6th Gen Storage Panel With Pics

Guest Cerebus

Guest Cerebus

I was trying to find places to store a tire repair kit and CO2 when I realized that my bike had an additional storage area. I took off the seat and looked closely at the plastic cover in front of my rear brake fluid reservoir. After removing the top plastic rivet, I pulled the plastic housing back and found that there was room on the right side of the bike for storage. It's equivalent to the battery's size and then some. I left the rivet off and have not had any problems with it rattling, etc. during my daily commute.

This came in handy when my right mirror snapped off on a ride out of town. I didn't have my tank or EXL bag with me to store the broken mirror. The mirror and stalk fit in there w/no problem.

Just wondered if anyone else has found a use for this space.

Edited by Cerebus

• Member Contributer

Quite a few people have used the space by the rear brake reservoir for storage or to mount aftermarket accessories. But the space is only available if you have a non-ABS 6th Gen...on ABS-equipped models that space houses the rear brake modulator and a bunch of ABS plumbing. Same goes for the open space at the top forward area under the left side cowl...this is where the front brake ABS modulator is mounted.

I took the idea and ran with it. I found some thick black plastic around the house and trimmed it to make an enclosed space. I didnt like the open places and wanted to make it more of a box.

batterytray007Small.jpg

batterytray006Small.jpg

batterytray009Small.jpg

Here is the space with a first aid kit.

batterytray012Small.jpg

Now with a small can of chain lube and a first aid kit.

batterytray015Small.jpg

And with the trim piece on. Both items fit no problem.

batterytray022Small.jpg

batterytray018Small.jpg

Thanks johnga for the idea. Be careful and do not put small items in there. I have lost a tool before.

Guest Cerebus

I had also thought about enclosing that space a little more on the front. You did a good job with the plastic and zip ties.

I'm going to put a can of that self-sealing tire spray in there along w/my tire patch kit. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Put my P.C.III on the bottom of the seat rail. Still don't have the Co2 tire kit, but when I do, that's where it's going.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...800&hl=cyko

I was trying to find places to store a tire repair kit and CO2 when I realized that my bike had an additional storage area. I took off the seat and looked closely at the plastic cover in front of my rear brake fluid reservoir. After removing the top plastic rivet, I pulled the plastic housing back and found that there was room on the right side of the bike for storage. It's equivalent to the battery's size and then some. I left the rivet off and have not had any problems with it rattling, etc. during my daily commute.

This came in handy when my right mirror snapped off on a ride out of town. I didn't have my tank or EXL bag with me to store the broken mirror. The mirror and stalk fit in there w/no problem.

Just wondered if anyone else has found a use for this space.

Hum I didnt know there was more room, I keep tools and stuff under the seat, my compressor ,rain gear and stuff in the tail bag.

I think I am going to use the space for my tire pump and plugs, or first aid kit. That will free up room under the tail for guns and illegal drugs. :wheel:

that space is where I discovered my "missing" tool kit buried two years after I got the bike !!!

Only took it off when we changed the brake fluid.

Tool kit??

is there more than the extension pipe and the curved looking thing for tightening the chain, I assume its for the shock too but for the life of me i cant get it to work. Found mine under the rubber strap on left side under seat

That is unless there is another tool kit stashed. Have to check whenever i get home again. Thanks

• Member Contributer

You've been robbed!

I believe as of '05 they put less tools in the kit, (not sure which ones, [think one was the hub spanner]), but you should have wrenches, screwdrivers, feeler gage, etc.

that space is where I discovered my "missing" tool kit buried two years after I got the bike !!!

Only took it off when we changed the brake fluid.

Tool kit??

is there more than the extension pipe and the curved looking thing for tightening the chain, I assume its for the shock too but for the life of me i cant get it to work. Found mine under the rubber strap on left side under seat

That is unless there is another tool kit stashed. Have to check whenever i get home again. Thanks

yes there are other tools...the extension and spanner you have is needed to adjust the rear hub to tension the chain.

I actually used an old battery cover from my nissan truck that was no longer needed. I am going to make a more precise storage box with the other side of it. I cut this one out in ten minutes with a dremel, just to see how good it work.

The tools are useless without the extension bar. Otherwise I think it's pretty simple.

You've been robbed!

I believe as of '05 they put less tools in the kit, (not sure which ones, [think one was the hub spanner]), but you should have wrenches, screwdrivers, feeler gage, etc.

My 06 came with chain adjuster and extension and that was it, 1 month later salescalled and said the had a seat cowl for it. I really loved the cowl but the tail bag is more of a nessesity.

Edited by spud786

• Member Contributer

I replaced those annoying clips with three of the same clips that hold down the battery cover on the other side. You have to drill out the holes a bit on the cover and the tabs on the bike. For me I just pop the front clip and the top clip and leave the back one "locked" so the cover just spins up and back out of the way. That space has certainly come in handy.

MoreVFR004.jpg

PhotoMisc040a.jpg

I replaced those annoying clips with three of the same clips that hold down the battery cover on the other side. You have to drill out the holes a bit on the cover and the tabs on the bike. For me I just pop the front clip and the top clip and leave the back one "locked" so the cover just spins up and back out of the way. That space has certainly come in handy.

MoreVFR004.jpg

PhotoMisc040a.jpg

Cool idea Dutch, thanks! :wheel: