Central Utah

Guest awlittle

+1 to comments about bike camping. I rarely stay in motels. Backpacking gear makes it easy to carry everything you need to be comfortable and dry, and it's easy to cook at least some of your meals in camp. That means the cost of extended trips is substantially reduced. Mostly, though, I enjoy relaxing in camp after a long day of riding, enjoying a campfire, and meeting other folks.

Great pictures. Only ridden Utah once and hope to make it back on an extended trip this fall.

• Member Contributer
Bonus,

Do you have any pics of the north rim? I still haven't seen the GC from that side.

But you are so close!!

Opens mid May most years. This was the first day open in 2005 - timing perfect.

2774740230099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Worth a trip for sure espeically if you add on a clockwise tour of Utah thereafter (89,12,24 and Moab). I was in and out in a couple of hours as we had miles to go till Bryce for the night.

Only the Main Lodge for facilities but the view is great and the beer cold.

2717161100099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

My photos suck but I was there.........

2319744940099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

2002344080099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Milesbandit,

Your right about the cost, great point. I did the Utah trip for well under $400.

Thanks Bonus. I know, I know, I live so close...yet it just hasn't worked into any of my trips yet. I've heard its a better view. Glad to see I'm not the only one dumb enough to not let pesky snow interfere with a well planned trip. :smile.gif:

Although your snow banks are more impressive than mine:

P1010135.jpg

• Member Contributer
Milesbandit,

Your right about the cost, great point. I did the Utah trip for well under $400.

Thanks Bonus. I know, I know, I live so close...yet it just hasn't worked into any of my trips yet. I've heard its a better view. Glad to see I'm not the only one dumb enough to not let pesky snow interfere with a well planned trip. :smile.gif:

P1010135.jpg

Snow is good unless it is on the street!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes great photos. Can you say Contrast? :thumbsup:

What are all those V4s?

med_gallery_2144_2004_80329.jpg

Most photos do little justice to the beauty of the Big Ditch but we try. Yes - I think it is even more spectacular from the North Rim.

My summary - the NR is a better place for a romantic weekend not a long term stay for a couple of guys seeing it all on a budget! Next time I will try to camp at the NR or bring my bride and stay at the lodge. :rolleyes:

To do the North Rim/Utah loop right you need at least a week I think. If you have a tight schedule you just blow/ride thru too much!

Heck I spent a whole day in Arches alone!!!

med_gallery_2144_2760_366634.jpg

Milesbandit,

P1010135.jpg

You pack like I do! Never been known to travel light. lol Our yellow VFRs look like pack mules. What's amazing is how well they still handle with all that added weight.

One thing I do with all that money I save is buy more gear.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Milesbandit,

Its a freakin' disorder!..."well there's still room in that bag, hmmm....gotta be something else that would be useful.."

I tried to reverse the process in Utah and didn't take my top case...that was stupid. I really try and pack lighter, of course that means I just sacrifice clean clothes b/c I'm never leaving a doohicky thingamagigger at home.

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the comments guys.

Milesbandit,

Its a freakin' disorder!..."well there's still room in that bag, hmmm....gotta be something else that would be useful.."

I tried to reverse the process in Utah and didn't take my top case...that was stupid. I really try and pack lighter, of course that means I just sacrifice clean clothes b/c I'm never leaving a doohicky thingamagigger at home.

Ok what the H do you carry in there?

Well...tent and sleeping bag now reside in rafting bag strapped to bike, but I didn't have the bag or givi's back then. From what I can remember: GPS, smokes, phone, phone charger, lighters, waterproof matches, batteries, lantern, cooking gear, food, water, whiskey, rain gear, ipod, extra rags, knife, bungies, maps, extra gloves, tools, flat tire kit, plexus, extra faceshield, clothes, need space to lock up jacket/helmet or carry something to secure them to the bike, camping chair...the snowy pic was my first camping trip so I went a little overboard. I'm getting leaner and meaner though...:thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Well...tent and sleeping bag now reside in rafting bag strapped to bike, but I didn't have the bag or givi's back then. From what I can remember: GPS, smokes, phone, phone charger, lighters, waterproof matches, batteries, lantern, cooking gear, food, water, whiskey, rain gear, ipod, extra rags, knife, bungies, maps, extra gloves, tools, flat tire kit, plexus, extra faceshield, clothes, need space to lock up jacket/helmet or carry something to secure them to the bike, camping chair...the snowy pic was my first camping trip so I went a little overboard. I'm getting leaner and meaner though...:thumbsup:

How about the Raft?

Haven't been carrying a raft ...though it could come in handy if I needed to ford a river. Picked up an REI rafting bag (thick rubber)for $35 that has really been very handy and is a very light way to waterproof sleeping bag (bag for it ripped), tent, and camping chair.

Dang, I had this and lost it. How do I get a picture from photo bucket into my album? Somebody linked me to a post with great directions and I can't find it.

But wait! Maybe I found it.

IMG_0109.jpg

If this worked, I'll have a picture of me traveling lite.

River bags are great. If you stack enough of them on your bike, it will float.

Yeah, that's a different way than I learned the first time, but it posts the photo and you don't have to take up VFRD space in your gallery. I just followed these directions

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29599

to link to photo bucket.

Lost twins?

P1010109.jpg

Looks like!

You need a bigger tank bag. Mine's adapted from a steamer trunk.

Also, you dropped your hanky.

Speaking of Beemers, I'm leaving tomorrow for the Oregon BMW rally in John Day. Should be about 800 folks up there, including a fair number of us on Brand Xs.

Schools out. Weather looks great. Roads are fast. Whoo hoo! Let the games begin.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived