Texas Vfr Meet October 18th - 21st

dutchinterceptor

Damn you. I was saving those two curves as a special surprise for the attendees. Now you've gone and ruined it.

Just to be clear... that was a joke. I never know what "smiley face" to put at the end.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
sckego

brutus

ki-speed

dutchinterceptor

DFWers, here's my preliminary route - as you can see, it's a mix of twisty and direct roads.

Hopefully the link works....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&...mp;z=9&om=1

This should take all day Thurs. I expect to leave my house in Lewisville after rush hour (9am-ish), and make it to Kerrville around 5-6pm, including plenty of breaks.

If other DFWers have a different route they would prefer, please let us all know - this is just a starting point....

Brian

p.s. my bike's in the shop - hopefully will hear good news today, otherwise.....

Update:

A few of us will be meeting at McDonalds just north of I-20 in Weatherford at 10:30am Thurs 10/18 for a mini-group ride down to Kerrville probably following the route in the above post. All are welcome.

Address and link:

2407 S MAIN

WEATHERFORD, TX 76086-6141

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&...=16&iwloc=A

Brian

Regrettably, I must pull out.... I don't see that there's going to be anyway for me to be in shape to make this ride... plus my viffer is totally wasted...

Thanks for putting this together and the invite. Everyone have a great time as I'm sure you will!!

Rob

I had every intention of going, but just got a veto.

My wife's grand mother is having her 95th birthday in Philly. Her health is not great so we feel like we have to be there.

On the other hand she did sign me up for the Freddie Spencer school in Oct 15th - 17th. I'll be going straight to Philly from Vegas.

• Member Contributer
Regrettably, I must pull out.... I don't see that there's going to be anyway for me to be in shape to make this ride... plus my viffer is totally wasted...

Thanks for putting this together and the invite. Everyone have a great time as I'm sure you will!!

Rob

Rob,

We're just glad you are able to let us know. Heal up, get that new bike and perhaps we'll see you next year about this time! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I doubt I'm going to make it, either. Not sure how many of you saw my post the other day, but I managed to ride the VFR off of a hillside on Mount Magazine. I don't have a left footpeg, and my left radiator is currently with my friend trying to get repaired. Even if the bike does make it back to rideable condition, my financee is SERIOUSLY freaked out about the fact that I crashed, even though I'm completely fine... and she's definitely not going to take kindly to the idea of me taking off for another sport-riding weekend so soon after. I'm still hoping it works out, but probably best to count me out for now. sad.gif

• Member Contributer

Reminder: If you haven't already, call to confirm/double-check your reservations (see first post for details)

I called and reserved a room a couple months ago, but they just wrote my name down - wasn't very official....

• Member Contributer

For those of you who like google maps or use Hagios's program for converting google maps to mapsource, here is your linky.

I didn't added the sight-seeing stops or the gas and lunch breaks.

• Member Contributer
For those of you who like google maps or use Hagios's program for converting google maps to mapsource, here is your linky.

I didn't added the sight-seeing stops or the gas and lunch breaks.

What are the road workers drinkin' down there??? Up here in DFW we keep all our lines nice and straight :goofy:

Kerrville forecast: (Pleeeeaaasseee let them be right for a change)

Thursday, Oct 18

High: 83 °F RealFeel®: 82 °F

Plenty of sunshine

Thursday Night, Oct 18

Low: 61 °F RealFeel®: 58 °F

Clear

Friday, Oct 19

High: 83 °F RealFeel®: 82 °F

Abundant sunshine

Friday Night, Oct 19

Low: 61 °F RealFeel®: 64 °F

Patchy clouds

Saturday, Oct 20

High: 86 °F RealFeel®: 85 °F

Very warm with sunshine and patchy clouds

Saturday Night, Oct 20

Low: 55 °F RealFeel®: 52 °F

Partly cloudy

Sunday, Oct 21

High: 72 °F RealFeel®: 68 °F

Partly sunny and cooler

Sunday Night, Oct 21

Low: 50 °F RealFeel®: 52 °F

• Member Contributer

Hell yeah!! Let the beautiful weather begin!!

OK, I've finally come up with a Saturday route that I hope will be suitable. Sorry for the delay.

Again, we'll play it by ear and decide that day as to where we stop for sightseeing.

Lunch is planned for a place called The Smokehouse BBQ in Camp Wood. There's also a Mexican food place that is supposed to be good. I've never been to either one but keep hearing good things from others.

2007HillcountryMeet-Saturday.jpg

• Member Contributer
Hell yeah!! Let the beautiful weather begin!!

OK, I've finally come up with a Saturday route that I hope will be suitable. Sorry for the delay.

Again, we'll play it by ear and decide that day as to where we stop for sightseeing.

Lunch is planned for a place called The Smokehouse BBQ in Camp Wood. There's also a Mexican food place that is supposed to be good. I've never been to either one but keep hearing good things from others.

Look like a great route Dutch, I think you've done an awesome job organizing this years ride (as well as last years). :thumbsup:

If you'd be interested in covering not quite as many of the same roads both days, I'd suggest 1888 and 473, both east of Kerrville. You can make a nice loop of it heading out of Fredricksberg to 1888 into Blanco, then 165/2325 into Wimberly, cut down 12 Till it hits 32, Take 32 west across the Devil's Backbone till you can split off on 473 heading back towards Kerrville (crossing 281). From there you can tap into 16 and, if you want, add in as much of 337 etc. to finish up (or start if going backwards) the ride. (Loop thru Vanderpool/187/39 and you're clocking in at 260mi. for the route).

