Air Pressure

vfral1

36/42 on M1/Z6

of course m1 is better grip tire than z6 too...

Hmmmm.... you run the exact same tire set-up as my Brother in Austin... He swears by that combo and is always trying to get me to throw an M1 in front of my Z6 rear.

i was trying to get decent performance and life. m1 sticks great and z6 rear still has life after 1 track day and 4k miles. i have bought a set of m3's though as they are supposed to have z6 mileage with m1 stick so we'll see.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
i have bought a set of m3's though as they are supposed to have z6 mileage with m1 stick so we'll see.

M3s are much better than M1s in performance, but don't expect z6 mileage from them. They last a LOT longer than M1s, but not that long. I think I was getting around 3K from a M3 rear and 1800 from an M1.

i have bought a set of m3's though as they are supposed to have z6 mileage with m1 stick so we'll see.

M3s are much better than M1s in performance, but don't expect z6 mileage from them. They last a LOT longer than M1s, but not that long. I think I was getting around 3K from a M3 rear and 1800 from an M1.

And how do they compare to the Pilot Power grip/mileage wise?

• Member Contributer

About the same, I think M3s get a few more miles, maybe 100-200. Grip in wet conditions is much better on the Powers though, which is why I keep using them even though I can get the M3s for about $30 less for a set.

• Member Contributer
36/42 on M1/Z6

Hmmmm.... you run the exact same tire set-up as my Brother in Austin... He swears by that combo and is always trying to get me to throw an M1 in front of my Z6 rear.

i was trying to get decent performance and life. m1 sticks great and z6 rear still has life after 1 track day and 4k miles. i have bought a set of m3's though as they are supposed to have z6 mileage with m1 stick so we'll see.

36 front / 42 rear on Pilot Roads.

I'd like to know how anyone gets over 3200 miles on any kind of rear except on flat land going 35mph.

I ride hard (for me) in the twisties (live in them) but actually slow down for anything but the short straights. I don't get any jollys out of going real fast on the longer straights. Rear tire mileage escapes me. :rolleyes:

I'd like to know how anyone gets over 3200 miles on any kind of rear except on flat land going 35mph.

Well, my old Suzuki Bandit put out 120hp to the wheel. I neve had a tire last more than 3k on that bike.

With my VFR putting down a whopping 80hp to the wheel, mileage has not been an issue. I'm rarely every going in a straight line or going under 35mph let alone both at the same time. I'm told I'm very smooth though, so that probably makes a difference. Of course, a properly set up suspension will help with tire wear too.

• Member Contributer

I got 7500 miles out of my last Z6...I don't drag parts, but do ride spiritedly and use alot of engine braking.

I got 7500 miles out of my last Z6...I don't drag parts, but do ride spiritedly and use alot of engine braking.

So far my pilot roads are lasting a decent amount. The rear is currently at 6500ish miles and I still have a bit left maybe at the most 1k. I've always been running the standard 36/42 and do a mix of 30% twisty fun and 70% commuting/street type stuff (this is my only form of transportation). I got my rear in San Fransisco and have rode it back and forth to S.F. from my house 3 times so far (~1100 mile trip up the coast at a fast pace). So far I'm impressed how long they lasted because BT-20's would only last 5k max. I usually hold off on changing the tire until I'm a week into the wear bars...ideally before it goes bald (hey tires are expensive for a college student that puts 25k a year on the bike).

• Member Contributer

36F/42R Pilot Roads

I've dropped the rear to 40 before but I couldn't perceive any difference. Of course, I've also unknowingly ridden a flat front tire and wondered why it felt "funny". :rolleyes:

Last Pilot Road rear got around 15K miles before I picked up a 3 inch spike. My front has around 16K miles but is developing some cupping.

Guest 767fixer
Am I the only person that changes for pavement temp? I feel it helps make up for the tires not getting up to temp. Running Metzler Z6's.

Input?....

in florida.....dont get much change in road temp....just warm...hot...and Hotter. If i was in a northern climate i would do the same as you :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I reckon up here in The Rocket City as headquarters for the twisties, I ride a bit more spiritedly based on tire wear.

And, NO, I don't ride 35 in a straight line. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

40f/42r is better I think. 36psi would work ok if you are doing a lot of hard cornering, which most riders do not. If you are actually riding hard then I would suggest 34f/36r.

