Type Of Helmet!

Mitch

I have been using an Icon for 3 years now, I had an Icon alliance 2, and now I have an Icon Mainframe. I really love how they are quiet to a lot of the windnoise but you can still hear the roar of your pipes as you are cruising down the road. I borrowed my dads Shoei for a while and I couldnt believe how much louder it was compared to both of my Icons. And the icons were about half the price! They are actually a little lighter than the Shoei as well, especially the Mainframe!

So what does everyone wear and why?

gallery_13455_3661_1968145.jpg

IMG_1525.JPG

I was a dyed in the wool Arai fella but then I picked up a Bieffe Predator for next to nothing. It is really an automotive helmet but it shure is cool.

predator.jpg

Now I've moved onto a Nolan N102. It looks to be the business and I cant find anyone who says much bad about it. Also, with the nolan, I cannot get the visor to fog, very good! I have a gigantic bucket head and Arai helmets usually fit well in XL. The nolan is an XL and is just right. Shoeis dont fit at all.

I'll report back on the nolan after a coupla hundred miles.

• Member Contributer

I've got a Scorpion EXO-700. It was cheap, and got good reviews. I like it. It flows quite a bit of air, is not unecessarily loud, and fits quite well. :thumbsup:

forgot to mention, The nolan can be had on Ebay for 230 shipped. It includes a chin curtain, an anti fog insert and extra plates for those who decide to take off the VPS sun shield.

check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCJ0RMNCO84

• Member Contributer

Currently using a Shoei TZ-R based on a review by webbikeworld.com (who I really like for reviews) because it was lighter than my old Scorpion EX-400, quieter than the -400, and seemed a bit better made. It also cost twice as much.

I'm looking to replace the Shoei though, once it warms up, because I (stupidly) bought the thing in black and I don't need to heat soak that adds from the sun. It also doesn't vent very well. The -400 kept my head cooler, for sure. I'm interested in the new Sparx line of helmets, from KBC. Not buying without trying one on though, and I don't know of a retailer close to me. May be something else to pick up on a run to Kansas City where the nearest Rev'It retailer is (wanting to transition into some of their gear as time and money permits).

I use the Icon Mainframe helmet. Why? Because it was cheap, comfy, and the quality was decent.

th_IconAlliance.jpg

I also have a Nolan N102 helmet that I use on long trips. It's not really all that comfortable, but I got it because it has a built in intercom system so I can talk to my parents on their Goldwings.

th_n1026.jpg

• Member Contributer

My wife and I wear Scorpion Exo 400's. We haven't had them long, but so far they are great, and the price for the quality can't be beat. I was hesitant about the brand at first, but after trying on and checking out a ton of helmets, the Exo400 was the right choice for both of us.

Hey, why not add a poll to this thread to help prospective buyers.

I also have an Icon. It is the Domain (in silver). Seems to have very good airflow and is quite quiet for the amount of airflow. Looks really cool too! ("Remember, it is better to looook good than to feel good...")

And that is a good point...is a black helmet REALLY hotter than a lighter helmet? The surface will be hotter but will that heat actually be transferred to inside?

OGK, the lightest motorcycle helmet. Check out the write up on web bike world below.

They are available through a company in southern California. Here is their website . . .

http://ogk-helmet.com/html/contact.htm

I got mine from England and like the way I could customize the interior fit.

I have the F4 model in the color and design shown on this website . . .

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/ogk/ff4/

I like it so much that I am going to sell my rare Shoei "dragon" model.

• Member Contributer

After failing to find a system helmet. I changed tack and decided to pay hommage to (one of) the best racers ever......

HPIM4507.jpg

:thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I have a HJC CL-12 that came with the bike I bought. That was 5+ years ago, so last year I bought a AGV V-Flyer Americana. I've worn it 3 or 4 times and at freeway speeds the shield starts to vibrate. I'm contacting AGV USA to see what they can do about this. Anyone have an XSpeed? How is it?

I have had several different ones and recently bought a HJC CL-SP Osiris. There were numerous reviews that said the CL-SP was the best bang for the buck on the market. I have had it for two months and I am very pleased with it. Check out the HJC review below and you will see what I am talking about. Overall I am very satisfied with the helmet. For the price, I do not think you can beat it. I also tried on the Scorpion and liked it as well, but heard some people locally complain about the lining and sweating in them more than normal.

