Took The Wife Out For A Ride Today...

gallery_5444_2437_1236892.jpg

...and we had a lot of fun.

We don't get to go out together very often, being that we both work, and have a young son that we love to spend time with.

BUT, we also have this wonderful thing called grandparents, and boy are they grand! They took the little guy overnight for us so we could get an early start on doing some new road exploring today. In the past we've done a lot of our favorite mountain loop, or some points north. Today we broke out the map and decided to head south towards Ulster county.

Scenery was great today with the foliage really peaking, the weather was perfect with beautiful skies, and even the traffic was light! We found a couple nice roads that we'll definitely be back out on.

Being that elections are coming up, the world is going political and everywhere you go people have their lawns loaded with signs advertising their favorite politician. I could never get my head into politics, but if this sign is any indication, I'm running for Highway Superintendent!!! :beer:

10-21-2007014.jpg

:lol:

I turned around from taking the pic and Jess wanted hers taken too...

gallery_5444_2437_23588.jpg

Jessie's ready! Stopping for a pic on Cauterskill rd.

We headed south on route 9W(nothing exiting) then onto a new-to-us section of 32, which turned out to be pretty nice with lots of sweepers. We planned to leave 9W for to head south on Route 24, which runs along the Hudson River, but I missed the turnoff and we continued south to head west on route 16/Old Post Road. What a nice road! Decent pavement and nice tight stuff, even some decreasing turns, and the foliage was great. The sweet autumn smell of ripe leaves, wet grass and dirt, and rubber(!) almost put us in sensory overload, so we had to stop for pics. :rolleyes:

gallery_5444_2437_1277100.jpg

Sweet spot on 16... Great foliage in October, in NY.

gallery_5444_2437_172992.jpg

Mmm, leafy. Route 16 in Ulster County. Shhh!!!!!!

gallery_5444_2437_1236892.jpg

Calendar material? Well?!?

FYI, I laid in the road for a couple minutes to get those, and not a single car passed. Granted, it was Sunday afternoon, but still...

From there we cut over to route 213, another new-to-us road, and another nice one. For cruising anyway. We saw the most traffic of the day there (which still wasn't bad), and views were nice. We really should have taken some pics when we got to Marbletown/Stone Ridge historic area, but didn't. A whole town with old stone and wood buildings, very nice. Next time!

We had to hop on route 209 to continue north on 213, which brought us back to familiar territory, to the town of Olivebridge and route 28A. 28A is one of my favorite roads in the area, it wiggles and squiggles around the Ashokan reservoir and occasionally gives you a peek at the mountains and the water along the way. Just watch for deer!

While traveling 28A, you have the option of viewing the reservoir from part of the man-made dyke that keeps the water out of Oliverea and the buildings of the NYC Department of Waterworks. The view from the dyke and the causeway is amazing, especially this time of year. Rumor is that when the water gets low enough you can see the church steeple of one of the towns that was moved when the reservoir was commissioned.

Looking down on the NYC-DOW buildings, the fountain below is fed by water pressure from the reservoir.

10-21-2007034.jpg

Turned 180 degrees to look at the causeway:

10-21-2007033.jpg

gallery_5444_2437_506224.jpg

Artsy shot at the Ashokan Reservoir Low water level and great mountain views. If the water gets low enough you can see a church steeple poking out, from one of the old towns under the water.

gallery_5444_2437_95006.jpg

Jess and I at the Ashokan Reservoir. October 21st 2007

We finished our conversation with the guy who took our picture for us, and got back to 28A to hit some more twisty stuff, and we took a shortcut past the former site of West Hurley(the original town is now underwater), to get to route 28 and the Baby Gap(see the Fall Ride in the Catskills Report for more info on that gem!).

A short jaunt through Wierdstock(Woodstock,NY), got us on some more somewhat-new-to-us roads, being routes 33 and 35 bringing us back north and closer to a quick run up route 23A, my favorite mountain twisty road. A quick visit with a friend back at the base and we were off for home.

What a great day of fun we had! I dunno if I can wait till spring to learn these roads more, I'll be back! :salesman:

ps- just so you fine folks aren't led to believe that our son got the short end of the stick... we made it up to him when we got back...

He just loves making 'grumpy pumpkins'! :D

10-21-2007010.jpg

Happy fall riding everybody! :thumbsup:

Nice pics...how did you get such as cute looking kid? :beer:

I have a hot wife, what can I say?? :goofy: Her beauty negates my influence, lol.

NO SNOW!!!! Tomorrow is supposed to get into the low 80's, we're on course for a "top ten warmest October" up here, I'm hoping it carries through to December like last year... :rolleyes:

Nice pics. Must be fall. Pretty colored leaves on the ground there.

Pretty but nasty flames dancing in the hills here. :rolleyes:

Pretty but nasty flames dancing in the hills here. :beer:

Great pics Seb but you know everyone saved them and is trying to zoom in on your wife. :goofy:

Lee I hope you aren't too close to the flames. That some scary shiite. :rolleyes:

Great pics Seb but you know everyone saved them and is trying to zoom in on your wife. :beer:

That's why I uploaded them to VFRD, it automatically takes my huge 1600x1200 pic and makes it into an itty-bitty 640x480. Ha! :P

Not that she's looking her best after 100+ miles in a tight helmet anyway... :rolleyes:

FLYONWALL, you're welcome.

