Birthday Trip To Texas Hill Country

• Member Contributer

P8100016.jpg

So, my 25th birthday was on August 10, and my fiancee Vic decided to take me (or rather, let me take her) on a bike trip down to Hill Country. We had a great time and took a few pics, so here goes...

Day 1

Packed up and ready to leave Fort Worth at 7:30 Friday morning

P8100001.jpg

Heading south with the sun to the east

P8100003.jpg

Somewhere on 1047, north of Lometa

P8100005.jpg

When people leave buildings behind... the horses take over. 3 of 'em, trying to keep out of the sun.

P8100007.jpg

Enchanted Rock State Park, north of Fredericksburg. Supposedly the site of human sacrifices, way back in the day...

P8100008.jpg

Wine tasting in Fredericksburg

P8100010.jpg

We bought a bottle. Vic was excited about this.

P8100009.jpg

Stopped off in Luckenbach. This has got to be the coolest little town ever. Seriously, how many places can you think of that have a bar (no, not a bar. a SALOON) in their post office building? With a couple of old-timers chilling around outside strumming tunes for whoever wants to sit and listen while catching some shade under century-old oak trees? I read a quote... "Luckenback is a place that you never want to return to after you've visited once, because you're afraid it might have changed."

P8100011.jpg

P8100013.jpg

Scenic overlook on 337 between Medina and Vanderpool

P8100016.jpg

Arrived at the D'Rose Inn, in Leakey. Great little place to stay when visiting hill country. It's a motorcyclist/bicylist only inn... they won't give you a room if you're not riding something. No TVs in the rooms, just a central pavillion area where everyone congregates to talk story, chill, and eat. Its something to experience.

P8100018.jpg

Day 2

Saturday was spent exploring the area and trying to hit up every worthwhile road we could find. We started early in the morning by heading up 336 from Leakey. A pretty fun road, not as technical as 337, mainly alot of fast sweepers as the road follows a high ridgeline. It runs through open range, so you get to see alot of random animals, like a flock of sheep grazing alongside the road (that ran away before we could get a pic).

Driveway entrance off of 336

P8110030.jpg

P8110029.jpg

Headed across on 41 and then down 335 to Camp Wood. There is only one way to describe 335: ROLLERCOASTER. If you get seasick easily, this is not the road for you... but if you can handle it, it is a blast. Up and down and up and down, cresting blind hills and feeling weightless before accelerating down the other side and nearly bottoming out the suspension at the trough and rocketing up the other side... WOOHOO! Of course, the downside to cresting blind hills at extralegal speeds is that you might find something unexpected on the other side, such as a slow moving vehicle, law enforcement officer, or a piece of roadkill covered with 30+ huge vultures that scatter as you tear down the road towards them, full on the brakes, ducking and praying that you'll come out unscathed as you barrel through a maelstrom of black wings and bodies flapping all around you and you just want to close your eyes but you have to see where you're going and you finally come to a stop at the crest of the next hill, not breathing, heart racing, and silly fiancee on the back LAUGHING HER FREAKIN HEAD OFF and babbling about "bowling for buzzards" or somesuch crap from "The Lion King." Um, yeah. Care to guess which of those three options we encountered?

P8120055.jpg

Random exotic game ranch along 335... Kangaroos, camels, and ibex

P8120050.jpg

P8120049.jpg

Breakfast at BJ's in Camp Wood

P8110031.jpg

Parked outside BJ's. Old vs New.

P8110032.jpg

Headed back across 337 to Vanderpool, then north on 187 to the motorcycle museum. Water crossings everywhere, but nearly all of them were low enough so as not to cross the road.

P8100017.jpg

Contemplating our next purchase--a 1916 Royal Enfield sidecar rig?

P8110033.jpg

Artsy shot by Vic of a Vincent Black Night

P8110034.jpg

After the museum, north to Hunt, where we found... Stonehenge!??!

P8110037.jpg

P8110039.jpg

Then south to Medina, where we stopped at an apple orchard and had some fudge, and picked up a bag of apple coffee. No review on that yet.

P8110041.jpg

Then on to Bandera, where we ate at OST, a really cool joint with a whole room dedicated to a fellow Trojan alum, John Wayne. Can't belive I didn't get any pictures of that place. Oh well, next time! Finally, back to Leakey via Tarpley and Utopia.

Day 3

Ready to head out from D'Rose Sunday morning. Sing with me: "Which one of these is not like the others?"