I like the Shoei, but just do not think the quality is worth the premium price. HJC makes a really nice product for the price. The HJC AC-12 Carbon is pretty nice as well.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/cl-sp/

Birddog

• Member Contributer

Scorpion EXO-700 and really love the feel, as we all know its what best fits your mellon that makes a great helmet.

Previous helmet was a Arai quantum.

• Member Contributer

I've been wearing a Shoei multitec for a while and just bought an HJC FS-10 with the flip down internal visor. It's a very nice, light helmet and the flip down visor is very handy. It's louder than my Shoei and is not the best cold weather helmet because of the air coming through the mechanism that you use to flip the visor with. But other than that, I really like it and am looking forward to warmer rides with it. It also has a fully removeable liner that the shoei doesn't have. Linky-HJC FS-10

I was wearing an Icon mainframe, but switched to a Shark RSR2 about 5 months ago due to the weight savings. I have a fused neck at C-6 and C-7 and the 1lb weight savings is huge for me.

• Member Contributer

HJC, because I'm cheap. It is comfortable enough for a short distance commuter like me, it can fall down and get scratched without causing me a heart attack, and nobody in their mind would steal it if I leave it on the bike (although I usually carry the helmet with me anyway).

The only thing I don't like about my HJC - it whistles in the wind when the visor is open. With the visor closed, it's very quiet.

Edit: the model is HJC CL-14.

• Member Contributer
I have been using an Icon for 3 years now, I had an Icon alliance 2, and now I have an Icon Mainframe. I really love how they are quiet to a lot of the windnoise but you can still hear the roar of your pipes as you are cruising down the road. I borrowed my dads Shoei for a while and I couldnt believe how much louder it was compared to both of my Icons. And the icons were about half the price! They are actually a little lighter than the Shoei as well, especially the Mainframe!

gallery_13455_3661_1968145.jpg

IMG_1525.JPG

Shoei X-11 -- great helmet, but buy it on sale. Next helmet will be either an AGV or Shark. Tired of the run of the mill Shoe and Arai graphics. Suomys are nice but loud. Bell just came out with a new line, maybe worth taking a look at.

• Member Contributer

Wore ICON Mainframe for several years until I picked up a Scorpion EXO-1000. Slightly heavier than the Mainframe but same noise reduction (might even be just a tad quieter). With the optically clear visor that absolutely refuses to fog over (iced over once this winter) and the retractable sun visor, I'm very happy with it.

And it's less than $300.

I found that Shoei helmets fit comfortably, so I've stuck with them from RF200 to my current RF1000. I had a crash a few years back and the RF700 I had on was horribly scraped, with some deep gouges. It saved my life. That's the best recommendation I can give.

Scorpion EXO-700 When I was shopping for a helmet I just wanted one that was both DOT & SNELL approved. I found one at the local dealer on sale for $135 in a 2xl to fit my gigantic noggin and was red white & black to match the bike. It was a done deal. It was after I bought the helmet and came home and did a little research that I found out how highly rated this helmet is. I think I've even seen Scorpion helmets on a few magazine covers. Didn't Matt Mladin just sign on with them as well??? :thumbsup:

Originally I used a KBC. I bought it because I didn't know better. It went on the shelf for a while, I was riding a big cruiser with a beanie (not safe, but cool). Once I got back into sport bikes I redonned the KBC, and it felt like I was wearing a tank. Poor sound elimination and poor mobility, not to mention the weight. I did my homework and settled on the Shoei RF-1000. Love It! Super light and almost no wind noise (at respectful speeds). I also combine this helmet with the Whistler Crusader Radar Detector helmet mounted LED indicator, as well as helmet mounted speakers for music. I have no problems even with all of that gear in there. Very comfortable.

• Member Contributer

I've got an AGV and an HJC. I wanted the AGV for the longest time because it's got such a cool design but I didn't want to pay $280. I found a new one on eBay last year for $145 (it was a leftover from the previous year and he just wanted to get rid of it.) I've also got an HJC CL-14 Fuse helmet (the exact one I was looking for.) I got it on ebay for $50 from a guy who said his wife only wore it twice and then decided she didn't like riding.

I like both of them and they both look cool but I can tell the AGV is the more expensive helmet. Overall, it's just a better-made helmet.

Archived