Anything east of 281 is a fair bit more relaxed so it may not be as appealing to a number of the attendees and I haven't been out there in a year so I cant make any claims to road conditions. Just tossing it out there.

For what it's worth I hear 55 (just about my Favorite road out there) is really dull once you hit the top so you're Saturday ride looks best!

gallery_973_3405_10905.jpg

Hopefully the gas stops will work out assuming we have anybody show up on an RC or something with a small tank))))))))))

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!

thats what I luv about the VFR , that fuel range

• Member Contributer

Looks Like I'm in! Just spoke with Molly at Whitten Inn and she had room for me however my plans are a little diffrent. Will head down Saturday morning by myself found out kinda late that this was the weekend so Saturday is all i got, no matter. Could be in hill country around noon or so but I know how troublesome it can be to hook up on the road....just make sure your GPS locators are on and I'll sneak up behind you guys...

Need to mount a set of 2CT's tomorrow and do some uploads to the garmin and should be close to ready... Would like to ride down from Fort Worth if anyone else cant get out till Saurday let me know. Thanks Mike for pulling this together Again!

Chris

• Member Contributer

Nixx, I'm good with any route you guys want to run and I have wanted to do the Devil's Backbone too! And yes, 55 does straighten out at the top. Can you email that S&T file to me? md_schroeder at sbcglobal.net

Hey Chris! Better late than never, huh? Glad you're gonna make it.

Now that I'm back in town I'll be tearing into the ol' girl tomorrow to see what's going on. Don't count me out just yet.

• Member Contributer
Nixx, I'm good with any route you guys want to run and I have wanted to do the Devil's Backbone too! And yes, 55 does straighten out at the top. Can you email that S&T file to me? md_schroeder at sbcglobal.net

Now that I'm back in town I'll be tearing into the ol' girl tomorrow to see what's going on. Don't count me out just yet.

S&T file sent. Feel free to modify, ignore, corrupt or whatever as you see fit.

Hope you get the "ol' girl" running, we need good ride leaders cuz nobody wants to follow my slow ass! :pissed:

Oh, and I wasn't really sure, is the Flaf coming down for this ride? I see you're marked as the Flaf Holder but I didn't see any official mention of it.

I'm headed out to explore NM/AZ (maybe a bit of south Utah) after leaving Kerrville so if it is headed out that way, I might be able to arrange a meet with someone.

• Member Contributer

S&T file sent. Feel free to modify, ignore, corrupt or whatever as you see fit.

Hope you get the "ol' girl" running, we need good ride leaders cuz nobody wants to follow my slow ass! :goofy:

Oh, and I wasn't really sure, is the Flaf coming down for this ride? I see you're marked as the Flaf Holder but I didn't see any official mention of it.

I'm headed out to explore NM/AZ (maybe a bit of south Utah) after leaving Kerrville so if it is headed out that way, I might be able to arrange a meet with someone.

Everybody stand by for a route change. For now, Saturday's ride will stay the same. Friday will change to Nixx's route. I will have printed routes available each morning for those interested.

Yep, the FLAF will be riding with me to Kerrville whether I get the bike going or not. The plan was to pass it off to Tightwad after the meet so he could take it with him to Arizona in November but you guys can work out who takes it. Here's a thread I started.

• Member Contributer

Dutch, What did I miss?

jim

• Member Contributer
Reminder: If you haven't already, call to confirm/double-check your reservations (see first post for details)

I called and reserved a room a couple months ago, but they just wrote my name down - wasn't very official....

It wouldn't hurt to check.

I called this morning to check and they only show that TWO of the rooms I blocked off have been reserved. It's gonna be a small gathering this year, huh?

• Member Contributer

It wouldn't hurt to check.

I called this morning to check and they only show that TWO of the rooms I blocked off have been reserved. It's gonna be a small gathering this year, huh?

Just confirmed my room, they've got me listed with your group, so I guess I'm the other one.

• Member Contributer

I called last week and they said they still had me on the list. Although once I said I was with Michael Schroeder and VFRD and just said "yeah, your in here." Kinda made me think that they never put the room in my name. Looking forward to getting away!!!

• Member Contributer
I called last week and they said they still had me on the list. Although once I said I was with Michael Schroeder and VFRD and just said "yeah, your in here." Kinda made me think that they never put the room in my name. Looking forward to getting away!!!

I've had a room reserved for a bit over a month. I just got off the phone with them and their response to the question, "do you have me as a part of the Micheal Schroder VFRd room block?" was "yes, you're with the 'motorcycle rally'." Mike's name seems to confuse them. I had the same feeling when I first reserved the room. I think what we have here is a failure to communicate. On the upside, it seems I do have a room, but on the downside, it's not at all clear what I'm really a part of. (not that there's anything new about that)

jim

• Member Contributer

Yeah, apparently the girl "Annette" that I set this up with is no longer there. Tonya mentioned this morning that they only have about 5 reservations for the entire hotel during those days. Makes you wonder?

Maybe something to do with the asbestos problems or plagues of locusts she mentioned. :beer:

Yeah, apparently the girl "Annette" that I set this up with is no longer there. Tonya mentioned this morning that they only have about 5 reservations for the entire hotel during those days. Makes you wonder?

Maybe something to do with the asbestos problems or plagues of locusts she mentioned. :beer:

Maybe thats a good sign, the more desolute the better the riding.

I'll be leavin the house about 5am on Saturday morning, should be down by 8 am , is that too early for you guys?

Archived