Anybody Use A Duc Wheel On Their Vfr?

Guest varium

Question

Did a search and didn't come up with anything, so here it goes. A while back i got to wondering why i was stuck with the 4 lug look. Thought i would take a chance and see about getting a Ducati eccentric hub hoping it would just slide right in. Well, it did alright.....right out the other side. :unsure:

So with this revelation i thought no problem, i'll just make a spacer. Yeah right, wish it was that easy. Had a major set back when i realized what a machine shop would charge to make such a part. Well, time has finally come to where i got a spacer made. The one in the pics is out of Ti. simply because it was the most convenient metal at the time of machining. Al. would probably be a better choice cause its going to be 20% lighter. Either way i can now fit my Ducati hub in the Honda swinger. Now i just have to mount up the rest of the hardware to make sure there are no issues.

Here are some pics.

DSC04372.jpg

DSC04373.jpg

DSC04374.jpg

DSC04375.jpg

DSC04376.jpg

DSC04377.jpg

DSC04378.jpg

DSC04379.jpg

DSC04381.jpg

24 answers to this question

SAFE-T will be along here shortly. I believe he has travelled down this path with much success.

Cool idea but I'm spending all of my additional dough on getting a custom triple clamp set CNC'd for my RC51 front end conversion.

And you thought that spacer was expensive to have machined!

Maybe next year though. Keep us posted on the outcome :thumbsup:.

Respectfully,

Tim

• Member Contributer
Did a search and didn't come up with anything, so here it goes. A while back i got to wondering why i was stuck with the 4 lug look. Thought i would take a chance and see about getting a Ducati eccentric hub hoping it would just slide right in. Well, it did alright.....right out the other side. :unsure:

So with this revelation i thought no problem, i'll just make a spacer. Yeah right, wish it was that easy. Had a major set back when i realized what a machine shop would charge to make such a part. Well, time has finally come to where i got a spacer made. The one in the pics is out of Ti. simply because it was the most convenient metal at the time of machining. Al. would probably be a better choice cause its going to be 20% lighter. Either way i can now fit my Ducati hub in the Honda swinger. Now i just have to mount up the rest of the hardware to make sure there are no issues.

Here are some pics.

Very nice. Safe-t has some pics in his gallery of a similar conversion.

cassandtim, have you posted on the custom triples?

I think the thing you have to watch out for is how the Ducati's wheel centerline might differ from the VFR's. Looks like the Ducati wheel bearing assembly is not as tall as the VFR unit you have next to it, which might translate to different swingarm and wheel offsets beween the two. Everything has to add up so that your wheel's centerline ends up the same as the original. After all, the Honda and Ducati Engineers were not next to each other when they added up the specs for their SSS and wheel assemblies.

Beck

95 VFR

Did a search and didn't come up with anything, so here it goes. A while back i got to wondering why i was stuck with the 4 lug look. Thought i would take a chance and see about getting a Ducati eccentric hub hoping it would just slide right in. Well, it did alright.....right out the other side. :goofy:

Here are some pics.

Very nice. Safe-t has some pics in his gallery of a similar conversion.

cassandtim, have you posted on the custom triples?

Yeah, i remember his bike as about a year ago i contacted him to see about such a conversion. If i recall correctly he modifies the axle itself no?

• Member Contributer
I can now fit my Ducati hub in the Honda swinger. Now i just have to mount up the rest of the hardware to make sure there are no issues.

The Ducati and Honda eccentrics are very close in design, and the drive pins for the RC45 are visually identical to those on the Ducati.

You are going to need a custom rear brake caliper mount, since the Ducati's will be too short although it should otherwise line up with the mount on the Honda swingarm. Ducati uses a slider pin instead of the Honda's linkage arrangement.

Glad to see someone else work on the spacer concept - I heard of at least one other VFR owner that put an RC30 eccentric in their bike in similar fashion, and I have all the necessary parts sans spacer to do the same here if I ever feel like it.

