Texas Vfr Meet October 18th - 21st

dutchinterceptor

• Member Contributer

FINAL UPDATE

Date: October 18th - October 21st (Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun)

Rally Point: Whitten Inn

Reservations: 877-896-1511

Address: 2127 Sidney Baker Street, Kerrville, Texas 78028

Directions: Map

I have 12 Two-Double Bed / Non-Smoking Rooms on the bottom floor reserved for $59 a night for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Tell Annette or one of the other ladies you are requesting one of the rooms for Michael Schroeder and VFRD and they'll take your cc info and switch it to your name.

This hotel has a pool and upon check-in you have a choice of a free beer, coke, or water. (Only 1 per person)

Who's Going?? (Let me know if I should pull or add your name) :blink:

gswanson

vandy91298

Nixx

James

vfrjim2002

hondalover

Hagios

VFARR

spud786

dutchinterceptor +1

Motofoto

Longhorn

csmhayden

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I was bored tonight so thought I would check rates on all the hotels in the area. The Whitten is the place we stayed last year and I guess it's really pretty decent. The girl I dealt with last time is still there and I might be able to talk her down some more if we commit to staying there. I just remembered that she gave us a free beer when we checked in last year. :thumbsup: All the places seem to be similarly priced with the exception of the Motel 6 and I've heard a couple of unfavorable comments about it. I would suggest the Whitten again but wanted to keep our options open. What do you folks think?

Does October 19th-22nd sound feasible to you guys? HS, would that work for you or are you stuck with the weekend of the 13th?

Whitten Inn: $70

D Rose Inn: $65-$140 (No TV's)

YO Resort: $80-$100

Inn Of The Hills: $89-$125

Motel 6: $56

Holiday Inn Express: $78-$105

Econo Lodge: $70-$125

Days Inn: $60-$90

Hampton Inn: $89-$109

Best Western: $90-$115

Comfort Inn: $105-$130

La Quinta: $97-$122

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I haven't been very active on the forums in a while, but you can count me in. I'll track this thread so I get any updates.

gallery_973_2168_121959.jpg

1st Annual VFRD Texas Ride, 2004

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Going through the thread, this is who I've come up with. Some of these guys are merely expressing interest and checking dates, not confirmed by any means.

DFW

vandy91298

ronimalvfr

sckego

brutus

ki-speed

Austin

RosscoB

Spud786

Nixx

G-money

armadillo

East Tx

dutchinterceptor

Houston

Sam Bel

San Antonio

Hagois

South Texas

fotomoto

vfrjim2002

Somewhere in Texas

rangerscott69

Other parts of the country

sondance - FL

hispanicslammer - CO

gswanson - OK

hondalover - MO

Lee2002 - KS

PS... the fiancee and I are headed down to Hill Country this weekend... if any of you guys down south have been in that area lately, could you please PM me and let me know of any adverse road conditions you might have run into? I'm not sure how the heavy rain treated the roads down there...

• Member Contributer

You said Dirty Sanchez!

I vote for Thurs thru Sun,but I'm flexible either way.

Last year we took aroute to the Hill Country that kept us away from the interstates,but not real twisty.

Got to the west side of Ft Worth and took 377 to 51 in Granbury.

51 to 67

67 to the Highway that runs to Hico

281 to Hamilton

2005 to Goldthwaite

16 to Kerrville with a stop in Llano for BBQ

Not the most fun route,but the fun starts the next day anyway,right.

• Member Contributer

I didn't run into any problems on my trip down there this past weekend. There were a handful of construction sites, but those were just 1-200' of loose gravel, mainly on a straight and level section of road, and well signed. No delays. The hilly bits had gravel in the corners here and there, but I'm pretty sure thats a fact of life in those parts... as long as you're not trying to drag a knee (and you shouldn't be, the chipseal road surface isn't all that grippy, and your two options in a crash are into the cliff wall or over the cliff edge) its easy to handle. We found water across the road in 2 places, out of probably 50 or so river crossings. No issues with sand or rocks around these areas... Didn't ride 187 between Utopia and Vanderpool, but 470 from Tarpley to Utopia was fine. I think the only place where there was an extended section where you'd want to keep your speed down was 187 from Vanderpool up to about Lost Maples, and when I say 'keep your speed down' I mean 50-60 instead of 90. All in all, the roads are in pretty good condition, and its possible to have alot of fun!

