helmet hair?

Guest scooter996

Guest scooter996

I am in sales and would love to ride my VFR to work. Not that its a big problem but I would like to be able to take my helmet off and not have that crazy of hair style. I visit 10-12 facilities a day so its helmet on helmet off constantly. Does anyone make a liner that would help me to elimate the probelm? No shaving my head is not an option.

I am in sales and would love to ride my VFR to work.  Not that its a big problem but I would like to be able to take my helmet off and not have that crazy of hair style.  I visit 10-12 facilities a day so its helmet on helmet off constantly.  Does anyone make a liner that would help me to elimate the probelm? No shaving my head is not an option.

There's this silk under helmet hood that you can buy off the US motorcycling magazines (look at the back ad pages.) A lot of people swear that they work great. I duuno, I've tried a few similar products before but I still come out as a hair monster everytime I take off the helmet anyway!

Best solution for most is a short haircut.

Beck

95 VFR

I solved the problem by getting a short hair cut. I like my new hairstyle now. It was roughly 10 years without a change and way overdue.

Guest jgroom

I am also in sales and use my bike for sales call. The best way to keep your hair from getting too crazy is having a short haircut. I also wear a doo-rag which I tighten pretty tight, after straightening my hair as best as possible. That works pretty good and keeps me from getting strange helmet lines.

My wife also bought this wax stuff for me. This is kind of cool because it stays pliable all day so you can make easy adjustments after taking off your helmet.

Oh man, I just read my post, and I think I'm turning into a chick :o

Check out the Silky helment liner - Whitehorse Press carries them:

Silky at Whitehorse Press

Works to contain your hair, but of course if you are sweating it is not going to wick the sweat away... :P

I suffer from helment beard, too - I just carry a comb. <_<

• Member Contributer

+1.gif I have about 3 inches less hair now. I love it. However, my helmet feels a ittle bit bigger now. :blink:

I solved the problem by getting a short hair cut.  I like my new hairstyle.

• Member Contributer
I solved the problem by getting a short hair cut.  I like my new hairstyle now.  It was roughly 10 years without a change and way overdue.

My thought exactly...fortunately for us thining hair guys the buzz cut look is in. My hair is all of 1/4" long. Very easy to style. :P

I use one of those helmet liner thingamajigs. While they don't get rid of helmet hair, they do make helmet hair less severe. My hair is medium in length and without the liner I get hairs poking me in the forehead, very annoying. And another bonus of the liner is that it makes putting your helmet on a breeze since the material is nice and slick, unlike your hair and ears.

• Member Contributer
My thought exactly...fortunately for us thining hair guys the buzz cut look is in.  My hair is all of 1/4" long.  Very easy to style. :P

:blink: Mine isn't thinning, but the opposite, way too thick, have to cut short to keep cool. I use one of these as well, Silks Helmet Liner. Won't ever ride with out one again, Keeps the hair not so matted, and keeps the sweat off.

And another bonus of the liner is that it makes putting your helmet on a breeze since the material is nice and slick, unlike your hair and ears.

... and fast, cause the moment that one is exposed wearing just the silky one looks so gorby. :blink:

Sounds like some nice womens pantyhose would do the trick!

If you came to a sales call riding a motorcycle and wearing womens pantyhose on your head, I would buy whatever you told me to... just on principal alone!

• Member Contributer

I wear a coolmax do rag without the little fake ass tabs on it. Just looks like a big yarmulke, serves two purposes reduces helmet hair(not a problem since I run high and tight) and it keeps the helmet from funking to hell and back. Newenough for around $11.

• Member Contributer

my hair isn't thinning, I just got some clippers and cut that bad boy down to a #1 or so. Repeat every saturday. Not only will you not have any helmet head, but your head will stay a lot cooler under that helmet. And as has already been mentioned, the super short buzz cut is the "in" style now anyway. Grow a goat to go with it :blink:

• Member Contributer

If you have shorter hair, try this stuff out out. As someone mentioned earlier it stays pliable all day so you can fix your hair back with your fingers when you remove the helmet. It doesn't make your hair "hard" and flake off like most gels.

300.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I use hair gel, water, and a comb at work. The gel is applied at home, and the water and comb when I get to work. Otherwise, short hair, which by the way is fast going out of style if you look at what the kids are sporting. My 15 year old has long hair now. I have to fight with him to keep it out of his eyes!

There's a hair product called "Shatter - Short Sexy Hair" (or is it "Sexy Short Hair"?). It was promoted by those "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" guys. My wife uses it to eliminate flat helmet hair.

I don't have any hair, so I have absolutely no (ZERO!) sympathy for anyone who complains about messy hair, hair needing cutting, that sort of thing.

I ride to work almost every day. Fortunately for me, once I am here I don't leave and come back. I don't do anything with my hair until I get to work, and then I style it. Though, I do use hair wax product, and that seems to keep it from getting to out of control.

Later,

Jeff

Guest VFRROBIN
I wear a coolmax do rag without the little fake ass tabs on it. Just looks like a big yarmulke, serves two purposes reduces helmet hair(not a problem since I run high and tight) and it keeps the helmet from funking to hell and back. Newenough for around $11.

High and tight? can we all get a OOOHHH Raahhh

• Member Contributer
I use hair gel, water, and a comb at work. The gel is applied at home, and the water and comb when I get to work. Otherwise, short hair, which by the way is fast going out of style if you look at what the kids are sporting. My 15 year old has long hair now. I have to fight with him to keep it out of his eyes!

I have noticed all the kids around here look like they are from the seventies, is that the style now?

I keep mine shaved on a #1 guard. Low maintenance and cool, would never have in any other way.

Guest elwood_617

I keep my hair at the #1 gaurd and use a silk helmet liner. The liner sort of prevents helmet head. Instead of wierd designs in your hair, you have a rather compressed look. At least that's what my Arai did to my hair, before I started shaving it off that is.

I am also in sales and I do cut my hair short in the summer. A larger problem to me than my hair is riding gear. What kind of clothing do you have to wear for your sales job and do you put on and take off gear at every call?

I can't see myself with a buzz cut or shaved head. Helmet hair it is. :thumbsup:

I've grown a beard a few times, even a goatee.

But someone poisoned my mind long ago saying,

A goatee is just a bumper guard on a high speed c***s***er.

No goatee for me. Apologies to any goatee wearers. :beer:

• Member Contributer
I can't see myself with a buzz cut or shaved head. Helmet hair it is.  :thumbsup:

I've grown a beard a few times, even a goatee.

But someone poisoned my mind long ago saying,

A goatee is just a bumper guard on a high speed c***s***er.

No goatee for me. Apologies to any goatee wearers.  :beer:

Goatees are like the mullet of the 90s... some people just won't let go.

Archived