Best Way To Remove Blood And Gore

JES_VFR

Deer blood and gore I mean.

I got really splattered bad going from work on Saturday, when a pickup truck in the left-hand lane struck a deer. It hit so hard that it split the deer in two. The foreleg and head section spin crazily down the side of the truck and sprayed my left side.

My jacket got some spots of blood on it, but my jeans looked like someone threw a bucket full of deer blood and guts on them. They were soaked clean through my socks, long underwear and jockeys.

I washed the jacket saturday night and I can't see anymore blood spots, but the jeans and other clothes are not fairing so well. I soaked them most of Sunday in a wash tub with a detergent and clorox2 mixture, then I washed them in cold water. I still have red brown socks, longs and very splattered jeans. I did not dry them but put them back into the wash tub with a bunch more detergent and one of the OXY-stain removers. I just checked them again and I still see stains.

Should I give up if running this mess through the washer doesn't remove the last of the stain?

• Forum CEO

Whoa, and you did not go down?

My buddy Craig hit a mule deer going about 70mph and he lowsided into the oncomming lane, I was behind him watching the whole thing in horror. He was rolling on the pavement with his crappy JoeRocket gear and jeans. He got all rashed up and banged up his elbow and shoulders. His gear was toast so he tossed it, the farings got scrapped half way down and had to be replaced. I did most the work and had to heat up and bend the front subframe that holds the dash. I did a pretty good job too - to toot my own horn. We plastic welded broken tabs back on and fixed the headlight that way. I brazed his radiator to fix a hole, straitened it out and fished all the smahed fins out with a pick washed out all the deer blood and fur - then pressure tested it.

As far as his jeans - he soaked them overnight and then washed them the next day, I think he used baking soda in the soaking water and some laundry soap. As far as leathers? I think I would take them to a professional and have them cleaned? Maybe some saddle soap and water will do the trick?

I jumped off my bike, and ran over to his, picked it up and got it off the road, and pushed it over to a turn off area. He was stiing on the side of the road a little dazed. He was all hopped up on adreniline and I thought he might go into shock so I loaded him onto the back of my bike and took him to the hospital in the next town. The State patrol had his bike towed away so we had to ride two up all the way home. The next weekend we went and got his bike and began repairs, it was a brand spanking new 02 VTEC too! To look at it now you would never know. He still has the old fairing in his garage with bits of Deer fur stuck in the cracks.

Try a hand cleaner like fast orange too.

Make sure it is not a petroleum based hand cleaner. just open lid n smell its easy to tell.

Not sure how it will work on Blood but works great on everything else but tranny fluid.

Just toss a gobb of it in the wash or you can try n scrub it into the stain first. if it doesnt work trying to scrub it in it aint gonna work.

I wash my Pretend-to-be-a-mechanic clothes this way.

Im sure glad it was a DEER and not you. Before i opened this i was think ooh no.

:deer: +1 for 2007 so far.

• Member Contributer
I here Hydrogen Poroxide will remove blood. I guess you just dab it on.

Works.............. :thumbsup: ...dab it on, rub it in......... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

can't you skin the deer and make a pair of leather pants? :unsure: :P

ditch them jeans, get protected :thumbsup:

My buddy Craig hit a mule deer going about 70mph and he lowsided into the oncomming lane, I was behind him watching the whole thing in horror. He was rolling on the pavement with his crappy JoeRocket gear and jeans. He got all rashed up and banged up his elbow and shoulders. His gear was toast so he tossed it, the farings got scrapped half way down and had to be replaced. I did most the work and had to heat up and bend the front subframe that holds the dash. I did a pretty good job too - to toot my own horn. We plastic welded broken tabs back on and fixed the headlight that way. I brazed his radiator to fix a hole, straitened it out and fished all the smahed fins out with a pick washed out all the deer blood and fur - then pressure tested it.

As far as his jeans - he soaked them overnight and then washed them the next day, I think he used baking soda in the soaking water and some laundry soap. As far as leathers? I think I would take them to a professional and have them cleaned? Maybe some saddle soap and water will do the trick?