BTW, have people started making reservations or anything yet? I know the frontpage says the rally point is Whitten Inn (Kerrville, right?), so how does this work? Everybody make their own reservation? Tell them you're with the VFR group? I dunno, I've never been part of one of these things before...

• Member Contributer

I'm assuming the locals will be off on a ride Thurs, while the out-of-towners like myself (DFW) will be on their way down; vice-versa for Sunday. With that in mind, should we plan to ride some of the more popular roads in the area either Fri or Sat so newbie's like myself don't miss 'em? Or should we skip the popular roads because they are too popular on the weekends??

For anyone riding from DFW on Thurs:

I plan on riding down from Lewisville to SW of Fort Worth then down to Kerrville somewhat directly, while trying to explore some decent roads along the way. Looking at Streets and Trips, here are some thoughts/questions:

>Has anyone taken the 16 most of the way (from Comanche pretty much straight south to Kerrville)?

>590 Comanche to Zephyr looks like it might be fun

>281 is a little too straight and boring for me - would like to stay on more FM roads (did this once before)

>1030, 1031, 580 from San Saba all look interesting - anyone know these roads?

>965 or 2323 towards Fredericksburg?

>Not sure if I'll be able to get up early enough to make it out of the DFW mess before Thurs rush hour from Lewisville; may leave at 9 and plan on arriving at 4, 5, 6 - however long it takes...

>Anyone have a good GPS smile.gif If not, I may just buy one so I don't have to print 100 maps like I did last time...

choices, choices...

• 1 month later...
Who's Going?? (Let me know if I should pull or add your name)

gswanson

Sondance (Heal Quick Buddy!)

vandy91298

Nixx

James

vfrjim2002

hondalover

sckego

Hagios

VFARR

Hispanic Slammer

ronimalvfr

Lee2002

spud786

Chingadero

dutchinterceptor

Motofoto

I was going to try to meet up with a few of you on Friday, but I will not be able to make it back from New york in time. Saturday and Sunday I am riding a bicycle 150 mile from San Antonio to Corpus Christi for the Valero MS 150. Timing got me! Besides, Honda says my VFR (02-05 wire harness recall) is not safe to ride!!!!! Seems like that makes me want to ride more!!!! weeeeeeee... Isn't the danger part of the fun???!

Have fun and enjoy my back yard! The Motorcycle stop in Leakey has moved about a half a mile further west on 337. It is a nice stop and a great place to hasssle Harley riders if that is your cup of tea. Coyote Ranch on Hwy 16 is supossed to be a good MC stop as well. I have never seen any bikers there since I ride ealry on weekend mornings.

• Member Contributer
FINAL UPDATE

Date: October 18th - October 21st (Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun)

Rally Point: Whitten Inn

Reservations: 877-896-1511

Address: 2127 Sidney Baker Street, Kerrville, Texas 78028

Directions: Map

I have 12 Two-Double Bed / Non-Smoking Rooms on the bottom floor reserved for $59 a night for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Tell Annette or one of the other ladies you are requesting one of the rooms for Michael Schroeder and VFRD and they'll take your cc info and switch it to your name.

This hotel has a pool and upon check-in you have a choice of a free beer, coke, or water. (Only 1 per person)

Who's Going?? (Let me know if I should pull or add your name) :offtopic:

gswanson

Sondance

vandy91298

Nixx

James

vfrjim2002

hondalover

sckego

Hagios

VFARR

Hispanic Slammer

ronimalvfr

RosscoB

Lee2002

spud786

Chingadero

dutchinterceptor

Motofoto

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

It's officially October now! Guess we ought to talk about a route, huh?

Are there any worthy restaurants near Camp Wood, Barksdale, or Leakey?

I'm working on a Friday route that will hit the Sisters. Anybody want to handle Saturday's route? Personally, I'm content with riding the Sisters both days but then again as long as I'm riding I don't care where we go. Suggestions and recommendations are very welcome!

