Type Of Helmet!

Mitch

I started out with a KBC VR-1. I liked it but didn't love it. After trying on everything I could get my hands on I switched last year to a Shark RSR2. Very light and great ventilation. it also has one of the easiest visor change systems out there.

gallery_9137_2250_72941.jpg

Shark 1.jpg

gallery_9137_2250_78523.jpg

Shark 2.jpg

Action

I wear an HJC AC-12 Carbon, in the "Vader" print. Got it during a terrific sale (XXL only) at newenough.com. Not the quietest lid around, but it fits me well and the quality of construction is very good. Plus of course it's very light!

I just made the switch from an Arai Quantum F (Nakano) to a Shoei X-11 (Kiyonari TC-2)

They are both great helmets but here in AZ, my pre-purchase research revealed the X-11 as the best ventilated helmet out there and that mattered.

I can vouch for this 'cause in the morning, it's been around 30 deg and before I finally figured out which vents to close to eliminate fogging AND keep warm, I felt the ice forming on my face in the X-11 where the Arai has always been nice and cozy with no fogging. Might have to get another Arai for winter riding!

The X-11 aerodynamics are superior and it is lighter than the Arai too. It is louder but I wear earplugs anyway. The face shield on the X-11 is the easiest to change I've ever seen. Fantastic helmet but DON'T pay retail on it as there are plenty of deals out there. Mine WITH the blue iridium shield was about $550 new and I think it's even cheaper now.

• Member Contributer
SuperBike Store.net has some good deals on Arai. Check them out. :thumbsup:

I'm looking at Arai's right now, but don't see it on their website......... :beer:

I think they just recently took on Arai.......may not have them on the site yet. Drop them an email.

Hi; Congrats for wearing a helmet...I have several and my criteria is fit, function and safety first....style, sound and colour last. The noise issues in a helmet can easily and should be resolved with high quality and properly fitted ear plugs...safety is another matter and the most critical...and the issue that raises the most questions????..I prefer to educate myself through research, please have a look at a preferred wesite, http://www.webbikeworld.com/Site-info/Info.htm..This site is an excellent start for all your motorcycling needs, and it's written in an unbiased manner...Have a look. Drive safe and "Keep the Shiney Side UP!!!!" Cheers, Jeffy

Shoei XR 1000 with 'whisper kit'

I'm happy with it, although not everyone is agreeing that it's a good helmet, I never had complaints, dry or wet.

Still need the earplugs of course. But then again, I have tinnitus and hyperacusis, so it's unbearable without ear-fock€rs :salesman:

:beer:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I got the Black HJC CL-Max Modular Helmet when I picked up my bike and had to get an extra large so it didnt put a strangle hold on my face. It seemed to fit really tight on my face with the large and the XL seems to move around a bit on my head. The HJC also seems to ride a little further down the neck. I have a very thick short neck which makes the helmet tip. It isnt to loud and it does get some air flow around the modular face peice but not to bad.

I went back and picked up a Fulmer Modus. It fits me much better around the face and does not seem to ride down the back of my neck as far. This helps to keep it from tipping forward when I rais my head up. It does get alot more air from the front face modular peice that the HJC but for me it is much more comfortable and doesnt move around as much.

I am going to sell the HJC and look for another to replace it that fits a little better.

I do truly love the Modular designs as I can flip up the front of the helmet which is nice.

• Member Contributer

I'm using a RF-1000 that I got brand new off ebay for like 200$. It had some goldwing decals that I just took off and added a mad cow decal to the back. The wind noise really dropped from the Beifee that I use to use. I find the cooling is pretty good but could be better at night as I find I have to ride with the visor up one click so I don't fog up. This year I'm looking to get a smoked visor for it this summer.

Now I've moved onto a Nolan N102. It looks to be the business and I cant find anyone who says much bad about it. Also, with the nolan, I cannot get the visor to fog, very good! I have a gigantic bucket head and Arai helmets usually fit well in XL. The nolan is an XL and is just right. Shoeis dont fit at all.

I'll report back on the nolan after a coupla hundred miles.

:unsure:

I did exactly the same thing, switched from an Arai quantumF to the N102 Nolan. I think on comfort, wind noise and just general convenience the Nolan has the Arai beat.

Though I am told not all heads are made for Nolan's and you may need to trim the shape a little here and there :-)

Arai Profile.

I chose this helmet because it was the most comfortable on my egg shaped head. I can wear it all day long without any discomfort. Very quiet with the face shield closed.

Certainly not the least expensive lid on the market but well worth it!

ProfileSpiralSlvr-1.jpg

I use the HJC-AC12 CARBON its VERY light got a great deal local. Its a bit loud because

I think the ear muff is nearly 1/2" from the ear. This however is great because I installed

small speakers taking up that space, helps two fold makes it quiet yet aids in putting the

music closer to my ear without wearing fussy ear buds.

I do have a gripe about them and I have seen and heard this from other owners. They

tend to get small bubbles in the clear. Its not a delamination just very small bubbles. I

had a nasty spill and only thing was it scratched the decal at the forehead. I'm in the

process of repainting which I will have a thread that should be cool once I'm done.

Yeah...

I, um, bought a uhhh....

Vega Altura.

It was disturbingly cheap, but was functional and I need something before I go to the class. It also has the benefit of coming in fat head sizes.

I actually spent more on my gloves.

• Member Contributer

I've always used Arai, I have an Arai head, now I've got a Maverick which I like but it has some drawbacks. Since Arai changed the shield removal system I have lost one of the side-pods and had another break, now being held on with clear tape till I get it sorted.

This never happened to any of my previous lids. I think it was a bad move to change the system which they did, or so I heard, because so many new and return to biking people believed they were breaking the visor even though it was perfectly functioning. I used to be able to change from my dark tint to my clear visor without removing the helmet, so easy and practical. I wont get another.

Fancy getting one of those helmets with the flip-up chin bar, easier to smoke, eat, drink, brush teeth :D while on the move and for petrol stations etc.

Bren

• Member Contributer

I have always been an Arai guy. For my particular head shape Arai makes the most comfortable helmet out there. Shoei, Icon and HJC helmets all press against my forehead quite a bit which makes long rides uncomfortable. Also, a friend of mine has always bought Arai helmets and he swears by them. He had a really bad accident years ago and his played a big role in keeping him alive.

• Member Contributer

I've owned every brand out there over the years and keep going back to the Fulmer D4......I own (2) D4 Apaches right now.

I guess a "cheap head" likes a cheap helmet................... :goofy:

I currently have a Uvex and the only issue I have with this helmet is the quality of the liner. Other than that it is comfortable and quiet.

I would never get me one of those ABS or Polycarbonate helmets or one that has the visor on the rear: :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have a Shoei RF1000 and IT SUCKS TERRIBLY. The thing fogs up even on the best of days, and it is seriously freakin' loud! I'm impressed by the new SCORPION helmets, but I have to get another 10 years out of my shoei before slurging on a new helmet.

I have a Shark RSi in size large. I like it alot, it has replaced an older HJC cl-12. and a Scorpion exo 400 that i tried to replace the HJC with.

Basically the shark fits better on my egg shapped head than the other two helmets. It has a great visor changing system, much better than the scorpion. and it also doesn't fog, the visor is thicker and has less distortion than the scorpion. the helmet is very much lighter than anything else I have tried on (check webbikeworld for the chart). and mine cost I thnk $237.50

The replacement visors are pretty expensive though at $60 a pop for tints. but you shouldn't have to worry about them breaking or having poor vision through them.

Archived