Painting Honda Color Codes

• Member Contributer

I have a 1999 Honda VFR800 in Pearl Yellow with a set of Corbin Beetle Bags.

The Corbin bags have some damage from a tip over sometime in it's life and I would like to have them repaired and painted to match the Honda yellow.

My question is have you guys that have painted using the Honda Codes had good luck matching existing paint ?

287261661_7604160599658911_1016531068868183123_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

If it's just touch-up and not spraying.... I bought a 3 part kit from England once, from ebay.  If you Google the paint code and Pearl Shining Yellow........

Try this one  https://scratcheshappen.ca/shop/touch-up-paint/honda-pearl-shining-yellow-y-124p/

• Member Contributer

You can get pretty much any size of spray can, touch ups or just tins of paint since it’s a standard Honda colour 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Hingley said:

I have a 1999 Honda VFR800 in Pearl Yellow with a set of Corbin Beetle Bags.

The Corbin bags have some damage from a tip over sometime in it's life and I would like to have them repaired and painted to match the Honda yellow.

My question is have you guys that have painted using the Honda Codes had good luck matching existing paint ?

287261661_7604160599658911_1016531068868183123_n.jpg

Color Rite sells a 3 part kit that I tried using to no success. It was tough to match. You may have better luck 

Pearl paint of any color is a tough match. It is a three stage paint. I talked to a VFR owner who's job was repairing high end Italian sports cars who happened to have a pearl yellow bike with some scratches. He said it would be easier to paint the whole bike again. I have an 07 Candy Glory Red and have been able to fill in some small scratches with a touchup brush and wet sanding. You don't see them until you are less than three feet away.

• Member Contributer

There is going to be some sun fading too, so if it's just touching up a coupla scratches, OK.  Red is the worst for sun fading, yellow more forgiving.. if you have to spray something, and if it's say down low where nobody can really tell, then go for it.  If elsewhere,  paint the whole panel but best if it's separated by say black..... only place for that is at the seat, lol.

The small kit I got from Britain was 3 part.... touch-up only.  Don't see it listed now.

• Member Contributer

This is great information to help me decide the best way to repair the Corbin bags.

I will say that the Corbin yellow is not a perfect match to the VFR's Pearl Yellow, and this is not going to help with the color matching

Attached you can see the damage to the left bag, a larger area than I thought when I was sent the pictures before I bought the bike over the phone

IMG_3945.thumb.JPG.63b8f34f63d26bd5aa1442df5429fda6.JPG

Anyway it is what it is, I remembered there were a couple of custom paint companies years ago and I see they are still around, ( House of Kolor and Color Rite ), I checked out Color Rite and they list the correct Honda paint code but it is a two part paint, with a base color and top color, this falls in line with what I read about Honda paints years ago, that a great many of them were colored base coats with colored top coats to get the final color

It looks like I will have to take the bag and perhaps the tail section ( for true bike color ) and see what the local paint guys say, in this area I bet they are going to get a laugh when I ask if they can match or blend the paint in

• Member Contributer

Just paint them both the same black. 🙂

• Member Contributer
On 2/1/2024 at 4:36 AM, Hingley said:

Sweeper makes some good points, and I'd add that Honda didn't do all that well matching the look of the various panels on my yellow '99. There was a really noticeable difference in the yellow of the left & right side panels vs. the upper cowl - from when the bike was brand new. Whether it was primer/base colour or different material or a combination, who knows. Fwiw, none of my other VFRs had a noticeable colour mismatch.

• Member Contributer

The Color Rite stuff matches very, very well.  I sprayed a front fender and other panels I couldnt get new parts for in 2020 and they are still dead on for the NOS parts on the bike.