Central Utah

Guest awlittle

Guest awlittle

P1010060.jpg

Central Utah Ride Report

I've been meaning to type this up for the past weekend.but I didn't. I've got to say that Utah makes Arizona its redheaded stepchild when it comes to just about all aspects of riding (except for the availability of liquor). Utah seems to combine Sedona red rock views (just larger) with snowy mountains, pine forest, and great expanses of desert in a single vista. I’m not going to make an expansive report, just a few picks of different areas.

Stats: 4 days

1464 miles

Max Elevation 9684

2 nights camping

1 painful experience in altitude sickness

Here is the route:

http://maps.yahoo.com/index.php#q19=cc&amp...1644&mag=10

Bryce Canyon is bizarre and amazing to behold. I took about 50 pics of this place. Every time you moved your eyes you see a new detail. As it was said by Ebenezer Bryce a hell of a place to lose a cow. By the way- 8000 ft elevation + drinking + back country hike with 1000 ft evaluation change = pain.

Escalante

P1010124.jpg

P1010137.jpg

Nebo loop was closed because of a snow but I got a few pics on the way up.

P1010101.jpg

Somewhere in Utah...

P1010109.jpg

Glenn Recreational Area over looking Lake Powell. Monument Valley can be seen in the distance. It is about 120-150 miles away.

P1010172.jpg

This federal highway turned into an 1100 ft drop in three miles, gravel, switchback, goat trail from hell. No research ever showed this highway as being in crap condition. It seems like it was paved at some time. This is the most desolate place in the continental United States.

P1010177.jpg

This is at the bottom of the 1100 ft gravel, goat trail, drop on hwy 261 (maybe or 31?)

P1010186.jpg

Monument Valley

P1010195.jpg

More Bryce Canyon

P1010039.jpg

P1010019.jpg

Utah definitely offers some astounding views.

This is Lunar Mesa (I think). I'm used to desert living but this was a bizarre place with absolutely no vegatation for large stretches. The soil makes the fake Moon Landing actually seem plausible. Weird. I couldn't pull over and get a good shot because of the soil and no road shoulder, so you guys get stuck with this picture.

Lunar Mesa:

P1010142.jpg

More Bryce Canyon:

P1010039.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice pics aw, these areas you visited have to be my favorites and I plan on doing it again soon. Central and southern Utah has about everything you'd see anywhere in the world but its bottled up in a small area. The alcohol issues are quite funny actually, I must say I enjoy finding out new rules when I get to em.

BTW I believe I saw you at a restaurant/gas station at the junction right outside of Bryce. It would of been Thursday 26th April around 10ish

Ran out of vfr allotted disk space...so no pics of monument valley or Lunar Mesa.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, nice pics indeed! Do you hit Zion? My personal favorite in the National park system. Fun roads on the North part of the park.

Aussieinusa,

Indeed, that was me probably me! I saw a few BMWs drive by but must have missed you.

Quicknick,

I didn't hit Zion this time, but I went there my first night on the way to Alaska last August. Cool place.

BTW-I noticed that tar snakes in Utah can really make the bike slide, almost had to change undies at one point. Seemed the tar snakes were especially vicious. I've never had issues with them before. Any ideas?

• Member Contributer
Aussieinusa,

Indeed, that was me probably me! I saw a few BMWs drive by but must have missed you.

Quicknick,

I didn't hit Zion this time, but I went there my first night on the way to Alaska last August. Cool place.

BTW-I noticed that tar snakes in Utah can really make the bike slide, almost had to change undies at one point. Seemed the tar snakes were especially vicious. I've never had issues with them before. Any ideas?

Well, if they're like the ones in Colorado I'd say that your assessment is correct. Especially vicious. I think the ones here are extra thick so when they heat up they get extra slippery. I don't know why they pour them thick out here instead of just filling the crack and scraping the excess off. Maybe they use some kind of oil in their preparation. Who knows. Tar snakes can turn a fun road into a whitel knuckle experience.

awesome pics. bryce canyon looks totally wild, and wierd. it's on the list of places to see.

i drove through the outback in australia, looks like similar terrain.

thanx for sharing your ride pics.

Just use the "Insert Image" link, and use the URL provided by Photobucket.

I love the scenery in Utah, so amazing and it changes so fast. I miss those roads now that I am in Texas.....flat as far as the eye can see, even without smog!