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Does this mean there are now a few unwanted VFR800 cush drives layin' around VFRdom?? I always wanted to try a newer cush-hub assembly on my 750, they look a lot lighter.

FWIW, The single nut spindle from a HawkGT will slide right into a VFR eccentric. Brake rotor is smaller/on a different bolt pattern, but the wheel flange centerline and bearing journals are a match.

• Member Contributer
FWIW, The single nut spindle from a HawkGT will slide right into a VFR eccentric. Brake rotor is smaller/on a different bolt pattern, but the wheel flange centerline and bearing journals are a match.

Which year's of VFR ? Probably the 750...still requires some modification to the spindle to accept anything other than a Hawk wheel though since the drive pin diameter is different from Ducati's

IIRC, CBXfixer has done this. Look at his Gallery to see what he did.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...si&img=4356

I see someone thinks the rim is a dymag, and it very well could be. However, that looks soooooo much like a Hailwood SSSA rim.

BTW, it seems that also has an axle modification. I tried to grasp what Safe-t told me but it was just so much information and so many variables i just didn't care to wade into that river.

• Member Contributer

I get a time-out when trying to reply to Back's post.

Somewhere in Julian Ryder's book V-Force he tells of a wider rear wheel being fitted to one of the racing V4s. The tire would have rubbed the SSSA so they fitted a spacer which moved the wheel off the centerline of the bike. The riders had no problems with the bike like that. I was amazed to read that as I too believed it was essential to have it all perfectly lined up to get accurate steering.

• Member Contributer

Which year's of VFR ? Probably the 750...still requires some modification to the spindle to accept anything other than a Hawk wheel though since the drive pin diameter is different from Ducati's

yep, 750 was what I had in mind, although i think non-VTEC 800s are the same. VTEC has a different rear rotor? Be interesting to compare a lineup of the 3. (perhaps with RC30/45 & Duc spindles thrown in for good measure!)

HawkGT pins are on the same circle as the VFR studs. Not much help... sad.gif

• Member Contributer

update smile.gif ?

When you are done you can pair a three-spoke Brembo rear (I have one, by the way... wink.gif )

with a CBR600F4 front and you will barely be able to tell them apart. Better yet, you can use your VFR800 rotors on the F4 wheel.

Not sure if the F4i wheel will work, but the VFR's rotors are not interchangeable with it, nor are the F4's so if you go this route you need the wheel and rotors together.

update smile.gif ?

When you are done you can pair a three-spoke Brembo rear (I have one, by the way... wink.gif )

with a CBR600F4 front and you will barely be able to tell them apart. Better yet, you can use your VFR800 rotors on the F4 wheel.

Not sure if the F4i wheel will work, but the VFR's rotors are not interchangeable with it, nor are the F4's so if you go this route you need the wheel and rotors together.

The F4i does use a different bolt pattern(which it shares with the 929 and 954, possibly the same wheel), BUT, the rotor diameters are the same.

Can't wait for this to be done.

Actually, I can. I could make that spacer and the caliper mount easily enough, but can't afford the wheels I want... :joystick:

Varium, how much of a difference was there between the Ducati axle and the VFR axle? I'm guessing quite a bit as you had to get the ducati eccentric. What other differences have you come across? Anything dealing with the rear brake???

• Member Contributer
The F4i does use a different bolt pattern(which it shares with the 929 and 954, possibly the same wheel), BUT, the rotor diameters are the same.

Sounds like a recipe for an F4i front wheel with 320mm rotors on a CBR929/954 front end... :rolleyes:

Sounds like a recipe for an F4i front wheel with 320mm rotors on a CBR929/954 front end... :rolleyes:

+1.gif I have set of these rotors if anyone is interested... :warranty:

• Member Contributer

Interesting story behind Art's bike - he originally bought the Dymag Sport Magnesium wheels with VFR800 adapter from SuperbikeRacing, who told him it would work on the VFR750.

It didn't, and Art wound up making his own adapter.

Archived