I Bought Used Tires And Am Scared To Ride Them

turtlecreek

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you mount these on your VFR?

• Yes
    • No

• Member Contributer

"That" was already on a new tire Dale...... :blink: .....you need to make a phone call...... :unsure:

• Member Contributer
I wouldn't worry if it sealed up, should be very little load on that spot IMO, but that's just me! :unsure: :blink:

I don't like the location....above the bead taper...... :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Looks as if someone cut the edge with a tire tool??? that portion of the tire is pretty safe from

the stress of operation...

I believe that used tires are never cost effective because the life may be already ridden out of

them and the history is unknown...

What's the date of manufacture on the tire???

• Member Contributer

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.....not worth the risk IMHO. Tires are the only thing between you and the ground and therefore should be taken care of (pressures checked religiously) and only used if they are in good condition.

I wouldn't worry if it sealed up, should be very little load on that spot IMO, but that's just me! :unsure: :blink:

Slap some silicon in the cut and ride, if the beads seat with no leaks it should not be an issue. :thumbsup:

Looks as if someone cut the edge with a tire tool??? that portion of the tire is pretty safe from

the stress of operation...

I believe that used tires are never cost effective because the life may be already ridden out of

What's the date of manufacture on the tire???

Seen that on car tires before. like busy little shop said, they should be ok. may leak slowly.

• Member Contributer

Slap some silicon in the cut and ride, if the beads seat with no leaks it should not be an issue. :thumbsup:

silicone for sure......keep it checked for the slow leak, that will be the issue.....not a "stress" problem....usually "slow leaks" though.......aggravating..... <_<

I've run both street and race tires(flipping) with chunks out of the bead area and as long as there's no cord damage and the tire seats it's never been an issue. If you mounted it up and it leaked air I would not run it.

i am not afraid of a slow leak. my concern is a blow out on the front. if you look at the first picture closly, you will see 'threads?' this is not just a rubber cut. there are fractures in the cord as well. it is a very small area and i have no issue watching it for future damage. i just dont want to mount it if this is a high risk area. sounds like it might be ok.

Only two tires on the ground. If that one goes, you are scrrrrrewed! I can see the headlines already. A GOOD TIME GONE BAD. Why take the chance? Just my opinion.

• Member Contributer

Nope. I wouldn't do it. My azz is worth more than any even potential tire defect or damage. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

+1 on that :thumbsup:

That cut looks sketchy, I don't like the looks of it. I'd recycle it. +1.gif

I've seen people to use "take offs" that saw a few test laps around a track, and show minimal wear.

I can see doing that, but I like new tires myself. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
i am not afraid of a slow leak. my concern is a blow out on the front. if you look at the first picture closly, you will see 'threads?' this is not just a rubber cut. there are fractures in the cord as well. it is a very small area and i have no issue watching it for future damage. i just dont want to mount it if this is a high risk area. sounds like it might be ok.

As long as the "set" air pressure stays close, not a high-stress area. If it leaks down to a low-seat-pressure point....now it becomes a stress area at the rim......on a car with 4 of em', I'd mount it and check for leakdown, and risk running it. On my bike with only 2 of em' and no "self-balancing-ability".......not my cup of tea. 'Course, I could just be old and senile for what it's worth........ +1.gif

Archived