Anybody Good With Paintshop?

Guest ElementalG20

Guest ElementalG20

I was wondering if anybody would be so kind as to put a white paint job on a 5th gen with a black front fender, and black on the lower cowl area. I hope to paint my 99' this fall since I'm installing the gixxer mirrors and intend to de-dumbo. I may go back to stock re-sale red but that just seems boring since this is my 2nd all red viffer. Any other colors/idea's are up for discussion smile.gif Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'll take it!

If I ever repaint my 5th gen I will definitely consider white. Not a '93 pearl but a bright white like my '89 Acura (it is probably still up and running somewhere).

Looks good, but (and no offense meant here) now it looks like a police bike. To me anyway. But I still like it.

There's something to be said for being different. Red is my favorite color, so my '04 Italian Red bike looks terrific to me. But if I ever had to repaint it, it wouldn't be red. There are just so many red VFRs out there already. Royal blue, emerald green or even orange would be one of my choices.

• Member Contributer
Looks good. Just needs some of the silver/clear dumbos...

you can get clear turn signals?

That is exactly what I meant, only I'll be doing a dumboectimy in the even of a repaint along with my gsxr mirrors smile.gif

Thanks for the effort though, I truely do appreciate it. A more front biast angle would be pretty cool too though wink.gif

Guest vfrrider
I'll take it!

If I ever repaint my 5th gen I will definitely consider white. Not a '93 pearl but a bright white like my '89 Acura (it is probably still up and running somewhere).

You mean Shasta White.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer
I'll take it!

You mean Shasta White.

Larry

VFRrider

I think that they called it Polar White. All I know is that it was BRIGHT white and didn't have and warmth to it. It just looked... Clean.

RE,

Next time your near a painters supply look at Toyota white, not sure the year but

I can prolly find out. Its the same white I used on my NC and was told its the

brightest white of any maker. I do know its very hard to keep clean between base

and clear coats. You simply cannot touch it, sand it, or anything after you lay the

base. Its a later model car say 2005 and up, again if need be I can get exact

year and perhaps even formula.

I'll take it!

You mean Shasta White.

Larry

VFRrider

I think that they called it Polar White. All I know is that it was BRIGHT white and didn't have and warmth to it. It just looked... Clean.

Shasta White was the colour Honda used on the early Interceptors. My 84 1000F is mostly Shasta White.

The whitest white should be 'base' white, as in the base paint for colour (color?) tinting - as it should have no tints or levels at all.

A more front biast angle would be pretty cool too though

I just figured I'd go with a rear angle since that's the view most folks will have as you zoom by. wink.gif

Phantom, you sir are correct. I know mine wont look at good(lack of ohlins forks wink.gif) But all white with white wheels is drop dead sexy, thanks for pics of his bike, inspirational!

• Member Contributer
Phantom, you sir are correct. I know mine wont look at good(lack of ohlins forks wink.gif ) But all white with white wheels is drop dead sexy, thanks for pics of his bike, inspirational!

I think I just found my new fastest color! :fing02:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Is this roughly what you meant?

gallery_14642_3926_368123.jpg

I hate to hijack a perfectly good thread but I think this pick is a great start for the paint scheme I want to steal from Bimota for my 5th gen which is currently red with the expected wear rubs, nicks and scratches from 51K of service, which begs for a fresh start. See my avitar for the paint scheme if you decide to accept this mission. Or look here http://www.bimotausa.com/imgs/db7/01.html for a better look. I'm doing this in lew of buying a new stable mate to which the wife say's NO! I've got the Corbin Smuggler seat which has the perma seat cover that acts as a trunk.

gallery_14642_3926_212456.jpg

Here you go, Bob. Is this what you were thinking? Rather than a fancy texture, I would suggest keeping the carbon fiber section simple and just go with a satin finish black, or gray so dark it's near-black. Note that I also replaced the stock amber blinker covers with clear ones. The image hosting here tends to over compress the pics (but hey, can't complain about free image hosting!) so if you want a high resolution version (about 8x10 at 300ppi) just let me know.

• Member Contributer
gallery_14642_3926_212456.jpg

Here you go, Bob. Is this what you were thinking? Rather than a fancy texture, I would suggest keeping the carbon fiber section simple and just go with a satin finish black, or gray so dark it's near-black. Note that I also replaced the stock amber blinker covers with clear ones. The image hosting here tends to over compress the pics (but hey, can't complain about free image hosting!) so if you want a high resolution version (about 8x10 at 300ppi) just let me know.

That is even more true to the Bimota detail than I was thinking. Great work on the dimensions etc... The colors are great. I've got y2k mirrors and I'd probably leave them black. The upper red I imagined running lower on the upper fairing and tank at the creese that runs midway into the headlight lense and just over the top of the honda wing graphic on the tank(about the 3rd feather down). Front fender may go carbon fiber. Black anodized forks and wheels. Lower red section I thought should go down to the lower corner of the small vent that is covered by black section. Tail section no black on the bottom but black on the top of the seat cover where the red is. If that is easily done. The work you did is probably better than what I'm suggesting so I'd like to see them together. Great adaptation. I feel like I should be paying you.

Thanks

Bob

Archived