Mystery 5th Gen Engine Lump

redmarque

Question

• Member Contributer

In the search for space i'm tempted to remove some of this, but what does it do? apart from the breather pipe connector? surely I could cut 20mm to make it lower?

The manual says 'packings'

rearcover.jpg

12 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
surely I could cut 20mm to make it lower?

Why in the world would you want to do that? :unsure:

My patient needs more room for it's battery - lack of fore-thought on my part! sad.gif it fits but would be happier to give the fuel pump more clearance.

It probably has some sort of steel wool in it. The main job is to separate the oil from the crankcase gasses/pressure before it is released. Without the material, it will allow the gasses along with suspended oil into the air filter housing.

It probably has some sort of steel wool in it. The main job is to separate the oil from the crankcase gasses/pressure before it is released. Without the material, it will allow the gasses along with suspended oil into the air filter housing.

Unless you run the vapours through a catch tank before routing to the airbox.......

In the search for space i'm tempted to remove some of this, but what does it do? apart from the breather pipe connector? surely I could cut 20mm to make it lower?

rearcover.jpg

Donttouchdat!!! Your Klingon bike needs it's dlithium crystal fission quenching chamber!!!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I bought a battery for my 5th gen that turned out to be about 20mm shorter than stock, I had to put a block of wood under it, at the bottom of the battery compartment to raise it up. Could a smaller battery be a solution?

Rich A

• Member Contributer
Donttouchdat!!! Your Klingon bike needs it's dlithium crystal fission quenching chamber!!!

Beck

95 VFR

Very true! if it really needs to be cut down. I'll get my Forceps /scalpel and dissect for the class! :wacko:

Ta All.

Red

• Member Contributer

rearcover.jpg

I bet Mark J. Harris would know (he's the guy on the IOM who swapped an Fi engine into a VTEC). Look for him on the bikersoracle VFR site...

Ciao,

Archived