• 2 weeks later...

I was running 34-36 front and 40 rear, but found that the sports Azaro on the front had very soft sidewalls/carcase, so I've bumped it up to 38, and dropped the rear to 37-38. This stops the bike flopping into corners, and the front end wandering on coarse-chip seal (which we have a LOT of here).

In the winter, I had to drop the rear to 36 as it spun up to easily in the wet.

• Member Contributer

So far my pilot roads are lasting a decent amount. The rear is currently at 6500ish miles and I still have a bit left maybe at the most 1k. I've always been running the standard 36/42 and do a mix of 30% twisty fun and 70% commuting/street type stuff (this is my only form of transportation). I got my rear in San Fransisco and have rode it back and forth to S.F. from my house 3 times so far (~1100 mile trip up the coast at a fast pace). So far I'm impressed how long they lasted because BT-20's would only last 5k max. I usually hold off on changing the tire until I'm a week into the wear bars...ideally before it goes bald (hey tires are expensive for a college student that puts 25k a year on the bike).

For my current Pilot Roads I run 36/38 instead of 36/42. Looks like I will get at least 6,500 miles out of rear maybe more instead of 5K with a flat spot in the middle. The wear is now almost uniform on the rear. I do mostly MT Roads and "mostly" stay below 80 and ride year around including loading sport touring but no two up. (Wing for that). I weigh too much!

With lops, BT20s and the other Pilot I ran factory rec pressures and never got more than 5000 out of a rear with about 6500 out of front.

I mostly run just over the stock recommended pressures of 36 and 42 psi. I am a heavy rider tho, so I when I check/inflate my tires at home I'll usually add a few psi before I take the chuck off the valve. I figure I may lose a 1 psi while removing the chuck and then I'll still have a couple extra psi per tire to haul my big arse down the road!

BTW, I got 7600 mi. out of the stock Bridgestones before the rear tire showed cords. Actually, it was 4200 mi. from the original owner (a lighter bloke than me) and 3400 mi. since I've owned the bike. Got a nice used rear tire courtesy of 'tooslow' here on VFRD. That should last me 'til at least spring. Planning to buy a set of Pilot Roads after that.

I had 5,000 mile on a Z6 (front), it was wearing beautifully (screw killed it), by the look it should have gotton somewhere around 8 to 9,000 mile.

I've got about 3500 miles on a pilot power (front) it showing a little wear and some mild feathering, it's probably good to around 6,000+ miles.

36/42 on M1/Z6

36 front / 42 rear on Pilot Roads.

I ride hard (for me) in the twisties (live in them) but actually slow down for anything but the short straights. I don't get any jollys out of going real fast on the longer straights. Rear tire mileage escapes me. :unsure:

Anything in the real sticky realm on the rear, your right on the life. I have no choice but to run harder compounds on the rear to aid life and my Pocketbook. The question comes down to how much traction your willing to sacrifice for increased milege.

IMO anyone who runs 1500 or 2000 miles a month will not be happy with sub 5,000 mile tires, although I guess there could be 1 or 2 eccentric types who have no qualms dishing on tire money frequently.

I currently have 29/35 :unsure: It seems that all of the gas stations in town (this town has 2) have broken air pumps. Rode to Mojave JUST TO PUT AIR IN THE TIRES (Mojave has like 14 gas stations) every single air pump..........broken. <_< WTH is wrong with this place???? Looks like I am going to need to buy my own air compressor just so I can keep my tires at my prefered 36/42.

• Member Contributer
I currently have 29/35 :unsure: It seems that all of the gas stations in town (this town has 2) have broken air pumps. Rode to Mojave JUST TO PUT AIR IN THE TIRES (Mojave has like 14 gas stations) every single air pump..........broken. <_< WTH is wrong with this place???? Looks like I am going to need to buy my own air compressor just so I can keep my tires at my prefered 36/42.

Just get a tire inflater from an auto parts store for like $20.

6'2" and around 205lbs. On my '02 VFR800 I currently have Michelin Pilot Powers which replaced my Dunlop D208's. With both I run 36 front and 42 rear. When I raced on the track with my old ZX-6R, then of course you run much lower pressures. But for the street, if I needed more grip than these Pilot Powers provide at the stock pressures, chances are I'm riding much too fast for street conditions or I've already binned it and the laws of physics haven't quite caught up.

Archived