Mirrors - odd question

Ilyak

Hi guys,

Just got myself a 6th gen. Have a K1600GT and NC750X and wanted something a bit more nimble and fun for London commuting. Rode the VFR and couldn’t stop grinning so instantly swapped NC for it. Amazing what an extra 50cc and stepping back a decade can do!

One thing I liked for city traffic is it’s narrow including mirrors. Except I couldn’t really adjust them well to see much beyond my elbows. Maybe I’ll get used to it but I think they’re flat and I’m closer than on the other bikes.

Given that I’ll spend a lot of time in London with all manner of people trying to kill me from all directions, has anyone ever tried mirrors which look ok, don’t stick out much more and give a better field of view?

I’m expecting answers like don’t let revs drop below 7000rpm and you won’t need to worry about anything behind you but just in case anyone else has done this let me know.

• Member Contributer

Just to check - do you have stock mirrors?  They're plenty wide enough for me.  Most of the mods are for shorter stem mirrors for looks over safety.  Or no mirrors. 🤦‍♂️

• Member Contributer

Really difficult with most current mirror designs to combine good rear view with narrow frontal aspect. 

I use mirror extenders on 2 of my VFRs, the Crossrunner doesn't need them, but then I don't do London filtering. 

Have you considered rear cameras? That's the only way I can think of to solve your issue. 

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Ilyak said:

Hi guys,

Just got myself a 6th gen. Have a K1600GT and NC750X and wanted something a bit more nimble and fun for London commuting. Rode the VFR and couldn’t stop grinning so instantly swapped NC for it. Amazing what an extra 50cc and stepping back a decade can do!

One thing I liked for city traffic is it’s narrow including mirrors. Except I couldn’t really adjust them well to see much beyond my elbows. Maybe I’ll get used to it but I think they’re flat and I’m closer than on the other bikes.

Given that I’ll spend a lot of time in London with all manner of people trying to kill me from all directions, has anyone ever tried mirrors which look ok, don’t stick out much more and give a better field of view?

I’m expecting answers like don’t let revs drop below 7000rpm and you won’t need to worry about anything behind you but just in case anyone else has done this let me know.

The situation is pretty much the same on the 5th gens. I cut some thick gaskets out of a mud flap to use as extenders. They have worked pretty well and look...meh, okay. I broke one of my mirrors, so I'll be replacing it with an Emgo. They are an aftermarket copy of the stock mirrors. I think they work pretty good. This time, I'll be buying, or 3D printing, some extenders.

I don't like riding without mirrors (both sides). I want to know what's going on around me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 9:21 AM, Skids said:

Really difficult with most current mirror designs to combine good rear view with narrow frontal aspect. 

I use mirror extenders on 2 of my VFRs, the Crossrunner doesn't need them, but then I don't do London filtering. 

Have you considered rear cameras? That's the only way I can think of to solve your issue. 

If we could just get a slightly larger lens with a bit of curvature similar size and placing would be good. I think I’ve found best position but it’s tricky.

• Member Contributer

Just add car blind spot mirrors above the stock ones. There are some that are semi circular designed to sit above a car mirror in a conformal manner. I use one on my cars driver side and it makes a huge difference. 

On my 5th gen I just angle them out wide so my elbows only show in the very inner & the mirror gives a wider field of view. That said I have GSXR indicator mirrors that have a better range of movement having a separate mirror to the shell. 

• Member Contributer

I find putting my elbows down so forearms are flat and parallel to ground gets them out of way.

from this:

uc?export=download&id=1kExBUCHlvw6fEHyei

to this:

uc?export=download&id=1sLvrO2tTEIQ1JZTxg

uc?export=download&id=1iDIVeJAhTbWLq37uk

Archived