessary IMO.

Enjoy this set and next tire just run standard Pilot Powers or Pilot Road 2's. :cool:

My next set for TMAC will be a PR2 rear and regular PP frt.

Thanks Bailey.

A 2CT is basically a PP with softer sides. Some of us could use up the whole side in a day.

Archived