I jumped off my bike, and ran over to his, picked it up and got it off the road, and pushed it over to a turn off area. He was stiing on the side of the road a little dazed. He was all hopped up on adreniline and I thought he might go into shock so I loaded him onto the back of my bike and took him to the hospital in the next town. The State patrol had his bike towed away so we had to ride two up all the way home. The next weekend we went and got his bike and began repairs, it was a brand spanking new 02 VTEC too! To look at it now you would never know. He still has the old fairing in his garage with bits of Deer fur stuck in the cracks.

Would you mind telling us what type of Joe Rocket gear he was wearing? Leather, perforated leather, ballistic nylon, goretex? It would be nice to know what to avoid in a future purchase, you can't allways trust magazine reports, but first hand unbiased opinions are invaluable. And my little two cents, please do not ride with jeans, unless they are designed for riding, jeans do not protect you (don't ask me how I know)

Thank you.

• Member Contributer

Soak the affected area in Coca-Cola. Trust me, this stuff will eat blood like you would not believe. Some counties use it to clean blood off of the road at accident scenes.

Hydrogen peroxide will take out blood. For your jeans, put them in a wash tub and soak them with a bit of laundry soap and some peroxide. For the jacket, dab it on, and let it sit. It will bubble up and come off when you wipe it.

+2 on the "throw jeans" statement. Or just keep 'em for working on the bike. Buy another pair, and make 'em Kevlar jeans!! Count your lucky stars it wasn't you hittin' the deer!! The only downside to Hydrogen Peroxide is it might give your jeans a somewhat punk-wash look (doesn't it whiten clothes like bleach?)

+2 on the "throw jeans" statement. Or just keep 'em for working on the bike. Buy another pair, and make 'em Kevlar jeans!! Count your lucky stars it wasn't you hittin' the deer!! The only downside to Hydrogen Peroxide is it might give your jeans a somewhat punk-wash look (doesn't it whiten clothes like bleach?)

No, it won't normally whiten anything. The only thing you might notice immediately is that sometimes it will make the fabric seem a bit rougher. I use this technique all the time. My son is famous for getting nosebleeds and getting it on everything in the house. I umm, kind of learned this trick from a woman to get blood out of clothing.....

Later,

Jeff

• Member Contributer

+1 on the peroxide, it also can help clean up red wine stains. Don't heat or otherwise dry any fabric until the stain is gone, heat sets stains. You can also try an enzyme cleaner after dabbing the Hy-Perox on stubborn, dried stains.

Get a copy of Consumer Reports "How to Clean Practically Anything"

Very vivid description of the "deer wreck" :deer: I think my jeans are spattered too, now.... :goofy:

Another household product to get blood out is Cascade. My wife has sworn by it for years. Put your gear in the washer with a cup of Cascade, put it on heavy wash, then follow up with a normal wash cycle.

The bloody jeans and socks would go in the trash if they were mine. Nasty. :goofy:

If there's a bloody glove, keep that it might come in handy sometime. :goofy:

No, I did not go down since none of the carcase actually hit me. I just got totally drenched with blood and other ogre spraying from the Foreleg section of the deer. It was doe so there were no antlers, but it was a big one. It was big enough that I thought it was a male and kept looking to see what happened to its antlers, before I realized that it was only Doe.

The local farmer was a good sort of guy. When we stopped the first thing he asked and then kept asking was if I was okay. I mean he was mad that the deer had hit is truck, but his concern for my state came out first. Then we looked at the damage to his truck and dragged the foreleg section of the carcase off the road.

I tried washing the jeans one more time with less detergent, a lot of oxy clean and a bottle of peroxide.

They finally don't show spots, but they faded quite a bit. They definitely are not go to work jeans anymore.

The socks never recovered and got trashed with the long underwear.

The UA shorts came clean on the first soak.

The really lucky part of this is that 99.99% of the time I ride ATTGAT, but my riding pants broke the zipper. My wife had just started sewing in a new one the night before and was not done yet, so I had to ride into work in just my jeans.

It did make the point that I need to consider a good one piece suit.

• Member Contributer
If there's a bloody glove, keep that it might come in handy sometime.
Lee, you are downright EVIL!!!! Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! +1.gif

Archived