Open Photobucket in one window, and VFRD in another. Under the pic you want to insert into your reply, click on the IMG Link bar, this will automatically copy for you. Switch over to VFRD, and right click, paste into the reply box. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Makes me want to go back to Utah and the North Rim of Grand Canyon.

Utah is great for the roads but the view is the tops. I spent one day just driving around Arches and hiking. Easy with no gear to take off and going 20MPH. <_<

Thanks a bunch!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Great pictures!! Utah definitely has a lot of amazing scenery to offer...from stunning canyons and desert landscapes to alpine vistas.

100_1564.jpg

100_1571.jpg

100_1569.jpg

:thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Central Utah Ride Report

I've been meaning to type this up for the past weekend.but I didn't. I've got to say that Utah makes Arizona its redheaded stepchild when it comes to just about all aspects of riding (except for the availability of liquor). Utah seems to combine Sedona red rock views (just larger) with snowy mountains, pine forest, and great expanses of desert in a single vista. I’m not going to make an expansive report, just a few picks of different areas.

1464 miles

Max Elevation 9684

2 nights camping

Here is the route:

I'm curious, how were fuel stops planned? Did you need to plan to the point of ensuring you could make the distance to the next town or are there enough stops along the way to cover most of the trip without much worry?

Central Utah Ride Report

1464 miles

Max Elevation 9684

2 nights camping

Here is the route:

I'm curious, how were fuel stops planned? Did you need to plan to the point of ensuring you could make the distance to the next town or are there enough stops along the way to cover most of the trip without much worry?

Depends on how much you worry. :rolleyes:

I think the longest we went was around 150 miles, maybe more. We had a guy with an 2001 Bandit that was fine if that helps you judge the fuel stops. You certainly don't skip gas stations in certain parts of Utah. Although it was in AZ that we had to reroute on the way and take a more direct route Page, AZ because we hadn't stopped at the last station.

We looked into it before the trip and on the VFR you have no worries.

• Member Contributer

AMS on a motorcycle.... never thought about that one...

Nice pics, aw. I have been on 70 over to 15 and back a couple of times in a van. Ha! This blog sure makes me want to retrace your route. Maybe no hiking, though. Bring my own booze, sounds like.

You can buy booze in Utah but you have to go to the State run liquor store. I nearly had a panic attack when I realized we had crossed into Utah without a handle of Jim Beam, however after asking for some directions and receiving some advice on the evils of alcohol consumption from a grocery store teller, we were directed to this place:

P1010001.jpg

What you can't see in the picture is the Sheriff's Office, City police, tow company, city prosecutor, city attorney and judge's office are all within spitting distance of one another. Must be the most convenient place in America to get a DUI.

Brought back some sweet memories of growing up in a dry county in North Georgia.

Well, for better or worse my formative years were spent in a wet Co. in Arkansas. How is tent camping on a bike? I have always wanted to do that, but work, family and life seems to have gotten in the way. Maybe when my 6 yr. old has a few more years under her belt, we can give it a shot.

Tent camping off the bike is great. Although it takes up a lot of room, it really adds to the sense of adventure when riding. Nothing is better than sitting around a campfire with the bikes in the background, BSing about the events of the day and passing around some drink. Instead of watching motel TV: you setup camp, build a fire, cook a meal, look at the stars, etc.; of course every third day or so its really nice to lay in a bed, watch TV, and take a shower.

You almost always meet VERY interesting people when camping.

• Member Contributer
Well, for better or worse my formative years were spent in a wet Co. in Arkansas. How is tent camping on a bike? I have always wanted to do that, but work, family and life seems to have gotten in the way. Maybe when my 6 yr. old has a few more years under her belt, we can give it a shot.

Tent camping adds some flavor to any trip. I camped right in Bryce a couple of years ago but I like eating out, which you can do at the entrance to the Park. Great thing about Byrce is that is it high and mostly cool even in the summer. In late May it was 37 in the morning but it is a "Dry Cold"! <_<

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon can also be added to this trip. Again cool! And the views are even better.

Wonder why it is so cool?

med_gallery_2144_2341_204791.jpg

Moab is hotter and this is when a motel works for me. 50/50 camping/motels is what I shoot for.

I think cooking stuff/food is too much crap to carry on the VFR or for that matter any bike even my Wing.

Best option for me is setup camp and then walk to chow. Or better yet bum from another camper/friends cause you look so helpless and hundgry.

This tent size works - Yosemite this year

med_gallery_2144_2004_1727519.jpg

The support team and facility - no charge for parking

med_gallery_2144_2004_72128.jpg

Archived