My mistake, it was 187 and 337 I was on , the old Kerrville road , its does also go south of I10 , but I havent been on it, just north of I10.

I mistakenly came across Old kerville road it running down I10 , but as I remember taking the exit you could turn left or right , but it may not go much of anywhere south of I10.

• Member Contributer

sckego

brutus

ki-speed

dutchinterceptor

DFWers, here's my preliminary route - as you can see, it's a mix of twisty and direct roads.

Hopefully the link works....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&...mp;z=9&om=1

This should take all day Thurs. I expect to leave my house in Lewisville after rush hour (9am-ish), and make it to Kerrville around 5-6pm, including plenty of breaks.

If other DFWers have a different route they would prefer, please let us all know - this is just a starting point....

Brian

p.s. my bike's in the shop - hopefully will hear good news today, otherwise.....

• Member Contributer
sckego

brutus

ki-speed

dutchinterceptor

DFWers, here's my preliminary route - as you can see, it's a mix of twisty and direct roads.

This should take all day Thurs. I expect to leave my house in Lewisville after rush hour (9am-ish), and make it to Kerrville around 5-6pm, including plenty of breaks.

If other DFWers have a different route they would prefer, please let us all know - this is just a starting point....

Brian

p.s. my bike's in the shop - hopefully will hear good news today, otherwise.....

What time do you think you'll be goin' through Comanche? We'll have to make a group decition, but HS (I think), gswanson, and myself will be coming down from the OKC area. Maybe we could meet you somewhere to ride the rest of the way to Kerrville. But, if you leave your house at 9ish, I'm thinkin' you'll be way ahead of us. Just throwin that out there.

• Member Contributer

hondalover,

That might actually work since I'll be taking a lot of breaks. I really don't know how long it will take to get down there - probably early afternoon, maybe 2ish? I assume you'll be taking a westerly route down around DFW?

• Forum CEO

Well guys I am out of this one as well, too many bills not enough cash, need new tires - new chain. Not enough in the budget. Thanks for the invite, the bills just keep piling up to stop me from doing this ride.

• Member Contributer
sckego

brutus

ki-speed

dutchinterceptor

Brian

Brian,

It looks like I'll be going more south than west and need to stop in at a friend's house along the way so I probably won't meet up with you DFW'ers till Kerrville.

Man, am I out of the loop. I have that weekend off , but that is my peak weekend before a damn triathlon . I have had major PC issues lately . My riding has taken a third seat behind a race canoe and a bicycle . I will try to get out and play some . I can do some route recommendation, but have not laid eyes on most of it lately .

Dude, where have you been hiding? Hope to see ya again!

• Member Contributer
Well guys I am out of this one as well, too many bills not enough cash, need new tires - new chain. Not enough in the budget. Thanks for the invite, the bills just keep piling up to stop me from doing this ride.

Nooo....I know what it is. You just don't want to ride through West Texas again!! :unsure:

I understand the bills though. This will definitely be my last ride for the year and next year is already looking slim.

Please take plenty of photos (maybe some video too) and post up.

I wish you all great times and safe riding (and only a few butterflies).

Oh, how I wish my work schedule was more flexible.

Maybe you can all come up here for my soon-to-be-annual "Goodland to Topeka" I-70 ride. 350 miles, with none of those annoying turns.

Hopefully we can all meet up at INDY in '08.

• Member Contributer
Maybe you can all come up here for my soon-to-be-annual "Goodland to Topeka" I-70 ride. 350 miles, with none of those annoying turns.

Oooh, THIS section of I-70 looks awsome!! :unsure:

Lots of photos will definitely be taken. :thumbsup:

Damn you. I was saving those two curves as a special surprise for the attendees. Now you've gone and ruined it.

Damn you. I was saving those two curves as a special surprise for the attendees. Now you've gone and ruined it.

Been there, done that. Wasn't anything special. :warranty:

• Member Contributer
Oooh, THIS section of I-70 looks awsome!! :rolleyes:

Lots of photos will definitely be taken. :thumbsup:

Speaking of... you got any thoughts about what route on what days yet?

Archived