Gsxr Mirrors On 6th Gen

Darth Bling

• Member Contributer

CornerCarver you might just have something here. I have fitted one mount and with just a bit more fiddling it might just be spot on!

Thanks for the mod help.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I've been testing several different mounting combos (w/-w/out rubber gasket) and I'm still trying to remove vibration. The OEM stalks don't vibrate. Once I find a solution I will post up.

• 5 months later...

UPDATE:

After much legwork and emailing, I am personally in possession of the original CAD drawings for the original GSXR mirror adapters, designed by Mr. Darth Bling himself. (Thanks, DB!)

I have spent the last few months emailing them to various machine shops, both near me in SoCal and even to the same shop that Mr. Bling had them made at originally in Canada.

And I cannot really comprehend what followed, actually. I'd say I sent the drawings & info to 12 shops total. 3 or 4 didn't bother responding. A few others did, but only to tell me "not interested." Out of the 12, apparently 10 shops have all the money they need. Amazing to me.

The one in Canada must be out of bid-ness, even though their site is up, emails don't get bounced back, and phone messages go unreturned. So apparently, they got all the money they need too.

I finally got down to two folks locally that gave me pricing. I stopped there b/c I decided before I went any further, I'd better gauge interest, from you guys, as well as my own, actually.

You'd need two pieces (one for the L and one for the R mirror), and they are black just like the original ones. There's also a large phillips head screw for each one that apparently is drilled to allow the wires to pass thru and be hidden, which is good, b/c if the wires were outside the stalk I'd probably not want a set.

Anyhow, after all this talk/chatter about them, now is the time to say so if you think you'd REALLY want a set.

I posted photos at post #93, page 10 of this topic, if you wanna see what we're talking about again.

Oh! If you know/use a machine shop near you that you like and think could/would handle this, let me know that too. I'd be willing to get some more competitive pricing as well.

Edited by wgregt

• Member Contributer

I've not been able to adapt WERA's mounts to the GSXR mirrors without a fair bit of vibration. Can you confirm little to no vibration with DB's adaptors? If you find little to no vibration then I'm in.

I guess it really depends on the quantity. For a set of two (L+R) they were $150/set for 20 sets/buyers, and of course the more we needed the price would go do from there. If we got 50 buyers/sets it came out to about $50 a set/per person, as a rough estimate. I told the guy @ the machine shop I'd get back to him with a firm number, and then he could get back with a firmer price.

• Member Contributer

Just saw this thread. I've got a pair of Emgos wtih the DB adapters on my 5th gen. The increased visibiity is awesome.

But they DO vibrate more than stockers. Sometime I'd like to try a set of OEM GSXR mirrors in the hope that they're better engineered/built than the knockoffs, and won't vibrate as much.

But even with the Emgos, the tradeoff is worth it to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Had a chance this past weekend to mount up a pair of OEM GSXR mirrors in place of the Emgos, and wgregt was spot on. The OEMs are way more stable than the Emgos -- I can actually see what's behind me again!

So don't waste your time or money om Emgos. (But if you feel compelled to, I've got a pair I'll let go of for next to nothing.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have wired the mirrors -- had the Emgos wired as well. The wires go through the (hollow) scew that holds the stalk onto the base. The screw was supplied with DB's original kit. The only catch is that the wires will fit through the screw -- the connector will not. So you have to put connectors on after you run the wires.

• Member Contributer

Would this help??

http://www.emachineshop.com

No Mac software, so I'm out...

One of the companies I do business with used this company to make some special speaker mounts. If I recall, they did a good job on it and pricing was good for the number of mounts they needed.

Question, don't you have the CAD files for this already? I can probably get one of my business acquaintances to help if that is the case. That being said, I do have access to a 3D printer, maybe making a sample out of PVC would be a start. All I need is the CAD files to start.

I do have the CAD files, but I know nothing about CAD and a few of the places I sent them to said there was not enough info on them. But some of the vendors said they had everything they needed for a quote, so I don't know.

Is the 3D printer at your place? Sound like a weekend project if so?

• Member Contributer

I do have the CAD files, but I know nothing about CAD and a few of the places I sent them to said there was not enough info on them. But some of the vendors said they had everything they needed for a quote, so I don't know.

Is the 3D printer at your place? Sound like a weekend project if so?

The 3D printer is at my business partners house. Send me the files and I'll forward them to him and see if he can work with them. He is in the middle of a large project but he might be able to squeeze in some time to help out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So my business partner was able to use the CAD files that were given to Greg to print out these adapters with his 3D printer. He used PLA which came out pretty good but are probably not what you would want to use for real world applications but is a good proof of concept. So the question is who would be in for these if they were made from Aluminum? Probably going to use the emachineshop to get these made but needed to make sure the files given would be usable, which they appear to be. Pricing would be relative to quantity which is typical of most "one off" items needing to be made.

IMG_1753_zpsdbdebd9c.jpg

IMG_1751_zps97998ef1.jpg

IMG_1750_zpsa0ec1b4c.jpg

IMG_1749_zps1e275a5b.jpg