Lee, I thought the flames danced in San Francisco?? Oh, you mean FIRE... watch out for that! Drink lots so you can pee one out if you have to!

• Member Contributer

Nice stuff Seb,sorry we didn't hook up,but it was one of those special days,(low 70's not a cloud in the sky) up here that are great to spend with the SO.i'm sure you'll remember it for a while. :rolleyes: Im bummed my girlfriend was out of town.

Nice stuff Seb,sorry we didn't hook up,but it was one of those special days,(low 70's not a cloud in the sky) up here that are great to spend with the SO.i'm sure you'll remember it for a while. :rolleyes: Im bummed my girlfriend was out of town.

Next time, Mike, next time. There will be more days like this! :beer:

So help me.... If I hear you slip the Calendar Selection Committee $20..!...!.. I think begging your way onto the calendar should not be allowed. I move for immediate disqualification of this photo.

The leaves make for pretty photos. I hate driving on them. I swear, a couple of years ago I took a turn at the end of my street and both wheels slid out. The front stepped out a good 8-10 inches, the rear walked an inch or two. Who knows how it caught again? Watch out for them leaves.

Grandparents are a godsend.

Nice post SEB.

• Member Contributer

Great pics SEB........Route 16 looks like my kind of riding. Beautiful scenery + 2-up with the wife is always great.......... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Nice one Seb!!! :thumbsup:

Fall has arrived here as well, with associated colors and shapes..... took a long walk through the forest yesterday (my wife doesnot ride pillion anymore)

HPIM0245.jpg

HPIM0277.jpg

HPIM0255.jpg

Seb,

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're making me jealous. This morning's ride to work was a comfortable 46 degrees! Tomorrow is supposed to be 37. Hoping to take the wife out and see some of the fall colors but no luck. Wind and cold snap has made it hard to get it together. Great pics though!!!! Thanks for sharing. I hope to get down that way and experience some of that beautiful scenery!!!

Seb,

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're making me jealous. This morning's ride to work was a comfortable 46 degrees! Tomorrow is supposed to be 37. Hoping to take the wife out and see some of the fall colors but no luck. Wind and cold snap has made it hard to get it together. Great pics though!!!! Thanks for sharing. I hope to get down that way and experience some of that beautiful scenery!!!

Where are you from? My ride in to work today was 42 degrees...

Seb,

Where are you from? My ride in to work today was 42 degrees...

Central Iowa. You know, the place with hardly any curvy road.

Nice pics ..

We just had a little son too, and can't wait for the next longish trip with the wife. The last one, was to Yosemite and was too much fun ..

BTW .. how many people here have thought about living trusts and other things like that. Trying to be a responsible parent and not be too worried on the bike :-)

PS: maybe it is just me, but I read the title of the thread completely differently :rolleyes:

PS: maybe it is just me, but I read the title of the thread completely differently :rolleyes:

Hey now... this is a motorcycle forum after all! :goofy:

Besides, why would I take her 'out' for that?? :lol:

• Member Contributer
Looks like it is prime time for fall colors up there.....which means your first snowfall is coming up.

Nice pics...how did you get such as cute looking kid? :pissed:

Didn't get snow till late January last year.Unlikely to happen this year,but usually dont see any significant snow till late Dec.Lotsa great ridin left this season.

Looks like it is prime time for fall colors up there.....which means your first snowfall is coming up.

Nice pics...how did you get such as cute looking kid? :rolleyes:

Didn't get snow till late January last year.Unlikely to happen this year,but usually dont see any significant snow till late Dec.Lotsa great ridin left this season.

Next week is looking cool, but nice! :thumbsup:

Next week is looking cool, but nice! :thumbsup:

Huh.

We've got some warm(ish) weather here today, which means it'll be winter again tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Well - it did snow in some parts of the country this week. :rolleyes:

Nice pix and ride report, Seb. Thanks for sharing them! Nice roads, too. I'll have to keep an eye on VFRD for rides in your area.

The leaves make for pretty photos. I hate driving on them. I swear, a couple of years ago I took a turn at the end of my street and both wheels slid out. The front stepped out a good 8-10 inches, the rear walked an inch or two. Who knows how it caught again? Watch out for them leaves.

Grandparents are a godsend.

Lots of leaves falling here now, so I've been more alert to their presence on the roads, and taking corners a little slower. Of course, that's also due to tires taking longer to warm up in the colder air, too.

My wife won't ride with me (yet), but just about every time my mom comes to visit for a couple days my bride and I get a "date night" while Grammy watches our boys. Grandparents rule!

BTW .. how many people here have thought about living trusts and other things like that. Trying to be a responsible parent and not be too worried on the bike :-)

No living trust, but my wife upped my life insurance after I started riding, and I'm glad she did. Gives us both a little more peace of mind.

Archived