P8120044.jpg

P8120043.jpg

Headed west on 337 towards Camp Wood

P8120046.jpg

Headed up 335 (had to do that rollercoaster one more time!) we came across two things you don't normally find in DFW: wild turkeys, and 35mph curves.

P8120056.jpg

Shiny!

P8120059.jpg

Blasting up 377

P8120061.jpg

A picture of a reflection of a shadow of us. Got that?

P8120069.jpg

Gas station in Telegraph, just south of Junction

P8120066.jpg

Last trip we took, we went to Paris. This time it was a UK theme - London and Dublin!

P8120070.jpg

P8120078.jpg

This is where they send your bike if you spend too much time at 120+. Whoops.

P8120073.jpg

Cool story about an old oak tree in downtown Comanche

P8120076.jpg

Stopped off at Hard 8 BBQ in Stephenville for some lunch, then on to home! 940 miles later... what a great trip!

P8120079.jpg

, and silly fiancee on the back LAUGHING HER FREAKIN HEAD OFF and babbling about "bowling for buzzards" or somesuch crap from "The Lion King." Um, yeah. Care to guess which of those three options we encountered?

You lucky Buggah! Your fiancee gets it! She looks light as a feather and probably is a real natural passenger if she's all giggles and relaxed going through the fun stuff... :pissed: :thumbsup:

When's she getting her OWN bike? :salesman:

Random exotic game ranch along 335... Kangaroos, camels, and ibex

P8120050.jpg

HEY!!! :unsure: One of those Joeys looks like the one Riot Grrrl was supposed to send me! <_< :beer:

Happy Quarter Century, ya young pup!

(Oh... at least your LADY is cute!!!) :lol:

• Member Contributer

Fantastic write-up and pics.....Congrats on a great birthday................. :thumbsup: :unsure:

Thanks for the report and pics. Being from Texas myself, those pics sure did bring back some pleasant memories of riding the hill country.

There used to be some pretty fun roads around Austin and College Station we ran, years ago.

If you can make it out to Ft. Davis and Big Bend N.P. (when it cools down), you will enjoy that ,too.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the comments, all. We did have a really fun time, and yes, Vic is a keeper :thumbsup: She's a great passenger, most of the time it doesn't even feel like she's there. She does have her limits, though... by the end of each of the three days, she was definitely about ready to hop off the bike. I actually wanted to hop in one of the river crossings to cool off after we got back to Leakey on Saturday, and she was like "Uh uh, I'm not getting back on your bike today!" Hehe... not that I'm complaining too much. Again, thanks for the comments, and HS, thanks for the move to the feature forum. I'm flattered!

• Member Contributer

Ha Aussies are everywhere lol! I didn't expect to see that in a Texas ride report.

Not only is she a keeper cause she rides with you.... she also packs light... the two of you and just the topbox wow. Looks like a great ride.

• Member Contributer
Ha Aussies are everywhere lol! I didn't expect to see that in a Texas ride report.

Not only the 'roos, but the owner of the motorcycle museum is also from Oz. Their cafe's signature dish is Aussie meat pies... they looked great, but we were still full from breakfast. More excuses to go back! :thumbsup:

Not only is she a keeper cause she rides with you.... she also packs light... the two of you and just the topbox wow. Looks like a great ride.

Gawd, I wish I could pack like her. A week's worth of her t-shirts take up as much room as one or two of mine. Damn tiny people!

Yes happy belated b-day, mine is the same day and your the same age as me. Those are some of the very same roads I love riding, but that must be a haul from Ft Worth. I usually ride from San Antonio. I try to get my fiancee on the bike more often. I have the stock hardbags, but I was looking at your top case, what kind is that? My fiancee said she likes the looks of that back pad.

• Member Contributer
Yes happy belated b-day, mine is the same day and your the same age as me. Those are some of the very same roads I love riding, but that must be a haul from Ft Worth. I usually ride from San Antonio. I try to get my fiancee on the bike more often. I have the stock hardbags, but I was looking at your top case, what kind is that? My fiancee said she likes the looks of that back pad.

Well cool, happy belated birthday to you too!

The topcase is a Givi E460. It's just big enough to hold 2 helmets side-by-side, and easily big enough to pack for a quick weekend getaway (provided you don't go overboard in the packing). However, I don't think the mounting rack is compatable with the stock Honda hardbags. There is an OEM topcase available that goes with the hardbags, but I'm not sure where to purchase it. Putting a backrest on it would be easy, though--just order the Givi one, drill two holes in the proper locations, and screw on.

Archived